Rated 1 out of 5 by OregonTraveler Is 'trendy' an excuse for a poor facility?
When I saw 'Trendy' as a sales point, I was not quite sure what to expect. I did not expect - nothing.
1. I flew in from the west coast on a Sunday and attempted to check in two hours early, I was told to come back after 3pm. Ok, small irritation, but I have always been allowed early check in when I needed it at other hotels.
2. Upon check in, I was told that the credit card transaction that I was told had occurred on the phone actually had not occurred. I asked specifically on the phone if I would need the card I made the reservation with and was told 'no.' When I checked in, they told me I needed the card. It was my boss's corporate card and I was not about to put a four night stay on my personal card and hope to be reimbursed for the inflated hotel rate. Communication occurred between the front desk and my supervisor and the appropriate approvals were given, Upon check out, I was informed that they had not communicated with the card holder and again, had to go through communication with my supervisor a second time to gain approval for the charge. The issue was not finally resolved until just about four hours AFTER I checked out.
3. In the room: The coffee was good, and the bed was very comfortable to sleep on. Those are the only two positives about the room. No microwave, no fridge, the iron was hidden under the bed and took me half a day to find. The walls were badly marked up, the ceiling was unfinished (I'm talking sheet rock that had been whitewashed and not even taped or textured) the sheet rock around the windows was badly broken and unfinished and the shower still had construction scuffs and pencil marks for what must have been the glass wall placement process. There was no dresser, I can't remember the last time I had to live out of my suitcase for a several day business stay anywhere! The only furniture in the room was a small office/task chair at a smallish desk. The room decor was hideous. clashing colors of green and blue on the floor and walls and the window coverings were mostly white with some small stripes of clashing colors near the bottom. oh, and the phone did not work at all - it beeped continuously when it was plugged in. The only direct lighting in the room was a small lamp on the desk. The rest was some sort of indirect mood lighting which made it very hard to read and study after work. Television was very limited as well, I believe there were less than 20 available channels on the nice big flat screen. The soap and shampoo that were offered seemed very nice at first, but for some reason took some real work to rinse off and out of my hair. Not sure what the deal was there. Lastly, there was no in room directory of services for either the hotel itself or the surrounding area.
4. Other expectations: No ice on the floor I was on, I had to go down to the lobby to get ice. No complimentary - anything. All other mid range hotels I have stayed at have had some sort of complimentary breakfast and snacks offered whether it be bagels and fruit or hot waffles, and biscuits and gravy. The Aloft offered nothing complimentary, but charged outrageously inflated prices for simple snack and breakfast items.
5. social interaction: The Aloft seems to market its encouragement for interaction as a selling point. All of the public areas for gathering have very uncomfortable seating and working arrangements. The couches are the very low backed and very wide between the front of the couch and the back, so to lean back puts you in a laying down position. Quite uncomfortable for me being a married man attempting to do business with a lady from another state who is also similarly involved. There was no way to relax a bit and feel like we were still conducting business so all of our dealings were done literally on the edge of our seats.
6. Business amenities: I could not use my laptop to print on the available printers, but had to save off my work on a thumb drive and print from it. I had some color charts I needed printed, but was told that only black and white printing was available. Again, small irritation, but for a business class hotel, color printing is definitely an expectation. What really got me about this was that later that day, the front desk offered suggestions about a Chinese food restaurant across town and printed me a map from Google . . . in color. Arrrgghhh! I would have paid $.50 or $1.00 a page to be able to print my 2 normal letter sized charts in color.
7. The area: Lots of dining options, some overpriced, some reasonable. No really useful stores or services within walking distance. No drug stores, no corner markets, no grocery stores, office supply or stationary stores, print shops, nothing but fluff within walking distance of this hotel. When I asked the front desk, they confirmed saying that anything really useful was at least a mile away. I am used to business class hotels that are in a district where you can get a highlighter, a sharpie or an extra pad of paper if you need it. Not here.
8. Parking: Not terrible, but you do have to go outside of the parking structure to enter the hotel. Not a big deal to me, but for the kind of area it is and the kind of fluff that pass for amenities here, I would have figured on a direct entrance to the hotel from the parking structure.
To be fair, I had a very full schedule of meetings and study and did not visit the pool or the gym.
I had the distinct feeling that this was the last room available for my duration of stay. If my room experience was non-standard, the Aloft would have been better served to recommend another venue rather than to represent themselves as poorly as they did for my stay. The room was only one aspect of the stay though and even if it had been up to an acceptable standard, the rest of the experience would still discourage me from staying here again.
May 17, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Albuquerque222 Great location
The usual amenities were missed such as shower cap shoe shine cloth and drawers/shelves
The shower head did not rinse off soap easily especially hair shampoo
Coffee pot disastrous and not enough pods for two persons
Lack of room service a problem for breakfast. Didn't know there was some food in lobby until check out and it was too late
I like the style very much
July 24, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Susjay Great stay!
Love this hotel. Clean and updated! I love the area and all the restaurants and stores to walk to. The parking was easy.
August 1, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by PCG714 Business Travel
Stayed for business meeting. Reception in Tactic was great. Nearby shopping and restaurants was impressive. Very efficient stay.
July 31, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by HoneyCat2014 Air Conditioner
The airconditioner is extremely loud!
August 1, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Miguel1963 Once more at ALoft KC
I have stayed at this property many times. Generally I love aLoft hotels. This time I was a bid disappointed. The lobby area was somewhat dirty, the breakfast sandwiches which generally are very good, were cold. The TV did not work properly in the room. I reported it and they were not able to fix. I was very surprise that the front desk did not do anything to make it up for me in some other way. Not sure if I will return.
July 19, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Barb46 Stay at Leawood Kansas ALoft
We have stayed at this hotel a few times. We did not have a good experience with one of your members, Jacob. He was less than helpful, and did not abide by our reservation which included breakfast. He argued with me, and told me I did not have that in my reservation. When I showed him the paper that said I did, he would not take off the price of our breakfast and was quite rude.
If you are supposed to be a service oriented profession, this team member does not meet the criteria.
The next day I spoke to Kristen, who was not only quite pleasant, but very helpful. She corrected the problem, and included a hand written note with our statement.
My husband and I were quite disappointed in our stay.
May 20, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Titin Bad Design
The room was badly designed as to the position of the air conditioning. The room was always either too cold or too warm. The air unit is noisy disturbing my slieep all night.
July 29, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by DavidF8 Nice hotel
Perfect location and very nice hotel. Won't stay anywhere else in the area.
July 31, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by OPB357 kansas city
excellent hotel I will come back with out a doubt
July 31, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by vaneviel Excelen t Hotel
Thank you for your hospitality....
July 31, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Gwen2012 This hotel has very pleasant and responsive staff
Special thanks to Rosa, Cathy Bruno, and the "new guy" that worked on 7/26/2014, for making my overnight experience with 5 little people, a very pleasant one.
July 28, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Wishitwerebetter Wanted to like hotel
The location is awesome and I really wanted this to be a good hotel due to future travel to Leawood. Rooms were clean, but the air conditioning unit is so loud and cuts off and on all night. You go from freezing and loud to hot and quite all night long. When the air conditioning is on you can't hear the TV so you have to continuously hold the remote to turn the volume up and down. Not a good night sleep at all. The constant on and off and hot cold doesn't lead to good nights sleep. Also,my invoice emailed to me was incorrect.
June 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Robert1969 Great Stay
This is the first time staying at an Aloft hotel. This has got to be one of the best places I have stayed. The people were friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was upbeat and welcoming. The room was very modern and exciting. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.
July 21, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by SolderKing Front Desk
The check location was a little strange being on the second floor. No one down below to help with directions or bagage or parking instructions. Also the front desk help did not look or act the part of a first class hotel. To busy talking to each other. Dress code could be a little better.
July 20, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by DGH4 Great location. Clean facities.
This hotel is in a great location for walking to restauraunts and shopping during the stay. It has easy access to the hiway. The only negative is the parking is a block away. That is only a negative if it is raining. Hotel is clean, very cool and nice public areas. The rooms are very nice.
July 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by LouAnn5 Breakfast in the sun!
Each morning of my stay I would eat my breakfast on the patio enjoying the sunshine. What a great way to start the day!
July 21, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Belle257 Great Hotel
This hotel is clean, and courteous. The access to shopping is phenomenal.
July 21, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Gene2012 Never going back
This was the second time we stayed at this hotel. The first time we were given a room for handicap, i wanted to be understanding that they had no other rooms. This time we were sent first to a room that was never cleaned after the previous guests, went back to the desk and asked for a different room and sure enough we were given another room for people with disabilities. The hotel was not full, it was very clear that they just didn't like that we paid with points. I have noticed that on a few occasions. We are never going back again. The area is very nice, but the treatment was very nasty.
December 29, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Fifi98 We were underwhelmed.
The "closet" is ridiculous. The housekeeping was bad, including removing toilet paper and not replacing, leaving dirty plastic glasses one day (you can't even provide glass?) and then no glasses the next day. The bathroom was so small and liquid bath soap is gross. No towel rack by sink means messy. On the weekend the bar closed too early, but maybe you have too much competition in the area. It was never open for me to spend my $25 for more points.
June 30, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by CyndiS First come first serve
Checked in around 7am. Did not like the handicap room! They say they were sold out!!
July 20, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GretL Great
Great location, Friendly staff.
July 21, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JessB426 Great Place to Stay
It was close to everything we needed, Shopping and dining for our girls weekend. Staff was very nice and helpful.
July 18, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by jerry1965 Slippery
The hotel billed me for a $140.00 "early check-out fee". I travel quite a bit and this is a new one to me. When I called the hotel the front desk attendant and manager were both unhelpful. The charge wasn't on my final bill at check-out, but was instead charged to my card three days later.
The quality of the room for the price was below average. The mattresses were uncomfortable and the rooms were furnished with cheap dorm-room type furnishings.
I couldn't use the electric plug at the night table to charge my phone because it wasn't properly secured into the wall. The plug would come out of the wall each time I went to unplug my phone creating a safety risk. I ended up using the outlet in the bathroom which was inconvenient.
Disappointing experience. Needless to say I will not be staying at another aloft hotel anytime soon.
June 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Todd135 Great location for business meetings
We were I town to visit 2 clients. We hosted a lunch at Pig & Finch and dinner at 801 Chophouse. Took a cab to MCI in the morning. Fitness center is well done, lots of space. I walked into the pool area but did not use it, seems very clean. I will be back.
July 12, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by STLKA Hotel was..okay.
Overall the hotel was pretty nice, I was however very disappointed with a few incidents in the room. While showering, the drain was NOT draining and therefore the shower had to be quick otherwise the the water was going to overflow the sides and cause a big mess. After showering, it took a good 10 minutes before the water had drained. The other issue was when we turned the heat on, it would kick on about every 10 minutes blasting air very loudly then turn off and this happened all night.
I talked to the front desk at check out and she just appologized and was less than helpful.
January 8, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by cigargirl Aloft_ Leawood
Hotel was comfortable and a wonderful value.
July 16, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Peacefulsleep Night club?
This is not a hotel, but a night club where loud music is played after 10pm, manager on duty said he could not do anything about it and threatened to throw me out if I kept complained, it was like been inside a boom box. Next day, I asked if they would have another party and was told that nothing was programmed, to our surprise we are listening to some loud religious music, if we knew we would have made other arrangements. Very disappointed how the problem got handled by the hotel staff.
June 8, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by DDG61 This hotel is in a great location, so close to restaurants.
I've stayed here many times and always have a good experience.
July 14, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Anita0317 Great Atmosphere
The decor was definitely pretty awesome to say the least. Our ALoft experience started out rocky. They booked us for Friday night and then when I did finally book a room it was 30 dollars more than on line. One particular girl at the front desk Brittany did everything possible to fix this.Still working on getting my refund for the wrong night. The heater of the salt water pool was broken which was very disappointing as we looked forward to swimming in the midst of winter.Aside from that our stay was fun. I must say the staff was exceptional and made our stay a nice one, with the exception of the rude girl, Brandy at the front desk, Maybe she should be considered for house keeping. I cant wait till we stay there again.
February 24, 2012