Rated 1 out of 5 by OregonTraveler Is 'trendy' an excuse for a poor facility?
When I saw 'Trendy' as a sales point, I was not quite sure what to expect. I did not expect - nothing.
1. I flew in from the west coast on a Sunday and attempted to check in two hours early, I was told to come back after 3pm. Ok, small irritation, but I have always been allowed early check in when I needed it at other hotels.
2. Upon check in, I was told that the credit card transaction that I was told had occurred on the phone actually had not occurred. I asked specifically on the phone if I would need the card I made the reservation with and was told 'no.' When I checked in, they told me I needed the card. It was my boss's corporate card and I was not about to put a four night stay on my personal card and hope to be reimbursed for the inflated hotel rate. Communication occurred between the front desk and my supervisor and the appropriate approvals were given, Upon check out, I was informed that they had not communicated with the card holder and again, had to go through communication with my supervisor a second time to gain approval for the charge. The issue was not finally resolved until just about four hours AFTER I checked out.
3. In the room: The coffee was good, and the bed was very comfortable to sleep on. Those are the only two positives about the room. No microwave, no fridge, the iron was hidden under the bed and took me half a day to find. The walls were badly marked up, the ceiling was unfinished (I'm talking sheet rock that had been whitewashed and not even taped or textured) the sheet rock around the windows was badly broken and unfinished and the shower still had construction scuffs and pencil marks for what must have been the glass wall placement process. There was no dresser, I can't remember the last time I had to live out of my suitcase for a several day business stay anywhere! The only furniture in the room was a small office/task chair at a smallish desk. The room decor was hideous. clashing colors of green and blue on the floor and walls and the window coverings were mostly white with some small stripes of clashing colors near the bottom. oh, and the phone did not work at all - it beeped continuously when it was plugged in. The only direct lighting in the room was a small lamp on the desk. The rest was some sort of indirect mood lighting which made it very hard to read and study after work. Television was very limited as well, I believe there were less than 20 available channels on the nice big flat screen. The soap and shampoo that were offered seemed very nice at first, but for some reason took some real work to rinse off and out of my hair. Not sure what the deal was there. Lastly, there was no in room directory of services for either the hotel itself or the surrounding area.
4. Other expectations: No ice on the floor I was on, I had to go down to the lobby to get ice. No complimentary - anything. All other mid range hotels I have stayed at have had some sort of complimentary breakfast and snacks offered whether it be bagels and fruit or hot waffles, and biscuits and gravy. The Aloft offered nothing complimentary, but charged outrageously inflated prices for simple snack and breakfast items.
5. social interaction: The Aloft seems to market its encouragement for interaction as a selling point. All of the public areas for gathering have very uncomfortable seating and working arrangements. The couches are the very low backed and very wide between the front of the couch and the back, so to lean back puts you in a laying down position. Quite uncomfortable for me being a married man attempting to do business with a lady from another state who is also similarly involved. There was no way to relax a bit and feel like we were still conducting business so all of our dealings were done literally on the edge of our seats.
6. Business amenities: I could not use my laptop to print on the available printers, but had to save off my work on a thumb drive and print from it. I had some color charts I needed printed, but was told that only black and white printing was available. Again, small irritation, but for a business class hotel, color printing is definitely an expectation. What really got me about this was that later that day, the front desk offered suggestions about a Chinese food restaurant across town and printed me a map from Google . . . in color. Arrrgghhh! I would have paid $.50 or $1.00 a page to be able to print my 2 normal letter sized charts in color.
7. The area: Lots of dining options, some overpriced, some reasonable. No really useful stores or services within walking distance. No drug stores, no corner markets, no grocery stores, office supply or stationary stores, print shops, nothing but fluff within walking distance of this hotel. When I asked the front desk, they confirmed saying that anything really useful was at least a mile away. I am used to business class hotels that are in a district where you can get a highlighter, a sharpie or an extra pad of paper if you need it. Not here.
8. Parking: Not terrible, but you do have to go outside of the parking structure to enter the hotel. Not a big deal to me, but for the kind of area it is and the kind of fluff that pass for amenities here, I would have figured on a direct entrance to the hotel from the parking structure.
To be fair, I had a very full schedule of meetings and study and did not visit the pool or the gym.
I had the distinct feeling that this was the last room available for my duration of stay. If my room experience was non-standard, the Aloft would have been better served to recommend another venue rather than to represent themselves as poorly as they did for my stay. The room was only one aspect of the stay though and even if it had been up to an acceptable standard, the rest of the experience would still discourage me from staying here again.
May 17, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by PeterNo1 not my cup of tea at all
First it has no parking, no valet parking, no rooms with a bathtub and only a sort of gas station food selection. The rooms are decorated like a Jetsons set. After discovering they had no rooms with bathtubs (which after traveling all day is a nice option) I left to another hotel chain, and was billed for my 4 minutes at this Aloft. I now have this word ALOFT on my list of DO NOT BOOK ME HERE with my travel coordinators. Peter Noone World Traveller and use hotels 100 nights a year.
May 29, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Pedalpusher Needs some TLC
I am a loyal SPG, but man Aloft - don't be lazy!
Fix all the broken issues (lights, TV, etc..), and if the alarm clock is broken or missing, replace it!
Seems like you guys need to pay attention to the small stuff that made you great?
June 4, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Heather88 Disappointed
AC was sooo loud, horrible parking, no bell hop or carts available to take luggage to rooms, checking in 2nd floor so had to leave the car to check in, no breakfast with room price, rooms are dark, clocks blind you when trying to sleep so I am not a fan, sorry Aloft
June 2, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by pennyjo1992 Hotel in a wonderful location
Location in KC great! I wish there was a way to turn on the light in the bathroom without lighting up most of the rest of the room. The showers did not have any water pressure and the softner in the water made you feel like you had a hard time washing soap off your body or out of your hair. Several others traveling in our party had the same issue.
May 28, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by maggiemacbee Great location, service
Overall was great hotel. Noisy a/c, but they are replacing units soon. Good fitness room, location. Parking a block away was a hassle, tho.
Left item in hotel, staff said they would call, but never did.
Excellent service from employees.
One of our friends never received a roll-away bed, even after 3 calls. Her review will be different from mine!
May 26, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Gene2012 Never going back
This was the second time we stayed at this hotel. The first time we were given a room for handicap, i wanted to be understanding that they had no other rooms. This time we were sent first to a room that was never cleaned after the previous guests, went back to the desk and asked for a different room and sure enough we were given another room for people with disabilities. The hotel was not full, it was very clear that they just didn't like that we paid with points. I have noticed that on a few occasions. We are never going back again. The area is very nice, but the treatment was very nasty.
December 29, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Horologist Good hotel for business travellers
Hotel met my key expectations. It was clean, comfortable bed, had a good exercise facility, WiFi included in room-rate, coffee in the room. However, the breakfast was below par.
May 29, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by STLKA Hotel was..okay.
Overall the hotel was pretty nice, I was however very disappointed with a few incidents in the room. While showering, the drain was NOT draining and therefore the shower had to be quick otherwise the the water was going to overflow the sides and cause a big mess. After showering, it took a good 10 minutes before the water had drained. The other issue was when we turned the heat on, it would kick on about every 10 minutes blasting air very loudly then turn off and this happened all night.
I talked to the front desk at check out and she just appologized and was less than helpful.
January 8, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by joedamaged not good
the nroom smelled of sweat and the blackout shades did not function up or down on one side of room. It was stuck mid way.
May 27, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by ridejayjay Ryan saved the day!
Typical Aloft hotel. Rooms are small but modern, clean and neat. Well thought out design and comfy beds.
The crown in the jewel for this stay was when my cat decided to crawl under and behind the room a/c unit. Firmly wedged she had no desire to come out and we needed to hit the road.
A call down to the front desk and they sent Ryan, a very professional maintenance supervisor, to free the cat. Ryan was completely unfazed by the situation and with in a matter of minutes has the a/c unit removed from the wall and the cat freed.
April 6, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Anita0317 Great Atmosphere
The decor was definitely pretty awesome to say the least. Our ALoft experience started out rocky. They booked us for Friday night and then when I did finally book a room it was 30 dollars more than on line. One particular girl at the front desk Brittany did everything possible to fix this.Still working on getting my refund for the wrong night. The heater of the salt water pool was broken which was very disappointing as we looked forward to swimming in the midst of winter.Aside from that our stay was fun. I must say the staff was exceptional and made our stay a nice one, with the exception of the rude girl, Brandy at the front desk, Maybe she should be considered for house keeping. I cant wait till we stay there again.
February 24, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by BJ11 Wedding Weekend
Almost a year ago my now wife and I decided to use the Aloft in Leawood for the main hotel for our guests and wedding party. After we had everything set up I quickly realized my guests were able to find cheaper rates online then what they offered us as a group which makes little sense to me. Also the night of my wedding I choose a suite to stay in but yet was unable to enjoy the evening due to a large party in the event room right next to mine with music you could hear from the 5th floor of the hotel. After I spoke with the desk around 11:30 about this I was told it was scheduled to end at 12:00. At 12:45 the party was still going strong. Then as their guests were living so intoxicated a few had to be helped to the lobby.
October 11, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Sandee66 great location
We had requested a suite when booking but did not realize w had a corner room which was not comfortable and certainly not worth the price difference froma double queen which our friend had. Their sink,. desk and closet space was twice as large. The seating area was space wasted. Telephones never worked correctly. The location was good as there were many things right out the door.. The ceilings in the rooms we visited all looked very cracked and a good shake would bring down the ceiling
April 7, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by JacobK nice place to stay unless you need a decent internet connection
My work brings me to Overland Park, KC at least once a month and i am still attracted to this Aloft by the surrounding area. Hands down this is a great neighbourhood, i mean even by New York standard. The food and the people are great. You will enjoy the place and the food unless you need to get on the internet with a speed faster than a conventional dialup. If you think gogoflight is slow, try using the connection at this hotel. Bottom line, great surroundings, excellent food selection, very friendly staff, modern look, and sub-dial-up internet speed.
June 19, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by FrustratedTraveler2014 Great Location
Date of stay Check in May 24
Check out May 26 (Two nights)
Pros: Location, beds were nice
1) The staff responsiveness was just overall bad. Rude front desk attendants each time we talked to them.
2) Housekeeping: We left our room at about 8:45 a.m. and returned around 4:00 p.m. To our surprise our room hadn't been cleaned. When I asked about it at the front desk they didn't have a response. They asked if we wanted it cleaned now. I said, "No, it's a little late, we've been gone all day and we're back now and will be back and forth from the pool for the rest of the evening." After a minute or two of silence I finally asked for some clean towels. 10 minutes later she arrives at the front desk with towels. When we came back from the pool about 6:15, the housekeeper was cleaning our room and we had to wait until she was done. She was very nice, but the fact of the matter is the front desk person decided to go ahead and have the room cleaned after I specifically said "No". The front desk person did offer me some points if I was a Starwood member. Looking back I should have taken the points, but points won't clean our room!
3) Pool: When we finally made it to the pool, to our surprise *sarcasm* there were no towels! My journey to the front desk to speak to the wonderfully happy individual started again! I was 2nd guest waiting for towels for the pool. We finally got towels! Again quite an ordeal.
4) TV: The television works great if it's a digital channel. If it's not don't call the front desk and ask why...I'll let you know. "Yeah, we know...not all the channels work real well. Sorry about that." Great explanation huh?!
5) Billing: Finally the bill came and not soon enough. When I reviewed it there was a charge for the re-fueling portion of the hotel. Since we didn't eat anything there I wondered where that came from??? Now the fun begins of trying to get that removed from my bill. While it's only $7.45 it's still the principal of the matter.
While the hotel was in a great location and overall very nice, the customer service is enough for me to not recommend it. If issues are addressed, then I would highly recommend it. A lot can be ruined by having a poorly run and rudely staffed hotel.
May 29, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by phxdave Comfortable and Reasonably Priced Hotel
This hotel is comfortable and is priced right. The amenities are a little lacking including morning food choices and quality. Staff is great.
May 16, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Calman Pretty, but major flaws.
Stayed here for a wedding, taking place in Overland Park. Booked 2 rooms for 3 nights. Sounds simple, but very complicated for some of the Aloft staff. Caused problems for me.
Check-In is on second floor.
I can't imagine being disabled and trying to get around this hotel. The parking garage isn't even attached by a walk-way. Everything in room and outside is just a little difficult. Sorry Aloft,being pretty just doesn't make up for the flaws. I wouldn't be surprised if there were deep cracks in the wall covered by your very nice artwork.
August 2, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by SoccerFam Staff at this hotel is sub par.
We have stayed here twice in the past year, and our experience was horrible both times. So the first visit wasn't a fluke. Location is fantastic, but front desk staff is slow, unhelpful, and not very friendly. Tried to check in at 1, couldnt. tried at 3, no go. Couldn't check in until almost 5 since they only had one housekeeper on staff and rooms were slow to be cleaned. One housekeeper on Memorial Day weekend?? Same happened last time we were there, and they offered to give us linens so WE could make our beds when we checked in after 9 pm. REALLY. Asked for a down-free room, they looked confused. We clarified... "Feather-free". The front desk staff looked surprised and confirmed they don't have any feathers in the room. And yet of course they did!
May 28, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Stranded0114 Please work out transport options in Leawood
The ALOFT LEAWOOD-OVERLAND PARK has been my first choice because of its proximity to my client nearby. I have come to rely on a shuttle that runs to my client's campus.
Yesterday (1/14) I was substantially late for a meeting because the shuttle was nowhere to be found and the desk clerk had no information on its whereabouts or schedule. I requested a cab, the clerk appeared to call and assured me one would arrive, but none came. After 20 minutes (including a second request to the desk clerk for a cab), I wound up having to call my own.
I'm ok with DIY, but would have appreciated being told that was the best option at the outset instead of being misled.
It would also be helpful to set up an intercom system with the ground floor and second floor reception desk.
January 15, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Grandma36 great comfort, very modern
Wonderful beds, very hospitable staff, nice variety and options at the breakfast bar... loved the bottomless coffee pot. Very modern room, a fun adventure to learn how things worked.. but I never was able to figure out how to answer the phone. (but I could call out).
May 5, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by laura73 Love this Hotel!
We stay here every time we go to Kansas City/ Leawood. The location is perfect and the hotel has a cool vibe. If we were ever going to stay longer than three nights, we would get a king suite. The regular rooms are a bit tight, if you plan on spending a lot of time in the room. The staff is always very nice and it is always clean.
April 28, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Gpartyof5 Wish we could have stayed longer
Everything was great here. Room was perfect, very clean, etc. Our biggest complaint was that the music from the downstairs bar was very loud. We were on the 2nd floor though so I'm sure it wasn't as bad above us. The hallway smelled but once we got in our room, it was fine. My mom didn't want to stay here since she's older and used to more traditional hotels but she ended up loving it and is ready to go back! It's in a great location with lots of shopping and even a big theater right across the street. We highly recommend it!
March 9, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Heath0425 Great stay on the 6th Floor
I heard from many individuals that things can get loud around the 2nd/3rd floor; however, on the 6th floor, things were very quiet and comfortable. The only complaint I have is that in June, the Kansas City heat can be pretty high, and having to run the air conditioning unit all day/night was not ideal considering it was a rather noisy unit. It did keep my room at a comfortable temperature, so the noise was a turn off, but I found I was 'blasting' my TV to compensate. Very friendly staff - awesome location! Will stay again!!
June 17, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by MaryP123 We had a great time!
We brought our daughter to the Aloft and 7 of her friends for her 18th birthday. All of the kids had a wonderful time and the set up with the walking mall was perfect for this as they could walk anywhere they wanted to go so we knew everyone was safe and not driving around.
The reviews I read prior to arriving complained of the parking garage being inconvenient, but we didn't think it was at all - It's really just around the corner from the hotel. I have stayed in hotels where the parking was far more inconvenient than this was.,
The rooms are very uniquely set up and everything was very comfortable. Service was great and we would definitely recommend the stay here. Overall it was a great experience and our daughter had a wonderful birthday.
Thank you Aloft!
May 6, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Kes1977 Beware: Dog Friendly, not people friend
Our first night consisted of no sleep due to a barking dog. When we booked the hotel I did not see anything stating it was a pet friendly. We talked to the front desk and they didn't seem to be concerned about out situation. The next night we were moved to another room due to the barking -- very inconvenient to move at such a late part of the stay. It would be have been nice to know up front that it was more pet friendly then people friendly. Several other people in our party also had to move. Not a good thing.
February 11, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 Overland Park, KS Business Value Hotel
The location is great, near a number of very good restaurants, shops, movie theater and mall across the street. The hotel has good value, with pleasing modern hip designed interiors, rooms and bathrooms, bar, basic food and lounge area, and the staff is professional. There is a work out room and small pool as well. My only criticism is that the towels and sheets are a bit rough and there are no on demand movies to purchase in your room. If they address those two issues, this place would be nearly perfect!
July 3, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Addie Shocked at the lack of help and attitude
Hated that there was no one to help us with luggage. Hated that we had to drag up bags to the second floor to check in. Hated that we then had to go park the car in a parking lot in 97 degrees and walk back to the hotel. Hated that we paid for a room with a "sitting" area and it turned out to be ONE chair in an empty corner. Hated the attitude of the gal at the reception desk. Hated the concept of the food station in the lobby. Would NEVER stay here again or recommend it. Cheap excuse for a "hip" hotel.
June 27, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by beautyjunkie lot of bang or your buck
This hotel was modern, clean, well kept and in a great location.The staff was great also. My room was small but adequate. The A/C unit was loud and hard to watch TV or have a phone conversation if it was running. My mini fridge kept beverages just "slightly chilled' but my main complaint is that you have to park in a parking garage that is half a block from the hotel and hotel guests park on on third level and there is no valet parking. I am however very pleased with the accommodations for the price.
September 10, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Ronnie11 Very Modern and good "feeling"
The hotel is located in a newer area of Kansas City. the construction is new and the facility has a "new and friendly" feel. Staff was plesent and answered questions. Design of lighting and furniture was simple and effective. Althought seating areas on 1st and 2nd floors was showing its wear.
VERY convient for walking to local theaters, shops and restaurants.
Would also work for business meetings and business travel because of the various spaces available.
Good facility and location. Will be back.
August 19, 2013