Aloft Silicon Valley
There's a W in Newark?!
I worked for a consulting firm that would use the W "Silicon Valley" for training and events. When I told people that I was staying at the W in Newark, inevitably, the response was, "You're kidding? There's a W in Newark?"
They are right to be shocked.
The east bay location means that this hotel which is surrounded by parking lots is blindingly bright in 90 degree July heat. Outside.
Inside? It's like you entered a nightclub at 3:00am. Dark and weird given that there is absolutely nothing cool or interesting about this office park location.
If you have to stay in Silicon Valley, try the Sheraton in Sunnyvale or the Westin in Palo Alto.
November 23, 2011
Worst Internet I Can Recall, W Hotel Lite
It's not really a W. It's sort of a W Four Points. But it's cheap and a quick drive to the Valley so I'm not mad at it. Service is really weak in the restaurant where you need to eat sometimes because it's surrounded by research parks.
What I am mad at and why I would never stay here again is that the internet quality is awful. Not just slow, but it drops out for minutes at a time and then reappaers. It's done this for multiple days across multiple devices. Impossible to get any work done or accomplish much online.
I don't care about the cure elevator mats you rotate out or the hip amenity attempts: make the dang interent work reasonably well, it's a business hotel serving Silicon Valley. So far out of bounds compared to any hotel or resort I've stayed at over the past 5 years -- and this includes several properties made out of logs or cut into the side of a mountain.
Seriously, don't offer internet service. You'd be doing less harm to the Starwood brand.
December 20, 2011
Great hotel in the middle of nowhere!
I loved our room. It was a 2 - king bedroom suite that I was upgraded to. What I didn't like is that I had to ask for a 2nd set of toiletries and water. If there are 2 beds, you should assume two people are staying in the room. Also, I would have appreciated some plates/napkins, silverware along with a coffee maker. There was room for all of that, but no additional amenities. What's the point?
Also, we went down to get dinner. The food was reasonable, but the corkage fee was not. In a hotel where you can easily order room service, corkage should be $10 to $15, not $20.
December 7, 2011
Just spending one week at the W Silicon Valley, I have experimented several issues during my stay:
- two days in a row the bath robe was removed without beiong changed
- glasses were removed without being regularly changed
- despite a morning call to get the light fixed in my room, the light was still off at night
- I provided a laundry bad at 7am one morning but the laundry was only returned the following evening (day +1) without any other explanation.
This is not my first stay at the other but I was quite disapointed but the level of service offered this time
February 14, 2012
This is not a real W
Nothing to compare with other W hotels. Four Points is proper brand for this property. Located in the middle of stinky nowhere with nothing at walking distance. Beds are extremely uncomfortable. Staff forgetting to put new amenities as well as glasses. Internet is slow - and this is at Silicon Valley!!! I stayed at more then 10 other W's before, so I seriously disappointed in W Silicon Valley. Avoid it if you can.
November 13, 2011
Staff could stand to step it up.
1) Was not asked to choose points or amenity for platinum arrival.
2) Had to ask for platinum upgrade before being offered a 'Corner Suite (not much of an upgrade)' when I verified my stay was only for 1 night.
3) Dined in the restaurant - the food, as always, was quite good, but the individual serving us apologized for not knowing the menu or what the kitchen or bar were out of, and for not being an actual server. The server was sitting at a table in the lobby socializing with a visiting group of individuals she apparently knew.
4) Selected an in-room movie for platinum arrival gift, which ended up appearing on a revised folio I was emailed later after departure. When I emailed and asked for the charge to be removed, I received an email that it was, but as a 'one-time courtesy.' Not what I need to hear.
I will not need any additional courtesy since I will not be staying here again. There are too many other / better alternate options!
May 1, 2012
Disappointing and run down
Maintenance not kept up since last time I was there. Broken handle on the bathroom door hanging there, missing clothes hook in bathroom, etc. had to ask for a coffee maker then they didn't replenish the coffee. We had to keep calling for more. Room service was OK but overall it was a very sub par stay.
November 30, 2011
Great features and Staff
The rooms are extremely nice and kept very clean and well stocked. The pool/jacuzzi area is a great place to relax. Nice exercise room. The staff was exceptional. Quick to answer questions, polite, and professional. The perfect complement to a 5 star hotel.
November 29, 2011