Rated 5 out of 5 by SR35 Amazing Staff and Great Customer Service
The hotel is great, very much an Aloft. You know if you have stayed at one, you have stayed at them all. What I do think stands out about this one than the rest is their staff. Aloft Portland has absolutely amazing customer service, at all points of interactions - front desk, the housekeeping staff, the bartenders, even the manager who hand wrote a welcome card. I stayed there on a recurring basis for a while because of business, and at the end of my last trip, they made me a care package!!!! It was such a pleasant experience, I would never stay at another hotel if I am in Portland area.
August 22, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by HenryTheNth Great Bartender
We enjoyed several evenings in the hotel bar treated to masterfully concocted beverages by the most talented mixologist I've had the pleasure of being served by in many a year.
August 25, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by miki1014 Very convenient
2 minute walk to the Max light rail, which takes you to the airport and downtown Portland. Many dining options across the street and next door. Target, Ikea, Best Buy... within walking distance. Free wifi and not resort fee is a plus. Very quiet even though train right next door and airport down the street.
August 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by TD23 Mostly good, a few tweaks to improve
First time in an Aloft. Mostly i liked the room design -- very convenient for an actual traveler. I do have a few nitpicks though that might improve future properties.
1. The clothes hangers are high, but not high enough to hang a pair of pants. I'm short, yet mine flopped on the tray below (and prevented use fo that shelf). Generally, though, the alternative closet is kind of cool.
2. Shower drain was deafeningly loud (i.e., woke the sleeping). We found that putting a washcloth over the drain damped the noise. Might just be our room (407).
3. Sink is pretty but function doesn't live up to appearance. In particular, the drain stopper was broken -- or maybe just weird. None of us could figure out how to make it open short of taking it out. We may be idiots, but there are probably more like us out there.
4. It would be really useful to have a towel rack by the sink, not exclusively in the lavatory (which might not be accessible). We wound up clipping a towel to the aforementioned hangers so that we could dry our hands easily after washing.
5. Definitely specific to our room, the desk chair was broken. Sit in it -- you'll find it lists hard to the right. Usable but a bit uncomfortable.
6. Pool was nice, but putting out a few more towels would make it nicer.
Again, these are all minor points. The room was, in general, quite nice. A few adjustments in new properties to the basic design would make it more pleasant.
August 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by darkreign A few shortcomings
The sparse-furnishings approach has its drawbacks. For example, a single light switch controls washbasin/"closet" space and toilet/shower space. It would improve things to have a separate control for the shower space to act as a night light, but the single switch/double space lighting is too bright to leave on at night. The rationale for the frosted window from the toilet space to the sleeping space is unclear.
August 18, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Nick1833 Great hotel needing quality control
We love Aloft but found this one had a few issues: fruit and veg quality was terrible in the cafe. Sheets in bedroom were very scratchy and rough. Hairs left on Bliss body lotion and sink. Found an adult oriented flyer on the floor by the bed (bad housekeeping and glad my 8 year old didn't find it first). Elevator was grubby. Front desk agent at check out wasn't fully trained. Her supervisor didn't provide appropriate support and also pointed to where the butter was kept in the cafe (she should walk the 5 feet from the front desk). Hotel was difficult to find from airport as no directional signs to indicate where it was.
July 29, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Blayne52 Good night sleep in Portland
Hotel is fantastic - great atmosphere and staff very attentive
Nice change to an regular hotel environment
Close to shopping and restaurants at The Cascade and you just walk a bock to catchy the train into Portland
No need for a car
August 10, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Manju Sorely Disgruntled!
After calling ahead and confirming that we would be receiving a double queen room, we arrived very late (they knew this in advance as well) only to find out that they were completely booked and our room only had one bed. My husband and I had just returned from a long flight, having both just had surgery and there was someone with us to help us. This was why I confirmed the double queen room ahead of time. We ended up not being able to stay as he had no where to sleep.. The man at the desk refused to refund our money and was rude when I asked him to note that we did NOT stay but had to go find another hotel. I will not recommend this hotel.
March 28, 2012