Rated 5 out of 5 Great Hotel
My only recommendation would be to add valet parking services. I really missed that! I love the convenience of valet parking.
Other than that, I loved the location of the hotel and everything about it!
May 18, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by chog2kc Free Shuttle
I recently stayed at the ALOFT in Leawood. It was a nice evening, so I walked around to try and find a place to buy a cigar to smoke outside. After striking out I asked the front desk for any ideas. Amanda and Colby at the desk immediately reminded me of the above benefit of staying at the hotel. Joe, the driver took me to one of my old favorite cigar shops, where I purchased my smoke. I was very gratefule for their awesome service! Many thanks to them for their fantastic Customer Service. They were a pleasure to deal with. I hope corporate takes care of these valued employees. Thanks again.
April 27, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by OregonTraveler Is 'trendy' an excuse for a poor facility?
When I saw 'Trendy' as a sales point, I was not quite sure what to expect. I did not expect - nothing.
1. I flew in from the west coast on a Sunday and attempted to check in two hours early, I was told to come back after 3pm. Ok, small irritation, but I have always been allowed early check in when I needed it at other hotels.
2. Upon check in, I was told that the credit card transaction that I was told had occurred on the phone actually had not occurred. I asked specifically on the phone if I would need the card I made the reservation with and was told 'no.' When I checked in, they told me I needed the card. It was my boss's corporate card and I was not about to put a four night stay on my personal card and hope to be reimbursed for the inflated hotel rate. Communication occurred between the front desk and my supervisor and the appropriate approvals were given, Upon check out, I was informed that they had not communicated with the card holder and again, had to go through communication with my supervisor a second time to gain approval for the charge. The issue was not finally resolved until just about four hours AFTER I checked out.
3. In the room: The coffee was good, and the bed was very comfortable to sleep on. Those are the only two positives about the room. No microwave, no fridge, the iron was hidden under the bed and took me half a day to find. The walls were badly marked up, the ceiling was unfinished (I'm talking sheet rock that had been whitewashed and not even taped or textured) the sheet rock around the windows was badly broken and unfinished and the shower still had construction scuffs and pencil marks for what must have been the glass wall placement process. There was no dresser, I can't remember the last time I had to live out of my suitcase for a several day business stay anywhere! The only furniture in the room was a small office/task chair at a smallish desk. The room decor was hideous. clashing colors of green and blue on the floor and walls and the window coverings were mostly white with some small stripes of clashing colors near the bottom. oh, and the phone did not work at all - it beeped continuously when it was plugged in. The only direct lighting in the room was a small lamp on the desk. The rest was some sort of indirect mood lighting which made it very hard to read and study after work. Television was very limited as well, I believe there were less than 20 available channels on the nice big flat screen. The soap and shampoo that were offered seemed very nice at first, but for some reason took some real work to rinse off and out of my hair. Not sure what the deal was there. Lastly, there was no in room directory of services for either the hotel itself or the surrounding area.
4. Other expectations: No ice on the floor I was on, I had to go down to the lobby to get ice. No complimentary - anything. All other mid range hotels I have stayed at have had some sort of complimentary breakfast and snacks offered whether it be bagels and fruit or hot waffles, and biscuits and gravy. The Aloft offered nothing complimentary, but charged outrageously inflated prices for simple snack and breakfast items.
5. social interaction: The Aloft seems to market its encouragement for interaction as a selling point. All of the public areas for gathering have very uncomfortable seating and working arrangements. The couches are the very low backed and very wide between the front of the couch and the back, so to lean back puts you in a laying down position. Quite uncomfortable for me being a married man attempting to do business with a lady from another state who is also similarly involved. There was no way to relax a bit and feel like we were still conducting business so all of our dealings were done literally on the edge of our seats.
6. Business amenities: I could not use my laptop to print on the available printers, but had to save off my work on a thumb drive and print from it. I had some color charts I needed printed, but was told that only black and white printing was available. Again, small irritation, but for a business class hotel, color printing is definitely an expectation. What really got me about this was that later that day, the front desk offered suggestions about a Chinese food restaurant across town and printed me a map from Google . . . in color. Arrrgghhh! I would have paid $.50 or $1.00 a page to be able to print my 2 normal letter sized charts in color.
7. The area: Lots of dining options, some overpriced, some reasonable. No really useful stores or services within walking distance. No drug stores, no corner markets, no grocery stores, office supply or stationary stores, print shops, nothing but fluff within walking distance of this hotel. When I asked the front desk, they confirmed saying that anything really useful was at least a mile away. I am used to business class hotels that are in a district where you can get a highlighter, a sharpie or an extra pad of paper if you need it. Not here.
8. Parking: Not terrible, but you do have to go outside of the parking structure to enter the hotel. Not a big deal to me, but for the kind of area it is and the kind of fluff that pass for amenities here, I would have figured on a direct entrance to the hotel from the parking structure.
To be fair, I had a very full schedule of meetings and study and did not visit the pool or the gym.
I had the distinct feeling that this was the last room available for my duration of stay. If my room experience was non-standard, the Aloft would have been better served to recommend another venue rather than to represent themselves as poorly as they did for my stay. The room was only one aspect of the stay though and even if it had been up to an acceptable standard, the rest of the experience would still discourage me from staying here again.
May 17, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by NH2013 Convenient Location & Great Service
The Aloft is in a great location. You can walk to many restautants and shops. The staff is very helpful. Amanda has always been friendly when I arrive and she remembers my name and greets me personally by name. The lobby and lounge are fun places to relax with friends or colleagues. I look forward to each time I visit!
April 30, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by StuUK Home from Home
I've been staying at this property for almost 5 years, since it opened. It's in a great location, with plenty of amenities around it.
The hotel itself has a small but functional gym and a nice pool.
The staff are welcoming and friendly, particularly Dawn who has been a 'feature' of the hotel for a few years.
The three areas that I think need improving are:
1. The internet service is slow and required you to login/register every day
2. The showers are fine but would benefit from better water pressure
3. The air conditioning units in the rooms are very noisy, particularly when they switch on/off during the night
Overall it's a good hotel in a good location.
March 30, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by MaryP123 We had a great time!
We brought our daughter to the Aloft and 7 of her friends for her 18th birthday. All of the kids had a wonderful time and the set up with the walking mall was perfect for this as they could walk anywhere they wanted to go so we knew everyone was safe and not driving around.
The reviews I read prior to arriving complained of the parking garage being inconvenient, but we didn't think it was at all - It's really just around the corner from the hotel. I have stayed in hotels where the parking was far more inconvenient than this was.,
The rooms are very uniquely set up and everything was very comfortable. Service was great and we would definitely recommend the stay here. Overall it was a great experience and our daughter had a wonderful birthday.
Thank you Aloft!
May 6, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Angela1975 Very Fun Hotel
I loved the location, it was within walking distance to just about everything. The accommodations were great! The room was clean and well decorated. The pool was amazing. My only hang up was the night staff at the check in desk was sub par and not very helpful when asked questions and was given rude looks. The day staff was fantastic!
May 4, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by TBear Home away from home
I stay at this hotel a lot, at least once a month, and am pretty familiar with the staff and the facility. This is a fun, fairly trendy, and very clean urban hotel. There is ample parking in an adjacent parking garage, but it is a slight inconvenience that there is no walkway or covered area between the garage and the hotel. The location is great, especially because of the several excellent restaurants within a short walk, and dozens more within a very short drive. Lots of shopping nearby, movieplex,even a community area across the street that serves as green space (Astroturf) during the warm months and a very nice ice skating rink in the winter. The food and beverage at the hotel has a little something for every taste, and the bar is excellent (John will take good care of you! One of the nicest bartenders you'll meet!). I especially like the trendy, good sized second floor patio deck just outside where you can enjoy your drink or just relax, and there are very comfortable common areas inside as well. All of the staff are always very helpful and courteous (Amanda is a standout), and the pool and fitness area among the nicest I've seen. Comfortable beds, great walk in showers, and reasonably quiet rooms. Definitely my favorite place to stay!
April 18, 2013