Le Royal Mansour Méridien
On the banks of the Atlantic Ocean lies the mysterious city of Casablanca, meaning “white house” in Arabic. The city has been the chief port of the Moroccan region since the rule of the Spanish Berber tribe, the Merinids, in the 14th century. Casablanca was until 1515 known as Anfa – the Portuguese destroyed the town in 1468, only to rebuild it nearly 50 years later. The name Casa Blanca did not appear until the late 16th century under the reign of Sultan Sidi Mohammed III.
Le Royal Mansour Méridien stands amidst the heart of the main shopping and commercial district of Casablanca, not far from the port and the ancient city of Old Medina. This tiny seaside city was devastated by an earthquake in 1710 and rebuilt by the Sultan 40 years later – today, it still retains its charm in the small houses and lively markets held in the squares.
The Hassan II mosque is not a sight to be missed in Casablanca. Built by a French architect to celebrate the 60th birthday of King Hassan II, the design and motifs throughout the mosque is traditional Moroccan, with marble, granite, and colourful mosaics. The mosque’s crowning glory is the 210-metre minaret – the tallest of its kind in the world - which soars above the city.
Casablanca Music Festival in the month of July draws famous artists and singers to the area, as do the annual trade fairs – visitors from around the world flock to these exciting fairs for an array of goods from every industry imaginable.
View Local Area Map
- Rabat City 100.0 km/62.1 miles
- Marrakech City 245.0 km/152.2 miles
- Beach 5.0 km/3.1 miles