Rated 3 out of 5 by michi81 top location, below 5 star standarts hotel
after many stays at other 5 star hotels in and around phuket we wanted to try something different. so our choice was the le merdien, because we have known already before that it is on one of the best beaches in thailand.
and yes the location is really great, it is built on his own private beach. almost the best beach we have seen at phuket.
the hotel is not new, but its in a very good condition, very well mantained.
the hughe pools are great too.
we got upgreated to a pool view room. the room was nice, recently rennovated, had everything we needed, spotless clean, mayby bit on the smaller site for a 5 star resort room, however nothing to mention, we were happy with our accomodation.
the make understand our just average rating i will list the positives and negatives:
- great beach
- super swimming pools
- overall friendly staff
- good spg gold member reconnignation
- clean and comfortable room with a nice balcony
- very friendly staff at the portofino breakfeast
- reasonable priced f&b
- there is no pool service like in other simillar priced 5 star hotels, when checking in, could not belive there towell card system, never have seen this before in 5 star hotels. also other than in other 5 star hotels, at the le meridien the staff doesnt help the prepair your pool chair or may put the umbrella in the right position. cant understand that, there is so much pool staff on duty (even life guards). also there is no drinking water served on the pool. in most of the other 5 star hotels you will get not just water served and your sunbeds will prepaired for you, they serve also some refreshments during the day. sure this are just little things, but that makes a stay different.
- when we checked in, we where told, as for the gold member we can have a free drink at the tonson bar during the day. we should just tell our room number, (there is no need of an voucher the receptionist said). than they will find the details in their system. so at abouth 4 p.m. we went there. first the staff just starring at us, then they have spoken in thai language who is willing serving to us, bit strange feeling for us as guests, to see nobody wants to to his job. finally a lady asked us what we wanted. she said we have to get a voucher from the reception. so we went to the reception, and yes we got a voucher. so we where coming back with voucher, looking forward having a cafe and enjoyiing the atmosphere. but than again the female staff there said no happy hour now. ok, sure no happy hour, we also dont wanted to join a happy hour, just wanted to have our drink as the receptionist has told. but this time the lady said, we can not use the voucher now, we can have our drink when there is the happy hour for platinium members. ok, so we should come back in the evening. this was really a poor experience! we are not gift hunters! mayby we got wrong information while we checked in? or the staff dont wanted to have us as their guests in the afternoon? so the bad memory left from this afternoon: firstly they talking in thai abouth their guests, than the unfriendly lady.
to be fair, in the evening a different staff was on duty and friendly.
- while the food prices very reasonable for a 5 star hotel, and even bit cheaper than the compitors. the quallity of food is very poor. had italian buffet. off course we know that the hotel caters now mostly russian and other groups, and to prepare hughe buffets its not easy. but we wanted to try the italian food, bcs we have heared so many positive abouth their italian restaurant portofino. unfortunatly exactly on that evening the portofino was closed. so we were going for their italian buffet. the be honest it was ok to getting your stomach filled, and having much or less a lot of choice from below average dishes. the pizza was burnt and like chewing gum without any taste. but the worst part haven been the desserts. there were nicely presented mini glases of various desserts, like tiramisu, white chocolate cream and so on. but every dessert had exactly the same tasteless taste, especially the tiramisu without any taste. what makes me confused, there were even foreign chiefs present during dinner. whats their job? the foreign chiefs arent greeting their guests (ok, bit strange, bcs usually, as we know from other 5 star hotels the chiefs going around and asking their guest abouth their food.) we can life without having small talk with a foreign chief, but at least the should try what is getting served on their buffets.
- we got told as a spg gold member we are allowed to join the vip breakfeast at portofino. as we have seen the masses at the regular breakfeast we have been very happy with that option. but another time we good disappointed with the f&b quality. no doubts, the quality was quite good from the small buffet and made to order eggs (any style). also the served illy cafe was very good. but why there are so cheap instant juices? its comon standard in 5 star hotels in south east asia do serving fresh fruit juices for breakfeast. sorry for that comment, but every tipco juice bought at 7/11 is better than the instant juices that are served for the vip breakfeast at portofino.
22. Oktober 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jackson8 Great place to spend time
It is a great facility that really attempts to make guests feel welcome. There are plenty of activities to do at the resort and it's location is away from the bustle of Patong Beach. The highlight of the property is definitely the baby elephant that greets guest near the beach. My only criticism of my stay would be the ant problem in my room. Overall, it is a great place for your honey or a family get away.
18. Januar 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Fan91 Nice Hotel with Private Beach
It was my first stay in one of starwood hotels. On November 2013, I was offered to attend a workshop which take place in this hotel. Usually workshop’s hotel is more like very efficient hotel with only sufficient room and space, but not this one. It is a large 5 stars hotel which will make you don’t want to attend any workshop when you stay there. The breakfast and lunch is great, combining local, asian, and american menu. There are so many leisure activity you can try, everyday in the afternoon, diving lesson, rock climbing, put put golf, beach volleyball, archery, etc. The place is not in the city, which is great for someone who wants a quite escape like me. The city and “crowded” beach is not too far, only 10 minutes away. The super nice thing is the private beach, again, for quite escape. Meeting room was nice, was used for 70 people seminar, and the coffee break snacks were tasty. Staff were friendly and they solved some of my problem like it didn’t happen. I wil definitely come to this hotel again if I come to Phuket. My advice: Extend your stay if you stay in this hotel for business, ask for room facing pool or beach on 3rd or more level.
11. Dezember 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by James1958 Our 2nd. Home
We have been coming here every year since 2000 , 13 times to be exact. This place is Heaven on Earth, the Staff are immaculate in meeting your needs, this year we had some of our Family with us (future guests) and our 2 young children have been here 12 times.Words really are not in a dictionary to describe this place, but if I had enough money I would live here for the rest of my life. We love coming HOME , can not wait till Sept.2014 .
10. November 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by alphaapollo Great hotel!
This location delivered excellent customer services. The lobby staffs were fantastic. Nick, Marco, Isabel, Jenjira, and their bosses were kind and helpful. They all made my stay enjoyable and fun. I also like to give a special thank to Jenjira Nakchanthong. See you all again soon.
10. Oktober 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by ashok53 We had a short but wonderful stay
Room was good though not sea facing .Not obliged with an upgrade . Private beach was enjoyable and so were the leisure games like mini golf , golf range ,chess...etc. Food, particularly the breakfast was great and the staff was very courteous ..best part was the big swimming pools ...and restaurants for all tastes ....
16. Juni 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by PLeeJr I said I would return
I vacationed at this property in May 2012. At the end of my review I said that I would return. I returned to Phuket for a few days in mid November and returned to the Le Meridien Hotel. The property was very well maintained as I had remembered it. The private beach was beautiful and I stayed in the exact room I had in May. I enjoyed the daily breakfast buffet and the variety of good dining choices. This place is wonderful because you can be away from it all and get the sense of being isolated but you can also partake in all of the activities that Phuket has to offer because you're only a short Tuk Tuk ride away. The staff is awesome. i felt as if I were returning home this group made me feel quite welcome. I want to single out two people especially, Mr. Manoup the Front Office manager who remembered me by name, made me feel like this was truly my home away from home. As for the transportation I understand that my buddy Nemo who gave me great tour recommendations has moved on but she has been replaced with equally helpful Aun. In all I have twice had a wonderful time at this property. IT will be definitely be the place I lay my head when I return to Phuket.
12. Dezember 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Alex101 Great holiday resort
Stayed 10 nights at the Meridien and it has been a great stay. One of its best assets is its private beach with superb white sands and turquoise waters, always clean. A perfect place to enjoy and relax away from the crowded public beaches around Patong. The hotel is also ideally situated just a few minutes drive away from Patong, therefore you are never far from the action while being at at calm as soon as you go back to the hotel. The hotel has also a full range of facilities and specially enjoyed the spa and the tennis court. Many thanks to the nice tennis coaches for the hours spent playing. Basically, I can only recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Phuket. The only minor drawbacks would be the variety of the breakfast buffet. For a French named hotel we could expect a much bigger variety of breads and cheese... As well as a speed increase on the Internet WiFi
16. Oktober 2012