Rated 2 out of 5 by VY2323 Beautiful Rooms, Awful Service and Food
My wife and I stayed at the Le Meridian this past January for our honeymoon. I am a Platinum member who travels quite a bit and I have found this hotel to carry two extremes: Absolutely amazing property but terrible service.
- The property is located in a prime area of Bora Bora with a wonderful view of the mountain on the mainland. The facilities are great, especially the private lagoon where you can swim with several species of fish. The hotel also provides complimentary rental of basic water equipment such as snorkels, kayaks and bodyboards.
- The rooms were incredible, the vast majority of them being overwater bungalows with a glass floor overlooking somewhere between 3 to 20 feet deep water (depending on how far out your room is).
- They also have a nice turtle farm on the property which was entertaining to visit.
For one of the most beautiful properties I have ever stayed at, it was a shame that the food and service fell short in every possible way. Specifically:
1) While breakfast was fine, both lunch and dinner were inconsistent in their quality. What made it worse was the service - for example, one night for dinner my wife was brought a dish where they completely screwed up the ingredients from what was on the menu. When we complained, the waiter admitted they knew about the mistake and that the chef had made that same mistake in all of those dishes that evening. My big question: if they knew about the mistake, why did they even serve it in the first place! The quality of the food was a consistent compliant by all the guests we met and was actually a common point of bonding. We ended up taking several excursions to restaurants on the mainland each night.
2) For a category 7 hotel, it feel quite the opposite with regards to the service. The staff overall displayed an attitude that they simply did not care. For example, the fitness center was out of cups to drink water from. When I went to the front desk, the person told me to go buy water from the bar. Are you serious? As another example, my wife and I needed something printed. It took them 3 days to do so with each day having me go down to check the status. Each time I asked why it wasn't printed they would tell me "We forgot".
3) The staff treat the hotel as their own vacation playground. Everyday we would see the staff relaxing by the pool with their kids swimming in it. While I personally do not care about this, the poor service we received made this scene of relaxation by them all the more infuriating.
4) No recognition or special treatment given that it was our honeymoon. Given the level of service, we were not surprised by this. Though it would have been nice if they had done something special.
5) The management did not seem to care. As an example, I emailed the general manager a couple of times about our stay afterwards and did not receive a response until 2 months later.
It is a shame the service and food made this stay not as memorable as it could have been, especially with such a nice property. This hotel needs a change of management to get its act together.
March 8, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by killerbk Not 5 Star
My wife and stayed here the second half of our trip for 3 days. I hauled our luggage across the dock and 5 flights of stairs without assistance from the staff. THe property overall was layed out terrible and the staff completely ignored me our entire stay. I am a fun person, not sure what the deal was. A couple was sitting next to us at the pool and their food was delivered to them and when I asked they said that they dont do that and I was mistaken. I was told that i had to go to the restaurant and pick it up myself.
Compared to the better resorts next door this place is 1 star at best. I'm pretty easy to please but when we are paying over $1000 USD a night I expect a little service.
To be completely honest if this was the first resort we would have stayed at on Bora we wouldnt have known a difference. Since this was our second resort on our trip it was night and day. We almost called our travel agent on the second day to move back to our previous resort.
If you are reading this want some advice on where to stay make a comment on this post and I will get back to you, if they even post this review :/
May 14, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by WorldTravelledFamily 3 Star Hotel Masked as a 5 Star
The Le Merdien Bora Bora was a disappointment for our family, especially in the dining experience, where they need a complete overhaul. I cannot comprehend how they are a 5 star hotel which offer:
1. No Salt and Pepper shakers...In fact they offer a shared plate of s&p at breakfast for everyone to pinch out of...
2. Most things in the buffet are cold and eggs cooked to order are cooked black..,not because they are burnt but because of the iron transfer from the pans.
3. They executive chef decided to leave in the middle of our dinner at 9 pm and we did not receive what we ordered. Instead of Crispy Chow Mein we received spaghetti with boiled vegetables.
4. Paper napkins for lunch and breakfast service.
5. For the same cost of dinner and soft drinks for 4 at this hotel, we at at the hotel next door in truly 5 star luxury with a drink, Apetizer, main course and desert....and we even got cold towels, Warm bread, S&P shakers and excellent service!!!
Beach staff is excellent, travel desk is good, bar menu is weak and overpriced. The game room keeps kids occupied when they are not in the water. Turtle center is free for guests, nice benefit, but beware the rooms..,they have termites. Even the luxury 2 bed room suite.
My recommendation - pick the St Regis or the Thalasso instead, you'll be happier.
January 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Maverick11 Absolute Paradise
This is our second trip to Le Meridien, Bora Bora. Our first visit was on our Honeymoon back in 2007 when my wife and I absolutely fell in love with Bora Bora and all the luxury Le Meridien had to offer us. That said, we were back earlier this month to celebrate our 5th anniversary in Bora Bora and Le Meridien was our obvious choice.
The location of this resort is by far the best with pristine beaches and lagoons with stunning view of the Mt. Otemanu on the main island.
The staff were very courteous and friendly. To my surprise, some of the older staff even recognized me from our previous visit. We stayed in the premium OWB on both the visits and the rooms were amazing with the huge glass bottom floors and spectacular views from our balcony.
Without a doubt, I'd recommed this place for anyone who wants to get the best out of Bora Bora.
My wife and I have decided to make Bora Bora our tradition to visit every 5yrs on our for our anniversary and Le Meridien is the only place we are going to stay.
December 31, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Bobby105 Buffet only choice on two evenings - expensive
I enjoyed my stay, but felt we should have had a choice of eating off menu instead of buffet only on two nights we stayed. It made it very expensive. French Polynesia is expensive enough, but not having choices was not good.
September 14, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Oli80 Great Hotel
At all a nice Hotel.
The overwaterbungalow was wonderful, but the housekeeping comes every day to early (8.30am) and it was not the cleanest room i ever saw (under the bed etc.) It has 5*, so i have requirements...
The food was great, but like all in Bora Bora expensive.
The only worse thing was the service in the restaurants at the evening. Some waiters was not so friendly. At the beachbar and the beachboys were friendly and have always a smile. So sometimes was the staff at the evening...
September 2, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by BabyDoc PARADISE
We spent 6 days here at the end of a cruise from Sydney. The staff was awesome! My 5 year old celebrated his bday today and they prepared him a cake and ice cream which he loved!!! The lagunarium was next island over and The St. Regis another starwood property is just next door which they let us use the amenities!!! We love being in the Starwood Family :-)
April 18, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by PWN27 Relax, play and experience
Bora Bora is a very unique experience so if you are coming here, you already have an idea of the kind of experience you are after.
However, I would highly recommend staying at Le Meridien if you are after a luxurious experience. They have excellent staff there who are helpful, friendly, courteous and responsive to all your needs. From the boat ride from the airport, to seeing the resort the first time and going into my premium overwater bungalow - this was a beautiful first impression I will never forget.
The resort will provide you with all your essential everyday fun activities - swimming, windsurfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkeling, pools, sunbathing on benches...etc. But it's the optional activities that will provide the most thrilling experiences while you are in Bora Bora. The 4x4 safari will provide you with beautiful and expansive views from the main island, as well as a learning and cultural experience of its people and history. Shark feeding will give you the opportunity to get up close with the marine life - something that you'll normally only see on TV screens. All of these activities are well worth the money (includes transport, friendly tour guide and extras such as experiencing local fruits) and can be conveniently arranged at the resort's activity centre.
The resort's food offerings are fantastic - with a mix of local and french style cuisine. All of these are priced fairly - similar to that in most Western countries - and the quality and inventiveness of the dishes are up there with premium restaurants. There is a buffet breakfast every morning with a great range of produce and cooked items that will suit anybody and fuel you for the day's activities.
The events also create a fantastic atmosphere, such as the Polynesian dance performance on our first night. I was most impressed with the live music at the bar and only wish I asked about the name of the two-person band that performed there one night to buy their music.
I could go on and on about how great the rooms are and all the facilities, but just do yourselves a favour and book a vacation at the resort right now. You will not regret it.
July 25, 2014