Rated 4 out of 5 by Beef The room smells
I have stayed in this hotel for many times - with good and bad experience. This time the room smells. I always book non smoking rooms and this room has a non smoking sign but it smells - not sure if it's really a non smoking room or it's just getting old and smells.
The staff here always says I get my platinum member room upgrade but it's not always the case (ie lies or misrepresentations at times).
May 12, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Alftrades No upgrade
Disappointed not to get a room upgrade when the hotel in half empty as a platinum member. Will stay at the Sheraton next time.
April 25, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Roberta only reason to stay here is the location
i am writing this while staying at this quite expensive hotel. it is not worth it: the location is very central, and the views are great, and the lobby is pretty. however, a madman designed the lifts (you have four different ones to go to various places in the hotel) so they have to give you a map when you check in, the service leaves a lot to be desired, the rooms have seen much better days (carpet is really not clean, amenities are at the very minimum, room is not large at all, and the whole thing looks a bit past its prime), you do not get even an apple to welcome you, the staff at the "bistro" is indifferent, if you are a vegetarian you have basically nothing to eat after buffet hours but once you are finished you do not even get a receipt, the "royal club" is a joke - if you go at 8.23 all you are offered is a soft drink, no alcohol and not even a snack of dried nuts. really, do not stay here: for this amount of money you can find a lot better. if this were cheap, it would be ok. it is not cheap. it is not ok.
April 21, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by transienttraveler Excellent staff at the club lounge
The club lounge is the best facility in this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, accommodates special food requests and offer good advice on the good restaurants in Shanghai. There is also the excellent skyline view from the lounge and rooms which is worth raving about. The gym facilities are good too, the flick catch on the weight machines is a nice feature.
As for the food quality, I would return to Allure if I crave for non-Asian food in Shanghai, this is one of the better European restaurants I have tried. However, the Chinese restaurant's food is so-so and the dining experience could have been better if the wait staff are more responsive. Also, it would be nice if the wait staff could provide dining info upfront rather than have guests ask about the offerings after observing the restaurant's set-up and what other guests are having.
I like the small things like the nice scent used on the ground floor lobby. Thus, it would be nice if the hotel could also improve on the ventilation on the check-in lobby floor and do something about the food smell. Also, it would be great if the cigarette bin next to the cab queue could be moved further away or if other improvisation could be made. It's thoughtful to provide convenience to smokers, but it should not be at the expense of non-smokers. If the cigarette bin can't be moved, could the hotel consider giving out queue numbers to the guests queuing for the cabs, so that we are given the option to stand further away from the cigarette bin? Thanks.
September 20, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by lmalik Staff Response Slow
-Room Service too slow
September 18, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Mango666 Room arrangement and enviornment
The front desk arranged a corner room to me and the room layout and enviornment was very bad, strong wind of aircon direct to my head when sleeping which made me serious headache and got flu, i asked to change the room at 1:30am!!! NONE of the hotel staff feel apology and said sorry to me.
September 15, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Sadexperience Very poor customer recovery destroyed an 8 year relationship
I spent more than 8 years visiting Le Meridian Shanghai regularly in exchange for nothing. Although I was SPG Platinum, I was upgraded to a suite only once - at all other times given the same room as SPG Gold members. This did not bother me, cos the staff in the lounge were very good. But I recently changed hotels in Shanghai to another Starwood property and from there I could see more differences where Le Meridian comes lacking. The food in the lounge is terrible, more like snack food, mostly steamed or fried stuff that are often over-heated and shrivelled. While the staff in the lounge were generally good with regular guests, the door and concierge staff on the ground floor are hopeless in helping with taxis during peak periods (unless you are going to airport) or air tickets for international travel etc (unless you are paying cash to purchase a new ticket). Because the hardware is good, the regular SPG platinum member is lulled into a sense of acceptance of the low quality because the location of this hotel is decently in the centre of town. Out of every 10 trips, I think I got a fruit basket or biscuits maybe 6 times - not important, but touch and go. It has several large restaurants but they are all like huge canteens - food very slow in coming and service very impersonal. I stopped patronising them for personal fine dinning a long time ago. I recently moved to a completely different Starwood hotel and I was shocked to find the differences in terms of food, quality of service and SPG recognition were dramatically different. I marked "Facilities Met My Expectations" lower, cos it is no longer acceptable just to have the standard fare (swimming pool, gym etc). The quality of delivery has to match.
January 9, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by DisappointedUser Not Recommended: Service Level Dropped
First of all, this hotel is located in Nanjing East, which is only a stone throw away from the Metro and a lot of eateries. This is a major winner for those who are not so familiar with Shanghai.
Previously I had a good experience with this hotel circa July 2012, but in my most recent stay in Jan 2013, my opinion changed. The service level dropped drastically. Here are the details:
1) No more evening room services: Le Meridien used to offer a evening room service whereby in the evening staff would replenish the water, top up the ice bucket, and help to close the curtain. It is such a gentle service that made me want to patron this hotel again. But during this stay, I don't find any of this anymore. Since this is complementary, I didn't complain, but definitely I am not impressed.
2) Inconsistent room rate: My colleague from Hong Kong and I stayed in the same hotel, though we did the booking separately. However my colleague got a rate cheaper than what I got and he got Internet included. Upon checking with the hotel, I was told my colleague got a lower rate because he did the booking in group. This really confused me because we two are from the same company and my company has negotiated a preferred rate with this hotel. Aren't all employees from the same company will get the same rate and plan? Isn't this is what the 'preferred rate' for?
3) Cheap bath set: It used to offer the Cinq Mondes shampoo, bath foam, and hand lotions. However this time all these were replaced by stuff in cheap plastic bottles. Upon careful inspection, these are bottled in China and I have no way to ascertain the quality. Given the price point of this hotel, I would say this is unacceptable. I did speak to the front desk, but I got the response "This is what you get" and decided pretty much I would avoid Le Meridien as much as I could. Thank you very much.
February 4, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Keith2628 staffs are not friendly, not helpful
most of the staffs in this 5 star hotel need to be re-training about how to treat their guests, from front desk, house keeping, concierge to restaurant staffs. All showing their "black face" when you asking for any services, And of cos you won't get a happy result from them! I have been this hotel over 15 times last two years, and it shows the services here are just getting worse and worse.
Bathroom products shd be changed to better quality one.
Internet very slow.
Buffet breakfast/ lobby restaurant always no one to clean up and service. Provided many different foods choice but be honesy taste are not so yummy.
Air-con system only provide warm temperature during winter, Its too hot for some guests like me. And u have to wait for long time for the staff to come to fix it up.
October 28, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by RyanW Diamond in the Rough, of sorts
I stayed at LeMeridien, Shanghai for 48 days and felt it encompassed a wide spectrum of feelings and experiences. The rooms are fantastic and very modern, the location is safe and pleasant, the staff (with the exception of housekeeping) try their hardest to please every guest. This was very refreshing due to the large amount of rudeness and chaos once I ventured the city. The only downside was the cleanliness of the room and professionalism of our cleaning staff. None of them spoke any English whatsoever and seemed to just lightly sweep the room, even when it was an absolute mess. My roommate had his book bag searched through and important papers were out of place.
Otherwise an outstanding review, the management staff is very responsible and always tried to accommodate to our needs.
March 18, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Mango666 Areas for improvement
I have just stayed in your shanghai hotel 6/25-28 and I believe this is at least my 7-8 times stayining in the same hotel in the past year, your hotel is always my company's choice for biz trip to shanghai. My company's travel agent has mentioned my flight number and arrival time in my booking, however, when I arrived and checked in on 6/25 night : 1) there is no more king size bed room 2) my original room has released to other customer who checked in earlier 3) assign a corner room to me at low floor, while my 2 colleagues got 61/F and 55/F respectively when they checked in earlier. I felt uncomfortable when I get in the corner room and I asked to change room, your staffs assigned another room to me which in even lower floor and I have to face the roof of aircon machine. I wonder how your staffs treat a frequent visitor and SPG club member like is. Really disappointed and I would suggest the company change another hotel in shanghai.
June 29, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nicola64 my home away from home
I have adopted le Royal Meridien as my base when I travel to Shanghai because the staff from the General Manager to the last bellboy do their best to make me feel at home . I really feel confortable and pampered .
September 8, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bizyren Good location but poor service
I read reviews that service in this hotel is below expectations of an SPG hotel- I simply shrugged off those comments as guests not understanding the language or culture. But I was proven wrong :
1. Front desk staff do not accord recognition to SPG Platinum. In fact, I had queued at the SPG Platinum queue and all the times, guests queuing in the normal queue were served first and even though they came much later than me.
2. Why I had to queue at the front desks a few times? Because the key cards failed to work, not once but twice. Not one card but 2 cards - and the front desk staff had the cheek to tell me that it was because. I had my mobile phone too close to the key card.
3. Breakfast at lobby area closed precisely at 1030am, in fact 2 minutes before 1030am on one occasion. And the reception just simple refuse to let me in although I told here I will be quick.
4. Evening cocktails at Club Floor were often not replenished - it is simply embarrassing to open the covers of the trays to find them empty, not one but almost all.
Is this Shanghai culture not to provide good service - No. I had stayed at lesser known hotels with multiple times better.
Le Royal Meridien - you simply have to improve and I do hope my comments are constructive.
April 26, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by swisspie41 Perfect hotel in the center of Shanghai
The hotel is situated in the center of Shanghai and is perfect for a stay in Shanghai. Very nice rooms, that are equiped with all you need. Food, especially breakfast is one of the best I've ever seen.
September 16, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Leoditi Breakfast
Few comments on breakfast.
1. Breakfast finishes at 10:30, and starting from 10am, most of the food at the buffet is not refilled, so if you go at breakfast after 10/10:10, you might find that some dish is missing/not available.
2. At 10:30 sharp, tens of workers come out from the kitchen and start removing breakfast buffet and cleaning tables: noisy, annoying, not good if you are still taking few minutes to finish your breakfast.
It happened once that the waiter went to clean my table (remove the table clothes of the unoccupied seat) while I am still having my breakfast (it was 10:35). Quite rude...
July 30, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Charlietravel Service levels gone downhill
I've stayed at this hotel a number of times ( 15+) over the years and the service standards have dropped significantly in the last year.
The few issues i've encountered or noticed during my last few visits.
1) in room toiletries - frankly are rubbish, some china made product that leaves your skin feeling awful ( for a 5* hotel at least supply L'occitaine or similar like your competition)
2) corridor noise is very bad if you have a room near a service door - i was woken 3 times one night from door slamming
3) no chance of room upgrade no matter what SPG level you are ( not once in 15 stays have i had one!)
4) Given its a 5* hotel in China you'd expect to be able to have chinese food on the day time menu - but its only available before 2pm or after 6 even though it is availbale at 2am..... just ridiculous.
5) check out process abominable - i waited over 10 mins at a very quiet time and repeatedly asked if someone else could come out to support the solo receptionist really don't expect this again in a 5* hotel.... my card was then charged TWICE ( though refunded it will still take weeks to go back on my card)....
6) food and beverages are extortionate ( gone up around 40% in 2 years) so best option is to go to Costa or Jamaica Blue for breakfast/lunch
On the + side the airport car service is excellent if not pricey at 800 RMB each way.
I won't be staying here much longer if service hasn't improved on the next stay!
June 30, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Andreas161 Nice hotel, location perfect to explore Shanghai
Hotel is located very close to People Square, Bund and many other attractions.
Good hotel with a few restaurants.
I have decided to book the Exec rooms to get a better service. This was not the case, the Excec reception was even not able to book my reservation in their own restaurant. I had to change my room (which could happen) but it took the housekeeping 35 min to get the new key for the other room.
Please calculate a few minutes more on waiting for elevator and changing elevators. The concept is confusing. There are elevators that go only down from reception, other go up but only half way. it could take a few minutes to find the right elevator.
Overall nice hotel but I would not book the Exec service next time.
April 15, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by friendlyvisitor Upgrade the quality of breakfast at your lounge
It will be great if you could upgrade your breakfast at the 44th storey lounge, more variety and much higher quality please. Your Breakfast staples have not changed for a long time. Potatoes are usually too dry, pan fried mushrooms too salty, croissants with not taste of butter, and egg station sometimes chunks out omelettes that are a little sour, I guess the liquid egg from carton boxes could be a bit stale. Also, please include Swiss muesli and/or Bircher muesli to your coco-pops and corn flakes.
I am a frequent visitor; hope to be able to enjoy a higher quality breakfast at the lounge. Your staff at the lounge is lovely though.
July 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Mimmo Simply amazing
Nothing more to add. came back to this hotel after one year (i lived here for 5 months).
Everything simply perfect. Room clean, spatious and SPG recognition.
Amazing breakfast and perfect lounge.
Hotel faciliities are amazing.
SImply one of the best hotels in Shanghai
September 1, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dohnuts Location
Great location for business and pleasure
July 13, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Wil76 Great hotel, great location, worst restaurant
The hotel itself, the services, the rooms and the facilities were all excellent. Very helpful and friendly staff, modern clean rooms, excellent bed.
The French restaurant Allure in the lobby area, however, was one of the worst dining experiences ever. Very, very slow, even when not busy, essentially no service unless we got up and asked for it. 2.5 hours for a 'quick meal'. Fixe Price menu was overpriced and simply bad. Tough cut of meat that was lacking flavor, overcooked vegs, etc. Ai Mei buffet was 10x better at a small portion of the cost. Had similar cut of meat at Ai Mei, and it was very tender, flavorful - they should trade chefs.
February 27, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by TanSYR Hotel staff are impolite
1) bfast - hotel staff show sour face when i request for plastic fork n spoon, long waiting time, never provide paper bag till i request
2) when i park my car, the 1st floor parking assistant at the ground floor also being very rude and ask me must go park at the shopping mall car park
3) when i order room service, the staff pick up phone gave me feeling of reluctant to take my order, and i waited ~45mins for that, i got to make 2nd phone call to follow up, and ended up i got to sleep late due to that long waiting time
September 15, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by PCHello Convenient location, and great gym.
The staff was very helpful in all aspects. The gym was good and the rooms very comfortable. I really don't have much to complain. I just wish the shower had warm water, but in the summer it's not uncommon that the water is cold.
August 26, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JohnCanuck Great location and friendly staff
One of my favourite SPG hotels in Shanghai. Location is great and only steps to People's Square subway station. Easy to get to from SHA and PVG airports on the No. 2 Line subway. Right outside the hotel is Nanjing East Road pedestrian mall. Very friendly staff in the Club Lounge.
August 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Voyager71 10 Stars
The location is great. The staff was super professional, especially in the Royal Club on the 44th floor. The elevators are a bit complicated but once you get used to the system...
Restaurants; 'Le Bistro' should not be buffet but have a menu. My first evening there I ate at 'Allure' and found the food and wine to be mediocre for the money they charged. The offerings upstairs in the Royal Club were excellent.
Otherwise, I hated to leave!
November 19, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by James007 Consistently meets and exceeds my expectations
I have stayed in this hotel a number of times over the past few years and have never been disappointed. Everything about it meets and often exceeds my expectations every time. The staff are delightful, knowledgable and helpful. The meeting facilities are alos very good and, again, the events staff couldn't do more in terms of being helpful. I'm already looking forward to my stay stay !
December 5, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 Exceed your expectations in Shanghai - Stay at the Le Meridien!
First and foremost, if you email the hotel, they respond back quick. To me, that tells me they value communication. From check-in to check-out, the Le Meridien exceeded my expectations. The rooms were sleek, stylish, and most of all, comfortable. This has been my 3rd stay and I look forward to my fourth. Bring some swim trunks too - they have an amazing pool and jacuzzi.
November 30, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Stash91 Best Location and Best Exec Lounge in Shanghai
All around best location, lounge and staff in central Shanghai. Have stayed here and other locations for many years, but always come back to Meridien as the best of everything in Shanghai.
May 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by MisterT in the heart of Shanghai
I spent several stays here and I know it enough.
Professional people (staffs and managers) take care of you.
Restaurants are well equipped and serviced.
Rooms and common areas are clean.
Because of these and the perfect location (if you want to discover Shanghai starting from the walking street) for sure this is one of the best option in Shanghai.
August 14, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Hi123 Good location but service standard to be improved
1. front desk service - bad: bad service attitude when wondered why king size bed is not available (it is requested and noted in hotel booking). I was hinted the corp. rate doesn't deserve the privilege and asked to upgrade to higher grade if I really want a king size bed by a supervisor level lady.
2. in-room service (incl. dining) - awesome: responsive, punctual and good service attitude
3. housekeeping - bad: forget to replenish amenities, breakfast card is worn out
4. concierge - awesome team: helpful, friendly - esp. nominate Adam for his helpfulness
Overall, the service quality is not consistent. Sad to say, I doubt I will choose this hotel for my next trip.
June 25, 2014