Rated 4 out of 5 by HCAO Nanjing Road Gem
2nd Stay this time and was upgraded to a Junior Suite (practically a large room). My last stay I was upgraded to a much better and larger, real suite. And I have to stay this was the main reason I chose to come back other than staying at the Luxury Collection in Pudong. Big disappointment.
Services at the Executive Lounge were ok throughout my 3 nights stay but there is certainly room for improvements. Breakfast and Happy Hour were down in turn of quality and variety. The sofa seats were still as uncomfortable as before.
Confusing Ground floor and Lobby floor for many. 789 bar at the top floors is one of the must visits.
Otherwise a centrally located hotel in Shanghai for business travelers.
January 17, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by Turbo97 Poor SPG recognition and unfriendly staff. Look for other hotel options.
The staff at the check in desk were cold and how would I say, unfriendly and not appreciative. Almost as if they dreaded working there. Same goes for the gentleman at the ground lobby. When I checked in evening the staff at the counter didn't smile or seem warm. He was on the phone and there were 2 other colleagues that didn't seem to want to work. After he got off the phone, no smile or a hello. Just took my passport. I asked if I could get a room upgrade and he stayed silent. After he verified my one night stay, he just gave me the keys and said i got you an upgrade. After that I had to ask which way to the rooms? In addition, didn't even offer explain my SPG Platinum benefits to me, such as f i wanted breakfast or not. It has been a year since I stayed at this hotel and now was reminded why i didn't want to go back. Bad and unfriendly customer service. When i checked into my room which was on a SPG floor, it was the exact same basic room i had when I was just starting out as a basic SPG member. On a second occasion on the next day, i went to the check in counter and asked for a duplicate room Key. The girl didn't smile or say anything, checked my id, and rudely handed me a room key and went back to what she was doing. Didn't say much else. I think the Sheraton Hong Qiao service is a world of difference in terms of upgrades, personable experience and friendly service representatives. There are many hotel options in Shanghai and this is definitely NOT an SPG hotel by any means. More of a rude local operation if anything.
January 5, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by Roberta only reason to stay here is the location
i am writing this while staying at this quite expensive hotel. it is not worth it: the location is very central, and the views are great, and the lobby is pretty. however, a madman designed the lifts (you have four different ones to go to various places in the hotel) so they have to give you a map when you check in, the service leaves a lot to be desired, the rooms have seen much better days (carpet is really not clean, amenities are at the very minimum, room is not large at all, and the whole thing looks a bit past its prime), you do not get even an apple to welcome you, the staff at the "bistro" is indifferent, if you are a vegetarian you have basically nothing to eat after buffet hours but once you are finished you do not even get a receipt, the "royal club" is a joke - if you go at 8.23 all you are offered is a soft drink, no alcohol and not even a snack of dried nuts. really, do not stay here: for this amount of money you can find a lot better. if this were cheap, it would be ok. it is not cheap. it is not ok.
April 21, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bizyren Good location but poor service
I read reviews that service in this hotel is below expectations of an SPG hotel- I simply shrugged off those comments as guests not understanding the language or culture. But I was proven wrong :
1. Front desk staff do not accord recognition to SPG Platinum. In fact, I had queued at the SPG Platinum queue and all the times, guests queuing in the normal queue were served first and even though they came much later than me.
2. Why I had to queue at the front desks a few times? Because the key cards failed to work, not once but twice. Not one card but 2 cards - and the front desk staff had the cheek to tell me that it was because. I had my mobile phone too close to the key card.
3. Breakfast at lobby area closed precisely at 1030am, in fact 2 minutes before 1030am on one occasion. And the reception just simple refuse to let me in although I told here I will be quick.
4. Evening cocktails at Club Floor were often not replenished - it is simply embarrassing to open the covers of the trays to find them empty, not one but almost all.
Is this Shanghai culture not to provide good service - No. I had stayed at lesser known hotels with multiple times better.
Le Royal Meridien - you simply have to improve and I do hope my comments are constructive.
April 26, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by DisappointedUser Not Recommended: Service Level Dropped
First of all, this hotel is located in Nanjing East, which is only a stone throw away from the Metro and a lot of eateries. This is a major winner for those who are not so familiar with Shanghai.
Previously I had a good experience with this hotel circa July 2012, but in my most recent stay in Jan 2013, my opinion changed. The service level dropped drastically. Here are the details:
1) No more evening room services: Le Meridien used to offer a evening room service whereby in the evening staff would replenish the water, top up the ice bucket, and help to close the curtain. It is such a gentle service that made me want to patron this hotel again. But during this stay, I don't find any of this anymore. Since this is complementary, I didn't complain, but definitely I am not impressed.
2) Inconsistent room rate: My colleague from Hong Kong and I stayed in the same hotel, though we did the booking separately. However my colleague got a rate cheaper than what I got and he got Internet included. Upon checking with the hotel, I was told my colleague got a lower rate because he did the booking in group. This really confused me because we two are from the same company and my company has negotiated a preferred rate with this hotel. Aren't all employees from the same company will get the same rate and plan? Isn't this is what the 'preferred rate' for?
3) Cheap bath set: It used to offer the Cinq Mondes shampoo, bath foam, and hand lotions. However this time all these were replaced by stuff in cheap plastic bottles. Upon careful inspection, these are bottled in China and I have no way to ascertain the quality. Given the price point of this hotel, I would say this is unacceptable. I did speak to the front desk, but I got the response "This is what you get" and decided pretty much I would avoid Le Meridien as much as I could. Thank you very much.
February 4, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Alftrades No upgrade
Disappointed not to get a room upgrade when the hotel in half empty as a platinum member. Will stay at the Sheraton next time.
April 25, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Sadexperience Very poor customer recovery destroyed an 8 year relationship
I spent more than 8 years visiting Le Meridian Shanghai regularly in exchange for nothing. Although I was SPG Platinum, I was upgraded to a suite only once - at all other times given the same room as SPG Gold members. This did not bother me, cos the staff in the lounge were very good. But I recently changed hotels in Shanghai to another Starwood property and from there I could see more differences where Le Meridian comes lacking. The food in the lounge is terrible, more like snack food, mostly steamed or fried stuff that are often over-heated and shrivelled. While the staff in the lounge were generally good with regular guests, the door and concierge staff on the ground floor are hopeless in helping with taxis during peak periods (unless you are going to airport) or air tickets for international travel etc (unless you are paying cash to purchase a new ticket). Because the hardware is good, the regular SPG platinum member is lulled into a sense of acceptance of the low quality because the location of this hotel is decently in the centre of town. Out of every 10 trips, I think I got a fruit basket or biscuits maybe 6 times - not important, but touch and go. It has several large restaurants but they are all like huge canteens - food very slow in coming and service very impersonal. I stopped patronising them for personal fine dinning a long time ago. I recently moved to a completely different Starwood hotel and I was shocked to find the differences in terms of food, quality of service and SPG recognition were dramatically different. I marked "Facilities Met My Expectations" lower, cos it is no longer acceptable just to have the standard fare (swimming pool, gym etc). The quality of delivery has to match.
January 9, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Beef The room smells
I have stayed in this hotel for many times - with good and bad experience. This time the room smells. I always book non smoking rooms and this room has a non smoking sign but it smells - not sure if it's really a non smoking room or it's just getting old and smells.
The staff here always says I get my platinum member room upgrade but it's not always the case (ie lies or misrepresentations at times).
May 12, 2014