Rated 5 out of 5 by AndyX Great location, great service
In the middle of the bustling center of Shanghai. Great staff and service. Generous upgrade. Room with a dream view of People's Square. Near metro and public transportation. Executive lounge often crowded .
March 14, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Darkeststar07 Good hotel but...
I've stayed in the LRM Shanghai twice for business in the past 6 months and will be staying there again in next week.
Few points to improve on.
1. Staff managing check in is either not paying attention or rude. This is irregardless whether it's a Chinese or other nationalities. Also, just because I'm Asian, most of the staff automatically assume I'm local chinese and start speaking to me in mandarin or being rude to me. As such, as a SPG member, i wasn't exactly feeling very welcomed..??
2. Buffet breakfast spread was good but the staff needs to be better trained. My plate or table was being cleared when I've not finished eating. It happened quite a few times in a single morning and it's not a good way to start the morning.
Positives: Rooms are nice and clean. Location is top notch, very convenient.
Hope this points will be addressed when I check in next week.
March 9, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by RaymondG1978 Best Business and Family Friendly Hotel in Asia - Top Notch Services and Rooms
There are very few hotels that make me excited to check-in after a long flight from the United States. Le Royal Meridien Shanghai is one those hotels that you tell your family, friends, and colleagues about because they go through endless hoops to make sure they meet all of your expectations. My requests were handled and even before I could say thank you. First, every guest is a valued guest at this hotel and when you walk in to the lobby, people are ready to greet you and make you feel welcomed. After touring Shanghai or flying 13 hours, the worst thing are long check-in lines and unwelcoming public areas. This is not the case for Le Meridien. They do whatever it takes to get you in/out and to your room. Once you are in your room, the views are impeccable and the best than any other hotel in Shanghai. TIP: Upgrade yourself to the Le Royal Club rooms and you will be placed higher than floor 44 to 60 with views that make you feel like you are in space. Once you lie in bed, it is hard to get out because you are so comfortable - this is a huge plus after a long flight or busy day working. Super comfortable furnishings and exceptional bathroom amenities. The wireless internet inside the rooms and within the lobby is very fast. The gym is amazing with a huge indoor pool and separate jacuzzi/saunas for relaxation. The pool is very family friendly and the staff help you meet your workout goals by offering anything you need. Overall, do yourself a favor and stay here. It is super easy to find from the People's Square subway station and it is the prime location to get all of your Shanghai desires met!
February 25, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by transienttraveler A hotel that listens
This hotel actually takes actions on feedback given! Two noticebly improvements I'm grateful for - a# The cigarette bin has been relocated, it's much more comfortable queuing for cabs now. b) The concierge guys have also changed their process and now use the local taxi apps to call for cabs, which greatly reduce the waiting time during peak hours.
It's a pity I didn't give Favola a try until this trip, and it was a pleasant surprise. Freshest salad I've ever had in Shanghai #although the olive oil is a tad too much), good tiramisu too. The pizza is nicely done, though the lobster pasta didn't quite meet expectations.
The room was clean, but it would be good if the hotel could check on their beds periodically. The springs of the beds in my room and my colleague's room were worn out and did not provide adequate lumbar support. It would also have been nice if the hotel is more generous with providing complimentary suite upgrades, which happen more often in other spg hotels.
Just one other observation - perhaps, Facilities could look into the algorithm setting of the elevators to make them smarter and more efficient. Have encountered a few unhappy guests during the mornings when the wait was long and the elevators stopped at almost every floor, resulting in packed elevators despite the number of elevators available.
February 14, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by Roberta only reason to stay here is the location
i am writing this while staying at this quite expensive hotel. it is not worth it: the location is very central, and the views are great, and the lobby is pretty. however, a madman designed the lifts (you have four different ones to go to various places in the hotel) so they have to give you a map when you check in, the service leaves a lot to be desired, the rooms have seen much better days (carpet is really not clean, amenities are at the very minimum, room is not large at all, and the whole thing looks a bit past its prime), you do not get even an apple to welcome you, the staff at the "bistro" is indifferent, if you are a vegetarian you have basically nothing to eat after buffet hours but once you are finished you do not even get a receipt, the "royal club" is a joke - if you go at 8.23 all you are offered is a soft drink, no alcohol and not even a snack of dried nuts. really, do not stay here: for this amount of money you can find a lot better. if this were cheap, it would be ok. it is not cheap. it is not ok.
April 21, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bizyren Good location but poor service
I read reviews that service in this hotel is below expectations of an SPG hotel- I simply shrugged off those comments as guests not understanding the language or culture. But I was proven wrong :
1. Front desk staff do not accord recognition to SPG Platinum. In fact, I had queued at the SPG Platinum queue and all the times, guests queuing in the normal queue were served first and even though they came much later than me.
2. Why I had to queue at the front desks a few times? Because the key cards failed to work, not once but twice. Not one card but 2 cards - and the front desk staff had the cheek to tell me that it was because. I had my mobile phone too close to the key card.
3. Breakfast at lobby area closed precisely at 1030am, in fact 2 minutes before 1030am on one occasion. And the reception just simple refuse to let me in although I told here I will be quick.
4. Evening cocktails at Club Floor were often not replenished - it is simply embarrassing to open the covers of the trays to find them empty, not one but almost all.
Is this Shanghai culture not to provide good service - No. I had stayed at lesser known hotels with multiple times better.
Le Royal Meridien - you simply have to improve and I do hope my comments are constructive.
April 26, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by DisappointedUser Not Recommended: Service Level Dropped
First of all, this hotel is located in Nanjing East, which is only a stone throw away from the Metro and a lot of eateries. This is a major winner for those who are not so familiar with Shanghai.
Previously I had a good experience with this hotel circa July 2012, but in my most recent stay in Jan 2013, my opinion changed. The service level dropped drastically. Here are the details:
1) No more evening room services: Le Meridien used to offer a evening room service whereby in the evening staff would replenish the water, top up the ice bucket, and help to close the curtain. It is such a gentle service that made me want to patron this hotel again. But during this stay, I don't find any of this anymore. Since this is complementary, I didn't complain, but definitely I am not impressed.
2) Inconsistent room rate: My colleague from Hong Kong and I stayed in the same hotel, though we did the booking separately. However my colleague got a rate cheaper than what I got and he got Internet included. Upon checking with the hotel, I was told my colleague got a lower rate because he did the booking in group. This really confused me because we two are from the same company and my company has negotiated a preferred rate with this hotel. Aren't all employees from the same company will get the same rate and plan? Isn't this is what the 'preferred rate' for?
3) Cheap bath set: It used to offer the Cinq Mondes shampoo, bath foam, and hand lotions. However this time all these were replaced by stuff in cheap plastic bottles. Upon careful inspection, these are bottled in China and I have no way to ascertain the quality. Given the price point of this hotel, I would say this is unacceptable. I did speak to the front desk, but I got the response "This is what you get" and decided pretty much I would avoid Le Meridien as much as I could. Thank you very much.
February 4, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Beef The room smells
I have stayed in this hotel for many times - with good and bad experience. This time the room smells. I always book non smoking rooms and this room has a non smoking sign but it smells - not sure if it's really a non smoking room or it's just getting old and smells.
The staff here always says I get my platinum member room upgrade but it's not always the case (ie lies or misrepresentations at times).
May 12, 2014