Rated 4 out of 5 by bbear Room Exceeded expactation
I decided to stay here for a long weekend to get away. drink a little wine and dissapear from daily chaos...it worked. The room was above and beyond with breathtaking view of the village and snow capped mountains. Views here and in the fortified village 5 kilometers up the road were spiritual. I found dining had very few options, but definately worth the trip.
May 19, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Socrates A little fairytale...
We arrived late at night to what appeared to be a discretely lit, anachronistic castle with, in lieu of stone walls and towers, a fantastic architecture coloured with bold, winery-inspired palette. This luxury collection hotel is unique and unforgettable, with a glass bridge connecting the two wings of the structure allowing you to breeze under Gehry's titanium ribbons.
The location was lovely, with the small, characteristic town of Elciego within walking distance of the hotel and a beautiful view over the town church and vineyards from the breakfast area.
Impeccable room with vineyard view and complimentary valrhona chocolate, the welcome gift as a platinum member was a locally produced olive oil we continued to enjoy at home.
We visited the Guggenheim in Bilbao and, while imposing and impressive, our stay in Elciego provided us with a much more intimate perception of Gehry's work, almost as if we had been two guests in his living room, where he held his sketchbook and told us about the enchanted Basque land his imagination was about to conquer.
August 3, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Fem69 Great stay!
My wife and I spent two nights at this hotel in early December and everything was perfect. The rooms are large and comfortable; breakfast is delicious and with high quality produce, the bistro serves excellent food and the wine bar is the perfect place for a quick bite. The spa itself is not impressive but the treatments are quite original. I took a "skull massage" and it was very enjoyable. The Marques de Riscal winery is worth a visit (free with your stay) as it is Ysios in the nearby town of Laguardia.
Above all I would highlight the service. Everybody is nice, willing to help but respectful with your privacy. The hotel has the perfect size for a luxury retreat: not too big so you don't feel anonymous, not too small so you can still go unnoticed!
December 21, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by suman514 Divine in every way - would love to go back
I don’t normally write such long reviews, but our hotel experience was very special.
1. Excellent service. Yahia, the doorman/bellboy/repairman, was more than amazing. In fact, there really are no words to describe how fantastic he was! For my husband and I, an excellent hotel experience includes a nice, clean room, good facilities AND great service. This hotel nailed the “service” with Yahia. He’s your first point of contact at the hotel (he helps you out of your car, taxi, etc). He is an absolute gem, and I hope the hotel holds on to him. Yahia - thank you so much for making our stay unforgettable!
2. Fully equipped rooms with a view. Not only were there top of the line electronics within the room, the bathroom was probably one of the most spacious that we've ever experienced (includes 2 closets, bathtub, shower stall with rain shower, Cinq Monde toiletries and a separate toilet closet#. Our room was in the spa wing and had a stunning view of the church and the rest of the village of Elciego. If you don’t get a room in the main building, ask for one facing the town - you won’t regret it!
3. Great food. Dinner at the hotel’s Michelin star restaurant, “Restaurante Marqués de Riscal,” is an absolute must. We had the 10 course tasting menu, and it was the best dinner we've ever had. It was creative and delicious using local ingredients. The restaurant/Chef also worked around my shellfish allergy so that I could enjoy the dining experience with my husband. My dishes were exquisite and my husband loved his too. Thank you Chef! I would also like to applaud the 5-person team that were flawless and courteous throughout the dinner service.
4. Stunning hotel. Designed by frank Gerry, I found the exterior ribbon-like architecture of the main building mesmerizing and surreal. I must have taken at least a hundred pictures of the hotel, but still feel like my pictures didn’t do it justice. Just gorgeous.
5. Other. We didn't get any spa services #Claudalie products), but the pool was really nice and the lounging area by the vineyard was relaxing.
Highly recommend this hotel.
April 12, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by mic64 great Ghery, but....
If you want to go to see Ghery architecture ok, but I was expecting a warm hotel in a countryside not a cold hotel without any feeling exept Ghery.
I didn't go to the restaurant because it was very dark and unconfortable.
the bed is great as usual, the room is very big and confortable, but colours are terribles! tha bathroom huge , more then huge, but the shower didn't work well. the same for the swimminpool, it was perfect! and very nice, but the shower only with hot water (it was impossible to shower!).
I espect more from a luxury collection 5 star!
sorry, but I prefer to go to see Ghery in Bilbao
December 5, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5 by Premium Example of content and style
The hotel is a beacon off the highway to guests. The staff is welcoming and accomidated all our needs. Had dinner at the gastronomic. It was a wonderful experience in new cuisine although if you are on vacation its better to try for the local Rioja classic dishes. Close to Logrono for more city pleasures but just up the road La gaurdia a small classic town. I would suggest that the hotel arrange a private tasting or tour just for Platinum members as perk instead of a general group one.
November 17, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by StevenPat Impeccable Service, Beautiful Hotel
What a unique hotel in the middle of wine country! My wife and I stayed in room 1 and had a beautiful view of the cathedral. It even gets better at night as it's lit up against the dark sky. The general manager greeted us and made us feel right at home. The entire staff was pleasant and welcoming. The tasting menu was outstanding and the wine topped off a perfect stay. We highly recommend this experience for any couple who wants a romantic getaway.
October 24, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by AR11 Small, but incredible property in Elciego, ES
The Marques has a hard expectation to live up to. From the moment you book a stay you anticipate your arrival at this architecturally stunning property. Fortunately the hotel rises to those expectations and exceeds them.
I arrived in the evening to find the hotel lit up in the Spanish night. It's edges glowing and the sinuous sheen of the stainless steel and titanium cutting through the black of night. Incredible.
I spent 6 nights at the hotel and found all of it's facilities to be word class. There are three restaurants, a wonderful spa, and a guest library that is the perfect place for a late night drink.
Additionaly, the small towns of Elciego, Laguardia,and the surrounding vineyards are a wonderful place to run, bike, or just spend a day touring.
Finally, the staff are attentive without being pushy and work hard to accommodate your every request.
A true five-star experience!
December 13, 2011