Crete, the southernmost island in the Mediterranean, is internationally renowned for its rich history, enchanting beaches, traditional villages, and dramatic landscape, which includes high mountains, lush emerald forests, and incandescent blue coastlines.
The Blue Palace is ideally positioned to benefit from all of Crete’s treasures. It is located just three kilometers from the village of Elounda and within a hundred meters of the characteristic fishing village of Plaka.
We recommend the following special nearby places to explore:
- Spinaloga Island: Rent a speed boat or private boat to this small historical island, home to a 16th Century Venetian fortress and Greece's oldest leper colony.
- The Palace of Knossos: Built in 1900 B.C, it is the birthplace of western civilization and was the cultural, religious, military, commercial, and managerial center of Minoan society.
- The villages of Archanes and Kritsa: Experience traditional Cretan culture and sample local wines.
- The Panaghia Kera monastery: An ancient Byzantine church popular for its frescos.
- Lassithi Plateau: Take an excursion to the villages at the top of Mount Lassithi. Legend has it that Zeus was born in the nearby Dikteon cave.
The island is also ideal for hiking and mountain biking. Ask our concierge for recommendations or to arrange excursion transportation.
The most common languages are Greek, English, French, and German. The currency used is the Euro and all major credit cards are commonly accepted. The electrical system is standard European 220 volt; adaptors are available.
Shops are open Monday to Friday 9am-9pm with a lunch break from 2pm-5pm.
View Local Area Map