Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Located in the Chaillot Quarter, the Prince de Galles was built in 1928 by Arfvidson. Its style was inspired by the Decorative Arts exhibition of 1925 with a classical yet modern frontage and a magnificent patio in mosaic. Arfvidson, who worked on one of the Champs-Elysées galleries, belonged to the group of intermediary architects who announced the period known as the Modern Movement.
The Prince de Galles owes its name to its original aim—to welcome Prince of Wales Edward VIII, son of England’s King George V, to Paris during his annual stays. The hotel opened its doors in September 1928. Numerous French and international personalities attended this grand opening and quickly became regular guests, including Sir Winston Churchill, Lord Chamberlain, the king of Yugoslavia, Marlene Dietrich, and Lily Damita (she later returned under the name of Mrs. Errol Flynn). Charles Laughton stayed in the hotel for long months; Lana Turner and Gina Lollobrigida discovered Paris through those very same windows.
In 1984, a first wave of renovations was undertaken, and a second in 1993-1994. With this second renovation by Pierre-Yves Rochon, guest rooms and suites were fully redecorated, and the lobby, bar, and restaurant were redesigned.
In 1998, the hotel became part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts.
The hotel closed from February 2011 to May 2013 for a full renovation. The restoration of the interiors was led by two internationally acclaimed French designers: Rochon and Bruno Borrione.