Rated 5 out of 5 by smarko1 The best Westin in Canada
I stay here every two weeks for work on Vancouver Island. The staff is top notch and Steven The concierge is my go to person as a Platinum member. I will be SPG50 this month and will still go to him for my needs. Shane who is assistant conceierge is equally amazing. SPG Platinum recognition is what it should be at every property.
The housekeeping staff is really friendly as I opt for the make a green choice as I travel alone for business and they ensure I have water and tea if needed. The check in agents are great. I can not always remember all of their names but Amanda is one that I see often and she goes above to make sure I feel welcomed at arrival. The valet guys at the front equally do the same.
The renovations are almost complete and the suites are what you would see in Whistler but even better.
Kudos on everything staff!
March 6, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by smarko1 Another Great Stay with great SPG Platinum service
I have stayed here on 3 occasions now as I frequent the Victoria, BC area for business 2 times a month. This has become my go to property in the area. For those that are not familiar with Victoria this property is not downtown and is located in the Bear Mountain development which is 3kms up from the city of Langford. It is well worth the short drive!
Great staff all around from check in to check out. The service bar staff in the Master's Lounge is also great. Michelle is a great bartender and super courteous.
As a Platinum SPG Member I wish that all SPG properties took as much care for us Elite members as they do here. The One Bedroom Suites are large with a great separate bedroom area and master bathroom with the trademark Westin shower. The suite has a half bathroom at the entrance and the couch in the living room faces a great electric fireplace. The views can vary from resort to golf course and mountains.
Take note that the main hotel Clubhouse area is under renovation so the newly renovated "Fairways" building is being used. It is only 3 floors but the rooms are updated to better furniture and it was very quiet. The balconies are smaller in this wing. My only complaint is the TV's need to be updated along with the appliances. Other than that this is the best spot in all over Vancouver Island hands down.
January 22, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by MAC01 Location Location Location!
Had an excellent stay at Bear Mountain. Staff were friendly and very professional from the moment we arrived at the front door. What can I say....location, location, location. Fantastic views of the golf coarse and mountains. It was way to short of a visit. Will definitely return for a longer stay next time.
December 11, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by smarko1 Work on Island every few weeks
This was my first visit here. I travel to Vancouver Island every few weeks for business. I usually stay at the Four Points down the hill which is great but since it is off season and the rates are better I wanted to try this property.
It is not located near downtown Victoria and is 3km up a mountain but for me I enjoy out of the city. The hotel does offer a shuttle for 15 dollars to downtown which is less than half of what a cab would cost so I would recommend using it.
The room I was given was very nice with a large balcony and golf course view. These rooms are larger but do not have king beds. At the time of my visit I was a Gold spg member but I am now platinum and looking forward to seeing the suite on my next visit. The staff is very nice and pleasant and makes you feel welcome.
For food I recommend trying Jacks which is right next door and used to be the check in for the hotel prior to their expansion.
December 4, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by red59 very upscale
All areas, including rooms were very spacious and the setting was beautiful in amongst the nature and greenery. Staff was very helpful, friendly and attentive.
November 30, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Gordo13 Great hotel
I always stay at this hotel when I go to Victoria. Sure it is a bit out of town, but it is worth the drive. Located on Bear Mountain. Great views? large well appointed rooms.
November 28, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by fireworks2015 Great Service & Great Fireworks
We had an party in one of the suites and the food was perfectly timed and Nathan and Jamie were able to look after all the guests. The Halloween fireworks display far exceeded everyone's expectations and made a great evening that much better.
November 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by AvaD Made our anniversary special
We were so surprised at the up-grade for our anniversary as well as an early check in and a later check out. Everyone was so nice and made our little anniversary break something to remember.
Thank you again. We will definitely be back.
Ann & Lloyd on our 59th Anniversary.
October 29, 2015
Rated 1 out of 5 by Ramande Bad place with rude staff/ Worst resort for families with kids/ Doors between the rooms with no privacy/ Thin walls and no soundproofing/
We had been planning to visit Victoria since quite some time. We choose Bear Mountain Resort - Victoria, BC which turned out to be worst experience we have ever had. We checked in on 24th October and had booked for 2 nights. The room was spacious with functional kitchen, however there was a door in between the suites. We were looking forward to relaxing 2 nights at this place. We went out to get something to eat. We were back in the hotel around 10.45 PM. That’s when the ordeal began.
We have 2 young sons of 3 and a half and 1 and a half years. The younger one wasn’t feeling well . We were trying to pacify our son. We got a call around 11.30 PM from Carlos at the hotel reception saying that the kids were making too much noise and the guest in the adjoining room is saying that he can hear kids voice. Carlos said why are your kids still awake. They should have slept at 8 PM itself. We humbly told him that we had come for a vacation. And our younger one wasn’t well. We didn’t even had the TV on. We were not making any unnecessary noise. Our son was not well. How could we force him to sleep. We told him about the door and lack of any soundproofing was the real culprit. We were able to hear noises of people who were playing golf outside in the garden.
We got 2 more call in quick succession asking us to keep the noise down. We told the staff that we were already stressed as our son wasn’t well and were trying to put him to sleep. Me and my wife thought that we should go out and speak to the seniors because the calls were becoming very discomforting and irritating. We spoke to Carlos first who had a security guard by his side all the time. He told us that we should get out of the room and come back after kids sleep. He showed no empathy towards our sons condition and never showed any consideration. We were surprised and shocked at this inhuman behaviour coming especially from the staff of a big hotel. We told him that we had paid money to be in the hotel room and not out of it. How could he expect that we will take our kids outside in such severe cold and that too when the younger one was sick. He said we have to ensure that the kids sleep immediately. We told him that we were trying everything possible and would like to meet his senior.
His senior was an elderly gentleman called Kim. Kim was anything but gentle. The moment he saw us he started shouting at us. He didn’t even let us speak. He told us that we were adults and kids are supposed to sleep at 8pm ; sick or not. We had to make sure that they sleep immediately or we will need to get out of the room, go to the lobby or anywhere else and come back only when they sleep. He shouted on me and my wife which scarred us and our kids. How can a staff yell at a women ; that too in front of kids. This shows total lack of training or empathy on Kim’s part. He doesn’t deserve to be in hospitality industry. We requested him to refund our money for the next night as we didn’t want to stay with them any longer. He said he doesn’t have our money (we booked through Expedia) and we should talk to them. We realized that there was no point speaking to him as well and confined ourselves to the bedroom. We closed the door. Didn’t have coffee or anything to eat. We were really stressed out. And decided to check out 1 day early which we did.
We spoke to the Manager the next day and he said he had reports from Carlos, Kim and the security guards which mentioned that we and only we were at fault. He didn’t say sorry even once for the inconvenience or the financial loss we suffered.
We had planned a 2 night stay which was cut short by one night. We had bought the groceries for 2 days which were wasted. We had booked our ferry for Monday and had to come back one day early. We lost money for 1 night of our stay. We were offered only 20 dollars back (resort fee) and nothing else. None of the staff members were sorry that we had to leave early. All our planning and our expectation of a relaxing holiday was crushed. We were much more stressed then we were when we got into this place. This is the worst place we have ever been to ever and will never recommend it to any decent human being.
The best part of the visit was that we are back home.
Please never visit this place with worst staff with no courtesy or customer service skills.
We are not expecting to get any apology from the hotel staff. It seems that all of them were hand in glove. If we are able to save even one human being from the agony we suffered our effort in writing this review will be ratified.
October 27, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Amanda17 the best
Had the best stay here. we got upgraded and were able to relax with no disruptions.
October 5, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by DarleneO Fabulous
We had a beautiful stay at the Westin Bear Mountain. The rooms, food and service were fabulous. I would highly recommend this resort and will definitely be returning annually.
September 21, 2015
Rated 1 out of 5 by Polarbrrrrr Lots of noise from hallway and ceiling in my room
There was an infant across the hall that when it started crying, I could easily hear it in my room and woke up. I could hear people walking in the hallway and going in/out of their rooms from the bed with the TV on. It sounded like they were in the room with me! The ceiling noise was also atrocious. All the people were not being obnoxious or rude, they were making normal levels of noise, the rooms are just not at all sound insulated. At all. I slept very poorly as a result. I raised this issue with staff and nothing was offered or done to resolve the problem.
September 19, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by YVRtravelgurl We will stay longer next time!
This beautiful resort was such a lovely surprise. Beautiful views, fresh air and quiet....ahhh. We stayed in the one bedroom suite which was really large, and should be comfortable for 4 adults (2 bathrooms). The kitchen had everything you would need for a long stay. We stayed for 2 nights and next time will be minimum 5.
September 17, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by LING123 Great hotel
I had a great start. It was perfect. Nice facilities, and the lady who brought up my gear lending was super nice and considerate. She brought me multiple sizes since they didn't half sizes so I could try it on. The food we had at the restaurant was great as well.
September 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by MiggyFab GENUINELY, My Desire for My Mother, Father and Folks
Upon Checking-In, I was patiently waiting for another customer to be served, appropriately. But, within 30-seconds or so, still with other customer, I was greeted with "Good Afternoon, Sir. I'll be done in just a couple of minutes with ..."(while his current customer was still writing something, anyway).
That was instantly, genuinely and desirably, a source of PLEASURE I acquired. It's not just on WHAT Was Said, but dearly, I focus on HOW it was said.
On that same evening, I returned from a wedding event I participated at Hatley Castle. I walked onto elevator, but surprisingly, the same Front Desk Clerk greeted me (matched with excellent memory of my SURNAME).
He was then with another customer and expressed(while me just onto elevator), "Hello Mr Fabregas. I hope you had a great time. Anything required, I'm here for you, Sir..."
Anyway, briefly but deeply, other than that, others' Service Condition was Genuinely Excellent, as well -- 100%
August 25, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by August2015 Great in the past but disappointed with recent stay
We visit this hotel couple of times a year since 2009 as we enjoy the golf courses, but this past visit was disappointing for the following reasons:
1. The bed in the suite was very hard and uncomfortable and caused my back to hurt for the 1-week duration of our stay. This bed felt very different than the typical Westin beds.
2. During our first night of the stay, the bedding smelled bad and I assumed that housekeeping would change the sheets and pillow cases the next day but they did not get changed so I spoke to housekeeping about the issue.
3. When we returned to the room that afternoon, the sheets had been changed but the dirty towels were still on the floor and the sofa bed was left unmade. I had to call housekeeping to replace the towels.
4. On the third night of our stay, there was quite a bit of loud noise (similar to that of a washing machine with a heavy bumpy load) coming from a nearby location around 9pm. Not sure what to make of it, but it was certainly not very relaxing.
We enjoyed visiting Westin at Bear Mountain in the past but this trip was certainly disappointing to return home with a sore back from our vacation. Now, I'll make sure to ask that clean sheets and pillow cases by changed before we use the bed as I can't be sure the hotel automatically change the sheets when the previous guest(s) checks out of the room.
August 24, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by Disappointed698 This hotel needs new management and renovations
A brief list::
Trying to sleep on the sofa bed was impossible it felt like a rack. We placed the cushions of the sofa on top of the bed in order not to fell the springs of the mattress. Regardless of our attempts to make the bed more comfortable, it was very difficult to get any sleep;
The shower head kept dripping;
Could not find hotel information booklet in room;
When I asked to phone my room to speak with my wife I was sent from the golf cart area to the pro shop then to the front desk then to the bell boy station out front then to the information desk by the front desk where they found someone to dial the room number and pass me the phone. In all it took 5 steps to simply call my wife in our room;
The grounds need around the hotel need attention;
There was a large ceramic ball stuck in one of the putting green holes when we arrived and it was still there when we left 3 days latter; and
The driving range tee area needed attention as well as the valley course.
The last time we stayed here, just eight months ago, it did not seem as bad. It could be that lack of sleep that first night made us look at the property a little more critically. We enjoy short getaways close to town however this trip was a disappointment. We hope that in the future we can enjoy a more pleasant stay in your hotel.
August 24, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by Murph69 18$ dollar a day resort fee/cash grab
I checked in Sunday night at midnight and they charged me 18$ resort fee for that day! When I asked at the front desk I was told that it's my fault for arriving late and it's their policy to charge for every night. The guy at the front desk was rude and offered nothing to resolve my concerns. Not consistent with the image Bear Mountain is trying to portray.
July 9, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by DaveWR Great Stay
My wife and I and another couple friends originally stayed at the resort in 2011 and returned earlier this week for 3 nights. This trip, we noticed a marked improvement in customer service. Every staff member we dealt with was excellent from the front desk to housekeeping to the golf shop to food and beverage.
We ate twice in the Masters Lounge and the food was great.
If you have not played either of the two golf courses, I would highly recommend, although they are quite challenging.
Hats off to the management team at the resort as they are certainly doing a great job!.
June 12, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by lindalucia Hotel was great; SPG wasn't.
The Westin was fabulous. What wasn't however was the online booking. We loved it so much we decided to come back for an extended stay. I went online and booked a suite and rec'd a room rate of $209 per night, but the very last prompt to book kept telling me "reservations temporarily unavailable'. I called the help line to make the reservation manually but all SPG could give me was a room rate of $289 or $412. I had already spent 2 hours over 2 days getting the same room rate of $209, but SPG would not honour it. I've often booked online and became extremely frustrated that I want to give these people our money and stay at the Westin for a week, but I don't relish paying an extra $200 per night simply because they can't duplicate my web page. Incidentally, the rate of $206 per night came up each and every time I closed my browser pver 2 days, so it wasn't a fluke. We've decided to stay elsewhere and burn our SPG card. It simply is not worth the time and effort to get so frustrated in trying to give Westin a loyal customer.
June 6, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Steve197 Setting
This hotel is beautifully situated and operated,
June 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by RCD1960 Absolutely Fab
We came in on SPG points and were treated like we paid full price for a VIP experience. Fantastic property, in fantastic condition with staff that are unmatched. Hope you get a chance to enjoy this resort.
May 31, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Marion5 Resort Hotel
The Westin on Bear Mountain is very much a complete resort hotel and was a pleasure to experience.
As I attended a wedding, the experience was even more enhanced, and the setting was perfect.
May 24, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Sweetmarie59 This hotel surpasses all expectation !
The hotel is beautiful . The rooms are beautiful , comfortable and very clean .
The garden flowers are gorgeous .
Staff is very conscientious and very helpful .
The restaraunts are not only very inviting with the fireplaces and beautifully set tables the food is delicious !
Overall this hotel has it all , as close to perfection as I have seen .
April 29, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Sprouty Good, but not great
We stayed at the Westin Bear Mountain Resort for 2 nights at the beginning of March 2015, and had a mixed experience. The resort is well laid out, has great, but pricey food choices, and has a professional golf course and spa services. However, there were 2 glaring issues. Firstly, the golf course is too expensive for the amenities offered. Considering it's off-season and the course was under some repair, it was not worth the price paid. Secondly, and most disappointing, was the front desk customer service. Both agents, upon check-in and check-out, seemed to view us as an inconvenience. As platinum members, the elite level benefits were lacking or not offered. It's disappointing that platinum members pay the resort fee, which is $20 per night here, since it covers many amenities that are included at the platinum membership level.
March 17, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by KatLin Amazing experience
Our stay for the week was excellent, it was everything we were looking for: great location, great rooms and exceptional staff. Thank you!
January 25, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by SPGjunkieZH Nice
- Upgrade to a nice suite
- Nice kitchenette (fridge, freezer, oven, microwave, dish washer and cooking equipment)
- very quiet rooms / facilities
- complimentary continental breakfast (22 CAD credit for a couple) without coffee, orange juice, taxes (it includes only 1 Croissant + 1 muffin) ... So for a complete hot breakfast you have to expect additional costs. It is much better elsewhere (e.g. the Four Points Victoria provides hot breakfast). And you have to pay taxes in addition anyway (22.00 + 1.10 = 23.10).
- Wifi: upload 2.40 Mbps / download 1.82 Mbps (1 breakdown at 0:30 am for a couple of minutes)
- resort fee includes only SPG Platinum amenities (except golf amenities)
- TV: some channels fuzzy (ca. 20 out of 50)
- SPA / fitness area in separate building: You have to go outside (no underground access /path)
November 27, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Bruce70 Not A Good Experience
I have stayed at many Starwood properties, and this one certainly was disappointing. I findi it difficult to call it a "resort". Here are the problems we encountered during our stay:
1. When we arrived, there was a power outage. While not the fault of the hotel, the lighting in the garage and stairwell was inadequate and created a dangerous condition. The pool was also closed because of the power outage, which did not make sense. The staff wsa completely disoriented.
2. I had called ahead of time to inquire as to the complimentary bike use, and I was assured that free bikes were included with the room. When my family of four attempted to go for a ride on the first morning, we received varying information about the number of bikes available, how to reserve them, whether they could be reserved, and whether there were two bikes for my 10 and 7 year-old children. When we arrived at the valet's station (they were responsible for the bikes), my wife's bike was broken. I was given a bike that pedaled about six yards and then stuck in gear. My wife and I were given two different bikes, and half-way through the ride, one of the spoke's came out of place on my wife's second bike, caught in the chain, and nearly caused her to crash. This occurred while on the paved path. The kids and I took the bikes back, while my wife walked her bike behind. The valet was quite embarassed and told us that they were still working out the kinks with the bikes, that they did not have a designated repair person, and that the off-site repair person would arrive the following day.
3. The room was adequate, although, it had an odd layout and was sparsely decorated. The view was of the garbage dumpster across the street in back of the restaurant next door. I expected more as a SPG Gold member.
4. The room had a kitchenette, but we only had one fork, an odd number of plates, and an odd number of glasses. We had to call several times and actually talk with management about getting additional cutlery and tableware before the problem was resolved. It was not until our third day that we had an adequate supply despite repeated requests.
5. The room was very dusty when we arrived. We actually wrote "dust me" with a finger on the TV stand, and it was two days before it had been dusted off. We took a picture of it because we were in such disbelief. Our deck had a large, filtered cigarette butt sitting on it when we arrived, which was not removed, despite multiple requests, until about the fourth day of our stay. Additioanlly, housekeeping was inconsistent, coming early in the morning on some days, and not until almost 5:00 on others, which caused problems after arriving back to the room from a day out.
6. The walls were thin. An occupant next to us who was there for only one night, thank goodness, was so loud just talking that they woke our entire room up around 6:00 a.m. Apparently, they had travel arrangements and needed to get out of the room early.
7. I wanted to put my kids in private golf lessons as advertised on the website. When we went down to speak to the gentleman at the pro shop, he told us he was going out of town, there would be only one pro for the next couple days, and could not assure us that there would be anyone to give the lessons. Rather than get our name, he told us to check back the next day. I did check back, there was no one to give the private lessons, and we ended up enrolling our kids in one group lesson. The level of customer service was poor. The lack of availablity of golf services for a golf resort was shocking.
8. The front desk seemed overwhelmed and was not very helpful with regard to suggestions for eating out for obtaining additional services.
9. Finally, the food was average at best. We had two meals, one was a BBQ buffet, and the other was a sit down dinner. We actually had better dinner in town for half the price.
After spending a wonderful five days in Scottsdale at the resort there, with impeccable service and top-notch facilities, this experience was seriously lacking. Other than the newness of the faciliity and the nice pool, spa, and gym, we would not recommend this property.
October 8, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GTra This hotel has excellent facilities and rooms. The suites are wonderful.
This now our favourite hotel in Victoria, even though it is not seaside.
October 7, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by kokomo4 Great hotel and golf
Enjoyed my stay, fabulous room (huge!). Food was excellant as was service- would return anytime.
September 29, 2014