Rated 3 out of 5 by Bruce70 Not A Good Experience
I have stayed at many Starwood properties, and this one certainly was disappointing. I findi it difficult to call it a "resort". Here are the problems we encountered during our stay:
1. When we arrived, there was a power outage. While not the fault of the hotel, the lighting in the garage and stairwell was inadequate and created a dangerous condition. The pool was also closed because of the power outage, which did not make sense. The staff wsa completely disoriented.
2. I had called ahead of time to inquire as to the complimentary bike use, and I was assured that free bikes were included with the room. When my family of four attempted to go for a ride on the first morning, we received varying information about the number of bikes available, how to reserve them, whether they could be reserved, and whether there were two bikes for my 10 and 7 year-old children. When we arrived at the valet's station (they were responsible for the bikes), my wife's bike was broken. I was given a bike that pedaled about six yards and then stuck in gear. My wife and I were given two different bikes, and half-way through the ride, one of the spoke's came out of place on my wife's second bike, caught in the chain, and nearly caused her to crash. This occurred while on the paved path. The kids and I took the bikes back, while my wife walked her bike behind. The valet was quite embarassed and told us that they were still working out the kinks with the bikes, that they did not have a designated repair person, and that the off-site repair person would arrive the following day.
3. The room was adequate, although, it had an odd layout and was sparsely decorated. The view was of the garbage dumpster across the street in back of the restaurant next door. I expected more as a SPG Gold member.
4. The room had a kitchenette, but we only had one fork, an odd number of plates, and an odd number of glasses. We had to call several times and actually talk with management about getting additional cutlery and tableware before the problem was resolved. It was not until our third day that we had an adequate supply despite repeated requests.
5. The room was very dusty when we arrived. We actually wrote "dust me" with a finger on the TV stand, and it was two days before it had been dusted off. We took a picture of it because we were in such disbelief. Our deck had a large, filtered cigarette butt sitting on it when we arrived, which was not removed, despite multiple requests, until about the fourth day of our stay. Additioanlly, housekeeping was inconsistent, coming early in the morning on some days, and not until almost 5:00 on others, which caused problems after arriving back to the room from a day out.
6. The walls were thin. An occupant next to us who was there for only one night, thank goodness, was so loud just talking that they woke our entire room up around 6:00 a.m. Apparently, they had travel arrangements and needed to get out of the room early.
7. I wanted to put my kids in private golf lessons as advertised on the website. When we went down to speak to the gentleman at the pro shop, he told us he was going out of town, there would be only one pro for the next couple days, and could not assure us that there would be anyone to give the lessons. Rather than get our name, he told us to check back the next day. I did check back, there was no one to give the private lessons, and we ended up enrolling our kids in one group lesson. The level of customer service was poor. The lack of availablity of golf services for a golf resort was shocking.
8. The front desk seemed overwhelmed and was not very helpful with regard to suggestions for eating out for obtaining additional services.
9. Finally, the food was average at best. We had two meals, one was a BBQ buffet, and the other was a sit down dinner. We actually had better dinner in town for half the price.
After spending a wonderful five days in Scottsdale at the resort there, with impeccable service and top-notch facilities, this experience was seriously lacking. Other than the newness of the faciliity and the nice pool, spa, and gym, we would not recommend this property.
October 8, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GTra This hotel has excellent facilities and rooms. The suites are wonderful.
This now our favourite hotel in Victoria, even though it is not seaside.
October 7, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by kokomo4 Great hotel and golf
Enjoyed my stay, fabulous room (huge!). Food was excellant as was service- would return anytime.
September 29, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by BCTraveler14 Thought I was in a Frat House
Hotel was complete chaos. Staff was courteous but overwhelmed. Waits were too long. Room was noisy. Fairway view consisted of a sliver of a fairway and a ton of concrete showing the tennis court. A complete waste and a horrible night.
September 15, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Estella29 Huge and Comfy room
We stayed here for 3 nites while in Victoria. We had a traditional room in the main building and was just directly above the clubhouse restaurant. The room is huge for a hotel room standard and we like the hugh balcony where we can sit and relax after our day's golf or outing. This place might be a bit far for those who are not golfing here and unless you wish to eat at the estate here, you will have to travelled out at least 20 mins to have your meals. But for golfers like us, this place is just perfect to be based for our golf and outings to Butchart gardens, etc. This accommodation would be perfect for us except that they don't have a insuite washer/dryer for our laundry needs. All in all, a very pleasant stay. Thank you.
September 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DScottF World Class Golf
Great golf and stunning scenery. Very courteous and accomodating.
August 30, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Huskies2014 Love the Westin Experience
Room 539 was nice. Not too excited about "sharing" the balcony. Awesome view. Could not turn on heat light & vent in bathroom. Informed FD as we were checking out. Went in for Lobster Dinner ($35) Special. Lobster not quality. Cheesecake was frozen. Difficult to eat with dignity. Had a meal in the bar on the balcony. My wife and I both ordered Lemon Drops. Not good. Ordered a glass of wine instead. Server removed from bill. My wife ordered the salmon...awesome. I had the half nachos. Ordered no "Peppers" & with beef. Came with a ton of spicy peppers and very little ground beef & cheese. Enough chips for 3 people. Enough peppers for 3-4 people. Asked for no peppers at all. I left 80% of the chips. Nothing on them. Server handled it all very gracefully. No charge for the nacho dish.
I worked for the Seattle Westin for 2 years (30 years ago). I loved my 2 years with the company. That's one reason why I chose the Westin Bear Mountain for our short getaway. Will be back. Great staff. Recommend bringing in a Mystery Shopper for F&B food quality. FOH was awesome.
August 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Cheddar48 Great facility
Our stay and play package was wonderful. We golfed both the Mountain and Valley courses. Incredible staff. Even when we were late for our second tee time they got us off right away. The only complaint was that during our first round Mountain Side we experienced an incredible wait at the first five tee boxes on the back nine. we were 15 minutes behind schedule.
August 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by 1carmen outstanding and incomparable experience
Our stay was absolutely great, we look forward to returning and sharing our experience with friends.
August 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Naga Room
Room was congested with furniture two persons hard to move around.
We were very surprised that you had NO contingency plan whatsoever when the power went off for hours. Lack of preparedness.
We would also strongly suggest family pool with children otherwise it was very noisy and pool crowded
August 19, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by dsnow NO late check outs here.
My wife and I came to this property at the end of a long weekend - her for R&R and me for business on the last day. We asked for a late check out when we made the reservation, we reminded them upon the check-in and on the day we needed it we were ultimately told NO late checkout - only to Platinum members! The primary reason being that they were full and they needed our room - really?! There were no cars in the parking lot, it was the day after the long weekend (the place was empty) and you could easily get any room type on-line (I checked that day) - so where are all these people coming from that prevented you from fulfilling a simple request of a 2 hour late check out?? Was it because our status wasn't high enough??
Also if you are going to this property for the pool be advised that their pool and fitness facility are really a community centre which means that anyone and their family in the neighbourhood can pay a drop in fee to use the pool facilities and you are forced to wear a pink wrist band to prove that you belong there - very tacky for a 4 diamond resort?! It also means you are fighting with all the neighbourhood families for a spot/chair around the pool to lounge not to mention the dozens of kids in the pool making it impossible to enjoy the pool at all.
The Fairways building we were in was very nice and modern (couldn't be more than 2 years old?) with nice spacious rooms however the elevators were in a state of disrepair (noisy and jumpy) and after hours access didn't work half the time? A big failure for Operations and Maintenance. When I discussed all of my displeasures with the front office manager she simply stated "well perhaps this isn't the property for you". Well you are right about that and I suspect that it's not the property for anyone wanting to relax by the pool or do some business in Victoria. You'll be pleased to know that we will not be coming back to this property. Too bad because the views and the F&B were excellent.
It is important to note for anyone reading this far (and cares at all?) that we could have got past all of the negatives (every property has them) if it wasn't for the treatment we received at the end of our stay - namely the handling of the late check out request. I normally never write negative comments about a stay but this one left a bad taste in my mouth - I hate being lied to. Now that I have taken the time to write this out I will be posting this review to other industry related websites.
August 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Gateway Tranquil
A beautiful hotel / location . Easily within reach of downtown Victoria .
August 10, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by LDmD Urban/Suburban Escape
Beautiful location minutes away from the city
August 9, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by TandG Great Hotel and Setting
We had a wonderful vacation. Loved the room, restaurant and the hiking trails. We spent many hours exploring Mt Finlayson and the surrounding areas. The only drawback was having to phone more than once when services were requested. This happened on several occasions. Also, the rooms were tidied but not really cleaned. When they cleaned the rooms the floors were not swept or vacuumed and not all toiletry items were replenished. Over a 10 day stay this became more that a little frustrating.
August 6, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by PD1967 Very nice facility
My wife and I enjoyed our stay. We very much enjoyed the facility, room was spacious and comfortable. The golf course view was nice as the balcony was huge.
Food was excellent in the restaurant.
Staff was very helpful.
Reception on the in room television was not great and we made that comment when we checked out.
Overall very nice place. New owners have plans moving forward and we look forward to going back.
August 5, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by JackNicklaus2014 Pull out sofa was a bed of nails
Unfortunately the first night there were no cots available. Until you replace all the grossly inadequate sofa beds, please insure a sufficient supply of additional cots are available especially on holiday weekends. We were embarrassed our guest had such an uncomfortable night.
Superb golf and backyard hiking in Goldstream Park and up Mt Finlayson
August 5, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by AKI55 Some great, some not as great.
Amazing view and extremely helpful staff. Great accommodations and stunning golf. We had some difficulties that were not greatly addressed (could not get into our suite due to maintenance issue) that resulted in us waiting in the hallway for about an hour. When we did finally get moved to a different suite the dishwasher was left completely full of dishes which is not what you look forward to when arriving from a pretty long travel day. The property was great, pool really good and staff very helpful and friendly. The food was just okay for the price to eat on the property which was a bit disappointing although having breakfast on the patio overlooking the mountains and golf course was incredible. We will definitely stay there again, but just a few hiccups.
August 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by PapaBoo Excellent Facilities
I just recently stayed at Bear Mountain during the long weekend for a golf tournament. I found the resort to be impressive in all its amenities, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice and the golf course was in excellent shape.
August 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Stephen88 Good service, excellent golf courses
This hotel is located right on two 18 holes champioship golf courses, which make it very desirable for a short golf trip with friends. The rooms are huge and very comfortable. Service and foods in the reataurant are great as well.
August 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dougiea Great Stay
The Westin Bear Mtn is a great place to get-away. The hotel is beautifully kept, the staff are great and we can't wait until we come back for another visit. Thanks.
July 28, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by KUZKUZ Very Comfortable
Had a nice stay at Bear Mountain…. First time staying...Room was very clean, comfortable and roomy. Was going to be our last visit to Victoria due to high ferry rates but had such a nice time we plan on coming back …Usually stay downtown but really enjoyed the "resort" getaway atmosphere at Bear Mountain...
July 25, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by bigoak Golf Course
The golf course was disapointing yet nice.
The views are spectacular on the Mountain Course. The quanity of goose droppings on greens,teeboxes and fairways are unacceptable.
July 25, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Business62 Business traveller
I was at the Hotel for business meetings. The Penthouse suite was beautiful, and the service from the Hotel Staff, when requested was excellent. I would say the Hotel restaurant was VERY disappointing. The service was EXTREMELY slow and unfriendly during our Company dinner. After this experince on the first of 4 days on staying at the Hotel I avoided their restaurant completely. The out door hot tub was also very old and needs updating.
July 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Ben99 Excellent place to stay!
Located on top of everything else though just minutes to places you want to be. We stayed in a well appointed room. Spacious room with modern updated furniture. Kitchen & bathroom very clean. Very calm backyard. Trees everywhere. Trails to the mountain top if you choose to do it any time of the day. Of course, a well maintained golf course. Friendly staff.
July 22, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by AndyG Great Golf and Patio
Both golf courses at Bear Mountain are spectacular and offer great views. Food and beverage service in the lounge and on the patio is a great way to round off the day!
July 21, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by socalbob Everything was excellent
Everything was excellent except for the wake up calls..Two wake up calls were not made at all and one was 20 minutes late.This was frustrating due to our early tee times.We called to inform the office but it didnt seem to change anything..But aside from this inconvenience,it was a fantastic hotel and experience ..
July 20, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Leanne0831 Hotel had great service and features
We found our room to be very comfortable, the service and attention we received throughout the resort was great!!
July 18, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Tommy2014 Gift Shop
The hotel is grand the service is superb a small gift shop to be able to purchase personal items would be a nice addition.
July 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Luvtogolf1 Totally the best all round resort!
We make a point of staying at the Westin Bear Mountain at least once a year. We are avid golfers and love great food, not to mention the luxurious appointed rooms. After a couples of days we return home feeling refreshed and contented!
July 15, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by cathy5460 Stunning Lobby and View, Good facitilities
A great local resort getaway.
Facilities and Lobby Decor B+/A
Room size average, and room decor above average.
Noise/music from ballroom heard in our 5th floor room till the wee hours.
Smokers on balcony beside our room, smoke smell filtered into our room.
Dinner in Italian restaurant outside deck - lovely. Waitress very helpful, informative and personable. An A+ for dinner service and food.
Buffett Brunch Sunday - understaffed. Once seated, waited 25 minutes for a server to come by after we had complained to the hostess that we had not seen wait staff since being seated. Once coffee, drink orders were taken we were not served until well after we had been to the buffet at least twice each and had finished our meal.
All in all, yes we will be returning to Bear Mountain. With a few stipulations as to room location.
July 14, 2014