Le Méridien Chiang Rai Resort, Thailand
Powered by Foursquare
The resort occupies an idyllic 26-rai site directly on the banks of the Mae Kok River, moments from Chiang Rai town and a one hour drive from the Golden Triangle where the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar converge. The resort is set at the heart of beautiful landscaped gardens complete with a tranquil man-made lake and two majestic 100-year-old rain trees. Surrounded by magnificent mountain scenery, the neighbouring community is a jewel waiting to be explored. Nearby attractions include Rai Mae Fah Luang, Le Méridien's chosen UnLock Art site, and Oub Kham Museum which houses a collection of objects from the ancient Lanna kingdom, Myanmar, southwest China, and Vietnam. Nearby attractions include Wat Phra Kaew, the temple that once housed the Emerald Buddha, and the Hill Tribe Education Centre with its fascinating display of tribal artefacts and handicrafts. Boat trips along the Mae Kong River are available from the town of Chiang Khong, with stops along the way at villages of interest. Ethnic groups living in the province include Karen, Lisu, Lahu, Akha, Meo, and Yao, and it is possible to arrange treks into the hill tribe villages with experienced local guides.
Mae Sai is 62 kilometres north of Chiang Rai and makes for an interesting day trip. This busy trading post borders Myanmar, and it is possible to cross the bridge to visit the bustling market in Tha Khi Lek. Phu Chi Fa is a spectacular viewpoint. The impressive views are best enjoyed early in the morning, particularly in the cool season when mist covers the valley floor.
A highlight to any trip to Chiang Rai is a visit to the Doi Tung Development Project. Started as a royal initiative to help eradicate opium supply, drug use, and rural poverty, the project offers villagers with a practical and sustainable alternative. The project focuses on development, education, training, humanitarian activities, environmental conservation, agriculture, and the production of quality crafts.
At the summit of Doi Tung, visitors can visit Phra That Doi Tung, a chedi constructed in 911 A.D and one of the oldest and most sacred sites in northern Thailand. The chedi is said to contain the collarbone of Buddha.
Le Méridien Chiang Rai Resort, Thailand is located close to the town centre and a short drive from Chiang Rai Airport.
View Local Area Map
Local Area Recommendations Powered By Foursquare
Chivit Thamma Da Coffee House-
Chivit Thamma Da Coffee House-
Major Cineplex Chiang Rai (เมเจอร์ ซีนีเพล็กซ์ เชียงราย)-
Pa-La-Mer (พา-ลา-เมอ) Coffee&Gallery Bar Est. 2012-
Arts & Culture
- Hill Tribe Museum 10.0 km/6.2 miles
- Black House Museum "Baan Dam" 15.0 km/9.3 miles
- Khun Kon Waterfall 30.0 km/18.6 miles
- The Hall of Opium 60.0 km/37.3 miles
- Phu Chee Fah 108.0 km/67.1 miles
- Wat Klang Wiang 4.0 km/2.5 miles
- Kasemrad Sriburin Hospital 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Wat Phra Kaeo 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Overbrook Hospital 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Chiang Rai Rajabhat University 8.0 km/5.0 miles
- Chiang Rai Regional Hospital 10.0 km/6.2 miles
- Wat Rong Khun 15.0 km/9.3 miles
- Mae Fah Luang University 20.0 km/12.4 miles
- Wat Phra That Doi Tung 50.0 km/31.1 miles
- Doi Tung 50.0 km/31.1 miles
- Santiburi Country Club Chiang Rai 12.0 km/7.5 miles
- Waterford Valley Golf Course 45.0 km/28.0 miles
- King Meng Rai Monument 2.0 km/1.2 miles
- Golden Triangle 60.0 km/37.3 miles
- Chiang Saen 60.0 km/37.3 miles
- Doi Mae Salong 80.0 km/49.7 miles
- Chiang Khong 114.0 km/70.8 miles
- Night Market 3.0 km/1.9 miles
- Mae Sai 60.0 km/37.3 miles