Hotel Cala di Volpe sits on a spectacular 55-kilometer stretch of Sardinian coastline known as Costa Smeralda—or “Emerald Coast”—due to the deep green colour of the Mediterranean sea. Dramatic rock formations—windswept into sculptural reliefs by the Mistral—are as characteristic of the area’s astonishing beauty as the fragrance of laurel, oleander, and juniper carried on the ocean breeze. The meandering coast forms hidden inlets of aqua blue water perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving. Open from April through October of each year, the resort enjoys endless sunshine and balmy temperatures from 20 to 27 degrees Celsius, while the ocean warms to an ideal 23 degrees Celsius.
The Luxury Collection Concierge recommends the following as unique places and activities in the local area:
La Maddalena Islands—Take a motor boat to this famed archipelago, with its enchanting coves of “Manto della Vergine”—crystal clear water—and pristine white sand beaches. Explore the lovely islands of Caprera, Budelli, Spargi, La Maddalena, and Santa Maria along the way.
Water Sports—The Costa Smeralda is a water sport and boating paradise. Allow us to organize sailing trips, windsurfing, snorkeling, and scuba diving all along our coastline. Boats—ranging from simple dinghies to elaborate motor yachts—may be rented for the day.
San Pantaleo—Visit the open-air market, held every Thursday in the charming church square of this traditional Sardinian village. Musicians play in the shade of pink and red oleander trees, while local artisans and farmers offer a colourful display of crafts and produce.
Nuraghi Stone Structures—Appealing to history enthusiasts, these massive Bronze Age shelters of symmetrically laid stones offer a fascinating glimpse into the legacy of the Nuraghi—Sardinia’s ancient indigenous people. Tours may be arranged to the most prominent structures scattered across the island.
Porto Cervo—Truly Mediterranean in spirit, this idyllic port town of graceful archways, pastel-hued homes and flowering cascades of bougainvillea is a shopper’s dream, where international designers easily mix with locally crafted ceramics, textiles, and jewellery. At night, Europe’s glitterati mingles in the chic outdoor cafés or dances into the early morning hours at one of the many glamorous nightclubs.
• Languages: Italian is the official language. English, French, German, and Spanish are also spoken.
• Currency: Euro.
• Seasonality: Resort open from April until October.
View Local Area Map
Arts & Culture
- Nuraghi (Sardinian Prehistoric Monuments) 15.0 km/9.3 miles
- Pevero Golf Club 2.0 km/1.2 miles
- Porto Cervo 10.0 km/6.2 miles
- Porto Rotondo 16.0 km/9.9 miles
- Maddalena and Caprera Islands 19.0 km/11.8 miles
- Corsica 80.0 km/49.7 miles
- Cagliari 321.9 km/200.0 miles
- Private Beach 0.5 km/0.3 miles
- Cervo Tennis Club 8.0 km/5.0 miles
- Shopping 6.0 km/3.7 miles
- OLB - Costa Smeralda Airport/Olbia 33.8 km/21.0 miles
- AHO - Fertilia/Alghero Airport 149.7 km/93.0 miles
- CAG - Elmas Airport/Cagliari 331.5 km/206.0 miles