The Equinox, a Luxury Collection Golf Resort & Spa, Vermont
Культурно-историческая ценность отеля
The roots of today's 2,300-acre The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa date back to 1769, when the town of Manchester was just shy of a decade old. The original structure, one of Manchester’s first lodgings, was a wooden, two-story building called the Marsh Tavern.
The Marsh Tavern quickly became a popular gathering spot for locals, many of whom would become memorable figures during the Revolution, including the legendary "Green Mountain Boys". The Marsh Tavern was also the first Tory property seized by revolutionaries to support their war efforts. Today, this building serves as one of the resort’s most popular restaurants.
The name "Equinox" first emerged in 1853, when owner Franklin Orvis opened his own hotel, the "Equinox House," in his father's home next door to the Marsh Tavern. The hotel's reputation as a premier summer resort was solidified in 1863, when Mrs. Abraham Lincoln and her two sons vacationed there.
Throughout the following three decades and three ownerships, the Equinox continued to thrive. The resort was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Two years later, The Galesi Group embarked on an extensive $20 million restoration, reopening to year-round vacationers in 1985. In April 1991 the property was purchased by Equinox Resort Associates, and The Equinox began an ambitious revitalization program designed to make it the number one resort destination in the Northeast. In the fall of 2002, renovations continued with the addition of the Rockwell Room, a state-of-the-art multi-function meeting space and, in January 2003, The Spa at the Equinox was completed.
In March 2007, HEI Hotels & Resorts acquired the historic property and another multi-million dollar refurbishment of the resort commenced. Most recently, HEI Hotels & Resorts acquired the 1811 House, a historic bed and breakfast in Manchester Village, VT. Located across from the main hotel building overlooking the Golf Club at the Equinox, the 1811 House is the former home of Abraham Lincoln’s granddaughter.