Rated 4 out of 5 by JackNicklaus2014 Pull out sofa was a bed of nails
Unfortunately the first night there were no cots available. Until you replace all the grossly inadequate sofa beds, please insure a sufficient supply of additional cots are available especially on holiday weekends. We were embarrassed our guest had such an uncomfortable night.
Superb golf and backyard hiking in Goldstream Park and up Mt Finlayson
August 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by james55 what a view
We had a room overlooking the first tee of the mountain course and the mountain. We watched people hike up and down the mountain while we enjoyed our wine on the balcony. It was a great stay in Victoria with the only problem being it was too short. You need more than 2 nights to get the most out of the resort and area. We only played golf on the Mountain course 1 time and we want to play it again and the other course as well.
August 27, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Bruce70 Not A Good Experience
I have stayed at many Starwood properties, and this one certainly was disappointing. I findi it difficult to call it a "resort". Here are the problems we encountered during our stay:
1. When we arrived, there was a power outage. While not the fault of the hotel, the lighting in the garage and stairwell was inadequate and created a dangerous condition. The pool was also closed because of the power outage, which did not make sense. The staff wsa completely disoriented.
2. I had called ahead of time to inquire as to the complimentary bike use, and I was assured that free bikes were included with the room. When my family of four attempted to go for a ride on the first morning, we received varying information about the number of bikes available, how to reserve them, whether they could be reserved, and whether there were two bikes for my 10 and 7 year-old children. When we arrived at the valet's station (they were responsible for the bikes), my wife's bike was broken. I was given a bike that pedaled about six yards and then stuck in gear. My wife and I were given two different bikes, and half-way through the ride, one of the spoke's came out of place on my wife's second bike, caught in the chain, and nearly caused her to crash. This occurred while on the paved path. The kids and I took the bikes back, while my wife walked her bike behind. The valet was quite embarassed and told us that they were still working out the kinks with the bikes, that they did not have a designated repair person, and that the off-site repair person would arrive the following day.
3. The room was adequate, although, it had an odd layout and was sparsely decorated. The view was of the garbage dumpster across the street in back of the restaurant next door. I expected more as a SPG Gold member.
4. The room had a kitchenette, but we only had one fork, an odd number of plates, and an odd number of glasses. We had to call several times and actually talk with management about getting additional cutlery and tableware before the problem was resolved. It was not until our third day that we had an adequate supply despite repeated requests.
5. The room was very dusty when we arrived. We actually wrote "dust me" with a finger on the TV stand, and it was two days before it had been dusted off. We took a picture of it because we were in such disbelief. Our deck had a large, filtered cigarette butt sitting on it when we arrived, which was not removed, despite multiple requests, until about the fourth day of our stay. Additioanlly, housekeeping was inconsistent, coming early in the morning on some days, and not until almost 5:00 on others, which caused problems after arriving back to the room from a day out.
6. The walls were thin. An occupant next to us who was there for only one night, thank goodness, was so loud just talking that they woke our entire room up around 6:00 a.m. Apparently, they had travel arrangements and needed to get out of the room early.
7. I wanted to put my kids in private golf lessons as advertised on the website. When we went down to speak to the gentleman at the pro shop, he told us he was going out of town, there would be only one pro for the next couple days, and could not assure us that there would be anyone to give the lessons. Rather than get our name, he told us to check back the next day. I did check back, there was no one to give the private lessons, and we ended up enrolling our kids in one group lesson. The level of customer service was poor. The lack of availablity of golf services for a golf resort was shocking.
8. The front desk seemed overwhelmed and was not very helpful with regard to suggestions for eating out for obtaining additional services.
9. Finally, the food was average at best. We had two meals, one was a BBQ buffet, and the other was a sit down dinner. We actually had better dinner in town for half the price.
After spending a wonderful five days in Scottsdale at the resort there, with impeccable service and top-notch facilities, this experience was seriously lacking. Other than the newness of the faciliity and the nice pool, spa, and gym, we would not recommend this property.
October 8, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Naga Room
Room was congested with furniture two persons hard to move around.
We were very surprised that you had NO contingency plan whatsoever when the power went off for hours. Lack of preparedness.
We would also strongly suggest family pool with children otherwise it was very noisy and pool crowded
August 19, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by mercury51 beds /pool
the king bed is the smallest king i have ever slept in , and the queen pull out sofa is so uncomfortable that my husband couldn't sleep.
also the only pool is accessible for the staff on their days off and if you are a family with children and try to go on a warm sunny day… good luck trying to find somewhere to lounge and enjoy what your $$$ includes… it is basically a meat market for the 20 somethings.
June 3, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by beeper Played golf and wanted to see if things were different under new ownership
We have been to this property many times. We saw a great attitude and optimism with the staff now that there is a new owner. New beds were coming into the adjacent area where we stayed because our standard poodle was with us and that is the dog stay area. The golf staff was very nice because the weather was windy, chilly and it rained on and off throughout the day, but we decided to play anyway, but later than our scheduled tee time. Wanted to have dinner, but were not told to make reservations when we arrived, and it was sold out. Recommendation: Have staff tell guests to reserve at restaurants when they check in. Changes bring made at golf course, and maintenance is 100 % improved. Thankful for new ownership who are smart business people. Plan to come back several times during the summer. Read there will be big improvements to pool, and a new family fun area. Sounds smart.
April 26, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Ben99 Excellent place to stay!
Located on top of everything else though just minutes to places you want to be. We stayed in a well appointed room. Spacious room with modern updated furniture. Kitchen & bathroom very clean. Very calm backyard. Trees everywhere. Trails to the mountain top if you choose to do it any time of the day. Of course, a well maintained golf course. Friendly staff.
July 22, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Huskies2014 Love the Westin Experience
Room 539 was nice. Not too excited about "sharing" the balcony. Awesome view. Could not turn on heat light & vent in bathroom. Informed FD as we were checking out. Went in for Lobster Dinner ($35) Special. Lobster not quality. Cheesecake was frozen. Difficult to eat with dignity. Had a meal in the bar on the balcony. My wife and I both ordered Lemon Drops. Not good. Ordered a glass of wine instead. Server removed from bill. My wife ordered the salmon...awesome. I had the half nachos. Ordered no "Peppers" & with beef. Came with a ton of spicy peppers and very little ground beef & cheese. Enough chips for 3 people. Enough peppers for 3-4 people. Asked for no peppers at all. I left 80% of the chips. Nothing on them. Server handled it all very gracefully. No charge for the nacho dish.
I worked for the Seattle Westin for 2 years (30 years ago). I loved my 2 years with the company. That's one reason why I chose the Westin Bear Mountain for our short getaway. Will be back. Great staff. Recommend bringing in a Mystery Shopper for F&B food quality. FOH was awesome.
August 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Stephen88 This is a great golf resort
This hotel is located right on the golf courses, which makes it very convenient to just drop off and pick up the golf bags at the front entrance when checking in and after checking out. Golf bags will be ready on the power carts when your game starts.
Both the Mountain Course and Valley Course are very challenging with beautifully layout. The hotel itself has very hugh sized room with balcony and kitchenwares.
April 1, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by horton Christmas at Bear Mtn
Winter or summer this hotel has great facilities and is situated in a beautiful location. We were so impressed with the staff and special attention we received. The front desk staff was particularly helpful when one of our daughters checked in and found her credit card had been compromised. Our family loved the facilities, gym & pool and especially the cleanliness of the rooms & public areas. We will be back!
December 29, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by LadyAnt74 BLISS
I would like to thank Francis and the whole Westin team for making our stay at Bear Mountain last week an unforgettable one. The service was outstanding, the grounds were beautiful, the rooms were well maintained and the staff were professional and very helpful. The whole team had amazing time and had so many generous things to say. My family and I will definitely be returning in the summer for some R&R!
March 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Ryukus Spectular stay @ Westin Bear Mountain
Although, it's not located in the center of tourist attraction, the Westin Bear Mountain is well worth the visit. It's located in a gorgeous golf course/resort and it's very new. It has great view of the golf course with pine trees standing in the background. Staffs are very polite & courteous. As Plat member, i received my upgrades 1 week prior to our arrival. Thank you!!! Restaurant food is also superb!!
August 20, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jim847 Staff extremely helpful
I found the hotel and golf staff to be extremely helpful. This included Saturday night when my wife had a medical emergency. Your valet on staff who is also a paramedic was very helpful as we tried to determine the best course of action. As guests from USA we were not familiar with your medical procedures, but he and the front desk staff quickly helped us in our hour of need. Thank you to all involved!
August 20, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jay13324 Great Golf!
To be at such a great hotel was a real treat! Combine it with two fantastic golf courses and this is a great place for a vacation. Room was perfect - having a suite with a kitchen was a bonus. Staff went out of their way to be accomodating, especially in the golf shop. My only quibble would be the food could be a bit better - some choices real good and some a bit flat. Close enough to Victoria, too!
July 25, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Jersica Beautiful Views
We stayed here for the second time in a few years. It's a beautiful hotel, but only if you get a room with a golf/mountain view. Otherwise you overlook a noisy valet/waterfall and half constructed buildings. We originally reserved a golf course view, but upon seeing we were using our SPG points, the hotel staff moved us across the hall to a lesser view. We were unsuccessful with our request for them to honor our booking, stating it was not possible because it was a different rate and could not be booked and the hotel was overbooked. They did move us on the second night to a 1 bedroom suite, but still there was no view. It was very disappointing. The hotel has a great lounge and breakfast was good. I would skip the Sunday night pasta buffet though. It wasn't worth it. The pool is completely unapproachable. It is full of neighborhood families and children all day long. You can't get near it.
July 23, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by KUZKUZ Very Comfortable
Had a nice stay at Bear Mountain…. First time staying...Room was very clean, comfortable and roomy. Was going to be our last visit to Victoria due to high ferry rates but had such a nice time we plan on coming back …Usually stay downtown but really enjoyed the "resort" getaway atmosphere at Bear Mountain...
July 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DONNA THIS HOTEL IS SIMPLY AN OASIS
My husband and I just spent 6 glorious days at the Westin Bear Mt. Resort, and it was one of the very best experiences we've had as owners with Starwood! The property Manager Francis is so accommodating, we were upgraded to a beautiful suite in the Clubhouse. The staff is so friendly and just can't do enough to make your stay memorable, and we plan to return for 2 weeks in September.
June 8, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by socalbob Everything was excellent
Everything was excellent except for the wake up calls..Two wake up calls were not made at all and one was 20 minutes late.This was frustrating due to our early tee times.We called to inform the office but it didnt seem to change anything..But aside from this inconvenience,it was a fantastic hotel and experience ..
July 20, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JiminSeattle Another exceptional stay
Bear Mountain is fantastic hotel with beautiful rooms and a wonderful staff. Got upgraded to a Clubhouse Suite so was like having an apartment. Room service food was very good and delivered fast. The bar was fun and the drinks superb. We will return here every time we go to Victoria. Is close to town but far enough away to have it all!!! Also ideal for heading to Butchart Gardens.
October 30, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by JG180 Enjoyed our stay.
We stood mesmerized on our balcony looking at the breathtaking scenery. I know that superlative [breathtaking] is used so much that it has become cliche. In this case it is correct.
Thanks to the front desk for their help and friendliness. I was especially with the valet/bellman who not only brought our suitcases bur also offered to get us some ice in the ice bucket for us.
October 7, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by PapaBoo Excellent Facilities
I just recently stayed at Bear Mountain during the long weekend for a golf tournament. I found the resort to be impressive in all its amenities, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice and the golf course was in excellent shape.
August 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DScottF World Class Golf
Great golf and stunning scenery. Very courteous and accomodating.
August 30, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by jsech staff and floor manager
The staff at the front counter for some reason was unable to follow instructions that had to be follow up on later, and the music from a conference went late into the night. But Emily, the floor manger, handle these situation with great taste and made up for the inconveniences. Her help made everything turn out great. and made it so that I would stay there again.
June 30, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by FamilyTravellerToo Family friendly
I have visited here a several times over the last few years. The rooms are very nice. As I have visited with a brother's family there are seven or eight of us and we try to book adjoining rooms. The staff has accommodated this request every time. With Platinum one of the rooms has always been upgraded to a suite. The children love the pool. We plan to return.
January 20, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Stephen88 Good service, excellent golf courses
This hotel is located right on two 18 holes champioship golf courses, which make it very desirable for a short golf trip with friends. The rooms are huge and very comfortable. Service and foods in the reataurant are great as well.
August 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Margo5 A quiet and enjoyable stay
I love this property and have stayed 3 times over the past 6 months. The staff our friendly, courteous and professional. I was particularly nicely greeted on my last stay. The food is fabulous. The rooms are quiet and have excellent black out drapes for those much needed sleep ins! Hi highly recommend this hotel.
June 24, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by 1carmen outstanding and incomparable experience
Our stay was absolutely great, we look forward to returning and sharing our experience with friends.
August 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Saybrook Resort Fee
Although the amount was modest, there was no notification about this fee when we made our reservation. When I received the email of our invoice I noticed the $15 plus tax "Resort Fee" although we didn't use any of the resort facilities. It would be courteous to mention this fee when someone makes a reservation.
June 23, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Murano12 Consistently very good however...
I stay at this property approx. 12 times per year and enjoy the hotel's amenities and surrounding area. Staff is what gives your stay that extra bit of satisfaction so in this regard, I would encourage them to pay more attention to details (correct billing, correct rate) and when a mistake is made to offer an apology along with a quick resolution.
October 23, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by LadyDi Great place, service so so
This is really a beautiful hotel, however, we had 2 special requests and neither was met. We were asked if we wanted early check in when we booked and because we were golfing said yes. The plan was to check in at 1:30, change and head to golf...no can do. We also requested a room with a view, we overlooked the garbage bins of the sports bar...
June 12, 2013