Rated 2 out of 5 by VY2323 Beautiful Rooms, Awful Service and Food
My wife and I stayed at the Le Meridian this past January for our honeymoon. I am a Platinum member who travels quite a bit and I have found this hotel to carry two extremes: Absolutely amazing property but terrible service.
- The property is located in a prime area of Bora Bora with a wonderful view of the mountain on the mainland. The facilities are great, especially the private lagoon where you can swim with several species of fish. The hotel also provides complimentary rental of basic water equipment such as snorkels, kayaks and bodyboards.
- The rooms were incredible, the vast majority of them being overwater bungalows with a glass floor overlooking somewhere between 3 to 20 feet deep water (depending on how far out your room is).
- They also have a nice turtle farm on the property which was entertaining to visit.
For one of the most beautiful properties I have ever stayed at, it was a shame that the food and service fell short in every possible way. Specifically:
1) While breakfast was fine, both lunch and dinner were inconsistent in their quality. What made it worse was the service - for example, one night for dinner my wife was brought a dish where they completely screwed up the ingredients from what was on the menu. When we complained, the waiter admitted they knew about the mistake and that the chef had made that same mistake in all of those dishes that evening. My big question: if they knew about the mistake, why did they even serve it in the first place! The quality of the food was a consistent compliant by all the guests we met and was actually a common point of bonding. We ended up taking several excursions to restaurants on the mainland each night.
2) For a category 7 hotel, it feel quite the opposite with regards to the service. The staff overall displayed an attitude that they simply did not care. For example, the fitness center was out of cups to drink water from. When I went to the front desk, the person told me to go buy water from the bar. Are you serious? As another example, my wife and I needed something printed. It took them 3 days to do so with each day having me go down to check the status. Each time I asked why it wasn't printed they would tell me "We forgot".
3) The staff treat the hotel as their own vacation playground. Everyday we would see the staff relaxing by the pool with their kids swimming in it. While I personally do not care about this, the poor service we received made this scene of relaxation by them all the more infuriating.
4) No recognition or special treatment given that it was our honeymoon. Given the level of service, we were not surprised by this. Though it would have been nice if they had done something special.
5) The management did not seem to care. As an example, I emailed the general manager a couple of times about our stay afterwards and did not receive a response until 2 months later.
It is a shame the service and food made this stay not as memorable as it could have been, especially with such a nice property. This hotel needs a change of management to get its act together.
March 8, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by killerbk Not 5 Star
My wife and stayed here the second half of our trip for 3 days. I hauled our luggage across the dock and 5 flights of stairs without assistance from the staff. THe property overall was layed out terrible and the staff completely ignored me our entire stay. I am a fun person, not sure what the deal was. A couple was sitting next to us at the pool and their food was delivered to them and when I asked they said that they dont do that and I was mistaken. I was told that i had to go to the restaurant and pick it up myself.
Compared to the better resorts next door this place is 1 star at best. I'm pretty easy to please but when we are paying over $1000 USD a night I expect a little service.
To be completely honest if this was the first resort we would have stayed at on Bora we wouldnt have known a difference. Since this was our second resort on our trip it was night and day. We almost called our travel agent on the second day to move back to our previous resort.
If you are reading this want some advice on where to stay make a comment on this post and I will get back to you, if they even post this review :/
May 14, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Maverick11 Absolute Paradise
This is our second trip to Le Meridien, Bora Bora. Our first visit was on our Honeymoon back in 2007 when my wife and I absolutely fell in love with Bora Bora and all the luxury Le Meridien had to offer us. That said, we were back earlier this month to celebrate our 5th anniversary in Bora Bora and Le Meridien was our obvious choice.
The location of this resort is by far the best with pristine beaches and lagoons with stunning view of the Mt. Otemanu on the main island.
The staff were very courteous and friendly. To my surprise, some of the older staff even recognized me from our previous visit. We stayed in the premium OWB on both the visits and the rooms were amazing with the huge glass bottom floors and spectacular views from our balcony.
Without a doubt, I'd recommed this place for anyone who wants to get the best out of Bora Bora.
My wife and I have decided to make Bora Bora our tradition to visit every 5yrs on our for our anniversary and Le Meridien is the only place we are going to stay.
December 31, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by WorldTravelledFamily 3 Star Hotel Masked as a 5 Star
The Le Merdien Bora Bora was a disappointment for our family, especially in the dining experience, where they need a complete overhaul. I cannot comprehend how they are a 5 star hotel which offer:
1. No Salt and Pepper shakers...In fact they offer a shared plate of s&p at breakfast for everyone to pinch out of...
2. Most things in the buffet are cold and eggs cooked to order are cooked black..,not because they are burnt but because of the iron transfer from the pans.
3. They executive chef decided to leave in the middle of our dinner at 9 pm and we did not receive what we ordered. Instead of Crispy Chow Mein we received spaghetti with boiled vegetables.
4. Paper napkins for lunch and breakfast service.
5. For the same cost of dinner and soft drinks for 4 at this hotel, we at at the hotel next door in truly 5 star luxury with a drink, Apetizer, main course and desert....and we even got cold towels, Warm bread, S&P shakers and excellent service!!!
Beach staff is excellent, travel desk is good, bar menu is weak and overpriced. The game room keeps kids occupied when they are not in the water. Turtle center is free for guests, nice benefit, but beware the rooms..,they have termites. Even the luxury 2 bed room suite.
My recommendation - pick the St Regis or the Thalasso instead, you'll be happier.
January 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Tropical4Ever Good location with fantastic views
A great resort to stay at while in Bora Bora. we stayed for one week in an overwater bungalow that we thoroughly enjoyed. Every evening we had a local Tahitian wine while sitting on our terrace. We had a very lazy stay, went kayaking, did a jet ski tour and went swimming. The location of this resort is in a sandy bay, so if you expect to snorkel from your bungalow or beach and see fish you will be disappointed. You can however, go off-site to snorkel. You can see stingrays from the resort though. Nothing negative to say, we had a positive experience.
March 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by CW527 High End Value
Location of this property is probably one of the best locations on the island. The only thing missing was an evening sunset cruise.
I think for the money you spend to come to Bora Bora, Le Meridien maintains a lot of high end amenities, in a high end location, and yet offers above standard rooms and bungalows for much less than the St. Regis or Four Seasons. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.
Food was terrific. Service does suffer a bit during evening rush, but overall not bad.
March 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Bubby52 Getting away 2015
Stayed in Bungalow over water with glass floor where you could see the fish swiming around especially at night time. Really nice
Captive to the hotel, nowhere to go, after 3-4 days was ready to leave property to explore other surrounding islands.
Very expensive for hotel, food, and anything you want to do beside snorkeling you pay a premium.
March 4, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by BabyDoc PARADISE
We spent 6 days here at the end of a cruise from Sydney. The staff was awesome! My 5 year old celebrated his bday today and they prepared him a cake and ice cream which he loved!!! The lagunarium was next island over and The St. Regis another starwood property is just next door which they let us use the amenities!!! We love being in the Starwood Family :-)
April 18, 2012