Rated 4 out of 5 An Oasis on Vieques
We had a great time at the W. It's definitely the nicest place to stay on the island but it does have its ups and downs.
The good? Airport shuttles are free, they have coffee and orange water in the lobby daily, the recreational gear for the beach is free to use, the pool is excellent and the food at Sorce' is super good. I slept like a rock on the super comfy beds, the bath tubs are very nice and the view in the ocean-front room is to die for.
The bad? The concierge is almost never at the desk and they don't always answer the phone for room service and wake-up calls. There was something a little fishy smelling near the pool that wafted our way throughout the visit. I couldn't tell if it was trash or a dead iguana. Either way, they should take care of that. We tried to play pool one night but the cues had the tips broken off . . . perhaps something that should be fixed since they have an awesome black light pool table. We also got a little bit of hassle for bringing our own non-alcoholic beverages (i.e. water and juice) down by the pool. I never heard of a rule where you can't bring outside food into a hotel area, unless it's alcohol of course. The lighting in the rooms is also a bit weird. As an energy saving technique, they make it where you have to insert a key in this lighting dock by your door to get the lights to work. I get it, but it's inconvenient when my husband pulls the key out to run get a drink and I'm in a dark shower.
All in all, the W was a good experience. The things that need to be worked on are minor and don't take away from the fact that it's a nice place to stay. They're just minor improvements that need to be made to make it a first class trip.
August 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by mobileVito Perfect in every way
We had a perfect stay here. So many great things. I will start with the friendly staff that is relaxed enough so you have a good time but efficient enough for us mainland Americans. Great beaches, great pool, very good food at the pool bar and sorcé, constant soundtrack of music playing around the grounds, The room is amazing and sexy. I had a platinum room upgrade but I believe all rooms are pretty nice from what I could see. No one should complain about the $60 resort fee. It includes a lot of value for that: chairs, umbrellas, snorkel equipt., kayaks, SUPs, free special cocktail at 6 PM, parking, airport transfer, W lounge at airport with drinks, etc. I did not want to leave.
August 11, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by KKlein They haven't figured out how to run this place YET!
Well first off the facility is really nice! Vieques island is beautiful. The better beaches are on the other side of the resort.
Now lets come back to the customer service piece which was absent for the hotel. Here's the recap of events:
1. They will charge you to flush the toilet if they could. Basically I am not sure what the resort fees is for. The island is pretty small, you would think that they would have some sort of shuttle or 2 mile radius pick up and drop off service but they dont. You either need a car or riculous $20 per person fees to get any where around there! The only thing free was the ride to and back to the airport.
2. We shceduled a tour for Bio bay the first night: A. we were not on the tour B. we were told that the tour will be charged to our hotel room but the tour told us they dont accept credit card payment. We were sent back from our tour embarrased since we didnt take any cash. To top that, the bio car that brought us back demanded money to bring us back since we didnt take the tour.
3. The hotel manager heard us complaining and offered to arrange the tour for next day. She also told us she will comp the tour (very nice of her) but the nect day when we got to the tour, we were not on the list AGAIN and they had no proof that the hotel will be paying them directly. We were again shamed in front of the whole group but they let us take the tour this time.
4. On the second night, water started seeping through the sick in to the room. I complained to front desk, they sent somebody who simply mopped the floor but the water was contantly pouring out.
5. When we returned that night, there was a small lake in our bedroom, the luggage and shoes were wet! we complained again and were told that the engineer is only available during day and will come back in the morning so we slept in our lake that night.
6. The next morning engineer shows up at 6:30 am in the morning and asks us to leave our room. So without a bra and dirty teeth, we were made to leave our room.
7. We go to front desk and they say our room will be ready in couple of hours. This is the time you would have offered free breakfast but they didnt. If this wasnt enough, they put us in a new room with 2 double beds. There goes our romantic couple vacation! I asked to be placed in a room with king bed and were told that nothing was available. I have a hard time believing that, sicne the last building we were put in was pretty empty. Plus we were moved from a pool oasis room to the furthest building from the pool.
8. We go back to pack our wet clothes and run into a nice chap (engineer) who was working in our room and informed us that there was a pipe break in the room. He was nice enough to offer to get our clothes drycleaned (we declined) and offered us to buy breakfast. He asked us to go to resturant and tell them to expense the bill to him
9. On 2 separate occasion, we were waiting for something at whatever/whenever desk and front desk, when the employees kept talking amongst each other like we were invisible and then walked away with each other. The person at whatever/whenever never acknowledged me till I had to interrupt her daily internet surfing session!
All in all, this resort sucks in customer service. They made our stay exceptionally uneasy and irritating. Not what you want on vacation! I dont want to deal with water leaks, moving to double beds, not getting booked for tours on a 3 day vacation! Plus the attitude of " its not my fault" doesnt help either! IT IS your fault!
Any ho, will give where its due, the resort is beautiful!
November 14, 2011
Rated 1 out of 5 by LOCAL Not worthy of the W (or Starwood) flag
The good: restaurant and grounds.
The so-so: beach and tennis courts.
The bad: staff incredibly obtuse and rude. Yeah, I used obtuse.
The drama: way too much to go into here. Don't bother making plans as they will simply ignore or change them. Then, browbeat you or offend you in front of other staff and guests. Just plain horrible.
The upshot: None. Repeated requests to speak or interact with the GM of the property ignored, even when National Reservations intervened on my behalf. Waste of feedback time to National as they noted that this was not the first complaint. They were tracking the issues.
Good luck if you stay here. Just manage your expectations downward and you will be fine.
April 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by dmtm Anniversary Celebration
Paradise Edge private dinner with Joel was outstanding!
August 10, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Chezelle Amazing 16 year anniversary "honeymoon"
My husband and I fell in love all over again during our stay at the W Retreat. We went for our 16 year anniversary and the staff was welcoming, the food was out of this world, the beach was romantic and the room felt like I was at home (or at least my dream home). I will highly recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family. Another cool perk is that you can hear the music under water when swimming at the pool.
August 6, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Vincent33 The perfect retreat in the Caribbean
Very nice hotel, amazing amenities and comfort and great location.
August 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by adamDW Amazing Property!
The W Vieques was everything that I could have possibly hoped for. From the moment we arrived at the hotel and were treated to a cocktail and canapes at the W Lounge at the little airport, to the smiling staff at the Welcome Desk, almost all of our needs were met. The only two issues that I would have is that the resort fee is a bit steep and the towels at the pool were not replenished nearly enough. That aside, the property is gorgeous, my masseuse gave me one of the best massages I've ever had, and the cocktails at Wet were divine. Highly recommend you check out this stunning property on this beautiful sleepy little island!
November 24, 2011