Rated 4 out of 5 by JL432 Excellent Grounds Subpar Room
The grounds are a constant reminder that you are in paradise. The resort easily accommodates families and adults traveling without children. For example, there are two beaches on opposite sides of the resort one for families and the other for adults who wish to relax. However, the rooms are dark and in need of a refresh. There are very few, if any, ocean view rooms with a king sized bed.
January 28, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by KevinHouston Poor execution for a W
Very poor SPG recognition as a Platinum for Life member. While I understand upgrades are based on availability and the hotel was stated to be full, there was no attempt to move me to a closer room when I requested even in a standard room. I literally felt like I was given the farthest room from the central common area where it was unkept. Room service did not arrive and I had to cancel in order to make my tour commitments. At breakfast it took over 20 mins to get my coffee. We literally left the table because service was that poor. The hotel property was as expected, but service was the worst I've seen at any W Hotel and I've been to quite a few. I value the brand, but this was a poor representation of it. I will not return to this property and will recommend friends visit the other properties for their island visit. My return to the PR main land and stay at the Sheraton PR was a significant treat in term of service. The nicest service ironically came from the driver (Ricky!) that took us back to the airport when we departed.
January 2, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by KKlein They haven't figured out how to run this place YET!
Well first off the facility is really nice! Vieques island is beautiful. The better beaches are on the other side of the resort.
Now lets come back to the customer service piece which was absent for the hotel. Here's the recap of events:
1. They will charge you to flush the toilet if they could. Basically I am not sure what the resort fees is for. The island is pretty small, you would think that they would have some sort of shuttle or 2 mile radius pick up and drop off service but they dont. You either need a car or riculous $20 per person fees to get any where around there! The only thing free was the ride to and back to the airport.
2. We shceduled a tour for Bio bay the first night: A. we were not on the tour B. we were told that the tour will be charged to our hotel room but the tour told us they dont accept credit card payment. We were sent back from our tour embarrased since we didnt take any cash. To top that, the bio car that brought us back demanded money to bring us back since we didnt take the tour.
3. The hotel manager heard us complaining and offered to arrange the tour for next day. She also told us she will comp the tour (very nice of her) but the nect day when we got to the tour, we were not on the list AGAIN and they had no proof that the hotel will be paying them directly. We were again shamed in front of the whole group but they let us take the tour this time.
4. On the second night, water started seeping through the sick in to the room. I complained to front desk, they sent somebody who simply mopped the floor but the water was contantly pouring out.
5. When we returned that night, there was a small lake in our bedroom, the luggage and shoes were wet! we complained again and were told that the engineer is only available during day and will come back in the morning so we slept in our lake that night.
6. The next morning engineer shows up at 6:30 am in the morning and asks us to leave our room. So without a bra and dirty teeth, we were made to leave our room.
7. We go to front desk and they say our room will be ready in couple of hours. This is the time you would have offered free breakfast but they didnt. If this wasnt enough, they put us in a new room with 2 double beds. There goes our romantic couple vacation! I asked to be placed in a room with king bed and were told that nothing was available. I have a hard time believing that, sicne the last building we were put in was pretty empty. Plus we were moved from a pool oasis room to the furthest building from the pool.
8. We go back to pack our wet clothes and run into a nice chap (engineer) who was working in our room and informed us that there was a pipe break in the room. He was nice enough to offer to get our clothes drycleaned (we declined) and offered us to buy breakfast. He asked us to go to resturant and tell them to expense the bill to him
9. On 2 separate occasion, we were waiting for something at whatever/whenever desk and front desk, when the employees kept talking amongst each other like we were invisible and then walked away with each other. The person at whatever/whenever never acknowledged me till I had to interrupt her daily internet surfing session!
All in all, this resort sucks in customer service. They made our stay exceptionally uneasy and irritating. Not what you want on vacation! I dont want to deal with water leaks, moving to double beds, not getting booked for tours on a 3 day vacation! Plus the attitude of " its not my fault" doesnt help either! IT IS your fault!
Any ho, will give where its due, the resort is beautiful!
November 14, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5 by JMJS Very good but a few surprises
We booked three rooms for three couples. All the rooms were lovely. But two of the rooms were not made up until almost dinner time. One of the rooms had a broken safe in it. We were surprised at check-out by the $60/day resort fee. We found the food expensive.
January 21, 2015
Rated 1 out of 5 by LOCAL Not worthy of the W (or Starwood) flag
The good: restaurant and grounds.
The so-so: beach and tennis courts.
The bad: staff incredibly obtuse and rude. Yeah, I used obtuse.
The drama: way too much to go into here. Don't bother making plans as they will simply ignore or change them. Then, browbeat you or offend you in front of other staff and guests. Just plain horrible.
The upshot: None. Repeated requests to speak or interact with the GM of the property ignored, even when National Reservations intervened on my behalf. Waste of feedback time to National as they noted that this was not the first complaint. They were tracking the issues.
Good luck if you stay here. Just manage your expectations downward and you will be fine.
April 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Cindy80 Best 3 Generation Girls Getaway Ever!
As a special milestone birthday gift for our Mom we decided to say "good bye cold" and hello to the warm Caribbean for a girls getaway. We were the last flight in at 9:30 PM, unfortunately one piece of luggage was missing from our party when we got off the plane. No chance of seeing it until the next day but we were happy to get on the "W" shuttle that was waiting and we quickly arrived at the hotel. We were tired, hungry and a little cranky from our long travel day and lost luggage when we walked in the door. Fortunately, from the moment we entered the hotel and checked in with Edgardo our stay was great. He was extremely courteous, friendly, efficient and made sure the missing luggage was found and then delivered promptly to our room the next day. Thank you! The restaurant service, food (many choices) was very good, morning coffee was delicious and ocean views while dining were breathtaking. Poolside facilities, lush vegetation, tropical breezes and again those ocean views made for a truly perfect & relaxing getaway for the four of us (ages 27 to 80!) The beds, pillows and linens were more comfortable than home! Overall experience for what we were looking for was a ten. We would definitely return.
January 19, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by adamDW Amazing Property!
The W Vieques was everything that I could have possibly hoped for. From the moment we arrived at the hotel and were treated to a cocktail and canapes at the W Lounge at the little airport, to the smiling staff at the Welcome Desk, almost all of our needs were met. The only two issues that I would have is that the resort fee is a bit steep and the towels at the pool were not replenished nearly enough. That aside, the property is gorgeous, my masseuse gave me one of the best massages I've ever had, and the cocktails at Wet were divine. Highly recommend you check out this stunning property on this beautiful sleepy little island!
November 24, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jman Great resort! However.......
Overall the hotel is perfect with a very high service standard found not found anywhere else in the Caribbean. However, be prepared to serve yourself at the pool. The pool service staff (when you can find one) is in attentive and basically unfriendly. They lost a tremendous amount of revenue from me and the other guests. By FAR the weakest link in the chain...... What a disappointment!
October 30, 2011