Rated 2 out of 5 by TBA4 NOT WORTH IT
You expect the best of the best when you stay at the W especially when you pay "W pricing". I was very disappointed. My cable TV and internet worked only half the time and when it did it was slow and not clear. I asked for someone to fix this and nothing improved. My room also had no minifridge. The room is designed for show not for use. I hit my head on the shelf above the sink for example because the sink is so large and awkwardly placed. The bed is not comfy whatsoever and the food prices are insane. However, the resort has a great pool and gym. In the end, I had a bad experience for the price i paid. I would not stay there again.
July 11, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by LOCAL Not worthy of the W (or Starwood) flag
The good: restaurant and grounds.
The so-so: beach and tennis courts.
The bad: staff incredibly obtuse and rude. Yeah, I used obtuse.
The drama: way too much to go into here. Don't bother making plans as they will simply ignore or change them. Then, browbeat you or offend you in front of other staff and guests. Just plain horrible.
The upshot: None. Repeated requests to speak or interact with the GM of the property ignored, even when National Reservations intervened on my behalf. Waste of feedback time to National as they noted that this was not the first complaint. They were tracking the issues.
Good luck if you stay here. Just manage your expectations downward and you will be fine.
April 22, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Freddie12 Almost five stars, would be 4.5 if the rating allowed it
First, we had some hesitance after reading some reviews before we arrived, mainly on 1) food quality at the hotel and 2) service quality/attitude at the hotel.
I would say that this was, pleasantly, "mostly wrong". There were little things (a little surliness at the cafe from one employee in particular, though nothing outwardly confrontational, missed/forgotten drinks at the pool, etc.) but I say little because they were certainly not 'in the main'. In the main, the staff was very warm, friendly and eager to please. Food quality was very good; in particular the menu breakfasts (the buffet breakfast on Sunday, in all honesty, lacked, particularly given the exorbitant $28/per price). I honestly don't know what the reviewers were complaining about though regarding low food quality. Truth be told, after day 1 we ate all of our dinners off site at local restaurants (where admittedly food quality was even better), but still the food at the hotel in general was very good.
We spent most of our day time on the grounds of the hotel, enjoying the pool, beach, water sports and just relaxing and reading. Days were complete pleasure end to end. My wife got a spa treatment, she said it was excellent.
The island (not just the hotel but the island in general) was, surprisingly, quite pricey. I am not complaining per se, we had an excellent time and that's more important than what we paid for stuff, most particularly food, but still it was something we observed.
Please understand I have mentioned absolutely everything I didn't like; which means most everything I did like. In fact, I am pretty comfortable that we'll be coming back to the W Vieques again, and maybe not too long until. We absolutely loved Vieques and overall the hotel was an excellent complement to the island.
July 16, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by KKlein They haven't figured out how to run this place YET!
Well first off the facility is really nice! Vieques island is beautiful. The better beaches are on the other side of the resort.
Now lets come back to the customer service piece which was absent for the hotel. Here's the recap of events:
1. They will charge you to flush the toilet if they could. Basically I am not sure what the resort fees is for. The island is pretty small, you would think that they would have some sort of shuttle or 2 mile radius pick up and drop off service but they dont. You either need a car or riculous $20 per person fees to get any where around there! The only thing free was the ride to and back to the airport.
2. We shceduled a tour for Bio bay the first night: A. we were not on the tour B. we were told that the tour will be charged to our hotel room but the tour told us they dont accept credit card payment. We were sent back from our tour embarrased since we didnt take any cash. To top that, the bio car that brought us back demanded money to bring us back since we didnt take the tour.
3. The hotel manager heard us complaining and offered to arrange the tour for next day. She also told us she will comp the tour (very nice of her) but the nect day when we got to the tour, we were not on the list AGAIN and they had no proof that the hotel will be paying them directly. We were again shamed in front of the whole group but they let us take the tour this time.
4. On the second night, water started seeping through the sick in to the room. I complained to front desk, they sent somebody who simply mopped the floor but the water was contantly pouring out.
5. When we returned that night, there was a small lake in our bedroom, the luggage and shoes were wet! we complained again and were told that the engineer is only available during day and will come back in the morning so we slept in our lake that night.
6. The next morning engineer shows up at 6:30 am in the morning and asks us to leave our room. So without a bra and dirty teeth, we were made to leave our room.
7. We go to front desk and they say our room will be ready in couple of hours. This is the time you would have offered free breakfast but they didnt. If this wasnt enough, they put us in a new room with 2 double beds. There goes our romantic couple vacation! I asked to be placed in a room with king bed and were told that nothing was available. I have a hard time believing that, sicne the last building we were put in was pretty empty. Plus we were moved from a pool oasis room to the furthest building from the pool.
8. We go back to pack our wet clothes and run into a nice chap (engineer) who was working in our room and informed us that there was a pipe break in the room. He was nice enough to offer to get our clothes drycleaned (we declined) and offered us to buy breakfast. He asked us to go to resturant and tell them to expense the bill to him
9. On 2 separate occasion, we were waiting for something at whatever/whenever desk and front desk, when the employees kept talking amongst each other like we were invisible and then walked away with each other. The person at whatever/whenever never acknowledged me till I had to interrupt her daily internet surfing session!
All in all, this resort sucks in customer service. They made our stay exceptionally uneasy and irritating. Not what you want on vacation! I dont want to deal with water leaks, moving to double beds, not getting booked for tours on a 3 day vacation! Plus the attitude of " its not my fault" doesnt help either! IT IS your fault!
Any ho, will give where its due, the resort is beautiful!
November 14, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Zulraqadr This hotel is very relaxing.
I stayed with my daughter and grandson. We all had four days of relaxed vacations. Not crowded facilities, not laud noises, excellent food, restful sleeps, really calming music around all facilities, great service, pools and beach. We all loved staying at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island.
July 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by TaraD13 When will I ever learn?
This hotel has saved us TWICE now! The first time we went to Vieques we rented a home that ended up having no working air conditioning which was not going to work with our 3 small children so we ran to the W hotel as fast as we could & knew we'd found a true paradise on this island! The second time we stayed just this past week I thought since it was just my husband & I that we thought we'd try to stay at another hotel that had no AC but looked cool online...wrong again! After three days with no AC, about 35 bug bites all over my body & a run in with a giant spider in the bathroom we called the W hotel at 10 PM begging for a room. They welcomed us once again with open arms, a great rate, kind service & an ocean front room for our last night on the island. The W Hotel is the best and most magical place to stay on this island & I will only stay here for all future trips...lesson FINALLY learned! The W hotel has amazing dining, great pool, fun activities, great decor & luxurious modern rooms & amenities. The staff is amazing as well! I can't think of one bad thing to say about the place! So...save your sanity, learn from my mistakes & stay here! You'll be so glad you did!
July 13, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by SK1984 great pools, bad food
the staff, hotel rooms and resort was wonderful. the pools were perfect, open 24 hours a day which is great.
sadly the food was awful - the burgers at the pool were terrible - the side orders of just potato wedges were $10 and not alot of choice.
Source was slightly better, but not worth the money - better to go outside to esperanza to eat to be honest.
June 26, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by ViequesEnhtusiast Great hotel, could be cleaner
Loved my stay at the W, the front desk staff and concierge were very helpful and pleasant.
Beautiful property, nice amenities, the Island Car Rental and Blackbeard sports make it very easy to plan activities and explore the island. Drinks and food were also delicious!
What could be improved:
room cleanliness. We found garbage from the previous occupants in the wet bar area. Also the floors and toilets didn't seem very clean (hair on the floor from previous occupants and the guest toilet had stains).
July 7, 2014