Rated 5 out of 5 by JuliaVictoria fabulous and perfect in a year
First important to say, that we visited Yalong Bay for the 6-th time and first - St. Regis. Location is beautiful and quiet, huge territory, perfect rooms and sure service level is increadible. However, there was a feeling, that the hotel is very young and there are much to do. I just would like to give some notes for the managers and guests who will stay in the hotel.
Hope, the pool near beach is already constructed (during our vsit there were great construction works ongoing - noisy, a little dirty). Haven't found toilet on the beach - it's strange ;) You have to go to the swimming pool area.
Not so many trees and bushes (or they are very young): it's very hot during the day walking through the territory (for ex. from pool to the beach), because the re are no shadows.
The sun beds on the beach in such exclusive hotel might be a little bigger...
Pool territory is beatiful with 4 levels and water falling from one to one, but the depth in all pools is no more than 1.3 - 1.6 metres. For me it is awful and not attractive. As a result the water in the pool is rather warm and no interest to swim in.
We were shocked to know Lobby bar is open until 11.30 PM. I have no reason why should it close so early.
All the other is absolutely perfect: the biggest and perfect equipped rooms, very kind and responsive personnel, really diving the guests desires. That was a very pleasant stay and we do hope to come back!
October 8, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by BPCTraveller St. Regis?? Could be a knockoff
My wife, two children and I booked one week at the St. Regis, Sanya for annual vacation. We do not get much holiday time, so we wanted a great room with a full Ocean View to enjoy ourselves.
The staff at St. Regis are very friendly and try to be helpful, but their hands are tied to a property that simply does meet global standards of a five star hotel as a result of management and the property itself. There is a lot of lip service to trying to be helpful, but really slow action to remedy issues. The website also falsely represents the rooms. This is a serious problem as having stayed at St. Regis around the globe I have never seen complete and utter false representation of rooms. Here are the facts of our stay:
1. check in staff very nice, but not properly trained to use credit card system. As a result check in took 20 minutes with staff keep asking for another credit card saying mine was declined. Eventually she figured out to check us in using the card provided;
2. We reserved Royal Villa which was confirmed in writing as "Full Ocean View". The first room provided had highly obstructed ocean view and full view of marina. They changed our room, but it was not a full Ocean View, but partial. None of the Royal Villa's have Full Ocean View as advertised on the Starwood website. The picture they post on the website cannot exist or was taken before the Marina was constructed that now obstructs the view. None of the staff seem to think this is important. Although the hotel charges for this room 10,000 RMB about USD $1,600 per night. All the staff just laugh when I tell them this and they all confirm "yes sir it is not full ocean view".
3. When we checked in the floors were very dirty. I took a small white cloth and wiped it on the floor and it came back black. The hotel remedied this when they changed our room.
4. The first morning we want to the breakfast buffet at 9:30 am. I called the hotel to service the room while we were gone. We arrived at the only restaurant for breakfast and lined up until 10:20 for a table. I have never had to line up at a St. Regis or for that matter any Starwood property for breakfast. The buffet is simply very very average.
5. Each Buffet table also has an off putting sign. Everyone has their choice about helping people around the world in various financial circumstances, but St Regis seems very sanctimonious with these words: "There are still many people suffering from hunger all over the world. Please be considerate when taking food from the buffet..."
6. I had requested to check out early simply because it seems rather shocking to reserve a full ocean view and not get what was reserved, but there is no manager that will take responsibility for changing our reservation and the duty managers say you cannot check out early. Every manager that has talked to me says "I don't have the authority to change your reservation". They keep saying we will do anything we can to make your stay enjoyable, but they cannot or will not simply give us the room we reserved as it simply does not exist at this hotel. Normally if you sell something and you know you cannot provide it this is a fraudulent misrepresentation under the law. A serious matter in the Western World.
7. the hotel has many renovations going on currently. Behind our room a backhoe ran all day on our arrival. The main swimming pool is pulled apart in a key corner and dirt and debris from the renovation spill into the pool. As a result the main swimming pool is not clean.
All in all this property seems to have friendly staff, but they do not deliver at all what they promise and seem more concerned about securing payment than really providing the level of service and quality that St. Regis brand stands for. I would suggest it be rebranded Sheraton 4 Points , barely qualifies however.
July 28, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by MrOresama My hotel experience
My family and I have been well taken care of by F&B Director Mr. M.I throughout our 3-night stay at St.Regis Sanya. We are welcomed by the GM, walked down by guest relations and butler to our room where we got checked in. A huge complimentary fruit plate & chocolate treats are ready at room, together with the warm welcome by the staff, we totally feel the caring hospitality of the resort.
We are traveling with our 9m old son so we've made some requests upon our arrival such as a cot and sterilizing machine ready at our room. butler on the first day, has been very helpful in arranging all these nicely and neatly. He's also got our son a complimentary gift pack despite the bathrobe, tee, cap & coloring set inside are somehow inappropriate for our son yet. We appreciate his kindness anyways.
Kids are well taken care of in the restaurants at the resort. Free meal/ dishes are offered for kids under 10 and we can always find something for our son at the breakfast and menus. Chefs are also flexible in preparing food & dishes for our son upon our request. Staff in the restaurants have been very helpful as well. They prepare the highchair & tableware for our son (sometimes upon request). They are all very friendly and cheerful. Vietnamese, the F&B Guest service manager, has been very considerate to our needs and served us very well during our mealtimes. One of the highlights is the BBQ dinner which is only served on Friday and Saturday nights. The atmosphere of dinning outdoor on the grassy garden with nice breezes is spectacular, but we have to say that the variety of food items is somewhat below our expectation. Food and dishes are mostly fresh and nicely presented but lack surprises and a taste that is unforgettable to eaters.
Children facilities and activities in the resort are above our expectation - with very spacious children's club & playground and a wide variety of activities that are reasonably priced are offered. If our son had been bigger he could have explored and enjoyed all these.
There are however some shortcomings the resort has to overcome. Staff at the management level are all very thoughtful and experienced, yet more training is needed for staff at the lower tier. In particular, English proficiency and a sense of empathy is yet to be developed. As a loyal member to Starwoods I do have a higher expectation at St. Regis compared to other SPG brands...
After all, St. Regis has given us a relaxing and joyful stay in Sanya and definitely we'll go visit again when our son gets bigger.
October 9, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by aelysium Very good, but much improvement needed
Let me start by saying that much of the improvement needed is not within the hotel's control - it has much more to do with the lack of qualified persons available for hire in Hainan's burgeoning tourism industry. For example, when I asked for the butler to meet me in 20 minutes at the gym, without telling me, the butler decided that he'll not come until called. I had to wait on the butler. He did not quite understand the mentality for time, and meeting cleint's needs.
July 20, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by dpaul Great service, very friendly staff
Staff are very friendly;butler service is superb. The best hotel in the area to stay if you care about the service you receive.
Waiters (waitresses) in the restaurant looked a bit tired, not as friendly and considerate, but they are dealing with a very demanding Chinese crowd.
The only drawback is the beach is not as good as other places, such as Sheraton and Hilton. Certain segment is rather rocky. However you get a much quieter corner of Yalong Bay.
December 6, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Boeing Poor Service at the St Regis Sanya
Room amenities not replanished. used month wash was put back back into drawer. Asked for English breakfast tea bag was told not available. Lunch menu item not avialable. Services overall very poor. If soemone senior of st. regis would really like to know more and care to find out more please contact me.
January 1, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Myhc Nice hotel but.....
Was waiting for an online survey from the hotel but did not received any and hence decided to provide my feedback here.
Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. The hotel is very well maintained with nice landscape, courteous staff and excellent facility. Read reviews from some websites that butlers only appear during check-in and was hard to request for service subsequently. However, this was not my experience as I run into them quite frequently and some of them even recognize me and chat with me. The service provided was excellent.
However, there is one issue I like to raise. When I first check-in. the room allocated to me was not a very good facing room. Called front desk and requested to change room but was told that all available pool access room were full. Was told that 2 rooms will be available next day. I agreed to stay put at existing room for the night and told them to reserve one of the room for me and will change room tomorrow. The staff confirmed my request and told me that they will let me know tomorrow when the room is available. When I returned to the hotel in the evening after some sight seeing and checked with the front desk, I was told both rooms were not available and they could only allocated other rooms with the same facing. I was quite disappointed with the kind of handling from the hotel. As a Gold member, I did not ask for any special request for room type during check-in and hence was allocated a less than desirable room. The worst is that the hotel did not keep and delivered it's promise.
The hotel tried to control damage by so-called upgrading me to a premier sea view room, where the view was mostly blocked by trees. In addition, the room allocated was a smoking room. I only realized it after I settled in and was too tired to request another change. Chatted with the butlers later and understood that the hotel was only 50% occupied but they were not willing to give me a better room. I have the feeling that the hotel is only interested in getting new customers to sign up as SPG members, as witnessed during check-in and the next day at front desk, and do not value existing members. If the hotel is only 50% occupied, and if they are serious to perform a service recovery, surely they could allocate me to a higher floor with better view and a non-smoking room. It seems that they are just trying to get me off their back as quickly as possible. If the hotel is not willing or could not be bother to allocate a nicer room for gold members, I do not see any reason to stay at this hotel.
October 21, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by SPGfanlosingfaith Untrained Service Personnel
Horrible service. Everything was bad, from check-in to check-out.
June 10, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by kdky64 Far below usual St. Regis standard
Stayed 3 nights in August, 2012.
- New hardware.
- Room decor is typical of St. Regis.
- Staff generally friendly but service was poor (see Negatives below).
- More secluded side of Yalong Bay, so probably less crowded than other hotels that are next to each other.
- Construction all around premise. Noise and blockage of view.
- Staff barge into rooms without knocking AND despite DND sign being on.
- Housekeeping calls whenever they want to ask if they can come and clean the room despite the DND sign being on.
- Hotel room floors are marble and not properly cleaned every day.
- Seemed to be some type of group tour promotion going on, so was not the type of guest mix I expected at a St. Regis. Very chaotic and noisy every where.
- Some staff liked to say, "yes, I can help you with ____, because it is low season and we are not that busy".
- At most Starwood properties, Platinum members would get access to a lounge and some other benefits. None here. Some benefits came with the premium ocean view room, but none were associated with Platinum status. Several staff had no clue what SPG or Platinum status was.
- Ming Xuan Chinese restaurant is below average for St. Regis. Dishes not well done and way too small for the price point.
- Lobby lounge singer was terrible and the piano was out of tune. Every afternoon the "music" would give one headaches.
- Very wasteful on toiletries like toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, etc. Just opened and used once, then taken away by housekeeping and yes, replaced with new one, but way too wasteful.
August 15, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by disgruntledndisappointd Great Hotel, Poor Service
Take heed if you wish to stay.
Spent two nights with high expectation because it is a St Regis brand. But all I met with is bad, unhappy staff, who offered less than a 3-star hotel service.
Expect to wait for at least 20min for check-in or out, not because it's under-staffed, but they allow other guests to jump queue, which is extremely annoying.
Same goes for the all-day restaurant, any local Shanghai restaurant would provide better and attentive service than this outlet.
Do not expect any butler service, I doubt if it even existed. I called the butler service from room a dozen of times but no one picked up. Have to do everything by myself, including hauling my luggage.
A top notch hotel is NOT measured by its hardware, but overall service and stay experience. Long way to go for China.
August 10, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by hoyhoy This hotel does not have St. Regis standard
We stayed at St. Regis Yalong Bay Resort Sanya in July 2013.
Our first impression was at the hotel entrance - it was crowded with cars and people and we are not talking about tourist people, they were hotel staff, drivers, security guards or some sort (smoking in uniform) talking loudly on cellphone.
In the room, there are 2 hand-washing sinks separated by a shower room but there was only 1 tissue box & 1 trash bin on one side of the sinks, which was not convenient for 2 persons to share.
Outdoor furniture was not well maintained and are falling apart.
At Front desk, receptionist was not able to change flight when requested.
In the whole, this property doesn't give a St. Regis feel.
I am hoping this is not because of it is a a resort property and not a city hotel.
We wish we never have checked-in before.
August 7, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Scott79 Hotel is good but has some issues
The hotel is beautiful and the grounds are lovely. The rooms were great, huge, comfortable. Unfortunately, there is not a wide variety of food available on the property and for the prices paid the quality is not very good. Service is as expected in Sanya, staff pretty clueless about what they should be doing, thinking they are just paid to stand there. The pools certainly could be kept a lot cleaner and have all the bugs cleaned out of them multiple times per day.
The biggest disappointment on this hotel is the beach, it is at the end of Yalong Beach and the tides mean that the water for swimming is filthy if you walk up the beach 20 minutes near other hotels that is not the case. It is also a far walk to the other Yalong hotels a bit isolated. We had a good time but certainly expected a lot more from the St. Regis than they delivered.
March 25, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by hEnRy327 What an exprience ~~
what else you can ask for
but the check in counters are always busy ....
last but not the least
being SPG platinum members......
got upgraded to ROYAL VILLA for the 1st stay and OCEAN suite for 2nd time ........
l O v E .....SPG
April 2, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Frequenttraveller Nice location, staff skills to be improved
Extremely appealing location but few staff able to speak english.
Platinum status not adequately recognized (Upgraded limited to a superior room, asked late check out to be extended at 5pm for flight constraint, denied for high occupancy rate)
January 28, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Tashiking Disappointing experience
This is the first time I stayed at a St. Regis. With my experience with other Starwood hotels, I had high expectation. St Regis Sanya just did not live up to it.
December 9, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nick The room is super big
The hotel's room is very big (around 70-80 square meters), it comes with a nice view balcony. The breakfast is outstanding. We quite enjoy the stay.
April 17, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Michael A good place to stay with your family
warm and friendly staff
beach is ok
play space for children is ok
April 10, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Sultanrocks This could to be the best in Yalong Bay, Sanya
I was planning a short vacation in Snaya to get away from Beijing's merciless winter. Though Yalong Bay is a little far from the city but it boosts the best beaches in Sanya. I previously stayed in the Sheraton Sanya also located in Yalong Bay but was not impressed. So for this trip, I did some research and read numerous reviews from Tripadvisor and some local travel websites. The negative review put me off from staying in the one-year old St Regis and I checked into the top rated Yalong Bay hotel rated in Tripadvisor. But I just have to experience myself and decided to stayed for a night. It turned out to be a mistake, I should have ignored those reviews as I utterly enjoyed the St Regis Sanya. It has better landscaping and definitely a better view of the sea. The rooms are spacious, well equipped and maintained as you would expect of any other St Regis. The infiniti pool overlooking the beach is just magnificent and so much fun. Though sunny, Sanya can be chilling at this time of the year with temperatures dropping to below 16 degree Celcius at times. I was so put off by the chilling water in the other hotel's pools (they are basically empty all the time). To my amazement, the water in the St Regis' pool is warm and inviting. Families and kids were truly having fun and this is what a beach resort should be like. I was finally enjoying my vacation in Sanya. One of the drawback was the check in and check out which is by far the worst I have had experience. Another truly annoying and ridiculous thing that I experienced was the hotel actually allows vehicles (I am not talking about golf karts but mini buses, SUVs and cars!) to be driven inside the compound and they will actually horn at you to get you out of their way while you are taking a leisurely stroll. If you are ok with having your view of the beautiful Yalong Bay being obstructed by the occasional convoys while you are lying on your deck chair sipping your martinis, or trust that the driver will not accidentally run over your kids then this could be the best hotel in Yalong Bay, in my view.
December 30, 2012