Rated 3 out of 5 by Pflowen Great location-not 5 star!
My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. I have always been impressed with the hotels in the spg chain. This hotel is rich with history, but unfortunately the hotel really shows the age. The lobby/loungue area is very nice but the hotel rooms are very plain and lack charm. As a gold member we were upgraded into a delux room, however, based on the room we got I would hate to see what the basic room is like. Despite this I would recommend this hotel but by no means would I ever say its 5 stars. If you booked it with a rating of 3 stars you would be happy with the room since you would not be expecting what every other 5 star spg hotel offers.
May 5, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Cr11 Very nice Hotel
We stayed at the Hotel the first time and it will not be the last.
We had a nice room for three guests and it was big and nice.
Some guest say it is old but I guess it depends how you look at it. I think it is old English Charme.
We loved the Hotel and would especialy like to thank Richard, Ricky and Antonio for their extensive help.
We had a great vacation and will be back.
May 8, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by CinnabarJ Great location,but facilities need updating
Great location. Concierge & bell staff very helpful. Check in problematic:I dropped off my wife with luggage to check us in while I was dropping off a rental car. Check was refused till I was back because reservation was in my name, even though my wife had her identification with her. Room was small room,bathroom poor . Ceiling light flickered on and off, and we had to turn it off. Room was supposed to have an extra bed. Called staff to request it. Someone showed up and said room was too small for one,even though reservation was for 3 people. I went down to speak to front desk and were told, a bed will be put in and the other staff was wrong.This was no 5 star facility!
May 11, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Travel2013 The Green Initiative
I agree with not replacing towels everyday. Most of us don't need that, and it's nice to have to option to keep the hotel and think we are doing something good for the planet. But even after we read the flyer twice, we didn't realize that by going green, no staff would enter our room....not to make the bed, not to get rid of the trash. That experience took away our enjoyment of the beautiful room, as we would have had to take our own trash out in order to keep our towels for the day. It made us feel like they used people's environmental awareness to cut back on the most basic service of a hotel.
April 30, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Irene Disappointing
First, the entrance to the hotel, on a side alley, was most underwhelming, to say the least. The room was adequate in size, but sorely in need of updating. It was a challenge to figure out where and how everything worked. I had to call the desk to find out where the hair dryer was...in the closet! And, there isn't even a plug in the bathroom to use the hair dryer! The only redeeming feature to the room was the quality of the bed, and the bath towels. And, the one redeeming feature to the hotel itself is it's location, and the entrance to the hotel from Piccadilly Road....it is a lovely lounge and bar area.
May 10, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Edward8 Small things
The overall experience was great. There were a few small things however. The stopper in the sink was broken. There was an ironing board but no iron. The room 424, was excellent however it was noisy due to trash pick-up in the early mornings and the service carts being stored outside the room. The staff was outstanding and responsive and overall the room and stay was excellent.
May 15, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by JLondon Park Lane Hotel London
Ideal loaction but the rooms are not renovated with very old carpet on floor
May 14, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by MKBUK Much work needed to bring this hotel up to 5-star standard
I always appreciate the SPG recognition and the excellent attitude of the staff here.
However, the hotel falls a long way short of providing a five-star service. For example:
- There are no longer tea/coffee trays in the rooms. These have to be requested, which is a hassle and a delay.
- Despite a card on the desk saying that I was in a wifi zone, the signal was too weak to be usable.
- The in-room television system is antiquated with few British channels (no BBC3/4, ITV2/3/4, for example) and just two radio ones (Capital and Classic FM). Most of the tv content is 16:9 non-HD, but then side-cropped to 4:3 before distribution to the 16:9 LCD screens in the rooms. Madness.
- At breakfast, no porridge; no egg/pancake/omelette station -- scrambled and cold hard-boiled are the only egg options on the buffet; no vegetarian options such as veggie sausage.
- I've had some rooms where the a/c has been ineffective. - The workmanship in the rooms is poor. Out of a dozen or so wall pictures, fittings, mains sockets, etc. I don't think a single one had been secured with the help of a spirit level. Some were seriously askew. - There is no Club lounge.
- The two lifts, not being together, are not used efficiently, and can lead to an unnecessarily long wait if you happen to pick the wrong one. A system is needed where you select a floor outside the lift, and are then told which lift to go to.
It's such a shame that there are flaws, because, with good management, this hotel could be superb.
May 14, 2013