Rated 1 out of 5 by comeondave00 Not worth the money
Was given a "club floor room" and upon entering room..I laughed out loud asking myself "Really? A club room?" The carpets were stained and torn. There was a picture missing on the wall right next to the bed. Made sure not to hit it as the hooks were left there sticking out. Price was not worth it! Rather stay next door and get more out of money. Oh, pool was out of service and was not even told so..Have to use pool next door- ya! if you don't mind a hike!
May 4, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by danna old
needs a total redo
hasn't been updated in 20 to 30 years
May 3, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by AppreciativeGuest Comfortable
Comfortable stay at the Sheraton Universal! I stayed three days for a conference. The room was very nice and the staff very kind and accommodating. I would also recommend to families looking to stay close to Universal Studios or City Walk.
May 2, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Stanzi99 Not quite great...
The staff at the hotel was great. The room was a little weird in that there was virtually no closet. You could hang maybe 2 things in it. As an SPG member I opted for free Wi-Fi in my room, but he signal was so weak we couldn't use it. The towels are pretty old. Needed more space to put our stuff in the bathroom.
April 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by famadventure37 Hotel has great customer service
We received amazing customer service from Front Lobby staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Clean and quiet room.
April 28, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Billy4 This hotel needs improvement
Our room was not accomedating to what they say online nor what the booking agent told us. when trying to trade rooms they said they were sold out of the rroms we needed but my wife called and asked for reservations and they said they could book it for her so then the hotel accomidated us after we told them that wwe knew they had rooms left.
April 28, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Herticus No Sleep
You go to a Hotel to sleep as your first priority.
The room my family and I were in for two days was uncomfortably hot and ruined our trip. I contacted the desk three times before I received a response and answer on the second night, from the Hotel Engineer, that informed me that you can not regulate the air conditioning temp in / from your room controller. Air conditioning in your room is controlled by the ambient air outside the Hotel.
April 28, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Korn Disappointed
The hotel lobby and staff were great. I was disappointed with the room and pool. I understand the pool is undergoing a complete makeover however I have to rate it based on what I saw not what it might be. Also the when the elevator doors opened on the floor out room was on it smelled old and stale. Upon entering our room it was the same. It was clean and appeared nice but it is looking tired and worn. Also the bathroom is very small.
April 25, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by gyhang Bed SPG hotel I ever had
This is a bed SPG hotel I ever had. WiFi doesn't work any more, bathroom not clean, shower water so small. Food not good at all. swimming pool can't use, can't check out late.
April 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by SanFranTom Comfortable hotel with a few issues
While I stay at this hotel fairly frequently, I'm beginning to notice some issues that make me question whether I need to find another property. The gym equipment needs better maintenance and upkeep, including the water cooler which was empty. A more alarming issue is the prices on room service items. The cost of a Caesar Salad with chicken would have been $45! That's outrageous!
April 24, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by lo89117 Returning guest
We have stayed at this hotel previously and was satisfied with the service. The hotel is nice and the staff is friendly. The first complaint is the people in the room next to us attempted to get in our room through the connecting door. The room was not cleaned the second day of our stay due to there was only one housekeeper on duty. I had to ask her for clean towels and wash cloths.
April 24, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Michelle140 Worst hotel experience...ever!
I am not sure how to even begin describing my horrible experience with the Sheraton Universal city hotel, l so let me just number my complaints in order:
1. reservation was wrong and had us booked for 1 king bed instead of two full beds. Did not have a room with two full beds so had to give us room with a rollaway!
2. Room appearance was "distressed" at best with headboards that were peeling and at first glance looked like blood stains.
3. A long letter on the desk explained how they were "excited" to announce that their pool was under renovation so that they may provide their guests with a new experience. How is this exciting for us when our stay is now...not four months from now? Also, all the site reviews I read before enthusiastically booking this hotel, showed the hotels feedback that the renovations were to be completed by the first week of April 2014.
4. The room was dirty and the wall socket in the bathroom was melted and did not work so we could not even plug in a curling iron.
5. The room was layered with dust and there was blue ink pen scribbled all over the headboard and the leatherette chair...it was beyond unsightly.
6. It appeared the room had been taken out of commission and booked to us after they messed up the reservation.
7. I decided to request another room.
8. The only other room available had a 1 x1 foot piece of carpet cut out, and a view of the pool that was frightening. Dark sludge at the bottom of the pool without any attempt to hide the unsightly view that more than 50% of the rooms looked out onto. Unreal for the price of this room. (note that the restaurant also is wall to wall windows that look out to this view and truly ruined out appetites).
9. We decided the horrible conditions of the second room were so much worse than our first room that we went back to it. That evening we realize the heat was also out in our room. It was 50 degrees outside and being from Arizona...we were freezing cold. I realize to anyone from the East coast that this must sound ridiculous but again...for the price we paid, I expected to have air conditioning that worked and I expected to be comfortable.
10. We were told the heat was broken but it would be fixed by the time we returned that evening from a full day at Universal Studios.
11. The heat was still out and we were finally told after a long runaround that they could not fix it but could offer us a space heater. Again...unreal for the price of this room but we took it because we were freezing and they had no more rooms left
12. The space heater they brought up was broken with a melted control. We had to hold down the knob and guess if the heat was on low or high. I called and explained the issue and again requested another room so we could get a nights sleep. They had none. At this point it was 10:30p.m. at night and we were exhausted. They said they were going to send someone from engineering to look at the heat and I told them I did not want someone in my room so late at night. They had all day to fix the heat and failed to do so. My daughter, who was fighting a fever, went to bed and I got in a hot tub to try to warm up and relax.
13. A knock at the door scared my daughter and she answered the door to a custodian who said he was instructed to take away the space heater. My daughter frantically got me out of the tub and through the door I pleaded that this man go away. He refused twice. I finally insisted he leave and I was truly scared and began to feel unsafe and threatened. I need to add that our "do not disturb" sign was on the door when he knocked at 11 p.m at night and refused to leave without the space heater.
14. At one point we ordered room service. I got a bacon cheeseburger. They delivered it without the bacon. Instead of taking the order back and making it right, the room service attendant left telling me he would bring me back the bacon! I kid you not! To make it even more comical...he returned 30 minutes later with the bacon. It was rock hard and cold as ice so they had to have retrieved it from the refrigerator, probably used for their salad bar? I am not sure. All I know is it was dry cold and uneatable. I had a cold hamburger and a plate of cold bacon in front of me. I told him to take it back and forget about it. ( I was offered a $50.00 restaurant credit to use in the hotel to make up for this mistake but they knew we were checking out the next morning and we had already paid for a package that included a free breakfast so there was no way I could use the offer). I was told that my credit card would not be charged for the two night stay but I was leery that this would actually happen, because I was speaking with two different managers and neither one seemed to know what was going on and clearly they were not communicating with each other. When I left, I asked for the zero charges in writing, which they provided to me. However the next day the charges reappeared on my credit card statement! I called to get an explanation. Both Raphael and Sam received my messages and failed to call me back. I am still fighting the charges, as I was promised there would be charges for either night.
Incredible and horrendous experience.
April 22, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by DougJay Poor response to request
I had requested a quiet room away from the elevator. Upon arrival I was given room1918 which was 2 doors away from the elevator lobby. When I returned to the desk to ask for a change of room, your clerk gave me 2 choices, either a room on the 3rd floor at the back which he said had freeway noise or room 2014. I of course chose 2014. That however was apparently the wrong choice, because this room is directly underneath a service room for the banquet hall which had a hard floor. 3 out of the 5 mornings I was awakened at 6-6:30 am by footsteps and carts being pushed across a hard floor, not just once but many times. It lasted up to 20-30 minutes. It was impossible to sleepI realize that you will tell me that requests are not guaranteed, but surely with the number of rooms you have it couldn't have been that difficult a task to find a quiet room at or near the end of the hall for me!!! Extremely disappointed!! Worst service at a Sheraton ever.
April 21, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by vikram Worst Sheraton EVER
I am a Platinum SPG and this has to be the WORST Sheraton anywhere in the world.
The Internet is useless. The valets abuse the parking and fill up all the Handicapped. The rooms are OLD OLD OLD. I was in Room 1226 on the SPG floor. The carpets are stained, furniture worn out. The Club Lounge is USELESS.
STAY AWAY from this hotel....
April 20, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Amir50 Universal Sheraton
This is the second time in 3 weeks that I have stayed at this hotel, and both times it was a poor experience. This hotel is not a good idea for a business traveler. The club seems to be open to everyone, because it is always loaded with families and children. Many things don't work! The pool has been closed for awhile now, and elevators make a very load noise, the carpets are in a sad shape. This is the worst kept Sheraton I have ever been to.
April 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DavidG221 professional stay
My staff and I had a Management retreat at the Sheraton Universal. The stay was excellent. We enjoyed the rooms, and the professional conference rooms and services were top notch. I would recommend to all for your professional retreats the Sheraton Universal.
April 17, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Catz51 Disappointed
My complaint is no one from SPG at time of booking informed me that the pool was closed ant that the wireless service was being up dated .
Both of these issues would have led me not to book at this time
I had my son his wife and grand kids with me
The restaurant is in need of an upgrade
All in all a disappointing experience
April 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Enjoytovacation Staff and Accomodations were Excellent
This hotel had a free shuttle to Universal City Walk and Studios. What a great ammenity.
April 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by sfields50 Hotel Staff is exceptional
Hotel staff was professional and helpful even when we requested new bedding in the middle of the night.
April 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Carolinabreakers Loved the location
This hotel was conveniently located to most all of the tourist attractions north of L.A. We were very comfortable and the staff and facilities were most accomodating. Our package was a great value and we would recommend this facility to anyone wanting the Studio City and Hollywood experience.
April 13, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by rpm45 As rundown as the movie stars on the walls
This is my second stay at the Sheraton Universal. My only reason for staying here is the proximity to my customer. The place is run down. There is still no swimming pool. I was put in a room (811) with no shower, no closet an ironing board on the wall and an AC vent that blows right in your face. The rooms are dusty, especially under the glass furniture coverings. The pillows are lumpy. The WiFi is useless. When I complained about the room on check-in, I was told there was nothing that can be done. They would call me the next morning to see if they could switch my rooms. Of course no-one called. I do want to call out the excellent service of Joey at the front desk. Finally someone took the extra effort to find me a "normal" hotel room which made my stay a little nicer. He also gave me access to the Starwood club room. I wish everyone had the same regard for customer service. This place needs a serious updating.
April 13, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by LaurenO Hotel needs updating
Elevators were very slow (waited 10 mins at one point), no clock/radio/iPod charger, clothesline broken, shower dripped
April 13, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Workweek Bathroom was dirty
The bathroom in room 410 was dirty. Counter top had water rings and hair on it at check in.
April 12, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Tina603 loud and uncomfortable
extremely loud at night. uncomfortable bed.
April 11, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by PatrickK WONDERFUL!
I've had the pleasure of staying at this property twice, so far. Once was in December (2013) for the weekend, and my other time was 4/5/14 for two nights. And during each visit, I had the most wonderful experience!
First, the property itself is gorgeous! From the main lobby to the guest rooms, and everything in between. And every staff member I came across was more than helpful. It was so refreshing to see their genuine smiles and their willingness to help in any way they could. A special thanks to all the front desk staff I came in contact with...you were awesome!!
And if you're going to Universal Studios for the day, or have an annual pass to the Park, this hotel is even more perfect to stay in, because they're so close!
This is definitely my hotel of choice whenever I need to stay in the area. Thank you, everyone, for making my experience so wonderful. =)
April 10, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by dog1 senior vp
Small knat-like bugs were flying all over the room, particularly around the bath area.
April 10, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Terrence80 Extremely disappointed
While this review may seem negative, I want to stress that the staff from top to bottom was extremely helpful in addressing my rare issues with a Starwood property. As unacceptable as all these issues were for the price point of my stay, I felt the need to share my issues during my four day stay. While I appreciate this hotel is located near the Universal hotel, I would hope that the managers of the property would invest more in sound-proofing these rooms as to avoid hearing kids running up and down the hallways. Additionally, I had to change rooms because the shower would not drain, the tv in the second room wasn't functioning, and worst...there was an 8" long hair in my cottage cheese during my breakfast. That said, the situation was quickly addressed and the brunch was comp'ed for my (unhealthy) inconvenience.
April 9, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by TVLYEG Great location for visiting Universal Studios
We had a great stay at this hotel. Despite facing south to the freeway we couldn't hear the traffic at all. Beds were comfortable. Nice and close to the metro which we used to go to Staples Center to see a basketball game. Shuttle to Universal was very convenient; however I thought it was odd that the shuttle stopped at 10 pm on a weekend since City Walk is such a great venue that is open late.
April 9, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by UNCfan2013 Terrific hotel in LA
Great hotel. Everyone at concierge desk was terrific. Not only were they helpful, but always enthusiastic. We took the shuttle to CityWalk for dinner several times. Loved having the metro just down the hill - great way to get around the city. It's a steep walk back up to hotel, but the exercise was good. Upgrade to Executive Suite if you can -- large, comfy room and great food in club lounge. Never had an issue with noise. ONLY complaint is overpriced parking fees.
April 7, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by js14 great location
the room was quiet to sleep and great location and staff.
April 5, 2014