Rated 4 out of 5 by LNNJ Not Geared Towards Families
We went for a mini stay-cation with my kids over MLKJr day weekend. Our goal: swim in the pool, watch a movie in the room, eat at the hotel and just play with our kids for a whole day and night. Unfortunately, the Sheraton made this a bit difficult for us.
1. No rooms to suit. We have two young kids that don't sleep well together (one kicks when she's out, the other talks in his sleep). We need two beds for them (ie, one for us, one for one of them and a pull-out couch would be perfect). The only way to get this was to pay to be on the club floor. OK, we were happy to do that since you are paying extra for the club lounge with snacks all day and breakfast too. We figured it was worth it. Nowhere was it advertised that they don't allow kids!!! We almost booked and I just happened to think to call. So - no reason to pay for the extra amenities if they'd let us into the lounge but not the kids! How were they supposed to eat breakfast?? We asked if we could bring breakfast back to our room for them, but no, they wouldn't allow that either. So, we had to stay on a regular floor where there are no extra beds for them. Isn't there a suit, I asked? Yes, there is, it has a pull-out too, but only two people are allowed in there. Now, tell me - what sense is it to have a suite with a pull-out couch that you could never use because they only allow two people?!?!?! Bizarre.
2. The pool area. It was super nice to have an indoor pool for the kids to play in. It's cold, though, in the winter especially, and even after swimming for just a bit you get cold. They keep the temp low for their health club members who want to work out. That's not great for kids, but ok, no problem. We specifically booked this hotel because there is a hot tub by the pool. So the kids could dip in, warm up, and go back to swimming. But wait! Upon getting there we see the big NO KIDS sign at the hot tub. No kids at all. I figured maybe they kept it too hot and were worried about little ones heating up too fast in there, I guess, but no. It's really that they don't want kids around the grown-ups. When I asked if my quiet and extremely well-behaved child could sit by me at the hot tub and dip just his feet in to warm up, the answer was NO. No feet in at all. It has nothing to do with the water, there is a cold tub there too and NO LITTLE FEET IN THE COLD TUB EITHER. It's simply a no-kids allowed policy that makes staying there NO FUN if you have a family. We were EXTREMELY disappointed. No where on the website or anywhere else did it prepare us for the fact that kids just really aren't that welcomed at this hotel.
3. Dinner. So the hotel restaurant was closed (on a Saturday night!!) and we had to eat at their pub. That means loads of tvs with various sporting games on. Our kids don't watch tv almost at all. We wanted to have a nice family dinner and talk to each other. Instead, the tvs sucked them in and it was a constant battle to get their attention back. The food was the next problem. They had stuff on the menu for kids (just no hot dogs or mac-n-cheese) but it was pretty subpar considering the cost. It was all WAY overpriced. We're talking about a $10 grilled cheese sandwich - velveeta on white bread with fries. For grown-ups - $26 for chicken, $34 for steak. And remember, you're sitting in a pub with tvs all around, a bar, and tables that don't even have linens on them. So - where's the pub food? It is not an exaggeration to say that for two adults and two children we ended up paying as much for our dinner than our room! And, no, I didn't order the steak I wanted and only one person had a drink. The rest of us settled for water. Not very family friendly.
The good news: they allow dogs (a BIG plus!!) and breakfast was yummy and totally suited to everyone.
Don't get me wrong. This might be a fine hotel for an adult or a couple, but if you've got kids, just know that they don't really make it very easy on families.
January 21, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by BusinessTraveler97 Needs Improvement
Areas needed for improvement:
(1) my room was not available at check-in time when I was told that it was "guaranteed" to be ready by 3:00 p.m ., where I waited 4 hours for the room at the hotel instead of being immediately switched to another room due to poor communication by the staff, who seemed more inclined to shut down my expressions of frustrations rather than admitting clear errors made;
(2) room service desesert - some fruit had mold on it;
(3) ordered breakfast that took 1.75 hours for delivery (where the food was probably made shortly after I placed my order as the food was cold and potatoes were old and chewy when they arrived); and
(4) terrible work chairs - not ergonomically supportive.
Moldy dessert and delayed breakfast delivery were comped but those types of miss steps should not happen at all.
I may return because of the convenient of the location of the hotel. That is the only reason I recommend this hotel.
January 18, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by TheWhale050 Nice Hotel - Bathroom Issues
Our company has a divisional office nearby and I've stayed here a few times. The rooom was very nice, as was the staff. The problems were in the bathrooom. I'm tall and using the commode was interesting as it appears that it is shorter than a standard height. At least it worked! The other issue was that the tub was clogged, and as I showered, it began filling up with dirty water. I informed the Front Desk and they were very apologetic.
January 16, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by d544 A couple of Issue
Housekeeping was slow to deliver perhaps because it was a weekend.
AC/heating system kept switching between hot/cold. Room got hot ac seemed to kick in and the air smelled
January 14, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Poonam Hotel room service needs improvement
Every time I have stayed here, the room service has been terrible. The room delivery times for dinner has been terrible, ranging from a minimum of 45 mins to 2 hours. The restaurant dining experience isn't much better either. The place desperately needs more or improved staffing.
January 13, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Offal Go only for fitness centre
Average - at best - Sheraton. The one redeeming quality is a 24/7, high-quality, fitness centre.
January 12, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by pgs1travel Hotel is awesome
I am a member of the Atlantis Club as well. The people make this hotel as well as the hotel itself.
January 12, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Fedsales The castle
Should recognize platinum members when they check in
January 11, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by SQBCT Overall Quite Happy
I recently stayed at this hotel for a Cat Show. While the Facility was Guest & Pet Friendly I do have a FEW suggestions...
Refrigerators & Micro's IN-ROOM.. would be REALLY Helpful....I traveled with my 90yr. Mother, & a WHITE PERSIAN....
While the Room, ESPECIALLY UNDER the BED,(where My WHITE Persian chose to Sleep, was SPOTLESS..NOT a SPEC of DUST on HER....NEVER needed to refresh coat.... Th INROOM Comfort would have received the SAME "CUDOS"
IF We were able to have Refrigeration for Meds,Raw Cat Food, & a MICRO for dinner After the late event ending WITHOUT the $30.00 per day Charge.....You see the Resturant is ONLY open for Breakfast, The ONLY FOOD available is the PUB..."WAY TO EXPENSIVE" & REALLY BAD FOOD...Was a LITTLE inconvenient to "GO OUT for Dinner, as You signed a release that You "COULD NOT" leave Your pet alone in room....Would LOSE Both $50.00 Pet DEPOSIT, & HOTEL IF VIOLATION was Discovered, ALSO Management WOULD TAKE PET....SORRY Love the Hotel & Convenience of Show at same Location...BUT NOT POLICY...SORRY...
January 7, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by CJones1932 Good hotel-Room Service needs help
This was a beautiful hotel and the staff was awesome. Only issues were 1)the room svc food delivered to me was cold, 2) the heater is too loud turning off and on! Literally wakes you up out of your sleep and scared me when I was awake. 3) The main door outside the room was very loud when slamming shut so I was awaken from my sleep from that.
January 6, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by VonG Suburb hotel
My first time experience was great, I would deffinately stay there again. My kids loved it just the fact that it is a castle they haven't stop talking about it. Excellent location to get around jersey and New York City. And the amenities are a deffinate plus. thank you sharaton!
January 3, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by JAT1 KING BED & CHECK IN
I REQUESTED A KING SIZE BED ON MY RESERVATION. UPON CHECKING IN NONE WERE AVAILABLE. I WAS NOT HAPPY EVEN THOUGH I WAS TOLD THAT IF I WAITED A 1/2 HR ONE MIGHT BE AVAILABLE. i CHOSE NOT TO WAIT.
CHECK IN LINES WERE TOO LONG AND TIME CONSUMING. THERE SHOULD NEVER BE A CHECK IN LINE.
January 3, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Neededtovent61 No housekeeping
Me and my family stayed three out of four nights at this hotel. We are on our third night with one night to go. i felt the need to write this review based on our stay so far. The first night we checked in late so the room was nice and clean which is why i gave a 4 star in comfort. By the second full night, house keeping had not come in to clean replace towels make the bed(i dont really have a problem making my own bed but if you going to clean and make somebody elses bed in the same hotel, dont overlook someone else paying to stay at that same hotel). We came in on our third night and the bed was not made, the trash cans were full from the two previous nights, no change of towels, no replaced condiments ' etc. the first night they did not clean or do any housekeeping , they gave no reason. We got our own coffee brought up and figured they would not forget another day. By the third night, I called them after they overlooked our room again. They sent up housekeeping to clean our room by the time I was ready to take a shower and lay down to relax. I just asked them to empty the trash cans(which were full), leave some clean towels, and leave some coffee which the lady said she only had decaf coffee. I then called down and. Was told they would find me some coffee and have it brought up.
They brought up enough for three cups of coffee. I drink two. Cups at night and two cups in the morning, not counting what my husband drinks. Three cups. Was not enough. When I asked for more coffee form the front desk, they said they would send some up. When somebody came up, they brought creamer and sugar and told us we already were given coffee in a not really nice manner. Somebody should be told if there is a limit on the amount of coffee you are allowed per day. I then insisted on some more coffee for another three cups. Which was finally brought to us. The rooms is nice and I don't think we asked for anything other than the coffee out of the norm. We got one more full day and night, and I really don't think things will be any different tomorrow as far as past practices go. I never stayed at a place where they don't do some form of housekeeping and this is not a cheap hotel. The staff gave the excuses that they are really busy and that is the reason they have overlooked us the last two days. I don't recommend this hotel , will never stay here again not that it matters to a big hotel chain like Sheraton but I just had to vent , thanks for listening.
January 1, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by laur99 great hotel
Only complaint is that they charge for a refrig, and no microwave in room, good for a weekend away, we have done that numerous times but not for a week, prices for restaurant too high to stay extended.
December 31, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by George1383 Equipmemt operation
The air conditioner/heater was excessively noisy.
December 30, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Stelmark Great stay!
Spent 2 nights at Christmastime and everything was super. Except for the in-room internet which was dreadfully slow, wired and wireless. But hey, let's not quibble.
Room was big and comfy. Club lounge hit the spot and the restaurant couldn't have been better. Looking forward to staying here again, next time through.
December 27, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dee4 Great weekend!
The hotel and room were very clean and comfortable. It was a great weekend stay with my family. The kids really enjoyed the pool!!! Will definitely recommend to friends, family and work colleagues and will look forward to visiting again for work and fun!
December 26, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Demo1 Pool and gym hours
We were disappointed with the pool and gym being closed during our stay. We did not know that the pool was going to be closed for holidays. That was one of the main reasons we wanted to get a room for Xmas eve. To be able to relax and enjoy swimming in and by the pool. Other than that and the gym also be inh closed , we enjoyed our stay and the hotel pub and resteraunt Tipperys.
December 26, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by mmw2012 M&M Wedding
Reservation was for 2 beds but room only had 1 bed. Staff changed room for us promptly and efficiently.
Room rate was very reasonable for area and holiday season.
December 25, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by MOC2013 This hotel is an outrage
I booked my elderly parents for two nights at the Sheraton Parsippany Hotel as a Christmas gift. I paid extra for the handicap room, thinking they would be more comfortable. We arrived about 6:30 PM on Friday evening. There was no one at the front desk. After about ten minutes, I asked the doorman to assist. My parents, at 81 and 82 years old, have difficulty standing for extended periods. The doorman returned after another five to ten minutes. The staff, it seems, were "busy". We finally checked in. I got my parents down a very long corridor to their handicapped room. I found it had no refrigerator for their medications. I returned to the front desk to found out I had to pay $15 additional for a small refrigerator per day because the handicapped rooms do not come equipped with refrigerators. I agreed to the $15 payments, given my poor parents were finally resting. When I returned to the room, I found the pocket door to the bathroom could not be opened even by my able-bodied twenty year old son. Amazing. I returned to the front desk to advise of the issue. I took my parents to the hotel restaurant, the Tipperary Room, for dinner and explained to the front desk manager we would be out of the room for at least two hours. I was assured both the refrigerator and door would be present and working upon our return. The $15/day refrigerator was indeed present in the room upon our return but it was placed in the floor, completely inaccessible to my elderly parents. The bathroom door had not been attended to (or even looked at) by "Engineering" . When I returned to the front desk to ask for a table to raise the refrigerator, the manager explained the problem affecting the bathroom door was "severe" and to be fixed the next morning. I asked the obvious: "Why rent the room when there were known problems?" to which manager responded the bathroom door was not a big issue. Given my parents were again resting, I did not see the need to move them to another room but I should have. The table finally arrived at ten PM, inexplicably late and interrupting my parents' sleep. "Engineering" arrived the next morning at nine, rudely awakening my parents. My parents requested "Engineering" come back in half an hour, which they did. "Engineering" then proceeded to work on the bathroom door until noon, during which time my parents could not utilize their bathroom. They were advised to use the common restroom near the restaurant, on the other side of the hotel (realistically, a football field away). Again, my parents are 81 and 82 years of age. Are these people kidding? What does handicapped mean? What does service mean? What does Sheraton mean? I bought a known brand to ensure a positive experience for my parents and my family. This hotel is an outrage.
December 24, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Beachmama623 Nice rooms beautiful hotel
This hotel is beautiful and the staff are great the rooms are comfortable BUT the heat/air condtioner unit is very loud and kept me up all night. Beds are not the best!
December 24, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by ElliottB Great Staff - Elevator Problems
I stayed at this hotel for a week. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and I was able to get a lot of work done. The one negative of my entire stay was on the morning of the checkout, when the elevator would not come to the fifth floor and I ended up having to drag my suitcase down the stairs. The staff was apologetic as we watched the elevator doors open and close continuously on the 1st floor. An unfortunate end to an otherwise good stay.
December 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Pastorart First Time Guest
My wife and I were amazed at how we were treated. Each staff member we had contact with was extremely kind and respectful. Our room was perfect-could not have been any cleaner. The breakfast we had was excellent and the staff member who served us was very courteous. We have stayed at numerous places over the years and beyond doubt this stay was the very best. Thanks for making our trip go so well.
December 19, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by bbd434 we had a few problems during our stay
We stayed for a week during Thanksgiving and the housekeeping staff didn't clean our room or bring us clean towels twice. When we called the front desk about this they told us they would send someone right away and no one came until next morning. Very disappointing visit. Also they seem to be short of help in the breakfast buffet area. Three times went for coffee and they had none or needed supplies.
December 12, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by jk720 nice stay
staff was friendly and helpful. hotel was clean and well maintained.
December 12, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by GiMM Hotel
The overall stay was not too bad it is like any average stay with no extras. The room was very neat and clean. Large and very comfy. The only thing I did not like was that the maid service kept coming in the room at least 3 to 4 times between 7am and 10am, our check out was at 12pm and we had left early because it was distrubing. We got to the room late and wanted to sleep in and we couldn't.
December 11, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Detroiter Excellent Stay
Key to my hotel stays are fitness center and a good breakfast. The fitness center has been remodeled (finally) and is fantastic! The hotel staff provided exceptional service, especially in the club room - Mary is a gem!
December 9, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by henry55 Top notch
As a "regular" at this Hotel, I am always highly satisfied with the level of service and friendliness of the staff. A really nice, comfortable place to stay with a great pool for kids.
December 6, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Cathy123 not worth the price
I expected that this hotel would be nicer than most because of the exterior. The beds were not the greatest and the television and phone did not work. Internet did not work. They need to make sure that whatever they offer is working.
December 6, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Frog Excellent but...
The room was next to the stairwell. There were many children in the hotel during my stay. It was a game I guess to go up and down the stairs. The door to the stairwell opened and closed constantly and was quite noisy. But, I guess I was a kid once and the price was extremely good. I did not complain.
December 6, 2012