Rated 1 out of 5 by Vlad222222 Can't change sheets
I checked in late on a Friday night and as I was going to bed I realized there was a large body stain in the middle of my bed. As I was tired of traveling, I put a towel over it and slept on the side of the bed. Next morning I called room service and asked them to change the sheets when they cleaned the room. I went out for the day, got back around 4 and saw that my bed was made but the sheets still had the stain. Called room service again and they said they would fix. I go out for the day, come back to my room at 11pm to go to sleep and what do I see... The bed was made again but THE STAIN WAS STILL THERE. I called the front desk to complain and they told me to come down to the lobby. The manager apologized to me and told me it would take about 20 minutes to change my sheets (I offered to do it quicker). After a sleep on the lobby couch I finally couldn't wait any longer and headed up to the room to find out the sheets were finally changed. Next day checking out there was no mention of the incident nor any attempt to compensate for it. The most basic function of a hotel is a clean place to sleep and this Sheraton FAILED 3 TIMES. Also, the key cards didn't work very often and the room was extremely musty. I would not stay here again and seriously question Sheraton's standards.
October 28, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by RioFun Items for the Hotel to Improve Upon and Good Things to Keep Doing
1. There is an intense musty smell once the elevator doors open onto the room floors - needs to be eliminated. Maybe tile instead of carpeting?
2. Wooden doors in room attract bugs, which were not cleaned out. Change doors.
3. Bathroom needs a fan to move the moist air around.
4. Electric light switches are confusing. In our room, Switch #1 turned on two lights, but only turned off one light. Switch #2 did nothing (we observed).
5. Clean out sofabed/couches more often.
6. Provide information on nearest small grocery. We had a small kitchenette and would have liked to use it more.
7. Carpet in room smelled musty. While this is expected being so close to the ocean, it would seem that the hotel room would then be all tile to avoid any smells and germs accumulating.
8. The second TV had no sound.
9. Corners and upper portions of walls need to be dusted. Cobwebs and some bug leftovers were visible.
10. Clearer directions for getting taxis out in front of hotel would be helpful.
1. AMAZING food and service at the pool area!
2. WONDERFUL Pool area!
3. Main lobby is tremendous! Spacious, clean and with lots of areas to have quiet conversations. Great design!
4. Quick check-in!
5. Easy parking!
October 26, 2015
Rated 1 out of 5 by Nuno36 This hotel is the worst sheraton I had ever been
The room is very old, not clean. Almost 3 days without hot water. Brakfast is very bad. It's a shame for Starwood.
The price over 250€ / night for an hotel like this?????
May 5, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by gobera Nightmare with SPG
1. My reservation in Sheraton Rio was incorrectly registered. Paid with my SPG points and they did the reservation for October, instead of April. I lost the whole day with my family (coming from overseas) trying to find a room.
I was finally assigned to Sheraton Barra. Got an old room which went all wet when the AC was turned off. To round a nightmare stay, we found a coucrouch over the bed the next morning.
Even though the night was "paid" with points, I was charged because they could not make the points cross charge. Got a 30% discount for the "inconveniences".
I am a Platinum SPM member and had a terrible experience. It was uncredibly frustrating to lose such time and money when you are only staying one night.
I was promised in writing a reimbursement of $300US. I really hope it happens.
April 22, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Mocainbrazil Tired hotel having had no investment over the past 3 years
It has been 3 years since I had stayed at this hotel and I hoped that the World Cup and Olympics were a catalyst for investment, no such luck! All the rooms and common areas have not had any work over the intervening period. The rooms have always been damp and this is still the case but now the carpets and furniture look very tired and the bathrooms are 2 star with an added sprinkling of mould. The hotel room had been booked for a conference but at the weekend I could check out, so I did and went to far better hotel in Ipanema. The positives are the buffet lunches and the reception staff are very polite. However check your bill carefully, 50% of conference attendees had errors on their bills. Honestly I am a little surprised Sheraton puts its name to the hotel.
April 12, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Matt21 Not up to standard
We checked in the day after Carnival to one of the King Suites. As soon as you get off the third floor the entire floor smells of mold and then you get into the room and that smells of mold as well. The curtains have black mold on them and it was so bad we had to open up the windows to get the smell out. We then go down to the SPA to get a 2 hour couple massage. The woman who give the massage have no idea what they are doing and gave us a 1 hour and 20 minute half massage have scrob down and then stop. We had to ask for a partial refund because of this. They then ask us to shower next to the pools and my wife informs me not only are both womans showers broken, but 1 doesnt have a door and both are extremely unclean. For a Sheraton hotel this is entirely unacceptable. To pay $RSL1000 for a moldy rool and then $RSL 600 for a massage in which the woman dont know what they are doing and then have us shower in showers that dont work is completely unacceptable. The staff at the pool, front desk, and room service are nice but the room and spa completely ruined the entire experience. Due to this I would never stay here again.
March 9, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by AndrewBrooklyn Nice, quiet location
Rio is pretty busy city. But location of this hotel is really great. It is a little bit far from the city center, but the hotel is located at the front of the beach.
I got comfy room (nice upgrade). Staff was professional and friendly.
August 23, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by rundowninRio one of the few option in Barra da Tijuca
the hotel has changed very little since it was inaugurated (I lived in RJ for 7 years). On one of my most recent stays I actually took pictures of torn drapes, rusty hangers, burned furniture, etc. I received a letter from the local manager indicating they were improving. went back last week, everything is exactly the same. As long as option are limited in Barra hotel won't change.
July 1, 2013