Rated 5 out of 5 I love this hotel, even if it's far from downtown
I travel to Kona for business regularly. And I always book here because of the views, the bar (rays on the bay is fun), and the room.
The views are spectacular, and manta rays hunt infront of the bar at night becase of the light the hotel uses to draw the plankton. The bar is lively with live music nearly every night. The food is OK, but the experience is great!
Con's - the lay out of the hotel means that getting to some rooms in Building 4 can be a major trek
- The hotel is not close to the downtown area where all the tourist traps are. You will need a care to even get to the shopping village for supplies.
Otherwise the hotel pretty much has all you will need. It is located about 20 minutes away from the airport so plan accordingly.
June 17, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 Summary Statement
The staff members were universally friendly, helpful, and efficient.
June 17, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Lisa22 Excellent getaway
The room was very comfortable and stylish. We watched the surf from our balcony which was relaxing and enjoyable. Rays at the Bay offered a good selection of meals and the opportunity to watch boat charters viewing the Manta Rays.
June 16, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 This place is only a Sheraton in name
We stayed at this Sheraton for a week in May 2013. While the hotel is at a beautiful location, it has some serious issues.
- No staff at the front desk. The three times I needed them (including for check-in) there was nobody to be found.
- The hotel is pretty dated, it's clean, but there are sections where there's plaster falling off the roof. I think they're in the midst of updating it, at least I hope so.
- Even though the hotel was pretty empty, they gave us a room on a floor that had a scheduled (!) electricity outage during our stay. Additional issue: they didn't tell us prior to the outage. When we called to complain they matter of factly stated that it was a scheduled outage and that they alerted us, which was not true.
- Don't get a room near the stairs. There are no silencers on the doors and on the weekends the place is overrun by local teenagers who like to run up and down the stairs and across the hallways (why, I do not know). The sound of slamming doors gets old really fast.
- The bathroom was not clean. There were hairs on the walls. Same hairs were there all week, and are probably still there.
- Standing water (it hadn't rained recently) on the balcony. We called for someone to clean this. We're still waiting for that person to show up.
- Bar staff is very nice, and the pool is nice. The pool can get a little busy on the weekends, as the locals come hang out there too.
- Rays on the Bay is a great restaurant, too bad it's part of this place.
There are other resorts close to this one. I cannot recommend this place in good conscience, There are too many great places to waste your money here.
I sent my list of issues to the hotel and they replied that they appreciate my feedback, and are sharing the info with the appropriate teams. After reading reviews of other guests that ran into issues, this seems to be the standard reply. It would be good, if they don't just share the feedback internally, but actually make some changes. That doesn't seem to happen though.
May 29, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 Our vacation
I loved the pool. Dinner with the "Ray's" was very memorable. All the staff was friendly. The fitness room was one of the best I have been in. The only neg was the additional $30 a day for water and internet service.
June 15, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Kanoe8599 Staycation-Lapa Ohana
We only stayed for 1 night. But thats all it took to have a memorable experience at the Seraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou. I can surely say that this was the first time we stayed by not the last. Your staf from checkin to checkout and everything in between was so helpful and willing to go that extra mile. We checked in around 11:30am and your front desk clerk was so kind to let us check into the room at that time. When we went up to the room I couldn't operate the aircondition, so I called the front desk and the maitenance staff was at my door less then 5mins. So awsome. My Ohana enjoyed the pool, that was wonderful. Next day I called to request a later checkout and I was able to checkout at 2pm. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated that cause my Ohana could again enjoy your pool before we checked out. Then at checkout, your front desk clerk was awsome. A smile that never went away. Sometimes just a smile can make a whole difference. Mahalo for a wonderful stay. We will be back for sure.
June 15, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by A1Traveler Needs more work
After an extensive remodel, the hotel is very nice, but the staff needs work. They did their job, but were not friendly and did not go out of their way to fill your stay with aloha. Only 1 restaurant open per meal and you are far from outside eateries. The poolside help was more concerned about making sure we had armbands than with the services we asked for. It just wasn't our idea of paradise.
June 13, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Ziggy49 Nice peaceful and serene.
We totally enjoyed our stay at this location...it was beautiful. My wife still remarks that of all the hotels we stayed at during our 2 weeks in Hawaii..(3 in total) the beds at this hotel were by far the best. We would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a restful spot to vacation at.
June 12, 2013