Rated 3 out of 5 by Koala25 Excellent staff, let down by infrastructure/management
Located centrally in Essen, with rooms overlooking the park. Adjacent to Philharmie Essen.
Unfortunately, during my stay, too many small things went wrong:
1) At check-in, was 'upgraded' to a superior room. Unlike other Sheratons, there are no additional amenities, not even slippers or dressing gown. Promptly provided when asked, though not required as also available in fitness area.
2) Offered late check-out and advised that keycard was programmed until 1600 on day of departure. However, I was locked out at 1530 and had to ask for reprogramming.
3) Steam room/saune - Many tiles on seats were breaking off and need re-gritting. Flickering lights in steam room. Long intervals between steam episodes. Room completely demists and was cold before steaming restarts. Music in relaxation area played for one cycle and then stopped. Duty Manager attempted to reset the steam room/music, but same problem happened again after two cycles. Showers flooded to changing rooms after used by three people.
4) Dinner in restaurant - Food was of a good standard. None of the red wines on the menu were available and all the red wines in the cellar were not on the menu! Serving staff were very apologetic - wine menu changes should be communicated to serving staff.
5) Told during check-in that wifi was free due to booking on spg.com. This was then billed for at checkout. Had to ask for it to be removed.
The staff were exceptional - I'd happily hire any one of them. They were attentive, responsive and all had a desire to help. Due to glitches, they spent most of the time apologizing!
April 16, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Faisal09 This hotel has great internet service
I liked the internet service in hotel. It is fast but bit expensive for having facility in room.
Breakfast is great and staff is very friendly in restaurant.
March 9, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Mack2T Review
Good service from the Staff
January 15, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by sjbdavos Friendly staff
The friendliness at reception at check-in and check-out, and the sociability of staff in the bar made one feel like a sincerely welcomed guest.
October 14, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by niddy Nice hotel, fantastic staff
The hotel offers great service, very comfortable beds (like in every Sheraton hotel) and fantastic staff. Whatever you need they serve you. I will be glad to come back for the next business trip.
September 27, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by JimmyN My worst hotel experiance in Essen
As a business user i have stayed at many hotels in Essen. This particular hotel is the worst i have stayed in by far.
As a business user i expect certain standards, what i don't expect is to have to move furniture to access electric points for my laptop and phone. I expect a safe in the room, i also expect the room to be modern.
The bathroom was modern, however the rest of my room was like walking back in time to the 1980's, complete with badly wallpapered rooms.
When i return to Essen again on business i will choose another hotel.
August 29, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by swarf Good standard as usual
As has always been the case, a very good and comfortable visit to the Sheraton in Essen, good location, excellent staff and service.
July 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Nickname4318564 Great Hotel, but Wi-Fi never worked
The Sheraton in Essen is an all around nice hotel. And normally the staff is very helpful. During this trip, I was unable to log into the Wi-Fi network. Each day, I would visit the front desk who'd promise they'd have someone look into why I can't access the Wi-Fi. Even though I asked them daily about it, they were never able to fix it. In fairness, they provided me a 24-hour temporary code to access the WiFi, so at least I was functional; but it was still annoying to have visit the desk daily, and be promised a fix when one never came.
July 13, 2014