Rated 5 out of 5 by iaaylz A Very Enjoyabl Experience When You Come With the Right Expectations
The hotel is nicely located at the west end of the famous Yalong beach, and it’s adjacent to the marina and yacht club. The guest could potentially arrive via waterway if needed. There are well appointed sun beds, cabanas, as well as nice decks, pathways, etc. along the private beach of the hotel. The hotel gardens and villas are marvelously designed. There are swimming pools all around. One of the large pools was heated to 30°C which makes it very comfortable to swim even in the coldest days. The only thing that makes this hotel looks somewhat lacking the St. Regis classiness was those bright yellow colored multi-story columns on the main building and wings.
There are many staffs on the property, and all of them are very friendly and eager to help. You may get 3-4 different people helping but wouldn’t know who suppose to be your butler. I was disappointed that on the day of departure, someone at the front desk rang me at around 2pm (woke me up from my afternoon nap) asking me to check out, disregarding the fact that I was confirmed to check out at 4pm.
Guest rooms are quite large and very comfortable. In room amenities are exactly what you would have expected from a St. Regis. However, privacy could be tricky. From your patio, you may get not only have a good view of the ocean, the garden, the pools, but also a very clear view of some other guest rooms. Since the bathtub is located on the patio through transparent glasses, you could enjoy a nice ocean view while taking a bath, however, only if you don’t mind showing off yourself to others at the same time.
Be careful when using the glass teapot in your room. The stainless steel lid does not have a knob on it, by design. So it’s a challenge trying to open it to add hot water when the teapot is already hot. I raised this issue to one of the managers already and he acknowledged the problem and promised to address it in the near future.
Breakfast at the Social is very nice. Try to get a table outside. Sitting in the morning sun with water fountains around you is a real delight - you will also have a great view of the ocean and the palm tree lined garden. Just to level set the expectations – it’s a buffet breakfast with a variety of selections as would expect from a St. Regis, but there is nothing outstanding as far as the food itself is concerned.
Fine dinning at the Driftwood Seafood Restaurant is highly recommended. This restaurant is at a separate structure near the beach. All the key ingredients were imported from different places around the world, and the head Chef is a German. This restaurant really exceeded my expectations. The food is absolutely excellent and the restaurant manager is very attentive.
The hotel is designed to be kids friendly - playground and Children’s room are very spacious and with abundance of materials that could keep the little ones entertained.
Overall, with some fine tuning, I believe this hotel could be one of top three most exquisite hotels in Sanya. I would recommend this hotel – just come with the right expectations.
December 20, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Hectorin Amazing resort!
St. Regis Sanya is top notch and super luxurious. The rooms are among the best I have ever stayed in, and I travel a lot all over the world. Gorgeous bathrooms that are a dream and huge! Very modern and yet elegant style, amazing views of the water to boot. My family and I stayed here for 7 days in July and we loved it- the staff was super friendly and very helpful (especially Candy and Jax, as well as Marcos who is director of foods and beverages) -- they treated us like royalty from the start. The only possible area for improvement is to have more staff that speak better Engiish or at lesat understand the language-- some staff members spoke no English at all- but they were still very nice and we apprciated them nonetheless. We would love to stay here again and recommend this hotel to everyone, especially if price is not an issue (it can get very pricy, especially the food and drinks). In short, St. Regis Sanya is among the best luxury resorts in the world!
July 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by KCYH The best location on Yalong bay
The St Regis Yalong Bay is probably my favourite hotel in Hainan so far.
It has the perfect location because its on the end of Yalong Bay and is right next to the mountains separated by a lot of palm trees from the resort next door. It also has a marina in the back which means the hotel is surrounded by water.
I stayed in their marina view room which is the standard there and it was very impressive. When you step out onto the balcony you have water and mountain views. The room has a bathroom that is nearly half the size of the entire room itself! The in room sound system with iPod dock was very good too, it actually has a sub woofer built into the cabinet with two speakers and since no one was around I turned it up pretty loud. The internet was free.
The butler service is available for all rooms, you have a butler window next to the door. You can leave your laundry or shoes in there, press a button, they will clean and polish everything then return it without disturbing you. My butler even went to the city and bought me a specific cold medicine on her day off which shows how good the service really is.
December 19, 2011
Rated 2 out of 5 by MinMommy Western Service Lacking
Crab cakes with no crab! Mojito drink with no mint leaves, substituting Creme de Menthe....ick! Vegetable and Feta cheese sandwich with no Feta cheese. Very much Western 5 star Hotel Extortion prices for food but no discount for key missing ingredients. Complaints met with extreme confusion with limited English. Painful 5 days of Hotel Eating. Wanted to cry at the final bill as none of these pricey meals was memorable. Getting to restaurants outside of the hotel very difficult.
April 8, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by SFedward Great Vacation Experience!`
Sunny (General Manager) and his staff took great care of us during our 3 nights stay at the resort during the busy Qingming holiday weekend.
As a 15 year SPG member and the past 7 years as a Platinum member, they upgraded us to a Beach Villa despite us staying this time solely with points.
This hotel is new thus not everything was working like a well-oiled machine but it is clear that in due time, it will be the best resort in Hainan.
April 4, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by BPCTraveller St. Regis?? Could be a knockoff
My wife, two children and I booked one week at the St. Regis, Sanya for annual vacation. We do not get much holiday time, so we wanted a great room with a full Ocean View to enjoy ourselves.
The staff at St. Regis are very friendly and try to be helpful, but their hands are tied to a property that simply does meet global standards of a five star hotel as a result of management and the property itself. There is a lot of lip service to trying to be helpful, but really slow action to remedy issues. The website also falsely represents the rooms. This is a serious problem as having stayed at St. Regis around the globe I have never seen complete and utter false representation of rooms. Here are the facts of our stay:
1. check in staff very nice, but not properly trained to use credit card system. As a result check in took 20 minutes with staff keep asking for another credit card saying mine was declined. Eventually she figured out to check us in using the card provided;
2. We reserved Royal Villa which was confirmed in writing as "Full Ocean View". The first room provided had highly obstructed ocean view and full view of marina. They changed our room, but it was not a full Ocean View, but partial. None of the Royal Villa's have Full Ocean View as advertised on the Starwood website. The picture they post on the website cannot exist or was taken before the Marina was constructed that now obstructs the view. None of the staff seem to think this is important. Although the hotel charges for this room 10,000 RMB about USD $1,600 per night. All the staff just laugh when I tell them this and they all confirm "yes sir it is not full ocean view".
3. When we checked in the floors were very dirty. I took a small white cloth and wiped it on the floor and it came back black. The hotel remedied this when they changed our room.
4. The first morning we want to the breakfast buffet at 9:30 am. I called the hotel to service the room while we were gone. We arrived at the only restaurant for breakfast and lined up until 10:20 for a table. I have never had to line up at a St. Regis or for that matter any Starwood property for breakfast. The buffet is simply very very average.
5. Each Buffet table also has an off putting sign. Everyone has their choice about helping people around the world in various financial circumstances, but St Regis seems very sanctimonious with these words: "There are still many people suffering from hunger all over the world. Please be considerate when taking food from the buffet..."
6. I had requested to check out early simply because it seems rather shocking to reserve a full ocean view and not get what was reserved, but there is no manager that will take responsibility for changing our reservation and the duty managers say you cannot check out early. Every manager that has talked to me says "I don't have the authority to change your reservation". They keep saying we will do anything we can to make your stay enjoyable, but they cannot or will not simply give us the room we reserved as it simply does not exist at this hotel. Normally if you sell something and you know you cannot provide it this is a fraudulent misrepresentation under the law. A serious matter in the Western World.
7. the hotel has many renovations going on currently. Behind our room a backhoe ran all day on our arrival. The main swimming pool is pulled apart in a key corner and dirt and debris from the renovation spill into the pool. As a result the main swimming pool is not clean.
All in all this property seems to have friendly staff, but they do not deliver at all what they promise and seem more concerned about securing payment than really providing the level of service and quality that St. Regis brand stands for. I would suggest it be rebranded Sheraton 4 Points , barely qualifies however.
July 28, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by bill nice hardware and location but the service...
Hotel is situated at a nice location and the facility is equipped with some very good hardware. As to the service, it is really subpar to say the least.
Upon arrival, there was no one in the lobby to greet the guest. The staff at check-in/check-out desk was inexperience and poorly trained. No offer standard greeting gift for platinum member. When I asked for late check-out, it was declined initially without checking membership status. The day we check-out, hotel staff showed up 30 minutes late to help with the luggage after 2 calls (not counting the call I made in the morning to request that). Our stay overlapped with Bo'ao Asia Forum. There was traffic control due to security reason. To go to the airport, everyone had to take hotel shuttle bus to the security checkpoint which is about 5-10 min away from hotel. I requested a day earlier for hotel car waiting for us at checkpoint to take us to airport. When we got there, no hotel car was available!? AND there were a group of unknown drivers (not taxi driver, they claimed they worked for a different hotel nearby) they tried to strong-arm us to use their service and threatened the hotel staff not to interfere!
All in all, I am extremely disappointed with the service. I have never stayed in a St. Regis that is this bad...
April 8, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by chanb The Standard ?
My wife and I planned a week long get-away to our favorite hotel brand the "St. Regis".
Although tolerance is usually expected for newly opened hotel, seriously lacking the exquisite St. Regis service makes my holiday a memorable one in a disaster way.
To name a few,
I wasn't greeted by my butler during or after my check-in, actually no one ever introduced himself as my butler anyway. When I called for service, around 5-6 different people dropped by, I guess probably one of them will be my butler.
The first thing I saw in my room is a dead cockroach in the center of the bath room. Shortly after, 2 guys rang the door bell, and opened the door right after, which caught my wife by surprise. After that another service man came over to apologize and asked if we are checking out....
Despite all the unpleasant surprises, the F&B's lived up to the brand's high standard. "Social", and "Ming" is a recommendable diner.
While we expect to end the day with a pleasant mood, we found ourselves sweating in our room, and the air-con shows 25 degree for the whole night. After talking to the duty manager, he said that they will turn off the cooling system when outside temperature drops to 24.5 degree. He said he's sorry, and he can't turn on the cooling. I have seen this a lot in lower ranking hotels in China, and I could never expect this to happen in a St.Regis. I always believe hospitality is one of the core value of this brand, but I am not offered the choice of air-con in this St.Regis.
My mood is spoiled, so is my vacation,and I will not recommend this hotel to anyone in the foreseeable future.
December 6, 2011