Rated 1 out of 5 by JRDD Not up to standards!
I was greatly disappointed with my recent westin experience at the Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto. In many ways it was not up to the standards I've come to expect from Westin.
Let me start with the room:
- A distinct and horrible mildew smell permeated the room. Most of which was coming from the bathroom area. In fact, the smell was so horrible in the bathroom I could barely spend any time in there without holding my breath.
- Upon use, it was clear the drains in both sink and bath were severely clogged, backing up water. I imagine this was the cause of the horrible mildew smell. Clearly they never clean the drains out.
- Hot water was non-existent and I took showers both days with lukewarm water. On occasion throughout showering and with no forewarning, the water would run completely cold for upwards of 1-2 minutes.
- "Heavenly Shower" HA! Only one of the showerheads worked, the other was clogged.
- The bathroom was maintained in a substandard fashion, as no bath supplies, other than soap, were placed there during my entire stay. The magnifying mirror was loose and rickety. The countertop water-spotted and dirty.
- The room temperature could not be regulated and was constantly overly warm, no matter how much I turned down the temperature on the thermostat.
- The heat/air system was extremely noisy.
- The room was not overly clean, as there were spots on the ceiling and marks on the walls.
- The Mizzen Restaurant in the hotel was mediocre. Food was average and fruits and vegetables were not fresh.
- The Staff in the Mizzen restaurant was rude and not accomodating, in fact, the greeter was placing everyone clumped in tables next to each other in the back of the restaurant (its a large space). When she was asked by a guest if they could move closer to the front of the room, she was overheard to say "NO, those are reserved", yet during the entire time in the restaurant NO ONE ever sat in the area near the front or further deep into the restaurant.
- The prices in the restaturant were OUTRAGEOUS for substandard food. $18 CAD for a bowl of "seasonal fruit" that had a few pieces of unripe melon, unripe pineapple and four sour strawberries is ridiculous.
All I can say is DO NOT go to this hotel if you want the standard Westin service.
December 10, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Chat08 The standards at this hotel have declined significantly.
We were looking forward to our stay but unfortunately the hoetl did not meet our expextations. We had a Murphy bed which did not have the wonderful comfort that I have come to expect at this hotel. Some of the emmenities were missing from the room such as shampoo and I believe a robe. Sean was fantastic at trying to make up for these problems but it is unlikely that we will stay at this hotel again.
May 29, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by SeanMTX Nice hotel with good location. Too bad the fees are outrageous.
The hotel itself is nice, with good staff and welcoming decor. The rooms were sufficient (my room was very warm, so I had to turn off the AC and open a window).
The main problem I have here is the cost of eating/drinking in the hotel. While I expect to pay a small premium for staying to dine in the hotel, I never expected a $65 CDN bill for 2 breakfasts! Or a $5.65 club soda (out of a gun, not a bottled premium beverage). To add insult to injury, there were no refills on the soda.
I and a colleague had a total of 7 beers, 1 entree and 1 appetizer in the lobby...to the tune of $158CDN. Absolutely outrageous.
March 23, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by kktravel good location and service
Checked in with heavy bags for a meeting - went up to room - key wouldn't work - had to go back down to lobby with all my bags - at least 5 people in line to check-in so i went to Concierge with no line - the girl there took my key into the back and came back within 5 minutes with it reset. Great.
Had to use the facilities by the time i got in my room - lifted lid and hair on toilet seat and quite a bit on floor of bathroom - also next morning quite a large clump sitting in tub on top of drain. Kind of gross!
Anyway - it wouldn't deter me from staying again just thought the cleaning of the bathroom could have been way better.
June 12, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bruce1355 Old Tired Hotel with very poor service
1. No plug for the Tub, when we called front desk they did not seem to care and we never did get to use the tub
2. We received key to our room and went up in the elevator only to find no room existed called to front desk and they were rude telling me that there were two towers and we had gone up the wrong tower as though I should have known
3. Bathroom Door was very noisy as a result had to leave it open during the night
4. Grill over the bathroom exhaust fan was hanging down from the ceiling
5. One of swivel switch on the table light missing
6. Air conditioning fan was very noisy so either put up with noise, not sleep or be hot
7. Red lights on the phone started flashing at 5 am that woke us up, and it was hotel flashing to tell us invoice was ready, went down to front desk to tell them how disruptive it was and never did anything about turning it off
8. We had to clean the room of dust and dirt behind the TV and other areas that took little extra care to clean
9. Room did not look like a deep cleaning had been done for a very long time
10. Having a drink in the bar around 11 pm with a number of us that were attending conference moved chairs to be able to chat together, bar tender told us we could not move the chairs as a hotel policy most of us got up and left not finishing our drinks
11. I had call twice to make the room reservations and change in arrival dates each time I confirmed with them I required two adjoining rooms, on arrival they did not have information correct and only when I asked about other Hotels in the area to go to did they get a manager out to get us what we had asked for. Did not receive confirmation by email for the room reservation
12. At the banquet dinner which cost me $116.00 the steak was so over done it was dry and tasteless. The desert dishes were actually dropped in front of us without asking what we wanted for desert. No coffee after dinner, and some of the plates were picked up off the table before they finished eating
13. One of the people at our table told them clearly that she could not have sea food on her plate, but the dinners were dropped on the table and we had to sort out who order what and she had to send her meal back as all dinners had shrimp on them. After a very long time she received her meal long time later and ended up finishing her meal while desert was being served
14. Our breakfast buffet ran out of eggs and bacon which took very long time to be refilled and was over stocked with all kinds of muffins and such
15. The staff raced to clean up so they could presumably go home
16. When got my car back from $ 40.00 per day charges it was filthy had to stop on way home at a car wash
17. Week before that had put up one of my clients overnight in the Detroit Air Port Westin Hotel and service; room and everything was wonderful would have rated it a 5 star Hotel
June 20, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Carbar24 Excellent service and comfortable room.
We stay at the Harbour Castle 2-3 times a year. On both of our recent stays November and December 2013 we have no complaints. Check-in has been quick and the staff members courteous and acknowledged our patronage as SPG members. Both David and Carmela took very good care of us at check ins. Upgraded us to lake view rooms and internet. These added touches make our stay even better and make us feel like valued, loyal guests. We have also had drinks at the lobby bar, service again excellent and polite staff. Love the spicy complimentary snacks at the bar. Bellman also courteous and quick. We will continue to choose this location when staying in downtown Toronto .
December 7, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Jlm12 Huge disappointment
I have stayed at the Weston Harbour Castle at least 50 times over the past 8 years. It has been over 6 months since my last stay and this one experience has ruined my view of the hotel. I was greeted rudely at the Elite Starwood reception desk. Our room was dank and unwelcoming. After a long day we were exhausted but could not sleep due to the loud whistling air conditioner. I did speak to a manager who was unhelpful and spent the majority of the call making excuses. I'm a Starwood gold member, and I am supposed to get 3:00 checkout. When requested it was refused to me. I would hate to see how they treated a first time guest!
August 15, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by deepvisual worst service in my career
quite simply the worst service I have ever had in a hotel.
I was checked into the wrong room, so couldn't access the internet.
I then tried for 45 mins to call reception but only got an engaged tone. In the end I went down, queued for ten minutes and finally got dealt with.
except nothing happened. I was told to enter someone else's name, but not how to spell it.
I went downstairs a total of 4 times to complain about the phone not working and each time was promised action which never materialised. On the final time, I made it clear it was the worst hotel I ever stayed in. Still nothing.
The whole time I was polite and patient, but to no avail. Shocking service.
October 30, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by charlottemi Very helpful staff
I really appreciated the responsiveness of the staff. From getting me a feather free room, or a gluten free meal, to helping me find where I needed to go, the staff was gracious and helpful. The rooms were spacious and comfortable as well as having a lovely view.
May 31, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Hemmy33 Westin Harbour Castle - November 2012
The overall impression that I had of the facility was positive. The location is great if you want to go for a run by the lake however it is a 15 minute walk to get to any of the action in DT Toronto. My room was tidy however it was in need of some general repairs (paint peeling from the ceiling in the bathroom and the light over the shower did not work which meant you had to prop the door open in order not to shower in the dark). The staff was friendly and accomodating however I left my IPOD in the room and it has been more than 48 hours and still have not received a call from lost and found after leaving 2 messages.
November 7, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Korbin123 This hotel has great conference rooms.
The hotel food was average and the food, beverages and parking were over priced. The staff were pleasant and accommodating.
June 1, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by moncar I always like staying at this hotel
When we were at the Westin Harbour Castle last Sunday, two of our sons also had rooms. We are the only one with a SPG card, and we have Gold status. I was very dissapointed to hear that we paid at least $50.00 more for our room than our sons did. We had requested a room with a comfy chair since my husband sometimes can't sleep in the bed. Is an armchair worth $50.00? The only way we could get this chair was to book a Junioe suite. The only difference between our room and that of our son, Kevin , was the armchair. His room was considerably less and he is not a SPG member. Please tell me what good our gold status is?
May 26, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by CPTMORGAN Restaurant
A party of about 7 of us went back to the hotel for lunch only to find the Mizzen not open. The sign to the left of the restaurant entrance showed no change in the hours of operation and there was no other signage advising that the restaurant was not open for business, whether it was a temporary or permanent change, etc.
May 26, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Marcosramos54 Excelente star
I would like to thank THE hotel staff ON MY arriaval 30 May, specially the gentle attention from mr GERRARD.
May 31, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by MomsDayConcert2014 Excellent stay
Everything was top notch from the moment we pulled into the parking garage. Staff was attentive and courteous.
Check in was great and we even managed to get a room with a lake view.
Room was clean, spacious and quiet.
My only complaint if I were to have one is having to pay for in room wifi. Wifi was complimentary in the lobby so was fine just not as convenient.
Overall, we are extremely pleased we chose the Westin Harbour Castle and will definitely return.
May 13, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by RevBob1962 Front desk welcome was outstanding
From check-in to check-out we were treated as welcome guests in a comfortable home. The room was ready early and was clean and neat. Questions were answered promptly and staff could not have been more accommodating, even to enrolling us in the SPQ program. The breakfast seemed slightly overpriced, but the selections and variety were good.
May 22, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Unhappy Are you kidding?!
We made the huge mistake of booking during March break - no pool or hot tub use available as it was overrun by kiddos.
The add- on fees were astronomical -$17/day for WiFi. What?! $27 for the breakfast buffet that is comparable to the free buffet offered at lesser priced hotels.
We had a couple minor issues that became big problems due to the lack of response by the staff. After a number (5) conversations we were credited 2 nights accommodation - but not really because $800 in charges later we have had to put a stop payment on our visa. Now off the the telephone for more time dealing with the Westin HC's pathetic excuse for customer service.
So much for a relaxing vacation!
March 18, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Luvtrvl Very tired, old, poorly maintained
This is the worst Westin I have ever stayed at and I'm a platinum member. The hotel is in a superior location and has amazing views of Lake Ontario. The hotel is poorly maintained (we had to switch rooms because the first assigned room was dirty and looked like it hadn't been dusted in weeks.). The hallways and rooms are in dire need of painting. The bathrooms are old and very small. The carpet in our "suite" was nasty and shredded near the entrance to bathroom and opening door. The wallpaper was bubbled in places and furniture scraped. Not a good representation for Westin quality. I wouldn't use your suite awards for this place as the room was not of "suite" size nor quality.
August 5, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by rahul74 Great View, Horrible Shower
Good location, comfortable beds, no pressure in the shower and some of the staff could use an attitude check. probably will never stay there again
May 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Rollingjones Service in this hotel was excellent
I have stayed in top hotels all over the world so it's a little hard to surprise me but Westin Harbour Castle did just that! From check-in with Sean, who went out of his way to ensure I had a nice room, to the room service which was extremely quick and efficient to the room service menu which had very healthy food. I had a bad cold and really needed a place to stay warm and comfortable for my demanding trip. Not only did I get that but I also had a perfect view of the lake and nourishing food which helped make a tough business trip much better. Thanks to the staff at Westin for being so good at what you do!
February 26, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Zed51 Great Hotel Wonderful views
We stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle for 5 nights in May to celebrate my 70th Birthday. Upon arrival there was a queue at reception with only one receptionist on duty who was dealing with a guest that seemed to be being quite difficult and taking a lot of time. After quite a long wait another receptionist appeared from the back & we eventually got checked in, not really a good start to our break. But on arrival in our room things improved, we had a lovely King corner room overlooking the lake, it was very spacious & clean with free bottled water which was very nice. What would have been nice is to have had free Wi-Fi access in the room but we had to pay for it & was quite expensive. We are not in to downloading things it was just to keep in touch with family back home, we did try going down to the lobby to use it but the hotel was very busy & there was know where to sit. We found the Concierge and most of the other staff to be very friendly and helpful, unfortunately the lady in the shop we found not too friendly, I purchased something & on giving her a $5 note which was a bit torn & stuck with sellotape she point blank refused to take it in a not too friendly manner & insisted I give her another one. (I took it to a bank & they said there was no reason for it not to have been accepted)
When we were waiting to leave to return to England a member of staff called Victoria stopped & spoke to us & asked if we had enjoyed our stay we said yes & I told her we had come to celebrate my 70th Birthday, she asked if the hotel had done anything for me & I said no, & she asked if they were aware of it, I said yes as our travel agent who booked the room put it on their initial reservation & I also told the receptionist on checking in. Victoria was a little upset about this & told us not to go away, she would be back, which she did carrying 2 glasses of champagne & a plate with some wonderful cheesecake & strawberries on it with Happy Birthday piped in chocolate, this was absolutely lovely, thank you so much Victoria it made my holiday complete.
June 3, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by TomJones This hotel has exceptional staff
A genuinely pleasant experience.
May 28, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by ASalk Heavenly bed heavenly view
I always enjoy stays here. Was upgraded to harbour view room, and the view was breathtaking (2922 South). Heavenly bed was as advertised. After checking out I discovered I'd left something behind, so I called the hotel and the incredibly friendly staff sent someone to look for it. (Turns out, I'm apparently blind, found it when unpacking)
Minor criticism: Proximity to stairs and ice machine (but quiet night, so not an issue), the bathroom could use coat of paint, and there was a problem with the bedside phone. Line 2 light constant flashing, tried to change lines, couldn't get a dial tone. I just unplugged it (and forgot to mention it). Desk phone works no problem.
Great stay overall.
December 15, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Dave1129 Very Disappointed
I recently stayed at the Toronto Westin and was completely disappointed with the service the staff and the room. I stood in line for approximately 15 minutes to get checked in. When I arrived in the room it was dirty, the pull out couch was broken. The Terrace door was left open and the room was freezing. There was such a large draft coming from the door that the room never warmed up. I forgot my BB charger and asked the front desk if I could sign one out. They said no you can give us your phone we will charge it you need to come back in an hour. Nothing like a lack of respect and confidentiality. The room was dirty my feet were black within an hour. Not happy and would to recommend this hotel.
February 10, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Jcorvair Great Hotel, less than truthful staff
I loved almost everything about the hotel until it was time to leave. The baggage services desk told me they could get me a car at the same price as a taxi and it would be waiting for me when I left. When I got to the airport I found out that the price was much more than a taxi because the price quoted did not include HST, but taxi prices do. Then the driver could not give me an official receipt. The driver said he could email me a receipt no problem. No receipt has arrived and I called the hotel to complain and they said they would look into it and get back to me. No response yet.
March 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Fishrock Beautiful location!
What a wonderful place to stay when in Toronto. The view over the harbour, beautiful walks along the lake and general location relative to fine restaurants and attractionw make it a perfect toronto destination.
May 23, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Steve0814 Highly respectful and accommodating personnel
From the extremely courteous host checking me in who treated me like royalty to the father like figure who waived me a taxi, every aspect of my stay was a warm and friendly experience
May 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by AMCAIR Facilities Met My Expectations
This is the first time we have stayed at the hotel since the renovations. On a whole we we pleased with the results.
I have two (2) comments:
1) for a hotel that is promoting "Green", I was very disapointed in the fact that the hotel is using Plastic Glasses in the room. First because this is "Cheap" compared to other hotels that use glass glasses. and second because "plastic" is not easily renewable but must be disposed of in a dump or recycled
2) for a hotel of this quality, I was disapointed to learn that you charge for "WiFi" in the rooms.
Other than that, we were very pleased with our stay.
November 14, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by iriek Great Location!
I stayed at this hotel on an overnight layover.
I will start out with the pros:
1. I had a lake view room, and the view was spectacular.
2. The room was clean and spacious.
3. My check in process was smooth, and I was offered a late checkout for Sunday.
4. The hotel is right across the street from the stop for the Airport Express Shuttle, which is a cheaper (than taxi) easy way to get to the airport. On Sunday morning, I got to the airport within 30 minutes.
And now the cons:
1. I am not a big fan of paying $15/day for internet.
2. The elevators were actually dirty in the morning. I saw a discarded bag of fast food, and crumbs all over the floor.
3. There were cards for an escort service in the business center.
Overall, I expected a better appearance from a 4 star hotel. But the staff was polite and helpful. I think next time I am stuck in Toronto overnight, I will try somewhere else...
May 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Daver409 Westin Harbour Castle - Toronto
This is my favourite hotel in Toronto. It is very nicely located on the lakeshore - very quiet, and easy access to most points in the city on foot, or via cab/TTC.
From the moment you arrive, you are greeted by doormen and valets that are courteous and friendly, and generally recognize repeat guests, which is comforting.
The hotel itself is exceptionally well kept, clean, comfortable, and with a great ambiance. Its always busy so you feel you're 'in the action'!
Westin has the best beds of any hotels, and the rooms here are excellent. Lake views are also great, particularly on the highest floors.
February 12, 2012