Rated 3 out of 5 by Bruin83 spg member room
they did not provide me with the spg member preferred rooms. instead rather clumsy room.
other than that, it was o.k.
also, had to ask to bring the bathrobes. did not have them inside the room. not Westin style!
October 21, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Takada Staff just not SPG level
To begin, I would say that my family loves SPG hotels and as a Platinum member, we've used them world wide, including Japan; we love Kyoto and have been traveling there for more than a decade; and everyone in our family is fluent in both Japanese and English.
This said, our recent stay in Kyoto was the worst we've ever experienced in an SPG property, though the facilities and amenities and locale are great. It boils down to service, which was, to be honest, shocking for a seasoned business and leisure traveler in Japan like us.
Several things not necessarily in order of importance:
* The Club Lounge. During the evening of our stay, my wife felt that she was ignored by the staff, which has never been our experience at club lounges before. She was not spoken to, not offered refreshment, not acknowledged, while the other guests were.
* In the afternoon before checkout we went to the Club Lounge and sat down to enjoy some snacks. after 5 minutes a staff member appeared and when they came over to our table I expect they would welcome us as we were the only people in the lounge. But instead the woman curtly informed us (in Japanese) that we would have to move to another table -the one right next to where we were sitting (which was not reserved). When I protested, she relented and then didn't speak to us for the next 40 minutes we were there, including when we spilled a little bit of water...which we were left to clean up on our own. It was a very curious and uncomfortable episode which truly marred our quite family time looking at the beautiful Kyoto scene
* Upon check-in and check out, I was never acknowledged as a platinum member...and the staff seemed very nonchalant about the fact that our requested Suite Night Award and platinum upgrade could not be met.
* We requested more than a week prior to arrival a crib. The hotel contacted us to ask the age of the child and we said it was for a 1 month old infant. When we arrived the crib they gave us was for a toddler...a big deal since the bed rested about a meter from the top of the crib and my wife couldn't pick the baby up from the bottom of the crib. When we called service to ask about fixes or switches, they said they would be up to our room with a solution but called back minutes later to tell us no one was coming and that all the cribs for infants were taken. If we had known we would not be provided an infant crib, we would have brought our travel crib. But no.
* Service during the delicious breakfast buffet was almost non-existent and we had to take to busing our own tables.
* We got to use the pool for free (yes they charge non-platinum members a fee to use the pool facilities), but only after I had to explain (in Japanese) to the pool attendant our platinum status.
* The smoking area is in the middle of the dining/exercise floor guarded by a cloth curtain and nothing more. So you get a gasp of second hand smoke every time you go to or from the exercise area or the restaurants. Not pleasant, unless you are a smoker...maybe not even then
* They charge guests for in-hotel parking using the "Times" parking scheme and one night set us back approximately 1000 yen, though we were paying guests. There was no apology for this, just an explanation that as a guest I got about 500 yen off. Additionally, when we first arrived, the parking lot was full and so we followed 3 different successive directors instructions and arrived where we were supposed to be, only to be chased off by a security guard while unpacking. This process continued until a car had driven off from the standard parking lot and we were able to park. To reiterate, we found it shocking that we were charged for parking (it couldn't even be rolled into our room fee - you need cold hard cash to feed the machine) at a SPG 5 property as a platinum member. No validation, nothing.
* I'm not normally picky about this but the complementary water in the room that they say is from Fuji tasted like bad chlorinated tap water. This is a shame as Japan has some of the best spring water in the world.
* Finally, though I FULLY acknowledge that Japanese staff in a Japanese hotel in Japan have a right to speak Japanese as a default, I found the level of English (the international default language) to be shockingly bad, comparing the Kyoto location to other Japanese SPG properties in Yokohama and Tokyo in which we have stayed. We had no problems with a language barrier, but I would be very hesitant to send English-only friends to this property. Kyoto is one of the top tourist destinations in the world on par with Athens, Cairo, and Rome. They should work hard to up their English customer service skills.
We had been planning to return to Kyoto in the spring, but it is likely we will visit another SPG property in Japan instead.
October 8, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Aaron75 Disappointing Stay
We stayed at this hotel in Sept for three nights. We had a total of three rooms, of which one was upgraded to a Junior Suite.
All the furniture and fittings in the three bedrooms, including the suite, were old. Only the toilets look new and the shower facilities were updated.
If you are seeking to just do sightseeing, the location of the hotel is near to quite a number of temples and sightseeing spots. However, the hotel is not that near to the Gion or Kyoto Station.
The hotel does provide a free Shuttle Service which leaves every half an hour for Gion and Kyoto Station. However, the capacity is only 25, and many times we could not get onto the shuttle service and had to either wait half an hour for the next one, or take a cab. I think the frequency and the capacity should be increased.
In addition, you can only board the shuttle service at the hotel or Kyoto Station and they do not allow you to board in other locations such as Gion. Thus you have to find your own transport back to the hotel.
Compared to other Starwood hotels, I feel that the Westin Miyako is not as comfortable or convenient.
October 1, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by TeriFish Awesome hotel
We stayed there just last week and the entire staff seemed to go out of the way to meet our needs. The birthday cake was an awesome touch.
September 21, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Pab31 Solid Stay
As the second part of my honeymoon trip, Kyoto was a must-go city. After arriving at Kyoto Station, a free shuttle was available (runs every 30 minutes). During check-in, the Westin staff was friendly and fulfilled my request to be upgraded to one of their japanese-style rooms, located in another building behind the main one - in that sense, not that great after a long day walking. Breakfast can be challenging if you're not used to the local food, but not that big deal. Concierge was helpful when requested, providing local maps and general directions.
August 13, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by epie Below Starwood standards
The hotel is not to the standards I've experienced in the 20 plus years I've stayed at Starwood properties. The carpet in the room was soiled and worn, the walls were marred and the couch was worn. I would not stay here again.
July 13, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Lecturer25 A week in Kyoto
The Hotel is beutiful, nestled in the suburbs of Kyoto but 3 minute walk from the subway (very good system),
I booked a superior room, but the initial room was very small, the room was old, I asked to be changed to a room with a view (for extra charge) and the room was beutiful, I had a lot of help from the SPG - from twitter who contacted the hotel and help me, the new room was exactly what I was expecting from the Westin, the friendliness of the staff was amazing
June 28, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by cucu1965 Nice with some shadows...
On the good side: the location (nice view over the city, close to the metro station, nice temples within walking distance); the shuttle service; the restaurants; the executive lounge; the kind and professional service.
On the less good side: the lounge is often plagued with crying babies; the hotel seems to live on its past glory, and needs renovation.
June 3, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Princess Great location and surroundings
Stayed 2 nights here. Hotel is quite old but this cannot be helped and is the same for most places in Kyoto. The location is away from the city centre, but still extremely good, a short taxi ride (JPY700 approx) from Gion or Kyoto station (JPY 1300). Shuttle bus service provided. Plenty to do even if you do not wish to venture out from the hotel - there are 2 or more walking trails, many shrines and temples to visit around the hotel, as well as art boutiques, quaint shops and dining places. Service is good, with many (not all) english speaking staff. Will choose Westin Kyoto for my next trip!
May 16, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Samjan The hotel everything is so perfect!
The hotel has great service. Especially for my disable daughter. The breakfast was so delicious, everything was from local, so fresh, super great taste, we couldn't forget it. The Japanese room was so good, we all enjoyed the Japanese style life.Location is very comfortable, good view. Hope can live over there for a long time.
April 3, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Kate29 Lovely hotel
This hotel is a bit far from JR station, however, there is a shuttle bus departs every 30 mins. Avoid the rush hours as the bus may be crowded. The staffs are good and friendly. The room is clean. The Japanese buffet breakfast is worth and recommended.
Upgraded? Yes, but after insisting.
February 18, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by RufusInHI Most Perfect 48 hours - Impeccable Hotel
We spent two perfect days in Kyoto celebrating our Anniversary. Every moment spent at The Westin Miyako was treasured. The hotel is all class and a polished gem. If you are looking for perfection, the Westin Miyako delivers from the moment you check-in, and until you check-out. The entire staff is attentive, very polite, and professional. The room was modern, clean and full of amenities found at most 5 stars hotel. The breakfast buffet at the hotel's Aquablu Restaurant is a culinary delight. The restaurant staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. Hotel Front Desk Staff and Concierge provides recognition of your SPG membership and were always hospitable and gracious to any request or inquiry. The hotel is extremely stylish and exudes elegance and sophistication. Located within walking distance of downtown Kyoto and many temples and shrines, yet worlds away from the hustle and bustle of the city, the hotel is surrounded by the serenity of near by mountains and lush trees. If the Westin Miyako were a US Property, it would be a SPG rated Category 6 hotel. I am a extremely delighted fan of the Westin Miyako. Thank you very much for the great stay and great service.
December 17, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by JasDeb Poor Service and Amenities
We travelled there from Australia for our honeymoon and were sadly let down by the Hotel in several departments compared to Starwood's other hotels. Considering we had paid over $500 AUD per night to stay there, it was especially upsetting. As we had stayed with Starwood before, for considerably less price, we had very high expectations! While the Hotel is located in an excellent position for sightseeing, that was about the only positive. Yes the staff were friendly but when you pay so much money for a room, you have certain expectations on the level of service and the quality of the room. The only thing they gave you was free WiFi. 1) They offered no recognition, discount to my wife and I that we were Starwood Prefered Guests. 2) They had no english speaking channels or TV programs in the rooms. 3) They had no inhouse movies for guests. 4) We thought their bike hire would have been complementary but they charged us $2000 Yen a day. 5) The rooms were very poorly lit and needed renovation. 6)The buffet breakfast they supplied was second rate. All the hot food was unedible due to being cold. 7) Basically the hotel had no atmosphere and made you feel unwelcome. 8) Finally, the price for room service meals, in house laundry services and bar prices for drinks was exorbitent and excessive. 9) Communicating with staff was hard as their english was limited from the staff I spoke with. We felt so strongly about these things, we ended up checking out early and rebooking at a hotel further down the road with better facilities, for half the price. While locals might think the hotel is great, I caution foreigners from staying there for the above mentioned reasons.
December 12, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by SPGmomo Perfectly balanced stay
The hospitality industry in parts of Asia really sets the bar for the rest of the world and the Westin Kyoto delivers on those high standards. Let's start with the beginning: a personal escort to your room who will explain the amenities in the language of your choice, English, Chinese or Japanese. An invitation to a free drink on the house as an SPG Gold member. A very attentive yet inconspicuous staff during your evening cocktails in the Executive Club Lounge. Housekeepers that do an amazing job without ever being seen or heard.
It's been about 3 months since my stay at the Westin Kyoto and I often reflect fondly at the time I spent there. Its location in the hills of Eastern Kyoto, despite it being out of city center, is dear to my heart for the serenity and beauty that I woke up to every morning. Actually, it should be said that the hotel, both inside and out is shrouded in the kind of beauty that only Japan can provide. It starts with the green leaves and warm woods that decorate the lobby, to the traditional gardens and pathways on the outside and extending to the hiking trail behind the hotel that remains a best kept secret for the breath-taking views overlooking Kyoto city. Yes, it is AMAZING!
I will admit this is one of the rare trips where I spent as much time enjoying the hotel as the city I'm traveling in. I loved having tea at the elegant Mayfair tea room, a cup of coffee in the Club lounge (where the view in nearly unrivaled) or just relaxing in my room after a long day of walking. Unlike most hotels in Japan, the Club Level room I stayed in was HUGE (and it wasn't even a suite) with a full bathtub, separate shower, and toilet stall (I loved how everything is separate!), a sitting area with a real couch, a corner office space and a Westin Heavenly bed worth dying for. The Westin Kyoto Miyako, to me, seems to be the perfect balance of tranquility and Western comforts.
July 28, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by JimFo Very Disappointed in room quality and location
Just arrived at this hotel in Kyoto. The hotel is very nice however was surprised that the hotel room I have was what they call a junior suite, but really two separate rooms put together. I heard about the great views here, but our view looks out at a courtyard with only views of the other guests stuck in the oldest part of the hotel but on the other side.
I am not sure how they call this a 5 star hotel, I don't see it. I am a platinum member and lifetime gold member so i don't often get a lousy room but I know it when I get one. Very disappointed to say the least especially after being on the road to Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong and then back here for a quiet weekend before heading home to NY. I spoke with the front desk staff and they couldn't help, will speak with the manager tomorrow.
I would recommend another hotel unless you are guaranteed a room with a view -- I can guarantee you wouldn't want the room we have.
April 26, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Napafan Perfect Location for Visiting the Temples in Kyoto
This place is amazing.
In addition to spectacular grounds, the rooms are exquisite. You can request to stay in either a typical Westin room or, a traditional Japanese room with Tatami mats in a building separate from the main hotel.
The view from the SPG club allows you the chance to take in Kyoto's unique sky-line.
From here, you can tour the temples along the Philosopher's Trail and, walk through the traditional Geisha neighborhoods. Ask the concierge for their help and they will set you up with any reservations that you need.
November 23, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by rabbit Best Hotel Experience
I stayed at the Westin Miyako, Kyoto in September, 2010, and I must say that this was the best hotel experience that I have ever had. I have stayed at many of the leading hotels throughout the world, but the graciousness and attention paid to guests at this hotel was unsurpassed. They really made you feel special. I was in awe! The hotel is gorgeous. The grounds are beautiful, and the location is convenient.
November 17, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by LandedSPG Kyoto Protocol got it right!
It's true, this hotel is benefitting from a cleaner environment. It's right beside mountains and forests minutes away from Kyoto Station! I have stayed here over 20 nights in the past 2 years and I have never ever had one single problem with anything.
Suite upgrades for Plats? Yes? Fantastic Platinum lounge with great appetizers and a full self serve bar? Yes! One of the best Westin breakfast buffets with Japanese and Western food? Yes! Shuttle service? Yes (although only 'till 8pm) Electric bikes to rent? Yes (only 3,000Y for the day - totally worth it) Near various Shrines and Castles? Yes! Decent rates? God YES! (except in October when every night essentially triples) Best of all, lots of great authentic souvenir shopping near by.
All other aspects of this hotel truly exceed its Category 4 ranking.
October 28, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Eigosan Great place to stay
Not only is the hotel conveniently placed near the subway and walking distance to many sites and shopping, but it also has a small park with a beautiful bird watching trail, which comes in useful every morning before breakfast, as a warm up for the day. The rooms are lovely and comfortable, the breakfast generous. This was my fifth stay at the Westin Miyako.
March 28, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Peet12 Perfect Stay during my weekend in Kyoto
Thank you very much for this wonderful stay.
I got a room upgrade without asking, to a wonderful Jr. Suite. Platinum Status definitively worth it in this hotel.
Express Check In and Check Out Counter, wothout waiting. Lounge is excellent, food and beverages are really good.
The chance to rent an e-bike is wonderful and worth it. Thanks for the wonderful stay. Will come back, when I'm in Kyoto next time.
August 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by masachan 立地が良く静か、さすが伝統のホテル
July 25, 2016
Rated 4 out of 5 by tomo76 SPG Cravingsについて
SPG会員なら会員ステータスに関係なく、レストラン割引を受けられるはずの制度をホテルスタッフに全く周知されていない。 アクアブルーで食事をして申し出たが会計係りは２年前にその制度はなくなったと言い切る。AMEXメンバーのみの特典という。 しかし、後日SPGに確認したところホテル側のミスだと発覚した。謝罪の連絡があったがお詫びの書面ぐらい送るべき。そもそも知らないこと自体不愉快。
July 7, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by yeping2160 素晴らしいホテル
May 27, 2016
Rated 4 out of 5 by raaily 佳水園の和室に宿泊
May 6, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by NEKOTARO ラウンジの対応は強化したほうがいい
April 16, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by kyoutodaisuki 毎年の定宿です
March 28, 2016
Rated 1 out of 5 by Jackie241 お勧めできないホテルです。
March 16, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by Yucha ベッドが最高に気持ちよかった。
March 14, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by TYS244 とても満足しました。
February 1, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by TK0004 全体的には期待通りだが、ビュッフェが．．．
January 24, 2016