Rated 3 out of 5 by contestwinner Close to downtown
Upon arrival I gave the staff a gift certificate I had received and was then told that my room was unavailable due to the occupancy the night before and that the room should be ready in a couple of hours I checked in my luggage and left to visit an aunt in the Toronto area. When I returned at approx. 4 pm to get my room key I was told my room was still not ready and did not know when it was going to be ready. I was scared that the hotel would not have a room for me when I returned after supper and seeing the play The Wizard of Oz. I had to request the manager on duty and he then informed me and apologized and said that my room is ready.
August 12, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Ali123 Room was dirty
This weekend July 13th was very special for us, we were celebrating our 3rd year anniversary together and I was proposed to that night.
- arrived to the hotel to find they had no on site parking and valet was apparently full. The only option was to park away from the hotel. Very disappointing.
- Inn the bathroom their was hair in the tub and a used tissue on the floor.
-Hair on the ice bucket and our bed.
Was not impressed on how clean the room was at all.
I was impressed how the hotel looked when we walked in but disappointed how clean the room was.
-It did ruin the perfect weekend we had planned away to celebrate our special day.
July 17, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by mxmx The worst hotel of its kind
The room walls were dirty and not maintained. I was on 6th floor and the balcony was full of Starbucks cups and cigarettes which were never cleaned during my entire stay of 10 days. I wonder if in this hotel anybody ever cleans the bathroom tiles. There were black dots al over the place and it was obvious they were water spots that were never cleaned. There were also spiders behind the bathroom door. The heater/air-con is so old and unhealthy, plus it makes these crazy noises in the middle of the night, one thinks somebody broke in the room. The room in general is in a very bad shape and the rate you charge for these terrible conditions is honestly beyond me. The noise in the floor was unbelievable. Every night there was another incident. A couple that was fighting banging doors at 3am and screaming, a school group that was screaming and shouting and 4am, it was just pathetic. As for the staff? The lady concierge never smiles and she behaves like she is actually doing everybody a favor. The bartenders also never smile, it looks like they are not happy with what they are doing. In general the staff is not very pleasant, which again for the rate paid is ridiculous. The spa was poorly heated and very poor in amenities even though the girls were polite and pleasant. I was cold the entire time of my massage. I asked that they put the heating on, but they told me it is not working very well that is why it is a "bit" cold. Ridiculous. Not to mention the charge for internet, the empty mini bar and all that which is annoying when one stay in that hotel category, but we all unfortunately put up with in N. America. I will never stay in this hotel in my life and I travel 20 days out of a month. I was very glad when I left.
November 12, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Skycaptain Room Fixes
Door to washroom was very loud, creaking and squeaking all the way through open and close (first time this has happened, stayed Westin many times). It was unpleasant having to wake up every time a member of my party used the restroom at night while everyone else was asleep. The main door did not close fully when let go to close on its own. Had to pull it shut. We would have left our items unsecure had we not returned to the room for a forgotten item. Breakfast food items are very expensive ($3 for apple juice), something to keep in mind. Good location. Always enjoy stay at Westin however. Hotel of choice in Toronto for four star.
July 30, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by JRDD Not up to standards!
I was greatly disappointed with my recent westin experience at the Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto. In many ways it was not up to the standards I've come to expect from Westin.
Let me start with the room:
- A distinct and horrible mildew smell permeated the room. Most of which was coming from the bathroom area. In fact, the smell was so horrible in the bathroom I could barely spend any time in there without holding my breath.
- Upon use, it was clear the drains in both sink and bath were severely clogged, backing up water. I imagine this was the cause of the horrible mildew smell. Clearly they never clean the drains out.
- Hot water was non-existent and I took showers both days with lukewarm water. On occasion throughout showering and with no forewarning, the water would run completely cold for upwards of 1-2 minutes.
- "Heavenly Shower" HA! Only one of the showerheads worked, the other was clogged.
- The bathroom was maintained in a substandard fashion, as no bath supplies, other than soap, were placed there during my entire stay. The magnifying mirror was loose and rickety. The countertop water-spotted and dirty.
- The room temperature could not be regulated and was constantly overly warm, no matter how much I turned down the temperature on the thermostat.
- The heat/air system was extremely noisy.
- The room was not overly clean, as there were spots on the ceiling and marks on the walls.
- The Mizzen Restaurant in the hotel was mediocre. Food was average and fruits and vegetables were not fresh.
- The Staff in the Mizzen restaurant was rude and not accomodating, in fact, the greeter was placing everyone clumped in tables next to each other in the back of the restaurant (its a large space). When she was asked by a guest if they could move closer to the front of the room, she was overheard to say "NO, those are reserved", yet during the entire time in the restaurant NO ONE ever sat in the area near the front or further deep into the restaurant.
- The prices in the restaturant were OUTRAGEOUS for substandard food. $18 CAD for a bowl of "seasonal fruit" that had a few pieces of unripe melon, unripe pineapple and four sour strawberries is ridiculous.
All I can say is DO NOT go to this hotel if you want the standard Westin service.
December 10, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by RODR Love the View
I always enjoy my stay here and generally us it for romantic get aways.
The lake view and other amenities of the hotel are great
The are / region is ideal for me as well as its close to all the things I like of Toronto - the arts, sports and lake
April 26, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Carbar24 Excellent service and comfortable room.
We stay at the Harbour Castle 2-3 times a year. On both of our recent stays November and December 2013 we have no complaints. Check-in has been quick and the staff members courteous and acknowledged our patronage as SPG members. Both David and Carmela took very good care of us at check ins. Upgraded us to lake view rooms and internet. These added touches make our stay even better and make us feel like valued, loyal guests. We have also had drinks at the lobby bar, service again excellent and polite staff. Love the spicy complimentary snacks at the bar. Bellman also courteous and quick. We will continue to choose this location when staying in downtown Toronto .
December 7, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bruce1355 Old Tired Hotel with very poor service
1. No plug for the Tub, when we called front desk they did not seem to care and we never did get to use the tub
2. We received key to our room and went up in the elevator only to find no room existed called to front desk and they were rude telling me that there were two towers and we had gone up the wrong tower as though I should have known
3. Bathroom Door was very noisy as a result had to leave it open during the night
4. Grill over the bathroom exhaust fan was hanging down from the ceiling
5. One of swivel switch on the table light missing
6. Air conditioning fan was very noisy so either put up with noise, not sleep or be hot
7. Red lights on the phone started flashing at 5 am that woke us up, and it was hotel flashing to tell us invoice was ready, went down to front desk to tell them how disruptive it was and never did anything about turning it off
8. We had to clean the room of dust and dirt behind the TV and other areas that took little extra care to clean
9. Room did not look like a deep cleaning had been done for a very long time
10. Having a drink in the bar around 11 pm with a number of us that were attending conference moved chairs to be able to chat together, bar tender told us we could not move the chairs as a hotel policy most of us got up and left not finishing our drinks
11. I had call twice to make the room reservations and change in arrival dates each time I confirmed with them I required two adjoining rooms, on arrival they did not have information correct and only when I asked about other Hotels in the area to go to did they get a manager out to get us what we had asked for. Did not receive confirmation by email for the room reservation
12. At the banquet dinner which cost me $116.00 the steak was so over done it was dry and tasteless. The desert dishes were actually dropped in front of us without asking what we wanted for desert. No coffee after dinner, and some of the plates were picked up off the table before they finished eating
13. One of the people at our table told them clearly that she could not have sea food on her plate, but the dinners were dropped on the table and we had to sort out who order what and she had to send her meal back as all dinners had shrimp on them. After a very long time she received her meal long time later and ended up finishing her meal while desert was being served
14. Our breakfast buffet ran out of eggs and bacon which took very long time to be refilled and was over stocked with all kinds of muffins and such
15. The staff raced to clean up so they could presumably go home
16. When got my car back from $ 40.00 per day charges it was filthy had to stop on way home at a car wash
17. Week before that had put up one of my clients overnight in the Detroit Air Port Westin Hotel and service; room and everything was wonderful would have rated it a 5 star Hotel
June 20, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by kktravel good location and service
Checked in with heavy bags for a meeting - went up to room - key wouldn't work - had to go back down to lobby with all my bags - at least 5 people in line to check-in so i went to Concierge with no line - the girl there took my key into the back and came back within 5 minutes with it reset. Great.
Had to use the facilities by the time i got in my room - lifted lid and hair on toilet seat and quite a bit on floor of bathroom - also next morning quite a large clump sitting in tub on top of drain. Kind of gross!
Anyway - it wouldn't deter me from staying again just thought the cleaning of the bathroom could have been way better.
June 12, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Jlm12 Huge disappointment
I have stayed at the Weston Harbour Castle at least 50 times over the past 8 years. It has been over 6 months since my last stay and this one experience has ruined my view of the hotel. I was greeted rudely at the Elite Starwood reception desk. Our room was dank and unwelcoming. After a long day we were exhausted but could not sleep due to the loud whistling air conditioner. I did speak to a manager who was unhelpful and spent the majority of the call making excuses. I'm a Starwood gold member, and I am supposed to get 3:00 checkout. When requested it was refused to me. I would hate to see how they treated a first time guest!
August 15, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by AA370 Good Conference Venue
Great Conference possibilities but something needs to be done about the inadequate and overpriced parking situation.
April 27, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by deepvisual worst service in my career
quite simply the worst service I have ever had in a hotel.
I was checked into the wrong room, so couldn't access the internet.
I then tried for 45 mins to call reception but only got an engaged tone. In the end I went down, queued for ten minutes and finally got dealt with.
except nothing happened. I was told to enter someone else's name, but not how to spell it.
I went downstairs a total of 4 times to complain about the phone not working and each time was promised action which never materialised. On the final time, I made it clear it was the worst hotel I ever stayed in. Still nothing.
The whole time I was polite and patient, but to no avail. Shocking service.
October 30, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Krys1984 This hotel was below expectations
I was really looking forward to relaxing at this 4 star hotel. I went to have a bath and the tap was coming off the wall and there was no tub stopper for the drain. Two rooms down there were dirty plates in the hall for our entire stay. Gross! I give it 2 stars.
April 22, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Jcorvair Great Hotel, less than truthful staff
I loved almost everything about the hotel until it was time to leave. The baggage services desk told me they could get me a car at the same price as a taxi and it would be waiting for me when I left. When I got to the airport I found out that the price was much more than a taxi because the price quoted did not include HST, but taxi prices do. Then the driver could not give me an official receipt. The driver said he could email me a receipt no problem. No receipt has arrived and I called the hotel to complain and they said they would look into it and get back to me. No response yet.
March 6, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by mvcboy Great location, Great staff
The staff were very friendly and helpful, and cared for SPG member's concerns. I got upgraded to a corner room without even asking for. Since it was my first visit, I was surprised about the parking fees(valet parking 45), the rep even took away 40 bucks from my meals charge just to make me feel better, that's great customer services I have ever seen!
April 18, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by clydemagic Great Location
The waterfront location makes this hotel desirable.
April 26, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Hemmy33 Westin Harbour Castle - November 2012
The overall impression that I had of the facility was positive. The location is great if you want to go for a run by the lake however it is a 15 minute walk to get to any of the action in DT Toronto. My room was tidy however it was in need of some general repairs (paint peeling from the ceiling in the bathroom and the light over the shower did not work which meant you had to prop the door open in order not to shower in the dark). The staff was friendly and accomodating however I left my IPOD in the room and it has been more than 48 hours and still have not received a call from lost and found after leaving 2 messages.
November 7, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by waterbell60 Quality of Staff
We have stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle many times over the past 30 plus years. There are certain staff members who have been there as long and still remember your face and welcome you as old friends. Myself & my wife look upon these folks as friends and always appreciate seeing them again and cherish the fact they remember us (out of thousands they must meet). We know from conversations with these folks that they view the Westin as their home and welcome the guest as if they were being invited to their actual home. For this I must say thanks.
Les & Deborah
March 11, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by moncar I always like staying at this hotel
When we were at the Westin Harbour Castle last Sunday, two of our sons also had rooms. We are the only one with a SPG card, and we have Gold status. I was very dissapointed to hear that we paid at least $50.00 more for our room than our sons did. We had requested a room with a comfy chair since my husband sometimes can't sleep in the bed. Is an armchair worth $50.00? The only way we could get this chair was to book a Junioe suite. The only difference between our room and that of our son, Kevin , was the armchair. His room was considerably less and he is not a SPG member. Please tell me what good our gold status is?
May 26, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Dave1129 Very Disappointed
I recently stayed at the Toronto Westin and was completely disappointed with the service the staff and the room. I stood in line for approximately 15 minutes to get checked in. When I arrived in the room it was dirty, the pull out couch was broken. The Terrace door was left open and the room was freezing. There was such a large draft coming from the door that the room never warmed up. I forgot my BB charger and asked the front desk if I could sign one out. They said no you can give us your phone we will charge it you need to come back in an hour. Nothing like a lack of respect and confidentiality. The room was dirty my feet were black within an hour. Not happy and would to recommend this hotel.
February 10, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Unhappy Are you kidding?!
We made the huge mistake of booking during March break - no pool or hot tub use available as it was overrun by kiddos.
The add- on fees were astronomical -$17/day for WiFi. What?! $27 for the breakfast buffet that is comparable to the free buffet offered at lesser priced hotels.
We had a couple minor issues that became big problems due to the lack of response by the staff. After a number (5) conversations we were credited 2 nights accommodation - but not really because $800 in charges later we have had to put a stop payment on our visa. Now off the the telephone for more time dealing with the Westin HC's pathetic excuse for customer service.
So much for a relaxing vacation!
March 18, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Luvtrvl Very tired, old, poorly maintained
This is the worst Westin I have ever stayed at and I'm a platinum member. The hotel is in a superior location and has amazing views of Lake Ontario. The hotel is poorly maintained (we had to switch rooms because the first assigned room was dirty and looked like it hadn't been dusted in weeks.). The hallways and rooms are in dire need of painting. The bathrooms are old and very small. The carpet in our "suite" was nasty and shredded near the entrance to bathroom and opening door. The wallpaper was bubbled in places and furniture scraped. Not a good representation for Westin quality. I wouldn't use your suite awards for this place as the room was not of "suite" size nor quality.
August 5, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Rollingjones Service in this hotel was excellent
I have stayed in top hotels all over the world so it's a little hard to surprise me but Westin Harbour Castle did just that! From check-in with Sean, who went out of his way to ensure I had a nice room, to the room service which was extremely quick and efficient to the room service menu which had very healthy food. I had a bad cold and really needed a place to stay warm and comfortable for my demanding trip. Not only did I get that but I also had a perfect view of the lake and nourishing food which helped make a tough business trip much better. Thanks to the staff at Westin for being so good at what you do!
February 26, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by mrgmckenzie Newspapers
Disappointing to find that the hotel no loner delivers newspapers to the room.
April 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by RealEstateRandy Four Day Stay
From the moment I drove up to the valet area, to the last goodbye from the valet on leaving, my stay at this hotel was a wonderful experience. I arrived very tired, but early, and was given access to my clean room immediately. The service was outstanding with all the hotel staff. Our meetings went well, and the conference center did not disappoint. Overall, the service, room, bed, shower and amenities were all fabulous. As someone who usually has a hard time getting a good sleep in a hotel, this was the exception. Thank you Westin Harbour Castle!
March 8, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by ASalk Heavenly bed heavenly view
I always enjoy stays here. Was upgraded to harbour view room, and the view was breathtaking (2922 South). Heavenly bed was as advertised. After checking out I discovered I'd left something behind, so I called the hotel and the incredibly friendly staff sent someone to look for it. (Turns out, I'm apparently blind, found it when unpacking)
Minor criticism: Proximity to stairs and ice machine (but quiet night, so not an issue), the bathroom could use coat of paint, and there was a problem with the bedside phone. Line 2 light constant flashing, tried to change lines, couldn't get a dial tone. I just unplugged it (and forgot to mention it). Desk phone works no problem.
Great stay overall.
December 15, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by BoSox Superior Professionalism
I had never been to Toronto before so I knew very little about the city, the hotel, or much of anything else about the area. I was greeted at the front desk by Elizabeth who was an amazing source of information about the hotel, the city, and what to do while visiting. Her desire to make my stay enjoyable contributed to a very succesful series of meetings and a nice stay.
April 9, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by nicknameisit lost and overpriced
We stay at this hotel often, had dinner at toula, the food tasted great and the service was excellent also, a bit overpriced for what you get. I left a Cher concert t-shirt in my room and the housecleaning could not locate it, kinda bummed out that the honorouable thing was not the rule in this case. Oh well, thats how she goes.
April 9, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by OSApril2014 Tired Hotel
Where do I start: we had 2 rooms, they were dusty, the sink was blocked. The fan in the bathroom sounded like a locomotive... The food at the breakfast buffet was dry. Not what I expect from a Westin hotel.
April 14, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by AMCAIR Facilities Met My Expectations
This is the first time we have stayed at the hotel since the renovations. On a whole we we pleased with the results.
I have two (2) comments:
1) for a hotel that is promoting "Green", I was very disapointed in the fact that the hotel is using Plastic Glasses in the room. First because this is "Cheap" compared to other hotels that use glass glasses. and second because "plastic" is not easily renewable but must be disposed of in a dump or recycled
2) for a hotel of this quality, I was disapointed to learn that you charge for "WiFi" in the rooms.
Other than that, we were very pleased with our stay.
November 14, 2012