Rated 3 out of 5 by BHF27 Past its Prime
The Harbour Castle is situated on the lakefront with beautiful views of Lake Ontario from many rooms. It is a bit of a walk from downtown Toronto so generally need to take cabs.
It was once a gorgeous property but is showing its age especially in bathrooms and in elevators. Heavenly Beds are lovely so our recent stay was comfortable but we experienced three annoyances - closet safe was not useable as it was locked , sink drain was plugged and breakfasts at the Mizzen restaurant are outrageously expensive - about $ 40 per person with juice and coffee.
Unlikely to stay there again.
October 22, 2011
Rated 3 out of 5 by SeanMTX Nice hotel with good location. Too bad the fees are outrageous.
The hotel itself is nice, with good staff and welcoming decor. The rooms were sufficient (my room was very warm, so I had to turn off the AC and open a window).
The main problem I have here is the cost of eating/drinking in the hotel. While I expect to pay a small premium for staying to dine in the hotel, I never expected a $65 CDN bill for 2 breakfasts! Or a $5.65 club soda (out of a gun, not a bottled premium beverage). To add insult to injury, there were no refills on the soda.
I and a colleague had a total of 7 beers, 1 entree and 1 appetizer in the lobby...to the tune of $158CDN. Absolutely outrageous.
March 23, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by WineAdvisoryGroup Excellent Option for Waterfront Area
Facility has been kept up nicely. Good staff. Excellent parking. I liked being on the waterfront. Great Views.
April 8, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by ConcertGoer ANOTHER GREAT STAY AT THE WESTIN HARBOUR CASTLE
We had the pleasure of staying at the Westin Harbour Castle on May 25th. We were in town to attend the Rolling Stones concert. Our great service began on arrival when we were allowed to have an early check-in and were upgraded to a lake view corner room. The staff member who checked us in was extremely professional and courteous. I wish I written down his name as he certainly deserves kudos. We also took advantage of our SPG gold status to arrange late checkout. Now that I have covered the good (and there is certainly plenty of good) it is only fair that I comment on the only aspect of the trip we found less than satisfactory. That would be our meal in the rooftop restaurant (Toula?). While the service was excellent the same cannot be said of the meal. The hors douvres, appetizers and dessert were excellent but the main course (veal cutlet) was not up to the standard one would expect from a restaurant of this calibre. It was over cooked (burnt?) and was not much different than one would find in the frozen food section at a grocery store. Overall this hotel represents exceptional value for money. The combination of exceptional service and spectacular lake views can't be beat.
May 27, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by stellie very disappointed
my check in time was supposed to be 3 p.m. but our room wasn't ready until 6 p.m. that was quite upsetting!
September 7, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Chemong The Staff
Absolutely the most courteous and caring staff I have had the pleasure of dealing with in any hotel.
August 12, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by WEREX Great location and exceptional harbor view
One of the Top Toronto hotels to stay in style.
Excellent view from some corner rooms on the top floors.
January 4, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Robbielea Fabulous stay!
I stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle for a week while on business and had a fabulous time! Thank you!
June 25, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by PCDH Hotel Staff
Professional, attentative, knowledgeable, accomodating and all with a smile on their faces!
January 3, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Eventsonthego EVENTSon the go
Sean at the front desk provided the best check in experience I have ever had at a Starwood Property.
June 18, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Hooman Dirty place
title says it all, expensive, dirty, little if any hospitality, no convenient parking service.
May 20, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by RBD1914 Beautiful Facility, Friendly Staff, But Disappointed
Was courteously greeted by all, staff, given good directions to parking upon arrival. Very customer service oriented hotel.
Upon opening room, found litter on balcony, huge wrinkle in carpet that was a trip hazard. Bathtub had number of stains from careless cleaning that could simply have been wiped off. Many marks on walls, both in room and in hallway . . elevators had many smudges and water stains that could have been easily cleaned up on daily basis.
Breakfast delivery order card was used by previous occupant and left there . . . .the housekeeping staff obviously didn't check it.
In summary, great hotel and nice staff, but no attention to the details that make a hotel stand out.
Although I am not generally overly particular in the area of hotel room cleanliness, it was so obviously under par that I have to agree with my spouse the the room was less than "clean", and while you are spending your 29th wedding anniversary, who wants to complain to housekeeping and have the room cleaned over again . . or move to another room after you arrive tired and looking forward to "kicking back." Not a way to spend a romantic weekend.
For the room rates charged, and given the above, I hesitate to recommend.
May 21, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by sam2013 Loud A/C
A/C is too loud at night.
No free wifi, feels like 20th century.
February 1, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by suiteB Manager
I have in the past enjoyed my stay at all Westin like hotels, however this time there were a number of things that I did not find acceptable. I was forced to move from my room because of the noise level of the Elevators and traffic and noise from people at an annual sales meeting. When asked if I could upgrade to a Suite I was declined as there were not enough rooms available. The food was terrible, specifically breakfast in which it seemed as if my eggs were cooked in a microwave. It was cold upon arriving to my room which further was unacceptable. i hope that you work to improve on the dining experience for people who stay in your hotel
January 12, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Spiritark Old and in need of revamp
I stayed here twice between September and October. First time I was given a room with a tiny work table which was no where near a power outlet, and there were two flies in the room some how, which got be very agitated. The airconditioning vent also stuck out like a sore thumb in terms of room configuration. I had to ask for a room change which the staff promptly acted upon the next day, so that was all good.
That day right after, they forgot my breakfast order I placed the night before! Again they had to rush out the breakfast but they did not charge me for that.
More issues. My room key was not able to access the room and I went up and down a good 5-6 times just to figure out and tell the front desk that the key was not working. In hindsight, I should have demanded that some one gone up with me (in fact I would expect that for a Westin hotel) and figure out what is going on until it works instead of having the guest shuttle back and forth.
On my second stay, I was selected to be upgraded to the suite level. As much as it was prestigious in a marketing way, the wooden panels of the presidential floor were chipped off and lacking lustre. It felt like a 1980s hotel that needed restoration. Definitely please do something about that.
However, the staff service and promptness was good, despite the poor condition of the hotel.
October 13, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by penman51 the hotel is a great place to stay
our visit was very accommodating.
Food was great and everyone offered great service.
There were some creamers at the coffee terminal that were sour and would have been better if powder or kept in fridge.
outside of that it was great.
May 12, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by contestwinner Close to downtown
Upon arrival I gave the staff a gift certificate I had received and was then told that my room was unavailable due to the occupancy the night before and that the room should be ready in a couple of hours I checked in my luggage and left to visit an aunt in the Toronto area. When I returned at approx. 4 pm to get my room key I was told my room was still not ready and did not know when it was going to be ready. I was scared that the hotel would not have a room for me when I returned after supper and seeing the play The Wizard of Oz. I had to request the manager on duty and he then informed me and apologized and said that my room is ready.
August 12, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Ali123 Room was dirty
This weekend July 13th was very special for us, we were celebrating our 3rd year anniversary together and I was proposed to that night.
- arrived to the hotel to find they had no on site parking and valet was apparently full. The only option was to park away from the hotel. Very disappointing.
- Inn the bathroom their was hair in the tub and a used tissue on the floor.
-Hair on the ice bucket and our bed.
Was not impressed on how clean the room was at all.
I was impressed how the hotel looked when we walked in but disappointed how clean the room was.
-It did ruin the perfect weekend we had planned away to celebrate our special day.
July 17, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dallas27 Heavenly bed and Great view
Everything from the time I walked out of my car, to the time I left was super! Great customer service, food, gym facilities, event facilities, etc. Oh and the 'heavenly bed' with the water front view!! Thank you!
May 12, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by mjsl Did not match previous experience, or my expectations
When I checked in at 9:30 pm on a Friday, it took 30 minutes to get to the counter (5 people/families ahead of me,and only 2 staff). Because of the the long wait, the hotel attendant 'upgraded' my room from a 'City View' to a 'Lake View' room, which was a nice gesture. However as soon as I got into my room I could hear (loudly) the wind whistling through the window. The window did not have a good seal, and there was a strong wind off the lake that night. I debated for about 5 minutes, and finally decided to call the front desk and ask if I could change to the other side of the hotel. However, the phone didn't work when I tried to call the front desk. I tried a few times, and then decided to use my cell phone. However, by this time the wind had died down (temporarily it turned out), and I was tired, so I decided to stay in the room. When I used the sink in the bathroom, the drain was plugged, and after running the water for only about 10 seconds, it was backed up, with grimy soap film, and toothpaste floating in the sink. Altogether it was a disappointing stay, and did not match my previous experience at this hotel.
May 12, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by mxmx The worst hotel of its kind
The room walls were dirty and not maintained. I was on 6th floor and the balcony was full of Starbucks cups and cigarettes which were never cleaned during my entire stay of 10 days. I wonder if in this hotel anybody ever cleans the bathroom tiles. There were black dots al over the place and it was obvious they were water spots that were never cleaned. There were also spiders behind the bathroom door. The heater/air-con is so old and unhealthy, plus it makes these crazy noises in the middle of the night, one thinks somebody broke in the room. The room in general is in a very bad shape and the rate you charge for these terrible conditions is honestly beyond me. The noise in the floor was unbelievable. Every night there was another incident. A couple that was fighting banging doors at 3am and screaming, a school group that was screaming and shouting and 4am, it was just pathetic. As for the staff? The lady concierge never smiles and she behaves like she is actually doing everybody a favor. The bartenders also never smile, it looks like they are not happy with what they are doing. In general the staff is not very pleasant, which again for the rate paid is ridiculous. The spa was poorly heated and very poor in amenities even though the girls were polite and pleasant. I was cold the entire time of my massage. I asked that they put the heating on, but they told me it is not working very well that is why it is a "bit" cold. Ridiculous. Not to mention the charge for internet, the empty mini bar and all that which is annoying when one stay in that hotel category, but we all unfortunately put up with in N. America. I will never stay in this hotel in my life and I travel 20 days out of a month. I was very glad when I left.
November 12, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by sandydog Sales Manager
Great location to downtown
Excellent hotel, food, and staff
Very friendly service and staff most helpful
May 12, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by GC10 Excellent Location
Good facilties for meetings
May 11, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Skycaptain Room Fixes
Door to washroom was very loud, creaking and squeaking all the way through open and close (first time this has happened, stayed Westin many times). It was unpleasant having to wake up every time a member of my party used the restroom at night while everyone else was asleep. The main door did not close fully when let go to close on its own. Had to pull it shut. We would have left our items unsecure had we not returned to the room for a forgotten item. Breakfast food items are very expensive ($3 for apple juice), something to keep in mind. Good location. Always enjoy stay at Westin however. Hotel of choice in Toronto for four star.
July 30, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by JRDD Not up to standards!
I was greatly disappointed with my recent westin experience at the Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto. In many ways it was not up to the standards I've come to expect from Westin.
Let me start with the room:
- A distinct and horrible mildew smell permeated the room. Most of which was coming from the bathroom area. In fact, the smell was so horrible in the bathroom I could barely spend any time in there without holding my breath.
- Upon use, it was clear the drains in both sink and bath were severely clogged, backing up water. I imagine this was the cause of the horrible mildew smell. Clearly they never clean the drains out.
- Hot water was non-existent and I took showers both days with lukewarm water. On occasion throughout showering and with no forewarning, the water would run completely cold for upwards of 1-2 minutes.
- "Heavenly Shower" HA! Only one of the showerheads worked, the other was clogged.
- The bathroom was maintained in a substandard fashion, as no bath supplies, other than soap, were placed there during my entire stay. The magnifying mirror was loose and rickety. The countertop water-spotted and dirty.
- The room temperature could not be regulated and was constantly overly warm, no matter how much I turned down the temperature on the thermostat.
- The heat/air system was extremely noisy.
- The room was not overly clean, as there were spots on the ceiling and marks on the walls.
- The Mizzen Restaurant in the hotel was mediocre. Food was average and fruits and vegetables were not fresh.
- The Staff in the Mizzen restaurant was rude and not accomodating, in fact, the greeter was placing everyone clumped in tables next to each other in the back of the restaurant (its a large space). When she was asked by a guest if they could move closer to the front of the room, she was overheard to say "NO, those are reserved", yet during the entire time in the restaurant NO ONE ever sat in the area near the front or further deep into the restaurant.
- The prices in the restaturant were OUTRAGEOUS for substandard food. $18 CAD for a bowl of "seasonal fruit" that had a few pieces of unripe melon, unripe pineapple and four sour strawberries is ridiculous.
All I can say is DO NOT go to this hotel if you want the standard Westin service.
December 10, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bruce1355 Old Tired Hotel with very poor service
1. No plug for the Tub, when we called front desk they did not seem to care and we never did get to use the tub
2. We received key to our room and went up in the elevator only to find no room existed called to front desk and they were rude telling me that there were two towers and we had gone up the wrong tower as though I should have known
3. Bathroom Door was very noisy as a result had to leave it open during the night
4. Grill over the bathroom exhaust fan was hanging down from the ceiling
5. One of swivel switch on the table light missing
6. Air conditioning fan was very noisy so either put up with noise, not sleep or be hot
7. Red lights on the phone started flashing at 5 am that woke us up, and it was hotel flashing to tell us invoice was ready, went down to front desk to tell them how disruptive it was and never did anything about turning it off
8. We had to clean the room of dust and dirt behind the TV and other areas that took little extra care to clean
9. Room did not look like a deep cleaning had been done for a very long time
10. Having a drink in the bar around 11 pm with a number of us that were attending conference moved chairs to be able to chat together, bar tender told us we could not move the chairs as a hotel policy most of us got up and left not finishing our drinks
11. I had call twice to make the room reservations and change in arrival dates each time I confirmed with them I required two adjoining rooms, on arrival they did not have information correct and only when I asked about other Hotels in the area to go to did they get a manager out to get us what we had asked for. Did not receive confirmation by email for the room reservation
12. At the banquet dinner which cost me $116.00 the steak was so over done it was dry and tasteless. The desert dishes were actually dropped in front of us without asking what we wanted for desert. No coffee after dinner, and some of the plates were picked up off the table before they finished eating
13. One of the people at our table told them clearly that she could not have sea food on her plate, but the dinners were dropped on the table and we had to sort out who order what and she had to send her meal back as all dinners had shrimp on them. After a very long time she received her meal long time later and ended up finishing her meal while desert was being served
14. Our breakfast buffet ran out of eggs and bacon which took very long time to be refilled and was over stocked with all kinds of muffins and such
15. The staff raced to clean up so they could presumably go home
16. When got my car back from $ 40.00 per day charges it was filthy had to stop on way home at a car wash
17. Week before that had put up one of my clients overnight in the Detroit Air Port Westin Hotel and service; room and everything was wonderful would have rated it a 5 star Hotel
June 20, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by kktravel good location and service
Checked in with heavy bags for a meeting - went up to room - key wouldn't work - had to go back down to lobby with all my bags - at least 5 people in line to check-in so i went to Concierge with no line - the girl there took my key into the back and came back within 5 minutes with it reset. Great.
Had to use the facilities by the time i got in my room - lifted lid and hair on toilet seat and quite a bit on floor of bathroom - also next morning quite a large clump sitting in tub on top of drain. Kind of gross!
Anyway - it wouldn't deter me from staying again just thought the cleaning of the bathroom could have been way better.
June 12, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Annie26 RICS Americas
We had a 4 Day Summit Conference, with people attending from all over the world, and we did not get one complaint. All of your staff were wonderful!
Thank you for a wonderful experience
May 8, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Carbar24 Excellent service and comfortable room.
We stay at the Harbour Castle 2-3 times a year. On both of our recent stays November and December 2013 we have no complaints. Check-in has been quick and the staff members courteous and acknowledged our patronage as SPG members. Both David and Carmela took very good care of us at check ins. Upgraded us to lake view rooms and internet. These added touches make our stay even better and make us feel like valued, loyal guests. We have also had drinks at the lobby bar, service again excellent and polite staff. Love the spicy complimentary snacks at the bar. Bellman also courteous and quick. We will continue to choose this location when staying in downtown Toronto .
December 7, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Jlm12 Huge disappointment
I have stayed at the Weston Harbour Castle at least 50 times over the past 8 years. It has been over 6 months since my last stay and this one experience has ruined my view of the hotel. I was greeted rudely at the Elite Starwood reception desk. Our room was dank and unwelcoming. After a long day we were exhausted but could not sleep due to the loud whistling air conditioner. I did speak to a manager who was unhelpful and spent the majority of the call making excuses. I'm a Starwood gold member, and I am supposed to get 3:00 checkout. When requested it was refused to me. I would hate to see how they treated a first time guest!
August 15, 2013