Rated 3 out of 5 by Ali123 Room was dirty
This weekend July 13th was very special for us, we were celebrating our 3rd year anniversary together and I was proposed to that night.
- arrived to the hotel to find they had no on site parking and valet was apparently full. The only option was to park away from the hotel. Very disappointing.
- Inn the bathroom their was hair in the tub and a used tissue on the floor.
-Hair on the ice bucket and our bed.
Was not impressed on how clean the room was at all.
I was impressed how the hotel looked when we walked in but disappointed how clean the room was.
-It did ruin the perfect weekend we had planned away to celebrate our special day.
July 17, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by iriek Great Location!
I stayed at this hotel on an overnight layover.
I will start out with the pros:
1. I had a lake view room, and the view was spectacular.
2. The room was clean and spacious.
3. My check in process was smooth, and I was offered a late checkout for Sunday.
4. The hotel is right across the street from the stop for the Airport Express Shuttle, which is a cheaper (than taxi) easy way to get to the airport. On Sunday morning, I got to the airport within 30 minutes.
And now the cons:
1. I am not a big fan of paying $15/day for internet.
2. The elevators were actually dirty in the morning. I saw a discarded bag of fast food, and crumbs all over the floor.
3. There were cards for an escort service in the business center.
Overall, I expected a better appearance from a 4 star hotel. But the staff was polite and helpful. I think next time I am stuck in Toronto overnight, I will try somewhere else...
May 12, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by mxmx The worst hotel of its kind
The room walls were dirty and not maintained. I was on 6th floor and the balcony was full of Starbucks cups and cigarettes which were never cleaned during my entire stay of 10 days. I wonder if in this hotel anybody ever cleans the bathroom tiles. There were black dots al over the place and it was obvious they were water spots that were never cleaned. There were also spiders behind the bathroom door. The heater/air-con is so old and unhealthy, plus it makes these crazy noises in the middle of the night, one thinks somebody broke in the room. The room in general is in a very bad shape and the rate you charge for these terrible conditions is honestly beyond me. The noise in the floor was unbelievable. Every night there was another incident. A couple that was fighting banging doors at 3am and screaming, a school group that was screaming and shouting and 4am, it was just pathetic. As for the staff? The lady concierge never smiles and she behaves like she is actually doing everybody a favor. The bartenders also never smile, it looks like they are not happy with what they are doing. In general the staff is not very pleasant, which again for the rate paid is ridiculous. The spa was poorly heated and very poor in amenities even though the girls were polite and pleasant. I was cold the entire time of my massage. I asked that they put the heating on, but they told me it is not working very well that is why it is a "bit" cold. Ridiculous. Not to mention the charge for internet, the empty mini bar and all that which is annoying when one stay in that hotel category, but we all unfortunately put up with in N. America. I will never stay in this hotel in my life and I travel 20 days out of a month. I was very glad when I left.
November 12, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by StuG4395 Great staff
We had a great experience for our stay.our. only problem was the guests above us made a lot of noise late at night. I called and was attened to by Michelle who resolved the problem personally. She went out of her way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. Every hotel should have a Michelle. Thank you so very much.
May 13, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Skycaptain Room Fixes
Door to washroom was very loud, creaking and squeaking all the way through open and close (first time this has happened, stayed Westin many times). It was unpleasant having to wake up every time a member of my party used the restroom at night while everyone else was asleep. The main door did not close fully when let go to close on its own. Had to pull it shut. We would have left our items unsecure had we not returned to the room for a forgotten item. Breakfast food items are very expensive ($3 for apple juice), something to keep in mind. Good location. Always enjoy stay at Westin however. Hotel of choice in Toronto for four star.
July 30, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by QuincyNYC I love Juan
Upon my check in there was a problem with my reservation. The company who flew me to Toronto for a conference, who made the reservation inverted my first and last name. Juan was more than accommodating. He investigated, realized the problem and got me checked in quick fast and a hurry. He also got me to join the Starwood Rewards Program and upgraded me to a King Room on the Penthouse floor. Having spent the previous night in a hostel, this was EXACTLY what the doctor ordered! I couldn't have asked for a better, much needed restful time at the Westin. My only wish is that I could have stayed longer. My vie was incredible as well. Overall Juan was so pleasant, engaging, friendly, positive. I was initially upset and tired after travel and he diffused the situation, disarming me with his charm and humor so that by the end of the check-in, I was in a good mood. His manager on duty (whose name I don't remember. Was equally helpful when there was a problem with my credit card. All turned out more than fine. When I return, I hope to be able to stay there. The Spa is amazing and having access to steam and sauna at the gym is PHENOMENAL. And the pool is quite impressive for a hotel pool. and though I have no children of my own, I really cool that they have a childrens' play area in sight from the pool for parents wanting to swim while kids play.
May 19, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by JRDD Not up to standards!
I was greatly disappointed with my recent westin experience at the Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto. In many ways it was not up to the standards I've come to expect from Westin.
Let me start with the room:
- A distinct and horrible mildew smell permeated the room. Most of which was coming from the bathroom area. In fact, the smell was so horrible in the bathroom I could barely spend any time in there without holding my breath.
- Upon use, it was clear the drains in both sink and bath were severely clogged, backing up water. I imagine this was the cause of the horrible mildew smell. Clearly they never clean the drains out.
- Hot water was non-existent and I took showers both days with lukewarm water. On occasion throughout showering and with no forewarning, the water would run completely cold for upwards of 1-2 minutes.
- "Heavenly Shower" HA! Only one of the showerheads worked, the other was clogged.
- The bathroom was maintained in a substandard fashion, as no bath supplies, other than soap, were placed there during my entire stay. The magnifying mirror was loose and rickety. The countertop water-spotted and dirty.
- The room temperature could not be regulated and was constantly overly warm, no matter how much I turned down the temperature on the thermostat.
- The heat/air system was extremely noisy.
- The room was not overly clean, as there were spots on the ceiling and marks on the walls.
- The Mizzen Restaurant in the hotel was mediocre. Food was average and fruits and vegetables were not fresh.
- The Staff in the Mizzen restaurant was rude and not accomodating, in fact, the greeter was placing everyone clumped in tables next to each other in the back of the restaurant (its a large space). When she was asked by a guest if they could move closer to the front of the room, she was overheard to say "NO, those are reserved", yet during the entire time in the restaurant NO ONE ever sat in the area near the front or further deep into the restaurant.
- The prices in the restaturant were OUTRAGEOUS for substandard food. $18 CAD for a bowl of "seasonal fruit" that had a few pieces of unripe melon, unripe pineapple and four sour strawberries is ridiculous.
All I can say is DO NOT go to this hotel if you want the standard Westin service.
December 10, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by fieldbus Great view of the lake and the islands
Staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Would suggest the flat screen tv's on the wall should be a little larger. Proximity to subway and local restaurants and bars is excellent.
May 15, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bruce1355 Old Tired Hotel with very poor service
1. No plug for the Tub, when we called front desk they did not seem to care and we never did get to use the tub
2. We received key to our room and went up in the elevator only to find no room existed called to front desk and they were rude telling me that there were two towers and we had gone up the wrong tower as though I should have known
3. Bathroom Door was very noisy as a result had to leave it open during the night
4. Grill over the bathroom exhaust fan was hanging down from the ceiling
5. One of swivel switch on the table light missing
6. Air conditioning fan was very noisy so either put up with noise, not sleep or be hot
7. Red lights on the phone started flashing at 5 am that woke us up, and it was hotel flashing to tell us invoice was ready, went down to front desk to tell them how disruptive it was and never did anything about turning it off
8. We had to clean the room of dust and dirt behind the TV and other areas that took little extra care to clean
9. Room did not look like a deep cleaning had been done for a very long time
10. Having a drink in the bar around 11 pm with a number of us that were attending conference moved chairs to be able to chat together, bar tender told us we could not move the chairs as a hotel policy most of us got up and left not finishing our drinks
11. I had call twice to make the room reservations and change in arrival dates each time I confirmed with them I required two adjoining rooms, on arrival they did not have information correct and only when I asked about other Hotels in the area to go to did they get a manager out to get us what we had asked for. Did not receive confirmation by email for the room reservation
12. At the banquet dinner which cost me $116.00 the steak was so over done it was dry and tasteless. The desert dishes were actually dropped in front of us without asking what we wanted for desert. No coffee after dinner, and some of the plates were picked up off the table before they finished eating
13. One of the people at our table told them clearly that she could not have sea food on her plate, but the dinners were dropped on the table and we had to sort out who order what and she had to send her meal back as all dinners had shrimp on them. After a very long time she received her meal long time later and ended up finishing her meal while desert was being served
14. Our breakfast buffet ran out of eggs and bacon which took very long time to be refilled and was over stocked with all kinds of muffins and such
15. The staff raced to clean up so they could presumably go home
16. When got my car back from $ 40.00 per day charges it was filthy had to stop on way home at a car wash
17. Week before that had put up one of my clients overnight in the Detroit Air Port Westin Hotel and service; room and everything was wonderful would have rated it a 5 star Hotel
June 20, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by kktravel good location and service
Checked in with heavy bags for a meeting - went up to room - key wouldn't work - had to go back down to lobby with all my bags - at least 5 people in line to check-in so i went to Concierge with no line - the girl there took my key into the back and came back within 5 minutes with it reset. Great.
Had to use the facilities by the time i got in my room - lifted lid and hair on toilet seat and quite a bit on floor of bathroom - also next morning quite a large clump sitting in tub on top of drain. Kind of gross!
Anyway - it wouldn't deter me from staying again just thought the cleaning of the bathroom could have been way better.
June 12, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Carbar24 Excellent service and comfortable room.
We stay at the Harbour Castle 2-3 times a year. On both of our recent stays November and December 2013 we have no complaints. Check-in has been quick and the staff members courteous and acknowledged our patronage as SPG members. Both David and Carmela took very good care of us at check ins. Upgraded us to lake view rooms and internet. These added touches make our stay even better and make us feel like valued, loyal guests. We have also had drinks at the lobby bar, service again excellent and polite staff. Love the spicy complimentary snacks at the bar. Bellman also courteous and quick. We will continue to choose this location when staying in downtown Toronto .
December 7, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Jlm12 Huge disappointment
I have stayed at the Weston Harbour Castle at least 50 times over the past 8 years. It has been over 6 months since my last stay and this one experience has ruined my view of the hotel. I was greeted rudely at the Elite Starwood reception desk. Our room was dank and unwelcoming. After a long day we were exhausted but could not sleep due to the loud whistling air conditioner. I did speak to a manager who was unhelpful and spent the majority of the call making excuses. I'm a Starwood gold member, and I am supposed to get 3:00 checkout. When requested it was refused to me. I would hate to see how they treated a first time guest!
August 15, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by deepvisual worst service in my career
quite simply the worst service I have ever had in a hotel.
I was checked into the wrong room, so couldn't access the internet.
I then tried for 45 mins to call reception but only got an engaged tone. In the end I went down, queued for ten minutes and finally got dealt with.
except nothing happened. I was told to enter someone else's name, but not how to spell it.
I went downstairs a total of 4 times to complain about the phone not working and each time was promised action which never materialised. On the final time, I made it clear it was the worst hotel I ever stayed in. Still nothing.
The whole time I was polite and patient, but to no avail. Shocking service.
October 30, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by penman51 the hotel is a great place to stay
our visit was very accommodating.
Food was great and everyone offered great service.
There were some creamers at the coffee terminal that were sour and would have been better if powder or kept in fridge.
outside of that it was great.
May 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dallas27 Heavenly bed and Great view
Everything from the time I walked out of my car, to the time I left was super! Great customer service, food, gym facilities, event facilities, etc. Oh and the 'heavenly bed' with the water front view!! Thank you!
May 12, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by mjsl Did not match previous experience, or my expectations
When I checked in at 9:30 pm on a Friday, it took 30 minutes to get to the counter (5 people/families ahead of me,and only 2 staff). Because of the the long wait, the hotel attendant 'upgraded' my room from a 'City View' to a 'Lake View' room, which was a nice gesture. However as soon as I got into my room I could hear (loudly) the wind whistling through the window. The window did not have a good seal, and there was a strong wind off the lake that night. I debated for about 5 minutes, and finally decided to call the front desk and ask if I could change to the other side of the hotel. However, the phone didn't work when I tried to call the front desk. I tried a few times, and then decided to use my cell phone. However, by this time the wind had died down (temporarily it turned out), and I was tired, so I decided to stay in the room. When I used the sink in the bathroom, the drain was plugged, and after running the water for only about 10 seconds, it was backed up, with grimy soap film, and toothpaste floating in the sink. Altogether it was a disappointing stay, and did not match my previous experience at this hotel.
May 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by sandydog Sales Manager
Great location to downtown
Excellent hotel, food, and staff
Very friendly service and staff most helpful
May 12, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Hemmy33 Westin Harbour Castle - November 2012
The overall impression that I had of the facility was positive. The location is great if you want to go for a run by the lake however it is a 15 minute walk to get to any of the action in DT Toronto. My room was tidy however it was in need of some general repairs (paint peeling from the ceiling in the bathroom and the light over the shower did not work which meant you had to prop the door open in order not to shower in the dark). The staff was friendly and accomodating however I left my IPOD in the room and it has been more than 48 hours and still have not received a call from lost and found after leaving 2 messages.
November 7, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by moncar I always like staying at this hotel
When we were at the Westin Harbour Castle last Sunday, two of our sons also had rooms. We are the only one with a SPG card, and we have Gold status. I was very dissapointed to hear that we paid at least $50.00 more for our room than our sons did. We had requested a room with a comfy chair since my husband sometimes can't sleep in the bed. Is an armchair worth $50.00? The only way we could get this chair was to book a Junioe suite. The only difference between our room and that of our son, Kevin , was the armchair. His room was considerably less and he is not a SPG member. Please tell me what good our gold status is?
May 26, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by GC10 Excellent Location
Good facilties for meetings
May 11, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Annie26 RICS Americas
We had a 4 Day Summit Conference, with people attending from all over the world, and we did not get one complaint. All of your staff were wonderful!
Thank you for a wonderful experience
May 8, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Jcorvair Great Hotel, less than truthful staff
I loved almost everything about the hotel until it was time to leave. The baggage services desk told me they could get me a car at the same price as a taxi and it would be waiting for me when I left. When I got to the airport I found out that the price was much more than a taxi because the price quoted did not include HST, but taxi prices do. Then the driver could not give me an official receipt. The driver said he could email me a receipt no problem. No receipt has arrived and I called the hotel to complain and they said they would look into it and get back to me. No response yet.
March 6, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Unhappy Are you kidding?!
We made the huge mistake of booking during March break - no pool or hot tub use available as it was overrun by kiddos.
The add- on fees were astronomical -$17/day for WiFi. What?! $27 for the breakfast buffet that is comparable to the free buffet offered at lesser priced hotels.
We had a couple minor issues that became big problems due to the lack of response by the staff. After a number (5) conversations we were credited 2 nights accommodation - but not really because $800 in charges later we have had to put a stop payment on our visa. Now off the the telephone for more time dealing with the Westin HC's pathetic excuse for customer service.
So much for a relaxing vacation!
March 18, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by Luvtrvl Very tired, old, poorly maintained
This is the worst Westin I have ever stayed at and I'm a platinum member. The hotel is in a superior location and has amazing views of Lake Ontario. The hotel is poorly maintained (we had to switch rooms because the first assigned room was dirty and looked like it hadn't been dusted in weeks.). The hallways and rooms are in dire need of painting. The bathrooms are old and very small. The carpet in our "suite" was nasty and shredded near the entrance to bathroom and opening door. The wallpaper was bubbled in places and furniture scraped. Not a good representation for Westin quality. I wouldn't use your suite awards for this place as the room was not of "suite" size nor quality.
August 5, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Murduf77 A Great Stay!
Check-in was slow, but the man was helpful and told us all we needed to know. We up-graded to a room-with-a view of the lake. Fantastic! Valet parking easy and efficient, but we thought expensive. Paperless check-out good.
May 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Bart123 An excellent hotel conveniently situated.
This hotel has very friendly, helpful staff. It is clean and the beds are very comfortable and the rooms well appointed. It is centrally situated with views over the lake and is in close proximity to the airport shuttle bus stop.
May 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Rollingjones Service in this hotel was excellent
I have stayed in top hotels all over the world so it's a little hard to surprise me but Westin Harbour Castle did just that! From check-in with Sean, who went out of his way to ensure I had a nice room, to the room service which was extremely quick and efficient to the room service menu which had very healthy food. I had a bad cold and really needed a place to stay warm and comfortable for my demanding trip. Not only did I get that but I also had a perfect view of the lake and nourishing food which helped make a tough business trip much better. Thanks to the staff at Westin for being so good at what you do!
February 26, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Dave1129 Very Disappointed
I recently stayed at the Toronto Westin and was completely disappointed with the service the staff and the room. I stood in line for approximately 15 minutes to get checked in. When I arrived in the room it was dirty, the pull out couch was broken. The Terrace door was left open and the room was freezing. There was such a large draft coming from the door that the room never warmed up. I forgot my BB charger and asked the front desk if I could sign one out. They said no you can give us your phone we will charge it you need to come back in an hour. Nothing like a lack of respect and confidentiality. The room was dirty my feet were black within an hour. Not happy and would to recommend this hotel.
February 10, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Sue50 Westin Harbour Toronto
Overall great hotel - maid needs to notice damaged items in room and request repairs ex. Broken bathroom door, leaking tap in bathroom. Pay for upgrade - the view is worth it alone.
May 5, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by ASalk Heavenly bed heavenly view
I always enjoy stays here. Was upgraded to harbour view room, and the view was breathtaking (2922 South). Heavenly bed was as advertised. After checking out I discovered I'd left something behind, so I called the hotel and the incredibly friendly staff sent someone to look for it. (Turns out, I'm apparently blind, found it when unpacking)
Minor criticism: Proximity to stairs and ice machine (but quiet night, so not an issue), the bathroom could use coat of paint, and there was a problem with the bedside phone. Line 2 light constant flashing, tried to change lines, couldn't get a dial tone. I just unplugged it (and forgot to mention it). Desk phone works no problem.
Great stay overall.
December 15, 2013