Rated 5 out of 5 by Maria825 All around great experience!
My sister and I recently stayed at The Westin Mission Hills over 4th of July weekend for a relaxing trip (and our first time to Palm Springs). The resort exceeded our expectations. All staff were fantastic from concierge to bartenders to pool side staff! Walking to our room at any time at least 2 different shuttles stopped to see if we wanted a ride. The wait staff at the pool were friendly and remembered us each day. Daniel and the rest of the bartenders at the Fireside Lounge were awesome, friendly, and gave us great recommendations for the area. Not to mention, the property was beautiful. Would definitely come back and recommend to anyone visiting Palm Springs!
July 7, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by tdeleon74 Wonderful stay
We visited The Westin this past weekend. Right from the beginning the staff was super friendly and helpful. Daria at the reception desk was awesome. Personally I think she should be in a management position she was friendly, professional, and helpful. Victor our waiter was great! The staff overall was five star.. Hotel room was amazing and the facility was second to none. The A/C worked great. Good thing because it was 112 degrees outside. Pools were clean and well stocked. They Gym was incredible. We're definitely coming back next year.
July 7, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Disgustedvisitor Terrible Stay !
From the beginning, Things in the room did not work. Toilet would not flush. Can you imagine that in the middle of the night ! ! !
The key would not open the door. This happened FOUR times. At one point I had to walk down to the lobby at midnight, in a blowing sandstorm to get another key. Next day, same thing - key did NOT work again.
I told them to cancel my stay, I was checking out.
I was handed a final bill & my credit card was charged THREE times the amount on my final invoice.
Just a horrible experience. I will tell everyone I know & everyone at work to stay away from this place !
June 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by RosalieD room size
This hotel has very spacious rooms. Lots of room to work and relax. Bathroom was huge! Closet was more than ample and larger than my home closets!
June 23, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by MH245 Nice suite, but that was about it
Aside from the nice suite, the rest of the resort was a disappointment....from random charges that can't be explained, to a very very limited room service menu and restaurant, slow response time for extra pillows (and annoying calls asking if they'd arrived...would be okay, but not after having to wait an hour), disappointing pool slide that was closed 95% of the time, pool wait staff that were more concerned with chatting with each other behind the bar instead of bringing our drinks and then taking almost an hour to bring my debit card back, plus the very limited parking by our room...not fun to hike a mile in 100+ degree weather... Our room wasn't ready for almost an hour after check in time, but at least they honored a late check out the next day. Just got another email from my bank that I was charged more than my receipt, so going to have to call. Definitely will not be back here!!
June 30, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Love2Relax No sleep, hidden fees, horrible food, terrible service and more!
I will NEVER stay here again & I feel I have to let others know they should stay anywhere else but here.
Hotels at this price point are allowed to have 1-2 mistakes/problems but the Westin in Rancho Mirage has a long list of problems.
"Never judge a book by it's cover" holds true here. When you drive up, the front, the lobby & courtyard are all lovely. The grounds are lovely, clean & well kept. That is if you don't look at the buildings where the rooms are, those are hideous.
That is where it ends. The smoke screen disappears, reality of this Westin smacks you in the face & continues to do so until you leave.
1. We had a "pool view", deluxe room. There was nothing deluxe about the room. The pool view was minimal & should not cost extra.
2. We were on the first floor. We could hear every step, movement, flush, sliding glass door, closet door, water, everything! Other guests told me kids were riding scooters in the room above them and it sounded like a pack of elephants. When the sliding glass door is opened on the second floor it sounds like thunder in your 1st floor room.
3. Internet- IS NOT FREE, it is part of the "resort fee". It is slow and often doesn't work. Your cell phone hardly works either.
4. I love the Westin's Heavenly Bed. Not at this Westin. The duvet cover is so worn out, the velcro that keeps the duvet in, no longer sticks together. When you get in bed, you have this duvet on you & open velcro with the duvet hanging out. Both nights I had to remake the bed so the worn out velcro was at the bottom & not on my face. Nothing heavenly about that.
5. TV- the remote doesn't turn the tv on, you have to do it manually. It controls volume & changes the channel only, it doesn't turn the tv on or off. The color, & picture are awful, face are red, pictures are blury. There are only a few channel options & in a kid friendly hotel, they have nothing for kids past 4pm so you are forced to PAY for your child to watch something appropriate while you are getting ready.
6. Bathroom- In our "deluxe" room, the toilet & shower/tub are in a cave with a lightbulb that is so dim you are in the dark. The shower/tub is the kind you find in a cheap motel. There is a plastic, $5. full length mirror on the back of the cave door. You can't stand back to see yourself because the closet is behind you.
7. Mini Bar- I ate a small pack of almonds priced at $10.00. When I went to the front desk to check my bill, it had the almonds charged at $13.05. A service charge of $3.05 was added to the $10. price for the almonds.The Westin charges the guest to have an employee refill the mini bar. Mini bar items are already marked up 1000% & every hotel refills the mini bar to make more money. I feel violated by this disgusting greedy fee.
8. Mandatory fees & taxes - You are charged a $27. resort charge + a $15. Occupancy/Tourism Tax + TOT/BID Assessment + tax on the Occupancy/Tourism Tax of $15. all PER NIGHT. This adds up to an additional $47.70 per night on top of your room rate.
9. The "Travel Traders" sundry shop ought to be shut down. It is NOT a Starbucks, it just serves Starbucks coffee. I waited 35 minutes in line the first morning to buy some bagels/cream cheese and coffees. Expensive is not a strong enough word. This was more expensive than airport prices. They had run out of knives to spread the cream cheese and there were TWO people working. The line was out the door and TWO people were working. The next morning, I only waited 10 minutes but there was nothing in the case but some cake looking thing. I asked what it was and the guy said "banana walnut bread". I asked where the bagels were and I was told "We looked and this is all that came in this morning." Spring break, sold out hotel and nothing! I ordered the banana walnut cake, coffee, paid my $30. and went to the pool. Sat down, everyone started eating. It was dry, stale apple walnut cake. One piece was moldy. Maybe that is why it was so expensive? I am also wondering if it is the Westin or Travel Traders llc that is trying to shove religion down our throats. There is a full wall and a turning rack of religious books for sale in this place. I found this offensive.
10. The pool area is crowded which is fine with me but the service is horrid. When you order a drink, it takes at least 30 minutes to get it. There is trash everywhere. The staff does not clean throughout the day. I saw a beer can floating in the pool. Many kids are riding scooters around the crowded pool. This is dangerous and should not be allowed. The staff said it is not allowed but nobody stopped a single kid while I was there.
11. Restaurants- The site says they have 5 restaurants.
1. The main restaurant which has no kids menu. Interesting for a kid friendly hotel. The service is terrible & slow. The food is boring and overpriced.
2. The pool "restaurant" which is a walk up counter. (or at your lounge chair if you want an hour + wait) This menu is tiny & only has one healthy option.
3. The bar/lounge food which is pieces from the main restaurant menu.
4. Room Service
This is not 5 restaurants. This is 1 restaurant.
12. Spa- While at the spa, the leaf blower was blasting & loud. Not relaxing.
13. Front desk- At check in there was a line 8 people long with 2 people working. This was spring break & the hotel was sold out but they only had 2 of the 8 check in desks open. The rooms were messed up, they weren't ready, they weren't anywhere near our friends as requested, actually as far away as possible!
I was overcharged for items & charged for food at the pool which I never ordered. I had to spend time reviewing the bill & then discuss the mistakes to be removed. This took time as the person helping me had no idea what she was doing. (It was almost funny) When I explained I had a $50. spa credit with my room package, she said we would have to wait an hour until the spa opens to call and check that I had a spa service because the amount on my bill was showing $64.90 and no services would come to that amount. She said I must have bought merchandise and the spa credit was not allowed to be used for merchandise. I explained that I got a $55. pedicure and then tipped 18% which is why the total was $64.90. It took me at least ten minutes of explaining that for her to realize I had gotten a spa service and she should take $50. off of my bill.
14. At 10:15pm there were kids and adults playing marco-polo, screaming and splashing in the adult pool outside of our "deluxe pool view room". I called the front desk to complain but I got a voicemail asking me to leave a message. I tried again, same thing. I really wanted my 6 year old to get some sleep! I had to call 6 times to reach someone and then wait another 35 minutes for someone to show up and make everyone leave the pool.
I am in total shock by this experience. I have stayed at some of the finest hotels and some of the cheapest hotels all over the place. I have NEVER been charged $3.05 on top of the $10. for a mini bar item because of hidden fees so the hotel can keep having the guest pay, pay, pay!
I have never had such horrible service across the board. I have been to Palm Springs/Palm Desert/ Rancho Mirage 4 times in the last year and I can say, I would rather stay home than stay at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa. Starwood should take away the Starwood for this place!
April 5, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Grant713 Very disapointing experience
When you check into a Westin you always expect a first class hotel, but this particular Westin was terrible. Starting from when I tried to talk to human being at the hotel and not someone in reservation land, it was a bad experience for me and my family members. The overpriced suite location was terrible, our view of the parking lot was not what you expect from a Westin. The facilities in the spa were broken. Checkin staff were not welcoming. Construction noise at 7.00am on Monday woke everyone up. Worst hotel experience in years!
April 20, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Niecee1011 Second Time Here
We just had our second visit to this resort and all I can say is WOW!! From the time we checked in until the time we checked out, the service was exceptional. We were warmly greeted by the front desk, our receptionist was very personable and friendly. We were easily able to check in prior to the check in time into our room on the ground floor in the building closest to the pool. There was plenty of parking, which made it easy to unload our luggage and walk straight to our room. The room was clean, spacious, plenty of amenities, and the patio view of ducks was great - my toddler loved that! The pool was clean and the pool service was amazing. The server we had was very attentive to us and we never had an empty drink in hand. My toddler had a blast with all the new friends she met there. In addition, there was also a bounce house for the kids right next to the pool! She was entertained the entire trip. When we got back to the room, it was nice and cleaned by housekeeping. We spent most of our time at the pool this whole trip, that by the time we were done, we just wanted to relax in the comfort of our room. We didn’t get to check out the restaurants, but I can say the pool food and drinks were pretty darn good! Overall, this stay was 100 percent better than the last and I will definitely be back again.
June 16, 2014