Rated 3 out of 5 by Zeroforthree Needs improvement
The staff is friendly and helpful across the board, but the stay was disappointing. Lowlight of stay was being essentially thrown out of adult-only pool for a private event, without any acknowledgment or apology from any management level person. This after days of having multiple jacuzzis being renovated simultaneously. There was always at least one jacuzzi open, but usually at the crowded noisy and unpleasant child focused pool. Food choices very very limited and quite dear. Spa experience was like an assembly line, except for the receptionist. Lots of details wrong in room ( e.g. if you plug your devices into the hidden recharging station the cabinet won't close. The mini refrigerator is in a cabinet, but the doors open in opposite directions so it is struggle to use. There is no light near coffee station, so you need room light to brew, waking up your roommate.). The outdoor spa jacuzzi is next to a busy road. And so on. The property is beautifully maintained and manicured, but doesn't quite get customer care correct. And this was the off season!
October 29, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Thomas18 Ants
This room had an ant problem in the shower, on the bathroom sink, and on the ight stands next to bed. Very small ants, at first I thought they were fleas or bed bugs. I notified the staff, but I could not tell if anything was done about it while I was in conference. The worst part is the ants all over my tooth brush!
November 15, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Mariaclara14 Terrible!
Sadly a very bad welcome, unresponsive staff, had to carry luggage upstairs , felt like a motel. Room with no view and very far from lobby. We were willing to pay for any upgrade possible but were semt to a medocre and far away room after paying for the only upgrade offered. A family celebration gone sour!
Definately not a resort service. Never again!
November 15, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Traveler007 Good Food, not so Good Attention to Detail.
As SPG Platinum, or even Gold for that matter, you would think you would be considered a valued guest. Not the case with this place. In fact they put us in a room, with a good view of our car and the car park. You would not even know there was a Golf course if it wasn't for seeing it as you walk in. The Mini bars are weight based. That is to say, they know if you use it based on less weight when its removed and then charge you. Good efficiency, however nobody checks it because they know you have not used it. Enter me, who wants a coke, I pick one out and cokes past is used date. In back most of it was, this is because staff don't need to check it they know guest have not used it. So be aware of that. The room beds, are good. The staff will fix and address issues promptly too when its brought to there attention. And the breakfast and food well thats five star. And I have eaten every where from French Laundry to Michael Mina, and in and out. The food and who ever runs the service in there, and restaurant.. it is a class above the resort itself. Would I go again? No.not unless I was invited. I don't want to look at a car all night. The recognition of SPG guests is not important to them. Its a service and extra comfort that is important to me.
November 15, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Love2Relax No sleep, hidden fees, horrible food, terrible service and more!
I will NEVER stay here again & I feel I have to let others know they should stay anywhere else but here.
Hotels at this price point are allowed to have 1-2 mistakes/problems but the Westin in Rancho Mirage has a long list of problems.
"Never judge a book by it's cover" holds true here. When you drive up, the front, the lobby & courtyard are all lovely. The grounds are lovely, clean & well kept. That is if you don't look at the buildings where the rooms are, those are hideous.
That is where it ends. The smoke screen disappears, reality of this Westin smacks you in the face & continues to do so until you leave.
1. We had a "pool view", deluxe room. There was nothing deluxe about the room. The pool view was minimal & should not cost extra.
2. We were on the first floor. We could hear every step, movement, flush, sliding glass door, closet door, water, everything! Other guests told me kids were riding scooters in the room above them and it sounded like a pack of elephants. When the sliding glass door is opened on the second floor it sounds like thunder in your 1st floor room.
3. Internet- IS NOT FREE, it is part of the "resort fee". It is slow and often doesn't work. Your cell phone hardly works either.
4. I love the Westin's Heavenly Bed. Not at this Westin. The duvet cover is so worn out, the velcro that keeps the duvet in, no longer sticks together. When you get in bed, you have this duvet on you & open velcro with the duvet hanging out. Both nights I had to remake the bed so the worn out velcro was at the bottom & not on my face. Nothing heavenly about that.
5. TV- the remote doesn't turn the tv on, you have to do it manually. It controls volume & changes the channel only, it doesn't turn the tv on or off. The color, & picture are awful, face are red, pictures are blury. There are only a few channel options & in a kid friendly hotel, they have nothing for kids past 4pm so you are forced to PAY for your child to watch something appropriate while you are getting ready.
6. Bathroom- In our "deluxe" room, the toilet & shower/tub are in a cave with a lightbulb that is so dim you are in the dark. The shower/tub is the kind you find in a cheap motel. There is a plastic, $5. full length mirror on the back of the cave door. You can't stand back to see yourself because the closet is behind you.
7. Mini Bar- I ate a small pack of almonds priced at $10.00. When I went to the front desk to check my bill, it had the almonds charged at $13.05. A service charge of $3.05 was added to the $10. price for the almonds.The Westin charges the guest to have an employee refill the mini bar. Mini bar items are already marked up 1000% & every hotel refills the mini bar to make more money. I feel violated by this disgusting greedy fee.
8. Mandatory fees & taxes - You are charged a $27. resort charge + a $15. Occupancy/Tourism Tax + TOT/BID Assessment + tax on the Occupancy/Tourism Tax of $15. all PER NIGHT. This adds up to an additional $47.70 per night on top of your room rate.
9. The "Travel Traders" sundry shop ought to be shut down. It is NOT a Starbucks, it just serves Starbucks coffee. I waited 35 minutes in line the first morning to buy some bagels/cream cheese and coffees. Expensive is not a strong enough word. This was more expensive than airport prices. They had run out of knives to spread the cream cheese and there were TWO people working. The line was out the door and TWO people were working. The next morning, I only waited 10 minutes but there was nothing in the case but some cake looking thing. I asked what it was and the guy said "banana walnut bread". I asked where the bagels were and I was told "We looked and this is all that came in this morning." Spring break, sold out hotel and nothing! I ordered the banana walnut cake, coffee, paid my $30. and went to the pool. Sat down, everyone started eating. It was dry, stale apple walnut cake. One piece was moldy. Maybe that is why it was so expensive? I am also wondering if it is the Westin or Travel Traders llc that is trying to shove religion down our throats. There is a full wall and a turning rack of religious books for sale in this place. I found this offensive.
10. The pool area is crowded which is fine with me but the service is horrid. When you order a drink, it takes at least 30 minutes to get it. There is trash everywhere. The staff does not clean throughout the day. I saw a beer can floating in the pool. Many kids are riding scooters around the crowded pool. This is dangerous and should not be allowed. The staff said it is not allowed but nobody stopped a single kid while I was there.
11. Restaurants- The site says they have 5 restaurants.
1. The main restaurant which has no kids menu. Interesting for a kid friendly hotel. The service is terrible & slow. The food is boring and overpriced.
2. The pool "restaurant" which is a walk up counter. (or at your lounge chair if you want an hour + wait) This menu is tiny & only has one healthy option.
3. The bar/lounge food which is pieces from the main restaurant menu.
4. Room Service
This is not 5 restaurants. This is 1 restaurant.
12. Spa- While at the spa, the leaf blower was blasting & loud. Not relaxing.
13. Front desk- At check in there was a line 8 people long with 2 people working. This was spring break & the hotel was sold out but they only had 2 of the 8 check in desks open. The rooms were messed up, they weren't ready, they weren't anywhere near our friends as requested, actually as far away as possible!
I was overcharged for items & charged for food at the pool which I never ordered. I had to spend time reviewing the bill & then discuss the mistakes to be removed. This took time as the person helping me had no idea what she was doing. (It was almost funny) When I explained I had a $50. spa credit with my room package, she said we would have to wait an hour until the spa opens to call and check that I had a spa service because the amount on my bill was showing $64.90 and no services would come to that amount. She said I must have bought merchandise and the spa credit was not allowed to be used for merchandise. I explained that I got a $55. pedicure and then tipped 18% which is why the total was $64.90. It took me at least ten minutes of explaining that for her to realize I had gotten a spa service and she should take $50. off of my bill.
14. At 10:15pm there were kids and adults playing marco-polo, screaming and splashing in the adult pool outside of our "deluxe pool view room". I called the front desk to complain but I got a voicemail asking me to leave a message. I tried again, same thing. I really wanted my 6 year old to get some sleep! I had to call 6 times to reach someone and then wait another 35 minutes for someone to show up and make everyone leave the pool.
I am in total shock by this experience. I have stayed at some of the finest hotels and some of the cheapest hotels all over the place. I have NEVER been charged $3.05 on top of the $10. for a mini bar item because of hidden fees so the hotel can keep having the guest pay, pay, pay!
I have never had such horrible service across the board. I have been to Palm Springs/Palm Desert/ Rancho Mirage 4 times in the last year and I can say, I would rather stay home than stay at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa. Starwood should take away the Starwood for this place!
April 5, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Grant713 Very disapointing experience
When you check into a Westin you always expect a first class hotel, but this particular Westin was terrible. Starting from when I tried to talk to human being at the hotel and not someone in reservation land, it was a bad experience for me and my family members. The overpriced suite location was terrible, our view of the parking lot was not what you expect from a Westin. The facilities in the spa were broken. Checkin staff were not welcoming. Construction noise at 7.00am on Monday woke everyone up. Worst hotel experience in years!
April 20, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Helen1 Disappointing stay this time
My family and I have stayed at this several times and it came very highly recommended. The last visit was disappointing, the room was not clean, there was trash under the beds and dressers and even a dead cricket or two which I happened to pick up thinking it was a piece of a trash. The safe didn't work and I waited quite some time for the hotel services to come and fix it, waited with them for over a half an hour while they changes the batteries only to come back to my room later to find an error code and the safe door open with all my belongings in there. It's a beautiful resort, the cleanliness was not what you would expect from this caliber of hotel.
August 15, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by weber1 The tennis pro was outstanding
The hotel and room exceeded our expectations for comfort and relaxed atmosphere. The tennis pro provided us with exceptional service, even at 7:30pm.
November 12, 2014