Rated 5 out of 5 Relaxing and renewing vacation
Room was beautiful with wonderful view of gardens and pool areas. Restaurant staff could not have been sweeter -- we were so warmly greeted by old friends (like family!) and welcomed by new ones. Pools and hot tubs were so relaxing and refreshing (although it was a little competitive to get a pool chair with shade). We saw a whale (beyond the end of the season!), preying mantis on door (coolest thing according to the 5-year-old), tadpoles in the ponds and froggies hopping across the lawn at dusk. We also saw wonderful stars, planets and full moon in the sky. Our wonderful vacation calm aura stayed with me over a week after returning to my hectic job. Perfect!
May 18, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Soupy Okay but not the service you normally get at a westin !!!
We have just recently stayed at the resort on a westin 5 day package and although we were upgraded to a "ocean view" room it was hardly a peak thru the trees at best and we were staying on the 5th floor. Our sons had pre arranged for a fruit plate ($ 46) to be delivered at 8:00 am on Mother's Day and by 8:30 it was still not there. When they phoned to find out what was wrong they were told that they were to busy and would have to bring it later. When we returned from our days events they showed up with the plate covered in plastic and I really have to wonder why this could not of been there that morning for a wonderful surprise. After about and hour trying to get ahold of the manager on duty Iam was told they would remove it from my sons credit card. I guess that makes everything alright in there eyes. Any how I really am not one to complain about insignificant things but I just found the overall feeling staying at this westin not like any others I have stayed at. This in my opinion is below the standards westin has set. They have a great location nice beach to lay on and water is good for snorkelling (coral no sand in water) rooms were comfy and roomy. On site pool bar restaurants are mediocre at best. If you are going on the package great but I would not book a week here and would check out the other SPG resorts in the area or others.
May 17, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Will808 Not What We Thought...
After a long deployment, my wife and I decided on a vacation in Maui and thought we would stay at the best and reserve the best room they had available. We reserved an Ocean View 1 bedroom villa but we got a 1 bedroom pool view villa. We paid almost $400 extra to receive the ocean view room, but when we inquired about the room we were told this was the ocean view room???? Really, where??
May 14, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Mike Overall good experience - 2 criticisms
We just completed our vacation at the Westin Ocean Villas. The facility was outstanding for families, with spacious and clean rooms, great cleaning staff and pool attendants.
We have two areas of concern in terms of a returning trip.
1. We booked an Ocean view room. The room we were assigned (2110) would certainly not qualify. We met another family in the same situation. We were both given different (much better) rooms for our 2nd nights (through departure). The hotel should be a lot more careful about how it represents these rooms.
2. Food and Drink: The menus at the poolside facilities leave a bit to be desired. In particular, the drinks (cocktails) were TERRIBLE (weak) to the point that I believe the bad is watering down the spirits. The staff explained that the weakness was due to Hawaii law (laughable - other hotels are much better). Secondly, the wait staff (with a few exceptions) were slow and even unemotional. An opportunity for improvement. We would not eat at the facility much if we were to return.
April 22, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by eagca Not non-smoking!
Smoking is permitted on the patios of ALL rooms. I am now in a wonderful room that is next to a person who is a chain smoker, so I am forced inside the room with all doors closed to prevent smelling their nasty habit! This is a VERY bad policy by Starwood, who lie about being smoke-free! The smoke enters my room if I leave the door open and stinks up the whole place! Starwood should BAN ALL smoking--on the patios, in the stairwells, and on the property! They don't, and it is a very negative aspect of my stay.
October 23, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by islanddreamer3 Happy in Kaanapali
We had read many reviews before going on
our trip and they gave us a little trepidation in
going. Thankfully, we were very pleased with
our stay. We did not ask for a certain room or
a certain floor. We had a semi-ocean view
from the bottom floor. Noise from the pool
area was not an issue at all. We found the
hotel and staff to be very pleasing. Staff were
very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is situated in a beautiful location, the grounds are kept up beautifully. We would definitely go back there.
May 8, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Ecbatana Beautiful property, felt like a timeshare
The property itself is high quality; the grounds are immaculate; the setting right on the beach is remarkable - made even more spectacular by the humpback whales breaching just offshore and the island of Lanai on the horizon. Plus, sunsets on Maui are unlike anywhere else on earth.
While my overall impression did not meet expectations, I would be willing to give this property another chance - but it will absolutely not be my first choice when returning to Maui next time. I would have preferred it if the choice for "Would You Recommend this Hotel?" had a MAYBE option.
- Disinterest, lack of attention and lack of professionalism among the staff that is not typically characteristic of Westin
- This is an ownership property, and while it is possible for non-owners to stay here, there is notable pressure to join the Vacation Club.
- I found the poor behavior and attitude of the sales staff of the Vacation Club to be the most irritating part of the entire stay.
- Food and beverage was average quality; again, general malaise among the staff.
- The fitness center is poorly outfitted and too small for a property of this size.
October 27, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nardine Relaxing!
My sister and I travelled to Hawaii for a holiday, we had never had the pleasure of staying at such a well equipped resort. The shuttle service was particularly helpful! Would love to come again but next time bring the family from Australia!!
May 8, 2013