Rated 5 out of 5 by pguru This should be a 5 star!
For some strange reason, the sign outside this hotel says it is a 4 star hotel. Everything about this hotel was 5 star. (It does not have a pool though !) The level of service we received was excellent. The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. We did not get a SPG Platinum upgrade but Lone, at the Plat/Gold desk tried her best to get us into a better room. Someone from housekeeping brought the extra towels and blankets without being asked. (priceless!) The staff in the café during breakfast are very accommodating. We could not fault anything in this hotel. And I have not even started talking about it's excellent location.
July 26, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by JasonH So bad I don't think I can fit it all in this review...
I am not surprised to read the recent negative reviews about this hotel. I am staying at the hotel right now and it is so bad it is almost beyond belief.
I planned this trip to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, and booked the room almost a year ago and notified the staff about our special event. We have experienced so many problems, I will only list some of them here:
- When we arrived our room was not ready at check-in time. The lobby was a mess with people and no where to sit or wait. They gave us 2 free drink tickets for the bar, but we could not get in (more on that later). When we did get our room, we were exhausted and looking forward to unpacking and relaxing, and we walked in on another couple in our room! It turns out they had checked 2 couples into the same room.
- Finally got another room, but it was incredibly small, MUCH smaller than the one we were originally assigned. The ceiling was so low that my wife (who is 5'2") kept hitting her head on the ceiling. Unacceptable for this mistake, and then to be downgraded to a smaller room on our special occasion. The robes in this room had stains on them and looked like they had not been washed - we had to ask for them to be replaced.
- Dealing with the spg gold/platinum desk was difficult. At first they did not seem to care, and seemed try to prove my complaints as incorrect and acting like I was complaining to try to get something for free. I realize that the hotel was very full, but there were rooms available, so I very reasonably requested a good solution for all involved. I again said that this was a very special occasion for us and I am trying to make the best of it. I said that I see that there are larger rooms available (including jr. suites, suites, etc.) and that I would be happy to PAY to be put in one of those available rooms. I can not think of a more reasonable solution, as that would make us happy and I would pay for it so the hotel would benefit as well. Unbelievably, they said they would not allow it. I asked why, because the rooms are available on the hotel website. They said that the manager was "blocking all of those rooms right now and there was nothing that could be done about it". I asked if someone was staying in those rooms and they said "no" but that they had a very important conference going on and someone important might show up and want those rooms. I said that they were available right now for anyone to purchase, and they said that is because there is a 2 hour delay between the time they block the rooms and the website inventory gets updated, and that in 2 hours all of the rooms would be unavailable. I suspected they were not telling the truth, and the were not. 2 hours, 8 hours, and more than 24 hours later there were still larger rooms available (and there are still available 2 days later as I write this)
It really adds insult to injury, after the problems we had at the beginning and then the SPG desk not allowing me to spend my own money to buy a room that is publicly available for anyone in the world to rent is insulting and beyond unacceptable.
- They did move us the next day to an acceptable room (where my wife doesn't have to hit her head while walking around the bed), but not one of the ones that I asked to pay for. And of course the problems continue.
This is by no means a complete list of the problems we have had, but here are some:
- This is our third day here and we finally got to try the food at the hotel. We usually eat alot at the hotels were we stay, but here this is almost impossible. Yesterday we went to find some breakfast (or lunch, whatever was being served at the time), and we could find nothing. We asked at the front desk and they said that "usually" they serve breakfast in the courtyard but not today. This is a big theme here, were they say "usually we do this, but not for you or not today". Not offering any other suggestions (also another problem at this hotel), she said that we could try eating at the bar. At about 10am, the only place to eat was the bar, which seemed strange. When we walked to the bar, they turned us away saying "There is no place for you. Sorry" and walking away. Very strange and rude. No mention of "If you would like to wait for a table", or anything. This was also another big problem we have seen repeated many times here.
- Last night we woke up to a very loud noise coming from the bathroom. When we tried to get in to see what it was, we could not open the bathroom door. The entire front of the bathroom counter had fallen off and wedged it self against the door so the door would only open 3 inches. It took us a long time to figure out how to move it. We had to ask several times for someone to come and fix it.
- When the cleaning staff cleaned our room (after they asked twice to come in even though we had the do not disturb sign on), when we returned to the room they did not clean the bathroom and there was hair and dirty towels in the tub.
- One day when we returned to our room from eating to get ready for a tour, there was a sign on the door asking us to please wait because they were in our room servicing it. We waited and waited in the hallway, and finally we could wait no more without missing our tour, so we went in and the room was empty. They were not in there but left the sign on the door.
- We spent half of the first 3 days of our trip waiting for something to be fixed or corrected, instead of enjoying our time in Paris. When the moved us to our third room, I was assured many times that they would move everything including the items in our closet. Of course when we returned the items in our closet were missing, and we had to wait for them to be found.
- They sent up a bottle of wine as a sorry gift, but it was corked and they gave us no opener. I am not sure if it was because they didn't want us to drink it, or if it was another lack of attention to detail that that seems to happen all of the time here.
I have gone on long enough, and will close with this thought:
This is one of the worst, if not the worst, hotel we have ever stayed in. The things that are done here are for the convenience of the staff, and the guests are treated as in intrusion. After our first day at the hotel I was thinking that I made a huge mistake coming to Paris because of how we were being treated. Fortunately, Paris is a wonderful city and we have been treated very well everywhere we have gone EXCEPT for at our own hotel. This hotel reflects very poorly on Paris, Westin, and SPG. We are still here for a few more days, so who knows what exciting disappointments are still to come.
This morning my wife and I were in the lobby and we had to laugh when we overheard two gentleman talking, and one said to the other "I always stay at the Westin every time I come to Paris... But I don't know why because they are always bad". I think that sums it up perfectly.
PS - even though i cannot bring myself to give the hotel more than 1 star, I have to recognize that it is a big staff, and it would be unfair not to recognize 2 good people among the problems we have experienced. Amandine at the front desk for seeming to genuinely care about our problems on the first day (sadly I think that maybe she was not senior enough to take care of them on her own or maybe I would have been a better outcome), and Denis on the in-room dining staff for doing a very professional job, and for helping us open that bottle of wine.
September 11, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by afromplace very bad experience
I had a very bad experience during our check in. The receptionist was not helpful at all. Even after I let her know that I am a gold member - she never explained to me how I can use free in-room internet service and never tried to upgrade my room to an enhanced room. This was the worst experience and the westin paris just ruined my first trip to paris. Thank you very much.
August 8, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Sukisuki Excellent place to stay in Paris
Highly recommended hotel to stay in Paris. It's centrally located around major attractions.
July 21, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by ByronRansom Honeymoon in Paris
The location of the Westin Vendome was unbeatable and the staff was very friendly. I was dissappointed that I couldn't get a room facing the Rue de Rivoli however. It was my honeymoon and I had booked the rooms eight months in advanced and specifically asked for anything on the Rue, but the staff were unwilling to give me a room on that street for even one of my five nights there. I'm sure those views are some of the top selling features of the hotel, but even with my platinum status, advanced bookings and suite upgrade requests, I couldn't get a single night there.
July 7, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by TezzaH Paris Vendome
The hotel is quite beautiful. However, it did not help that there was was a week long conference by the Deutsche Bank and their people overran the hotel..
The "maitre de" at breakfast was very cheerful and friendly. Our room was very comfortable, clean and spacious. The Westin is centrally located and within easy walking distance to shopping and many sights including Place Vendome, Place de le Concorde and a pleasant walk to arc de Triumphe. I would certainly stay at the Westin Vendome on return to wonderful Paris. And we were not thrilled to be going there. What a beautiful city.
July 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Serenei Highly recommended
Staff was very friendly and welcoming at check in. Room was nicely decorated and rather spacious, I had a room with a view. Location is great and walking distance to everything, and there are 2 metro stations near by. Overall it was a lovely experience and I will definitely stay again and recommend it to my family and friends.
March 22, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by WishWeHadGoneElsewhere Ever Wait 8 Hours for Your Room...We Did!
Upon arrival at 1PM on our check-in day, after booking a Junior Suite, we were told "please come back in a few hours, they are still cleaning the room." "The room is very special so it will be worth the wait." We walked for hours in the Louvre and around town. Missed a booked lunch date and returned to the hotel at 6PM. Room still not ready. Gave us a free drink in the bar. Finally 7:30PM room is ready, last in corner on the floor, view at on odd "sun deck" and back roof of the beat up hotel facade. Demanded a room change. That took til 9:20PM. An entire 8 hour day wasted of our 6 in Paris. Think hard before making this choice!
June 22, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by FlyerGuy Excellent Location, Great All Around Property
Spent a wonderful week at the property in early February, a romantic get away with my wife. Staff was always helpful (although sometimes seemed indifferent, but never rude), was taken care of very well in terms of platinum recognition. Everyone I spoke to did their best to ensure we had a great stay.
As someone looking to take in the city, the location can not be beat. Even during the February cold, we were able to either walk, take a short cab, or easily get to the metro and visit just about anywhere. Don't take restaurant recommendations from concierge, just wander a few blocks east/north around Rue Saint-Honore and you will find plenty of great options.
February 17, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by csrose NEVER AGAIN
This hotel did not recognize our SPG gold status and treated us like second class citizens for booking the room with points. Upon making the reservation, we asked for a room with a view and were told such room was booked. Upon checking in we asked if the room had a view and we were told "no, people who pay with points do not get a room with a view." This was a direct quote from the hotel GM! Had we known this we would have opted to pay rather than wasting 45K points! She also went on to say that the phone rep in the states was wrong and she was right. Never have I witnessed or experienced such poor service. We have used our points plenty of times, including at the St. Regis, and have never been treated in this manner. Management really needs to train the employees at this hotel in addition to reminding them that they are in the hospitality business!
May 16, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Johhnyb Beautiful Hotel-perfect location
The hotel was amazing. The staff was very helpful and didn't mind that we did not speak much french. The staff was great from the checking, bellman, concierge, and restaurant staff. I can't say enough how beautiful the hotel was. It was in a great location. It was a quick walk to the Louvre. Also, it was a short cab ride or a 30 minute walk to Eiffel tower and other attractions. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!
January 30, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Brian2929 Recent Stay
Hello, my stay did not start very well. After my personal ambassador confirmed a hotel driver to pick my up at CDG airport upon my arrival, the hotel failed to send a driver to collect me. Fortunately, the transit workers strike did not prevent me from finding a taxi. The hotel made up for this mistake by bringing me a nice bottle of champaigne, some fruit and macaroons and they also arrange a free of charge hotel car for my departure. Nobody is perfect and it is how you respond to mistakes that make the difference. This is exactly why I only stay in Starwood properties and is why I will be staying at the Westin Vendome during my next trip to Paris.
June 21, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by DavidNYC Worst Concierge
The absolute worst concierge service I have ever received, both in preparation for our stay and while we were at the hotel. Do not bother - total waste of time. Also, room was not ready at checkin time, having flown on a redeye, was asked to sit in the lobby for over 2 hours until the room could be readied. As a nearly exclusive SPG guest, this was my worst hotel experience.
September 17, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Renata Good location-dreary rooms
We were in rooms 401-403 for a 6 night stay. We requested a room change because of the dreariness of the room and the view of a brick courtyard. When I asked for a room that looked like that on your web sight I was told there was only one of those, and they could move us on the 5th day of a six night stay. The standing lamp in the room never worked, and was never replaced. A repair man was sent 3 times --never fixed or replaced. It only made a dreary room more dreary. The bathroom was outdated and the tub dangerous to exit. The globs of dust that were in the overhead light that was missing its housing were removed upon my calling. The security man never came after a couple of calls to fix the non working safe. The location of the hotel was good, but any charm of the lobby was gone as soon as one entered their generic hotel room. We travel a lot and stay in upscale properties . It is hard to include this property in that category.
May 31, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by Kathy123 Noise, no internet, cramped room
They allowed a wedding band to play till 1:30AM the night before my presentation at a conference. Very bad karaoke and loud booming music kept me awake. No internet the first night due to electricity problems I was told. Closet to hang clothes was no more than 8 inches wide. Hotel people were more responsive than past years but can't make up for this.
September 18, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Cheryl64 Lovely Westin Property
Although a Gold member, didn't receive an upgrade but did receive nice food amenities twice during our 7-night stay.
Junior Suite that I reserved was lovely but in need of new draperies. They were falling off the rods and didn't block out light at all (had to tape drapes to wall each night). View was magnificent!
John, who worked the breakfast buffet each morning, provided outstanding service. Pierre Francois at the Concierge desk was also an exceptional employee. Overall, a good example of a fine Westin hotel.
July 7, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by JamieS average hotel
Rooms are a bit dated, a/c didn't work and check in process really slow. Really depends on price point whether worth it or not.
July 16, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by gordon12 needs work
I have stayed at this hotel before. It is a popular destination and many people arrive from flights early morning before rooms have been vacated. Many new guests are scattered throughout lobby. Feels like waiting in a train station. I think the hotel should dedicate an area to this group where they can relax, use computers, watch t.v. , have refreshments and remain updated electronically on status of their room. Rooms are not sound proof and closet like. Great location. Nice staff in restaurant and concierge. Would love to see an improved gym space. I believe these items require attention to improve the property.
December 2, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Tarekat72 totally not worth the money
i was shocked about the hotel room superior deluxe room have no proper closet and very tiny winy bathroom, the heater not working very depressing corridors and smelly ,i don't think should be categorise as five star hotel or Starwood collection
December 31, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by jll888 Nice Junior Suite with Great View From Balcony
As a SPG Platinum member, I was upgraded to a junior suite with balcony. The balcony has a very stunning view of Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum and Tuileries Garden. I was just speechless when I first step in the suite. Bravo Westin Paris. 5 stars for you.
September 14, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Barb12 Magnificent
My husband and I decided that Paris would be a great place to celebrate thirty years of marriage. We could not have picked a better hotel. Arriving early in the morning, we did not expect our room to be ready, and we were correct. Surprise, the Westin has a very nice room established for such situations. Clean towels and bathroom allowed us to spruce up and set off for a day of touring feeling refreshed.
Our junior suite was very nice, plenty of space with the extra sitting area and walk in closet. The hotel is in a great location for walking about town or getting on the subway. There are tons of shops and restaurants of all different levels in the immediate area.
Concierge help was excellent. The staff was friendly and quite knowledgeable of the area and even made some phone calls for us if they were unsure.
The gym was up to date and very clean. The machines were well maintained and a pleasant addition to the trip.
As a bonus, it was fashion week and the models walking around the hotel in designer clothes only added to the fun.
October 9, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Olivia19 Lovely Building
Our room and the dining room were too dark in decor. Our bedroom had a sloping wall which we both at times managed to hit our heads on.
Apart from that, it was in a good location and the staff were very helpful!
June 5, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by hoyaca If you have the option, go somewhere else
One of the worst Westin experiences ever! This Westin in Paris was one of the worst experiences ever. They did not care that I was a Platinum SPG member, did not respect the membership benefits that I'm entitled to, and were extremely unhelpful and on top asked for more money to provide me with what I am supposed to get. Don't know who was worse actually, the SPG in their inability to do anything to help, or the Westin Paris in their unwillingness to help. Once I blasted it all over the Internet the only thing they did was send me messages that they want to talk, and yet did not do anything to solve the situation. The worst was that this visit was due to a very special occasion.
December 13, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by SooMoo Old style hotel in outstanding location
Hotel is a few minutes walk from the Louvre, Opera Garnier and Concorde. Musee d'Orsay is a five minute walk straight thru the Tulieries and across the Seine.
On check in I was told our booked suite would not be available until 6 pm because they had a Platinum member with late checkout in our suite. Following a brief discussion, it was agreed that the Platinum member's status was with the hotel rather than with me, and the Front Desk manager sorted this out very quickly.
Great breakfast room with impeccable service even though very busy.
Bar not cheap but don't miss it.
Now has wifi in rooms, but very slow.
November 10, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Cliff1942 DID NOT MEET EXPECTATIONS
The Westin Vendome was a disappointment for us. We stayed six nights at this hotel from June 7-13, 2012. Our room was the dirtiest, poorly maintained and drab of any of our recent Westin stays. Paint was peeling from the walls and the carpet was in critical need of replacement. The room was very drab and dreary. Drab is also a word to describe the main dining room. The Bar was special, the staff, including room service,very good, and the people at the concierge desk exceptional. The Westin Vendome is in need of serious upgrading of rooms, showers and color scheme. I would not recommend the Westin Vendome.
June 18, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by AEF22 Less than expected
A lost room service breakfast order (with no apology or suggested remediation), a "cleaned" room with a half-filled coffee cup left in place made my experience less then expected.
November 19, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Z123456 Very bad experience of losing personal belongings
I just stayed in Westin with my parents on Dec. 10th, 2012. However, my parents lost their personal cleaning kit including tooth brush, scrubber and comb there.
As the platinum member, I reserved late check out for my room at 3 pm. However, I found both of my rooms are cleaned in the morning and my parents' cleaning kit was gone!!!!!!!! It took almost one hour for the hotel to get some part of it back but still missing one tooth brush, scrubber and comb.
It was a unbelievely terrible and ridiculous experience. Is that the real Westin in my mind?? Really poor managment. And afterwards, there is not any proposal for compensation for the loss. That totaly ruined my day in Paris!!!!!
December 11, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by AlCat Great location
Very nice hotel and nice rooms. Had a few issues with TV and wi-fi that needed repair during stay. Staff was quite responsive in working solutions. The location is very good for a number of attractions.
June 3, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Carolynmomof2fromNJ The Worst Stay Ever
Poorly run, dirty, nasty, unsanitary. Would never recommend or stay ever again
July 21, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by JBTC Problems with upgrade
We have travelled all over the world with stays at Starwood Hotels. As Gold members and the owners of three time shares we always receive an upgrade if available. Last year we stayed at the Westin Vendome and we were upgraded to an Eiffel Tower view. This year we were upgraded to a street view and when my husband went to checkout the bill had a 60 euro charge on it for an upgrade. This is supposed to be complimentary because of our gold status. The front desk said we owed it and my husband said he refused to pay it. They finally removed it from the bill, but we were not pleased that this happened.
March 21, 2012