Rated 5 out of 5 by GTra This hotel has excellent facilities and rooms. The suites are wonderful.
This now our favourite hotel in Victoria, even though it is not seaside.
October 7, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Bruce70 Not A Good Experience
I have stayed at many Starwood properties, and this one certainly was disappointing. I findi it difficult to call it a "resort". Here are the problems we encountered during our stay:
1. When we arrived, there was a power outage. While not the fault of the hotel, the lighting in the garage and stairwell was inadequate and created a dangerous condition. The pool was also closed because of the power outage, which did not make sense. The staff wsa completely disoriented.
2. I had called ahead of time to inquire as to the complimentary bike use, and I was assured that free bikes were included with the room. When my family of four attempted to go for a ride on the first morning, we received varying information about the number of bikes available, how to reserve them, whether they could be reserved, and whether there were two bikes for my 10 and 7 year-old children. When we arrived at the valet's station (they were responsible for the bikes), my wife's bike was broken. I was given a bike that pedaled about six yards and then stuck in gear. My wife and I were given two different bikes, and half-way through the ride, one of the spoke's came out of place on my wife's second bike, caught in the chain, and nearly caused her to crash. This occurred while on the paved path. The kids and I took the bikes back, while my wife walked her bike behind. The valet was quite embarassed and told us that they were still working out the kinks with the bikes, that they did not have a designated repair person, and that the off-site repair person would arrive the following day.
3. The room was adequate, although, it had an odd layout and was sparsely decorated. The view was of the garbage dumpster across the street in back of the restaurant next door. I expected more as a SPG Gold member.
4. The room had a kitchenette, but we only had one fork, an odd number of plates, and an odd number of glasses. We had to call several times and actually talk with management about getting additional cutlery and tableware before the problem was resolved. It was not until our third day that we had an adequate supply despite repeated requests.
5. The room was very dusty when we arrived. We actually wrote "dust me" with a finger on the TV stand, and it was two days before it had been dusted off. We took a picture of it because we were in such disbelief. Our deck had a large, filtered cigarette butt sitting on it when we arrived, which was not removed, despite multiple requests, until about the fourth day of our stay. Additioanlly, housekeeping was inconsistent, coming early in the morning on some days, and not until almost 5:00 on others, which caused problems after arriving back to the room from a day out.
6. The walls were thin. An occupant next to us who was there for only one night, thank goodness, was so loud just talking that they woke our entire room up around 6:00 a.m. Apparently, they had travel arrangements and needed to get out of the room early.
7. I wanted to put my kids in private golf lessons as advertised on the website. When we went down to speak to the gentleman at the pro shop, he told us he was going out of town, there would be only one pro for the next couple days, and could not assure us that there would be anyone to give the lessons. Rather than get our name, he told us to check back the next day. I did check back, there was no one to give the private lessons, and we ended up enrolling our kids in one group lesson. The level of customer service was poor. The lack of availablity of golf services for a golf resort was shocking.
8. The front desk seemed overwhelmed and was not very helpful with regard to suggestions for eating out for obtaining additional services.
9. Finally, the food was average at best. We had two meals, one was a BBQ buffet, and the other was a sit down dinner. We actually had better dinner in town for half the price.
After spending a wonderful five days in Scottsdale at the resort there, with impeccable service and top-notch facilities, this experience was seriously lacking. Other than the newness of the faciliity and the nice pool, spa, and gym, we would not recommend this property.
October 8, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by GCSI Great hotel but stay away from rooms with connecting doors
I stayed for 2 nights in this hotel. The location is fabulous and the facilities are excellent. They gave me a room on the 5th floor with a connecting door to another room. The first night was quite peaceful I actually overslept. On the 2nd day a group of rambunctious women checked in at around 3PM. The noise coming from the other room through the doors was so loud I might as well have been in their room. I have stayed in other hotels with connecting rooms but somehow noise from the other room gets filtered by the heavy connecting doors but not with this room.
I was only able to sleep after the women called it a night at 2AM!
Engineering should do something about the connecting rooms doors.
November 27, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Marti22 SOME AMENITIES MISSING
Overall, our stay was a great experience, however, we were disappointed that the pool was part of the overall resort and not just the hotel. We had to share with many families, it was noisy and messy. Also, there was no gift shop, no where to buy a magazine or snacks (other than the golf hut). With respect to the golf, there was a lot of construction through the mountain course, it was noisy and one hole completely removed (there was a substitute hole which was previously meant as a fun hole) - and yet we had to pay full rate.
July 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by kokomo4 Great hotel and golf
Enjoyed my stay, fabulous room (huge!). Food was excellant as was service- would return anytime.
September 29, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Estella29 Huge and Comfy room
We stayed here for 3 nites while in Victoria. We had a traditional room in the main building and was just directly above the clubhouse restaurant. The room is huge for a hotel room standard and we like the hugh balcony where we can sit and relax after our day's golf or outing. This place might be a bit far for those who are not golfing here and unless you wish to eat at the estate here, you will have to travelled out at least 20 mins to have your meals. But for golfers like us, this place is just perfect to be based for our golf and outings to Butchart gardens, etc. This accommodation would be perfect for us except that they don't have a insuite washer/dryer for our laundry needs. All in all, a very pleasant stay. Thank you.
September 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JiminSeattle Absolutely Fabulous Hotel
Spent 3 nights over the Memorial Day weekend at the Westin Bear Mountain. What a superb facility in a spectacular location. The rooms are like small apartments (at least ours was) and the staff over-the-top accommodating. The bar is wonderful and the restaurant a good value for a resort. Though it is outside of Victoria, it is perfect for visiting downtown as well as the Butchart Gardens. Not a single complaint!!!
May 29, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by cnwo4life What an island treasure
I had a three night stay at the Bear Mountain Resort, and myself and my family had a wonderful time. We had a great room, an out of this world gym, and world class service.
We were lucky enough to have Angela as our server for breakfast, and I cannot think of a more cheerful person with a can do attitude. Thnak you Westin Bear Mountain and thank you Angela.
June 23, 2012