Rated 5 out of 5 by Lori08 Great Hotel
The hotel exceeded our expectations. We had a great room, great view, comfortable bed and room service was excellent. We will definitely be back to stay at The Westin on Broadway.
August 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GimT Presidential suite getaway stay
I have stayed at this Westin several times over past years. This is the first time I booked the Suite for the family. The experience has been amazing. A great moment to spend with family, especially you have teenage kids.
You have great shopping places within walking distances. But at night, it can be of concerns around that area, security wise.
The SPG social hour is less than what I expect to be, after I have done the same in other Westin hotels. Food and alcoholic beverages were less than what I would expect from Westin - Too little varieties but it was different, I guess.
August 1, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Nikki72 Loved it!!!
I was a little iffy on staying here after reading some of the reviews but it was fantastic!!!! The staff was very helpful and attentive. The room was quiet, nice shower, friendly staff, clean amenities. I did take note of the valet fee and paid attention to the near by parking garage. It was not a big deal to park my car literally across the street from the valet plus it's half the fee. Another FYI, if you're planning on going to Sea World for a day, buy online. You can get a 20.00 discount for a day pass (64.00) vs 80 something the concierge quoted me. It's close to the Westfield mall, a few blocks from Gaslamp district, 15 minutes from Sea World or Coronado. I'd definitely stay here again!
August 11, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Jalene Great value
I've been planning meetings for many years and coming to this particular hotel for 7 or 8 years. The primary reason is the staff is amazing and makes the job of meeting planning easier. In particular, Paul, is a superstar! But he has many on the team that are wonderful to back him up - Baron with Food & Beverage, and Lex with room reservations. All are very responsive and good at what they do.
While I love the staff and hotel there are two downsides - very basic pool area and the restaurant is very expensive for the quality of food and service. Hard to believe since the meals and service are both great for on site meetings. There are many wonderful restaurants closeby so I highly recommend you take advantage of the concierge and enjoy something in Little Italy or Gaslamp.
August 13, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by BG14 Great stay
Outstanding service from all employees from check-in to airport shuttle made this an excellent stay. Room was typical Westin standard which is excellent. Pool was smallish but to be expected for downtown hotel. Really good location. Nice views. Only issue with hotel is average dining room - go out if you are looking for a good meal as they are not really set up for this. That said, our waitress, Ann, was terrific.
Overall an excellent stay.
August 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by polly24 50th Birthday was wonderful!
I would like to sincerely thank the entire staff at the Westin (especially Kevin) for making my 50th birth day breakfast so unforgettable.You made me feel very welcome even though I was 2000 miles from home. Job well done!
Sincerely Polly Erickson 7-24-14.
July 30, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Lloyd007 A Great Place to Stay
This hotel was fantastic. Went beyond my expectations and the staff were always helpful and very friendly. The bed was the best hotel bed I have ever slept on. This hotel was also within easy walking distance of the convention center and the Gaslamp District.
July 18, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Mokb75 Room by the Bay
For my husband's day of birth, I took him to San Diego and we stayed at the Westin for part of the trip. Let me tell you, it was the icing on the cake. We loved our room and the great view of the Bay. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We are not hotel snobs but after this five-star like treatment, we can't help but to become snobbish about where we stay from now on. So BIG SHOUT OUTS to Molly, Kevin, Donald, Sean "the bartender", and Rebecca.
So, here are some tips:
1. The hotel is located on Columbia Street which is a one way. As you approach the hotel go up State Street, take the first left and then make another left to Columbia. It will take you to the entrance of the building where valet will take care of you.
2. Parking is $40 a day and it's in and out. Call valet before you head down when you want to leave. It's just faster. Parking charges begin at 2 PM each day so move your car before the clock strikes two if you don't wish to park there. We valet parked the first day while we get our bearings of the place and then parked at the Public Parking lot across the street for $20. It's not in and out but it's overnight.
3. The Westin is a Starwood affiliated hotel. It makes some difference if you are an SPG member. We stayed on the 19th floor which is also the SPG members floor. There's a reception for members in the hotel lobby everyday from 4:45-6:00 PM bring your hotel packet with you to check in. The serving is not spectacular but you just feel "oh, so special." And if you skip maid service which is called "the green choice" you get 1000 membership points. Checkout the SPG channel #2 for more info on membership.
4. DO NOT ORDER ROOM SERVICE unless you are desperate. It's expensive as heck. We paid $79 for two dinner plates that came to $48 due to a bunch of fees. We were starving and too lazy to leave the room. But the food was good!
5. PET PARENTS-this is a great place to bring your four-legged babies and they don't charge you for them to stay. They even give you bowls for them during your stay. There's a fantastic dog park right across the street. When you exit the hotel on Bdwy, take a right on State Street and cut through the condos. It was the nicest dog-friendly park we've ever been to. Our babies enjoyed making new friends there.
6. The following places are within 10-15 minute drive if not less: Coronado Beach (go for the golden sand), La Jolla, and San Diego Zoo. Within walking distance are Little Italy and Gaslamp Quarter.
7. Because it's Downtown, you get some real interesting characters but they are by no means invasive. They just do their own thing.
July 9, 2014