Rated 4 out of 5 by AM421984 Great little vacation!
We just came back from the Westin and had a great time there.
Starting with the not-so-great/average, I think the resort should improve on several items:
- pool hours, from 8am to 6pm. I can guess a few reasons for this, but at least the adult-only pool should have extended hours. I would have enjoyed watching the sunset (at 6pm) on the beach and be able finish the afternoon with a drink at the pool...
- the beach center (third-party run but on Westin property), where the bikes are destroyed and helmets broken – this is rather annoying (broken pedal, chain going away) and unsafe; also, you can get these bikes or kayaks only when it's way too hot to enjoy it (830am to 4pm). Extended hours would be very nice.
- the activity center, where you are promised new ping pong rackets "tomorrow" the whole week... playing with wood sticks isn't great at all;
- the wildlife control sound around the main pool (Caracola/Spirula) – I guess I’m one of the few sensitive people to that sound, and had a hard time at lunch time. Lowering the volume (or stopping these) during lunch hours would be appreciable (and I’m sure the staff would enjoy as well)
- last, the photo center. While the photograph team is really great (we dealt with Mariana and Gabriel), the pricing is quite high to say the least… (To be fair, this isn’t part of the Westin, but is a service on the property)
Now, going to the good stuff, we really appreciated the facility for the following:
- the location – what a nice property; while said to be pretty full we didn’t feel like it was crowded (like you would in Mexico or Jamaica…). Best, take a stroll along the beach to get away from everybody have all the space you want! (note though that there isn’t much shade and the beach staff won’t let you get an umbrella – but some trees will let you have some shadow)
Fun nature around as well – few monkeys, lots of coatis, raccoons and iguanas. (btw, very nice golf cart tour at 3pm from the lobby! Bird/monkey seeing)
- the room, awesome! We got a suite in one of the towers, very spacious, silent and comfy… really great! (it’s a Westin after all!)
- good to great food! Great lunch options at the pool area (Caracola) as well as the Pizzeria place – the reviews about the pizzas are true! For dinner, I was disappointed by Cauri (and its fake ‘french’ recipes – “chevre chaud” means “hot goat cheese”; and accras are a very different thing…) – but quite impressed with the others, most notably Candelas and Faisanella.
Also, while deserts could be improved at all places, the Nutella candy is a cool trick we enjoyed! As for the bar, drinks (with a bit of direction) are really nice, including some fresh fruit juice options.
- finally, I wanted to recognize some awesome staff members who made our stay so much more enjoyable, with top of the list Mario and Errol – thanks a lot to both of you!
Thanks as well to Cyntia, Israel, Roger, Andre, Raul and Jose – very nice to chat and be cared for with genuine people!
April 27, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Phipp Very pretty hotel and friendly staff
Just came back from a 5 day visit with my family. The resort offers many choices for activities and the pool is really nice. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful but we had an issue with dining reservations like so many others. There is a nice selection of restaurants and food/drinks are good but there is an issue making dinner reservations. Upon arrival, we were advised to make dinner reservations for the days we will be staying, but that was impossible because the restaurants were full and not taking additional reservations. We discussed this with several staff members and after multiple frustrating conversations they were able to obtain reservations for all nights except for our first but the restaurants and times were not our choice. We accepted these reservations because we were just happy to have them, we did not want to have a buffet for dinner. This is a big issue and Westin needs to seriously address this problem. Our Junior Suite was nice but not well thought out for travelers. There is not enough adequate storage shelves in the closet to accommodate 3 people. and although there are night stands and two desks in the room, none are with drawers to allow you to store personal items or accommodate for the lack of closet shelves. There needs to be more hooks in the bathroom area and better placement of towel racks. This may sound picky but when you are traveling and you have a large room, you want to have your personal items accessible and not all shoved into a small number of shelves or left in luggage because of lack of storage. The room is large but just not well planned out for travelers. Spa service and their help was very nice.
April 14, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by GanBal Awesome Stay
One of the best stays we have had. Courteous staff, well-maintained resort, great pool, terrific restaurants and a beautiful golf course - all make for a great all-inclusive vacation.
April 13, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Singhfamily Luxurious Relaxation
Just ended a 7 day stay at this wonderful resort with my kids. We had a great time. weather was wonderful but it was the caring staff and great resort amenities that made the trip. Room service was amazing and anything we needed was kindly provided ...without any expectation of tips. A great selection of restaurants (Cauri was our favorite) made each night different. The location is secluded so the excursions require long bus rides but are well organized and safe. Our only disappointment was the recommended transport company Rizo- although we spent $500 to go from San Jose to the westin and back...we got delays, lack of air conditioning and poorly kept interior. As a platinum guest I felt I got the extra attention we look for. Would love to come back soon!
April 11, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Steve10abc Great property!
Just returned from a week at Playa Conchal and had a great time. The property is beautiful and the staff outstanding!
We did several excursions while we were there which gave us a sense of the surroundings off the property. Fishing was fun and the zip line and water slide combo was a blast. We also rented jet skis and ATVs on the beach in front of the hotel.
The service at the hotel was outstanding. Giovanny at the Abalone bar was a pleasure and Israel our waiter at the Italian restaurant were both top notch!
The only glaring shortfall of the hotel is the dinner reservation process which many other reviewers have commented on. It is a bit frustrating and confusing and seems like something a Starwood propriety should be able to address much better.
Overall a great experience in a fabulous setting. Highly recommend!
April 11, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Pollochek great getaway weekend for sun, water and sightseeing
My husband and I went to the Westin in Costa Rica for a week with another couple. Great food with different restaurants and bars….oceanfront with two pools..we stayed in the Royal Tower and had a private pool and dining area for breakfast. The other couple had a bigger suite they loved on the property and we joined them in the main pool area..gorgeous landscaping and swim up bar..restaurants and buffet…fun excursions to temperate rain forests nearby or the big volcano with wet rain forest four hours away..friendly staff..corporate guests but they got great night entertainment we could also enjoy in the public outside areas...
March 12, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by Tropical4Ever Good resort for a first visit to Costa Rica
Went for Christmas with my husband and another couple. We spent all of our time at the adult pool, our room was visible, so nice and close. We all thought the food was really good, did lunch at the pool side restaurant as we liked to sit at the outdoor patio. Good wine selection, attentive service by all staff that we encountered. Thoroughly enjoyed the golf cart tour around the resort.
March 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Bezers66 wonderful vacation
this hotel met our expectations with a few small glitches
February 19, 2015