Rated 5 out of 5 by JCLyo A Great Escape
Since my daughter is attending her last year of high school, a simple mother-daughter trip was a great way to spend our weekend. At our arrival, Vina and Leigh took care of us selecting a room w/a beautiful view. Tyler blew us away with his willing and caring attitude when assisting us. The hotel and beach was amazing! We must come back.
August 23, 2016
Rated 4 out of 5 by Careyrae5 A Staycation, Vacation
We absolutely loved our stay at The Westin Jekyll Island. We are from Glynn County and stay on Jekyll a few times a year. This was out first stay at The Westin and they officially have our business. The staff was great; John the bellman always remembered my name every time I saw him, Jasmine at the front desk was sweet as well as Angel in housekeeping. All and all we thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend!
August 15, 2016
Rated 2 out of 5 by Lelia16 Staff comments questionable
I was working in the area and decided to extend my stay to check out your new property one night. My first impressions were "The property is beautiful and I would consider a vacation or a leadership business conference at your stay". I was taken back when the representative who checked me in at the deck, later in the elevator when I shared him the property was beautiful, he responded " yes, we are trying to keep it that way". I was silenced by his comments. First thinking maybe I was too sensitive. So I slept on it and woke up with the same thought. His comments were inappropriate . I'm African American . Was he concerned that people who look like me would somehow do things to bring the property value down? Not sure, can't read his mind. But either way he should be thoughtful before he opens his mouth. Yes, this area is the Deep South but employees may need to be provide training to ensure that treat hotel guest the same regardless of the differences in culture and race.
August 14, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by CP555 Nice Beach Hotel, But Staff needs work and should drop the resort fee
We stayed for a week with our kids and our experience was generally good, we would return, but there were some lowlights.
Hotel is nice and rooms were nice (we had two oceanfront) and they were a good size, though a very long walk from the elevator bank (could have used two banks or a more central bank).
Beach is generally good. It is not crystal clear Caribbean so this is not the place for you if that is what you want. But is nice solid sand and small waves, which was great for little kids. It is a bit silty at low tide, but nice otherwise.
Pool was fine, though it is fairly small for the size of the hotel and did get crowded (mostly because it so small).
Location: Jekyll Island was great for us because we just wanted to spend time at the beach, the pool and poking around with our kids (this is a nearby waterpark that was small but lots of fun). The island is not densely developed so you don't have tons of activities or dining choices, but for us there was just enough and it was all very accessible.
We had two issues:
First, we had difficulty getting our rooms serviced by housekeeping even after several calls. We selected the Green Choice for one room, but not both and they kept putting us down for both and did not service our rooms for several days and it took several calls to get this resolved.
Second, they need to eliminate the resort fee here. I am happy to pay a resort fee when I feel like I get something in return. In this case I did not and I feel they were just gouging me. We paid $30 per day and had to pay extra for an umbrella and chairs on the beach each day. So basically we paid $30 a day extra to use a small pool and get a towel ! That is completely inappropriate and definitely detracts from the overall experience. Like I said, I would be happy to pay the fee if we got something in return like substantial pool or beach amenities, etc. But that is just not the case here. This is not a resort, it is a beach hotel with a small pool.
August 13, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by athornton65 Excellent Stay!
I won a free night at this Westin after attending a Bridal Expo on Jekyll Island back in February. The free night also included a free hour couples massage and free breakfast. This was perfect because I had already chosen this hotel as my host hotel for my wedding in October and I hadn't had a chance to stay there yet. I decided to stay this past Saturday night and brought my mother with me. Check-In to Check-Out, everything was on point. For it to be a free night, I was expecting a low rate room, something with no view but we were surprised by the ocean view room we received. It was so beautiful! Because we were getting a free room, they in no way lowered their customer service, in fact it was the best I have ever seen in a hotel. I was very pleased with everything. They let us check in over 2 hours early, the bed was super comfy, shower was AMAZING, and they had a yummy brunch buffet in the morning. Oh did I mention a 3pm checkout on Sundays?Thank you so much for a perfect stay and I can't wait to come back and stay during my wedding in October!
August 8, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by ZPainter Best Westin we've visited.
Great staff, food, drinks, service, views, pool, etc. Couldn't ask for a better beach hotel experience. We will be back (and next time we'll bring the kids!).
August 7, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by Wheeler2013 FANTASTIC STAFF
Jasmine at the front desk is awesome! She gave us everything we needed to know and help direct us around the island.
Richard in the restaurant was also wonderful.
These 2 employees made the stay for us.
August 5, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by Redd2016 Anniversary ending in the doghouse
Very disappointing experience. I won't be back.
- In discussion with the reservations agent, thought I had reserved an oceanfront room with balcony. Apparently my definition of an oceanfront room differs from Westin management. Although we could view the ocean, it was through the room next door's balcony. For those of us with a balcony facing the each other across the courtyard, there was no privacy at all on your balcony. Not what I would expect from a upgrade to oceanfront room. Not to mention I made my intentions perfectly clear during the reservation discussion.
- Also noted during the reservation process was the fact that the wife and I were celebrating an anniversary during the stay. Although not required, the agent informed me the hotel would "do a little something" for us (bottle of champagne, flowers, etc. left to the hotels discretion). Regardless, there was no mention at check in nor was there any token of their gesture throughout the visit.
- Although the beachfront is very nice and expansive, the water was disgusting. I can't say if the water is that thick with the muddy film we experienced all the time but some serious consideration should be given to restricting any swimming activity. I'm a fairly frequent beachgoer but this was far and above the most horrible conditions I've ever seen. I noticed the posted water quality signs stating the water bacteria level was safe but any parent would be concerned at the water conditions I experienced.
- For those of you considering a visit, plan on forking out an additional charge (not cheap) for the lounge chairs and umbrella that they will getting around to having available around 10 or 1030.
- The room was above average in most aspects but the room temperature at night was unsatisfactory. Despite adjusting the thermostat to a lower setting, the temperature never got within 2 degrees of the setting and regularly turned on and off throughout the night as if the system had achieved it's setting.
- Pool was nice. Of course with the water across the dunes being what it is, the pool was a popular alternative. Did I mention I was thankful it was just the wife and I and not the kids or grandkids? That would have been a disaster.
- The food and drink option near the pool was great. Poolside service was a bit off...I found it easier to go to the bar to get my drinks rather than weight on the attendant. Maybe...on busy days...consideration of adding another attendant may be helpful?
- A towel attendant? Really? What next, an extra charge to use the towels?
- I guess I could have made a stink about one of all of these issues I had. Just wish I didn't have to. I wanted the wife and I to relax and enjoy a beachfront experience for a few days. Remarkably not once during our stay nor even at the in-person check-out process did an employee ask how my stay was or if there were any problems.
- Have the front desk follow up an hour or so after check-in to ensure complete satisfaction or provide an opportunity to address any issues.
- Gotta do something about the water conditions. I realize it's the ocean and nature takes it's course but perhaps some dredging or other environmentally friendly option exists to clean the water up.
- At check-out, ask if all expectations were met. It's often too little too late but at least give the guest an opportunity to share any concerns prior to leaving the property. Maybe the chain could avoid these lengthly reviews if they had taken the initiative to not rest on their laurels or the Westin name and go earn their customer's satisfaction.
Sorry Westin. Always had a ton of respect for you but I'll seek out other options rather than risk having a duplicate experience like this.
July 17, 2016