Rated 5 out of 5 by Alex21666 Great remodel and great for a business meeting
I chose this hotel for a small company meeting; we were bringing in guests of the company, so I wanted to make an excellent impression on my guests. Even though this was an incredibly busy weekend for NYC (aren't they all?) with the NYC Marathon, the hotel did not feel rushed, and our relatively small group did not feel lost in the shuffle. Jennifer Delgado, Director of Meeting Planning, made sure everything went well for our meeting. Pei at the front desk handled check-ins with grace and friendliness that is seldom seen, even in a Westin. I only wish I could remember the name of the gentleman in sales who did the original estimate, following up on my internet-based request for meeting proposal. I contacted several Starwood properties, and this staff handled my pre-panning like pros, even though I am not one. The rooms, facilities, and even the dreaded hotel "meeting food" were all outstanding. High on my list of recommendations for personal, business, or meeting use!
December 7, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Tony118 Worst Staff of any Starwood Hotel
I spend a lot of time staying at Starwood hotels and for the most part, I'm usually pretty happy. Never - and I mean never - have I encountered worse staff or felt so unwelcome in a Starwood hotel before.
1. Upon arrival, and with considerable luggage, three porters were standing outside the hotel doing nothing. Not one offered any assistance whatsoever and were quite happy for me to struggle on my own after travelling for more than 20 hours
2. The check-in process took a very long time and it seemed the front desk was very understaffed with only two agents manning the desk
3. On the first morning, I noticed my credit card had been double billed for my stay, so I approached the front desk to query the matter. As I asked for clarification, the agent treated me with absolute contempt, trying to intimate I was stupid, while saying "why don't you listen?". It was only after I asked for the Duty Manager's intervention that the issue was resolved and I was shown to be right, but an agent trying to demean a guest in such a way can never be excusable
4. The attendant at the continental breakfast counter on the first few mornings of my visit was offensively rude. On trying to place my order, on two occasions, the attendant rudely interjected and shouted "so is it coffee or tea?" and then slammed the items down on the counter when they were ready, pointing at the bill to which he shouted "sign"
5. On two mornings I was unable to have breakfast as the service simply took too long. On one morning, it took more than 10 minutes for my order to be taken, and on the other, no one had come to take my order so I had to leave. While I found your a-la-carte breakfast staff pleasant, you appear to have too few of them during busy periods in the morning. On the days I did have time for breakfast, the whole service could take up to an hour which is very unsuitable in a busy city like New York City
6. Bath towels on some days were nothing short of threadbare
7. The worst thing - I wrote directly to Edward Maynard- the General Manager of this hotel about my experience. I never received an acknowledgement or any response to my complaints. Clearly the poor service comes right from the top.
Starwood has much, much better hotels in New York City. There's no reason to stay here.
November 4, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Gingercat28 Loved this place
I was happily surprised to secure a last-minute reservation on a holiday weekend. I got an amazing rate and was accommodated at every turn with an early check-in and late check-out. The room had a beautiful view and was super clean. This will be the first choice for a hotel when I'm in New York.
December 3, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by TMPR Amazing NY stay
A quick weekend getaway to New York and the Westin made it more than enjoyable
December 4, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Grumpy67 Fantastic Experience
My stay at the Westin Grand Central was great in every respect. The hotel gave me a complementary room upgrade, which was a terrific surprise at check-in. The staff was great during my stay and the bar/restaurant was very convenient.
I'd recommend this hotel to any NYC traveler. It was easy to get to, and it's location made getting around NYC very easy.
November 29, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by ADay Jaded NYers prepare to be welcomed
I have stayed in many hotels during the Christmas season in New York. The service and staff at this hotel is exemplary. They make your trip to the city that much more enjoyable! Bravo Westin Grand Central for creating the ultimate midtown oasis!
December 10, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Oatmealman Platinum breakfast
I find it very annoying that you can not use free breakfast amenity at take out section. The credit of $16.25 does not cover a simple breakfast of oatmeal, juice and milk plus tax and tip in the seated section. .
December 9, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by PEMC Hotel still needs improvement
We stayed there for the weekend of October 5th, with renovations still in process. The room was nice, and spacious. The linens and pillows excellent. The amenities were not refreshed until we called housekeeping, which promptly delivered what we needed. Elevators were modern and fast. The reception staff cordial, though somewhat slow. The staff in the dining room was not interested in having a happy customer. Coffee was cold, waiter not friendly. On Sunday there was a line of more than 10 people to get in for breakfast! There is no lobby area (as of yet) where one can sit and enjoy a drink, wait for a guest, or just watch people.
October 13, 2012