Rated 5 out of 5 by adamDW Amazing Property!
The W Vieques was everything that I could have possibly hoped for. From the moment we arrived at the hotel and were treated to a cocktail and canapes at the W Lounge at the little airport, to the smiling staff at the Welcome Desk, almost all of our needs were met. The only two issues that I would have is that the resort fee is a bit steep and the towels at the pool were not replenished nearly enough. That aside, the property is gorgeous, my masseuse gave me one of the best massages I've ever had, and the cocktails at Wet were divine. Highly recommend you check out this stunning property on this beautiful sleepy little island!
November 24, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5 by Rcg1962 Nice - Liked, Didn't Love
We stayed two nights on points/cash with relatives last week. We had ocean view, relatives had garden rooms. We had no problems, our relatives televisions didn't work. We didn't find out till after we left so the hotel didn't have an opportunity to address it. I thought the hotel was nice, the staff helpful. I've come to the realization that I've been fortunate to stay in some truly fabulous places and although this was nice, I know dollar for dollar you can get a better deal elsewhere. I wouldn't say not to stay there and I don't regret our stay. I just have no desire to go back.
February 17, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Ward2011 If I said it was average it would be generous.
Vieques is a beautiful island and the W property is awesome, but many of my positive remarks would end there as the customer service we received made it the worst stay I have ever had at a Starwood property. If you are planning to go there, still go because the island is awesome and should not be missed. However, be prepared to be met with horrible service...rooms were never cleaned, none of the staff ever smiled, the rates were so high, the staff ignored you a lot of the times when you had simple request; in all, it would have been better if it had not been staffed at all and we just had access to laundry and cleaning supplies to do things ourselves. Many of the guest that I befriended while there shared the same thoughts and I think many of them will be found by reviewing Trip Advisor's reviews for the property... I think you can have a positive experience if you know going in to not have high expectations on service and if you stay on site to sleep only...The bed is great for sleeping; I just wish it would have been made or freshened up during my time there.
November 25, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Debbie102 Beautiful, beautiful place for a peaceful vacation!
THe grounds are beautiful, the decor is modern and clean, and the views are amazing! The horses that roam that property make you feel like you are someplace far away from civilization, yet all the amenities are at your doorstep. The staff was very courteous. The food at Mix was very good, but it's not the only option on the island. We rented a car right on property and got to visit gorgeous white sand beaches around the island. The concierge arranged the Biobay kayak tour for us and we paid less than the other non-W guests who were in our tour group. The room was great, but the lighting could be improved. Also the suite did not have a full length mirror, even though the regular room does! Overall, it was a great stay and I'd definitely go back again!
December 7, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jman Great resort! However.......
Overall the hotel is perfect with a very high service standard found not found anywhere else in the Caribbean. However, be prepared to serve yourself at the pool. The pool service staff (when you can find one) is in attentive and basically unfriendly. They lost a tremendous amount of revenue from me and the other guests. By FAR the weakest link in the chain...... What a disappointment!
October 30, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5 by Amil79 Beautiful Hotel on the Beach
Overall this hotel is beautiful and staff is excellent and courteous. The breakfast offered at the W vieques is fairly diverse from the buffet vs. a la carte menu. Where I believe the W in Vieques needs to improve is their dinner menu. The dinner menu has few options, does not change day to day, few specials, and meals are fairly expensive for only mediocore food. Drinks at the W were great and varied. The beaches and pools at the W were great. I also would suggest that the W needs to offer more "free" amenities in terms of food. When I was there, they offered water by check in desk and by entrances to the beaches; coffee in the morning; and a cocktail at around 6pm. There was no fruit offered for "free" and prices at the restaurant, W cafe, and bar for food are steep.
February 17, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Emma27 AMAZING!
Our stay at the W Vieques was amazing! The grounds were stunning, our room was beautiful and the staff were so warm and welcoming.
We went horseback riding and took a Jeep around the island, both activities were awesome and highly recommended! The staff at the hotel helped arrange our excursions and everything went to smoothly and easily.
The food at the hotel was great for breakfast and okay for lunch and dinner. The food in Vieques was amazing and the hotel helped us find great restaurants and get to and from town very easily.
My only complain would be about the Yoga class. I practice yoga regularly and take great pride in this. I was looking forward to a relaxing yoga class outside on our trip. The class was not very relaxing and I felt that the teacher pushed us very hard and was less than understanding if I wanted to modify poses in the ways that I am used to. She preached about being more open to different kinds of yoga and was dismissive of the way I practice regularly. She had a lot of opinions about sun salutations and practicing the same poses on a regular basis and seemed to think this was not the way to practice yoga.
She asked what kind of yoga we do at home and I was unsure of the name at the time. I asked my Yoga teacher today. We practice hatha/ashtanga yoga. On vacation, I wanted a yoga class that pushed me to relax, breath and feel centered not a class where the teacher pushed for us to feel sore and felt it necessary to push us out of our comfort zone.
I hope in the future there will be other yoga classes offered where we can do sun salutations in the beautiful Vieques sun and can rest in child's pose when we need to.
This being said, we absolutely plan to come back to the W as soon as we can as it was one of the best vacations we have ever taken. Thanks so much for a great stay!
February 23, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Grissi It's a real Retreat
Great hotel with Great Staff. Everybody was kind and attentive. Excellent retreat and beautiful island.
February 3, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Marilyn51 Vieques Jewel
The W in Vieques Puerto Rico is amazing! From the kicky, modern decor to the pristine and gorgeous beaches, this hotel has everything for a couples' getaway. We enjoyed the yoga classes and work out facilities. Snorkeling and diving in the area was outstanding, and the hotel allowed us to take the snorkeling gear and towels off property when we visited the many wonderful spots on the Island.
February 18, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by JackinATL Average experience.
As a road warrior for the past 15 years, I have extensively stayed at other properties. This was my first W experience.
Let me start with the positives..
1. Location, Location & Location.
2. Breath taking views all round.
3. Interior Decoration was 5 stars
4. Room was clean and great views
5. All the pools were awesome
6. An intern from Mexico and the front desk staff are awesome.
Now for the negatives..
1. Staff were curt and rude at Dinner
2. No Smiles...it was as if we were "stealing" free food
3. Bar closed at 12 sharp..There were 2 wedding parties and lots of people were left unhappy. Talk about losing great margins when you close early on a weekend!
4. Had icecream near the bar and was waiting for a spoon that never arrived. The blonde girl at the bar who was our waitress came back and took the check and said sorry... The icecream had melted and was liquid....still no spoon after 45 minutes!
5. It was so sad to see majority of the guests seek out other restaurants on the island due to a limited menu.
6. Spoke to approx 10 other guests who mentioned they were surprised at the below average hospitality from the staff.
7. Cleaning crew is loud and which woke us up in the morning.
8. The bar staff forgot atleast 20 to 30% of our requests and it seemed like the first word out of their mouth was "sorry"
9. Requested additional soap, shampoo and conditioner as ours ran out...and we did get it after a day!
November 1, 2011
Rated 2 out of 5 by DanTravels72 Very dissapointing
We stayed there in November and had the worst service possible.
1) We arrived at the port and called for a shuttle to pick us up. We waited over an hour (in the rain) and there attitude was it wasnt there fault, tey were just too busy.
2) We were told that there was no upgrades available for Platinum guests. when to hear the couple checking in next to us were a AMEX card holder and was told that they had an upgrade ready for them. Why lie to the guest when only to hear the other agent say there were upgrades?? They put us in a room right next to the bar on the bottom floor! Very noisy and no privacy. We asked to change rooms and wala!!! they had an upgrade!
3) the Adult only beach was nice and quiet. But NO SERVICE at all!!! We had to call and ask for towels which took over an hour!!! We finally saw a waiter that had delivered drinks to a guest who had to call for service. He left without asking any guests if they needed anything!!! One of the guests chased him down (to the top of the steps) to ask for service!!!! The steps down to the beach were destroyed and you had to jump 4-5 feet to get over a large concrete/sand hole!! very dangerous!
4) No cleaning service even after we called at 4p!!! They finally showed up at 530p with an attitude. they same thing happend the second night and we just put our trash outside and asked for extra towels so we didnt have to deal with them!! It was very interesting to see that our final day there the cleaning service was breathing down our necks at 11a!!!! What service!!!!
5) we called the concierge desk to ask about ferry times and they said 2p. We got our shuttle ride down there at around noon only to find out that the ferry was canceled until 6p!!! We had to lug our luggage across town to find a bar or restaraunt to kill 6 hours!!!!! Do you think they might want to make a simple phone call to verify if the unpredictable ferry service was leaving at 2p????????????????
Overall service was horrible!!!! But the island itself was beautiful.
December 23, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Islandogg63 A great location/island
This was our second visit to the W in Vieques, we traveled last year about the same time, we had a wonderful time last year and decided to make another visit, this time with another couple. The staff was very frendly from the reception desk to the pool bartenders. The service has greatly improved from last year and it was nice to see some familiar faces from our last visit. It was a very enjoyable stay and we look forward to visiting the W in Vieques in the near future. Keep up the good work!
December 6, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Oldie73 This was a fabulous stay
Our stay exceeded all of our expectations by a wide, wide margin. The entire staff was so helpful and met all of our needs.
February 17, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by RJS78 Excellent resort but as couple bad experiences
This was an excellent resort. Property was fantastic. Pools were awesome. Grounds well maintained. Location perfect. Resort fee entitles you to many activities at no additional cost, such as snorkel, kayak, beach volleyball, tubing, and more. Pick-up service and airside lounge was very unique and great amenity. SPG status was recognized and upgraded to a a great suite.
1. Room was awesome, however it had a smell that resembled old cat/dog urine. I'm not sure if someone had a pet in there, or it was from humidity, but the smell was not good.
2. Spa: Looked forward to spa as I visit the Bliss spa's on a monthly basis. My favorite. This resort does not have a Bliss Spa, it is home away. The mani/pedi service was FAR from bliss experience. For the cost of that mani/pedi I could have done better myself. Spent more time taking off old polish than doing the new. No foot scrub or massage, etc. Just a very basic service.
3. Dining - Dining was not good. I had dinner reservations at the onsite hotel. It took over 1 ½ hours for meal to arrive. Then it was cold and dry, not very flavorful. (I had the most expensive Filet Mignon and Lobster). The waiter seemed like he didn't care. Was kinda rude and service was not all that great. However, when we talked to the dining manager, he informed us he had about 10 complaints just that evening from guests. The restaurant was severely constrained and he apologized. He then finished waiting on us personally, comp'd one of the meals and offered us drinks or anything to help rectify the issue. Manager did a great job trying to resolve the issue, but I just wish it didn't get to that point.
4. Wet Deck @ night - Not a complaint, but a bummer. I stay at W's all over the country on a weekly basis. I'm used to the nightlife scene at W Bar and especially the Wet Deck. I was looking forward to Wet Deck having a nightlife, music, people hanging out and partying. Didn't happen. The WET deck closed down when sun went down. Bar wasn't open, no body outside, all the lights was out. Resort was dead. I would think have the pool bar open and some music would be nice to mix and mingle in the evening.
Other than that, the resort is fabulous. And I look forward to staying again.
February 18, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DeWolf Simply Spectacular
The Staff at the hotel all performed with great care, character,consideration and dedication to ourselves as guests and the W brand as a whole. Very impressive! This resort is top flight and possibly the only resort in the world where a small pile of horse manure upon the grounds is chi chi some how. Best vacation for ourselves in recent memory. Thank-you W Vieques.
March 2, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by NicoleOsh WOW!
Just stayed 5 nights in February 2014 and had an amazing experience. Everything about our stay was flawless. We loved the Super Bowl party on our first night of arrival and the B&F service exceeded out expectations for breakfast, poolside, cafe and dinner at Source. I would absolutely come back! I still have so many beaches to try.
February 13, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by tori12 Hotel in paradise
We had a good time here. Love the decor, relaxation and all the amenities that they offer. The staff was wonderful, made you feel very comfortable. My only complaint was that they allowed a dog at the restaurant. I have no problem with a pet friendly hotel, but unless it's a handicap dog it should not be allowed. In dining area. A couple called there attention and no one addressed it. When I saw the dog sitting on a chair and they were feeding it off the table I said something and still nothing was done, actually they brought dog to breakfast next day, that's when I walked out.
February 4, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by AES2014 Has potential
The grounds are beautiful, and so are the rooms. It's almost everything you want it to be. But, why was there only one bar of soap in the room when there was a sink that was separate from the shower which was separate from the bath tub? The toiletries were not replenished until the day before I left and then they didn't replace the shampoo. I hung my towels up everyday, and everyday they took my towels and didn't replace them until the next day. When I spilled water on the floor, I grabbed a hand towel to mop it up and the towel turned brown...I had never walked on that part of the floor as it was next to the bath tub. There is a complimentary bottle of water in your room, for two people, and they don't replace it...but when I asked at the front desk if you only get one complimentary bottle of water, they said no. That night they replaced the water, but it didn't happen every night. We had 3 rooms between us, and the first night we were there one of the rooms came back to chocolates when their room was turned down for the evening. That happened in their room one other time in the five nights we were there...the other two rooms never got chocolate! There is complimentary coffee in the morning until 10...the cups they have at the coffee pot are very small, ~6oz, and there are no lids. By the time you took it back to your room it would be cold. At night there is a free drink from 6 - 6:30...again it's a small cup and your only allowed to have one. I know these are little things, but it's the attention to these little things that make or brake ones opinion. For the amount of money one pays to stay here, these things should not be happening. Would I recommend this hotel...if you don't mind calling the front desk everyday, I'm thinking they would fix all the little things...it is a beautiful place and there is nothing else like it on Vieques.
February 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by FP1955 Magical!
WOW!. I would love to keep this place a secret -- but it was so spectacular, we cant. We are well travelled -- and our expectations were guarded. The property, the staff, the "vibe", the friendly, efficient staff, .. was FAR BEYOND what we expected! We travelled with our 21-yr old daughter and a friend and had 2 oceanfront rooms. We had a jeep, but really didnt want to leave the property! we did leave the W for a few local restaurants.. but even that wasnt necessary. We cant wait to return and we will!
January 21, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Travelhound Staff is great but Food service was poor and
1) The hotel should have notified guest prior to their arrival that certain areas of the hotel were going not going to be accessbile due to a 40 person wedding. the set up crew for the wedding arrived behind our room at 1230am and was up all night with noise 2) the leak in our room from the pipe above was terrible and could have damaged our belongings 3) the food and food service was horrible. A simple a hamburger could not be made properly. Many other Platinum guests were complaining about the food quality and price 4)Poor lighting at night. I saw 3 people fall down from the uneven paths 5) pool area was dirty with lots of hair on the chairs, staff was told by many but nothing was done 6) Staff members- kudos to Arelis- she should be in management, Iris, Nicole , Wade, Henry and the new F&B manager as they made things better.
December 7, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5 by JgVargas Awesome time!
My family stayed at this W Hotel for a couple of days in December and we had a great time. If you really want to have a nice and quiet vacation and retreat yourself from the everyday routine then, this is the place to go and stay! All the facilities were great. Everywhere you walk, you could find a place to sit, lie down and relax. We stayed at the hotel the entire time since we just wanted to relax and have no schedule to follow for once! (We did do the bio-bay tour the first night and it was an experience to remember. We did the 8PM tour and there was no moon, pitch black perfect night!! We were amazed with all the stars on the sky and the luminescent lights on the sea. Definitely 'a must do'.)
The only down side of staying in the hotel is the fact that you only have one restaurant choice and it is a little pricey. There is a 'cafe' that we used for quick bites, coffee and breakfast sandwiches. The one thing I really have to mention is the customer service. All employees were always friendly and helpful but one of them went ‘above and beyond’. After we checked out the hotel, they provided us with transportation to the ferry and inadvertently I left my camera in the jeep. I did not realize that my camera was missing until the ferry was approaching to the pier. I immediately called the hotel and the receptionist said that she would send someone to the pier with the camera. I waited on the street where I could see both the road and the ferry fast approaching to the pier and with that the possibility of not getting my camera back in time. The ferry arrived and in a matter of seconds, big traffic congestion covered the small street and was going to make the delivery of my camera a mission impossible. So, I decided to go back to the line to get inside the ferry. To my surprise, the same employee that drove us to the ferry was walking from the ferry crowded line and when he saw me, he said that he already gave the camera to my wife. I was so relieved and grateful to this person. It turned out that he parked the car several blocks from the ferry and walked to the ferry in order to return our camera and our memories just in time. I thought that was amazing!! I called the hotel and let know the receptionist that this guy went the “super extra mile for us”. I asked her to make sure to tell their supervisor about this...but just in case she didn't say anything...his name is Georgie and employees like him makes a big difference. Thanks again Georgie!!! And to all the ‘W‘staff thanks for making our stay a very nice and memorable one!!
January 12, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by MichaelTS Amazing location, wonderful hospitality, beautiful setting
Simply put, the hotel and location is beautiful and the staff will typically go out of their way to offer you a great experience.
The rooms are simply, yet expertly, designed in a way that feels grounded to the island. Every morning we would wake up, watch the sunrise and feel like we're the only ones at the resort. Tranquility reigns king here.
The facilities were great, too. Good gym with options for morning yoga. Occasionally it'll get busy in the morning, but it's still a decent size and open 24 hours. The pool is great, too.
There are some standouts from a personnel perspective. Edgardo is one of the most helpful Welcome Desk reps I've ever met - he took GREAT care of us during our stay, from room requests to island-specific pointers. He was great. Veronica was the nicest person and most attentive of the staff poolside.
There is some improvement opportunity with the food, though. I'd expect nothing less than consistency, and at times we'd order a plate back-to-back but the food was different each time. Small things, too, like rusted metal in the salt shaker (from the cap), no French press coffee available, drinks were inconsistent, etc. The staff would typically work to remedy the situation, but at a place like this you'd expect it to never happen.
Now, would I go back again? You bet! I think the issues above are more representative of my expectations, not necessarily of the resort's capabilities. Personally, I would probably go during the off-season, when staff to guest ratio is a little more in your favor and, presumably, they're more engaged in upping the QA procedures.
Overall, a few key staff members and a great hotel make this place a great destination.
February 12, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Family0621 Stay at W Vieques
Although I did enjoy my stay, I feel that the staff was sub par at best. They were not friendly, not accommodating and did not meet the W standards I have seen at most of the W hotels I have stayed at. Although I would recommend this hotel to others because of it's amazing design and the beautiful surroundings of the island of Vieques, other than the concierge, I was less than impressed with your staffing.
November 9, 2011
Rated 3 out of 5 by Antonio W Vieques is a work in progress
We had a revenue stay last week. Honestly I can't say our experience lived up to expectations:
- W Shuttle took almost an hour to pick us up after calling from the ferry (we were told it would take under 20 minutes);
- We weren't offered the new SP Platinum benefits e.g. complimentary breakfast;
- Arrangements for dinner and transportation were not made as requested, adding stress to what should have been a relaxing stay.
The W is the only 5-star resort on the island, so its the only game in town and they know it. There are no real "public" taxis as the resort controls who can pick up/drop off at the resort. I don't mind paying the resort fee ($65.40 per night) IF the services are up to snuff!
March 22, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Normi My impression for me and my clients
I was thrilled to have the opportunity to visit the W and was quite impressed with the lobby, the reception and the eco friendly environment. The staff was exceptional and was always available to provide the best experience. The room was quite nice and spacious. In the evening is where i found a few issues that would make me reconsider sending specific clients. I found the lighting to be quite poor, e.g. i could not make out my room number and there was no lighting to the entrance of my room, hence i found myself walking up to the different rooms until i found my room. Also, in the evening, as i slept and wanted to go to the bathroom there was no visibility, so I found myself walking into the divider that separated the bathtub from the main room. I walked into the bathroom door and bumbped my head.
The restaurant was lovely, although I found the food not to be on par with the property. Apetizers were great.
All in all it was a lovely experience and look forward to returning.
February 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JKJKJK Fantastic!
Our visit to this hotel was one of the unexpected highlights of our trip to Puerto Rico! We have traveled to many hotels all over the world and the W on Vieques Island is extremely unique and enjoyable. The facilities are great but what sets it apart is the staff. All were very professional and friendly and were able to make us comfortable upon setting foot in the lobby until we left for the main island. There are so many things to enjoy on this island and the W is one of them!
February 2, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by sclh22 amazing grounds
We loved our stay at the W on Vieques. We were there a week and it was wonderful. All of the staff that we had contact with were very helpful. The one thing that seemed off was the fact that when the housekeeping staff came in daily they didn't leave more shampoo/soap, etc...or clean towels. We had to call daily to get those extra items that we were missing. Seems like it would be less work for the staff if the people in the room daily did that.
February 2, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by df14567 excellent
the resort is beautiful, with the usual W interiors. Excellent menu with adaptations of local foods. Blissful beach and pool side. The entire staff were friendly and helpful and professional. Very easy to get around the island, with a rental Jeep right on the site. Horses on the lawns by day and tree frogs in the trees by night.
February 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Brinks This place rocks, as of December 10, 2011 they fixed whatever you read about that was wrong
I was skeptical at first when I read the reviews about coming here, but they must have changed. Service was awesome. Everyone cared and did a fantastic job. Food was great and everyone was friendly and helpful.
And the resort is awesome. Rooms are huge, especially if you get an upgrade and the beaches are really queit and nice.
This is a great destination to hang at. We are more beach people than pool people so we stayed on the beaches the entire time and it was very quiet and relaxing.
I would highly recommend this resort. You will not be dissapointed.
December 22, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by DCMike Great Honeymoon Location
We chose the W Vieques for our honeymoon destination, and were not disappointed. It had the right level of high level resort quality we enjoyed mixed with the laid back nature of the island.
We used points for our stay, and were upgraded to an ocean view over the pool. The view was amazing. We visited the spa twice--I highly recommend the coco scrub followed by a massage.
The service was good; just understand it's island time, so the pace is slow. We always got what we needed and with a cheerful staff.
We really enjoyed the passion fruit mojitos (the best ones made by Angel, in my opinion). Sunsets were gorgeous from the beach and pool. It was a great place to relax and enjoy the rest of the island.
There is an Avis rental car right on property, and that's really convenient. Transfers to and from the airport are included in your resort fees. Every night at 6, they have a sunset sip, where the bartender makes a complementary drink for everyone who is at the outdoor fire pit. The concierge is very helpful booking off property events and reservations. We used them for dinner reservations and a trip to the biolumenescent bay.
We had breakfast at Mix on the Beach a few days; it's a very good meal.
The only misstep I'd say is the room service; I had a turkey club at the pool that was really good. I ordered the same sandwich at midnight one night and it was substandard.
Overall, great place! It's pricey, but it's what you'd expect for a W and a quiet island.
Oh, don't go here for nightlife, it's nonexistent. Go here to relax and be treated well.
April 7, 2012