Rated 1 out of 5 by LOCAL Not worthy of the W (or Starwood) flag
The good: restaurant and grounds.
The so-so: beach and tennis courts.
The bad: staff incredibly obtuse and rude. Yeah, I used obtuse.
The drama: way too much to go into here. Don't bother making plans as they will simply ignore or change them. Then, browbeat you or offend you in front of other staff and guests. Just plain horrible.
The upshot: None. Repeated requests to speak or interact with the GM of the property ignored, even when National Reservations intervened on my behalf. Waste of feedback time to National as they noted that this was not the first complaint. They were tracking the issues.
Good luck if you stay here. Just manage your expectations downward and you will be fine.
April 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by Anika512 WOW OCEAN FRONT RETREAT - the best suite ever
I completely fell in love with this hotel and this island. Everyone was so welcoming, it was the perfect getaway. I couldn't have asked for a nicer staff, from checking in at the front desk to my final interaction while being dropped off at the airport, first class service all the way.
December 9, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by KKlein They haven't figured out how to run this place YET!
Well first off the facility is really nice! Vieques island is beautiful. The better beaches are on the other side of the resort.
Now lets come back to the customer service piece which was absent for the hotel. Here's the recap of events:
1. They will charge you to flush the toilet if they could. Basically I am not sure what the resort fees is for. The island is pretty small, you would think that they would have some sort of shuttle or 2 mile radius pick up and drop off service but they dont. You either need a car or riculous $20 per person fees to get any where around there! The only thing free was the ride to and back to the airport.
2. We shceduled a tour for Bio bay the first night: A. we were not on the tour B. we were told that the tour will be charged to our hotel room but the tour told us they dont accept credit card payment. We were sent back from our tour embarrased since we didnt take any cash. To top that, the bio car that brought us back demanded money to bring us back since we didnt take the tour.
3. The hotel manager heard us complaining and offered to arrange the tour for next day. She also told us she will comp the tour (very nice of her) but the nect day when we got to the tour, we were not on the list AGAIN and they had no proof that the hotel will be paying them directly. We were again shamed in front of the whole group but they let us take the tour this time.
4. On the second night, water started seeping through the sick in to the room. I complained to front desk, they sent somebody who simply mopped the floor but the water was contantly pouring out.
5. When we returned that night, there was a small lake in our bedroom, the luggage and shoes were wet! we complained again and were told that the engineer is only available during day and will come back in the morning so we slept in our lake that night.
6. The next morning engineer shows up at 6:30 am in the morning and asks us to leave our room. So without a bra and dirty teeth, we were made to leave our room.
7. We go to front desk and they say our room will be ready in couple of hours. This is the time you would have offered free breakfast but they didnt. If this wasnt enough, they put us in a new room with 2 double beds. There goes our romantic couple vacation! I asked to be placed in a room with king bed and were told that nothing was available. I have a hard time believing that, sicne the last building we were put in was pretty empty. Plus we were moved from a pool oasis room to the furthest building from the pool.
8. We go back to pack our wet clothes and run into a nice chap (engineer) who was working in our room and informed us that there was a pipe break in the room. He was nice enough to offer to get our clothes drycleaned (we declined) and offered us to buy breakfast. He asked us to go to resturant and tell them to expense the bill to him
9. On 2 separate occasion, we were waiting for something at whatever/whenever desk and front desk, when the employees kept talking amongst each other like we were invisible and then walked away with each other. The person at whatever/whenever never acknowledged me till I had to interrupt her daily internet surfing session!
All in all, this resort sucks in customer service. They made our stay exceptionally uneasy and irritating. Not what you want on vacation! I dont want to deal with water leaks, moving to double beds, not getting booked for tours on a 3 day vacation! Plus the attitude of " its not my fault" doesnt help either! IT IS your fault!
Any ho, will give where its due, the resort is beautiful!
November 14, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5 by sebnem Great but not a place for kids - Hotel should make this clear
I traveled quite a lot and have been in several beach properties, from Maldives to Greek islands to view is organized under several titles for easy reference:
W Hotel Service: their slogan is "whatever-whenever and it literally is. Service was great, staff was very friendly, they never say "no" to any request."
W hotel location: It is on the windy side of the island. The otehr side is much calmer. Having said that to have a breeze when you are drinking your coctatil by the pool/ or your balcony is nice.
W hotel food: food is mediocre. One would expect better food (especially where there is not many other place that you can find decent food outside the hotel) there are several reviews mentioning food is expensive but what do they expect when they are in an island. all teh costs are higher in an island (whether it is a Greek island or an island in South East Asia) The resoruces are scarce and transportation is costly so the food is on the expensive side.
W hotel wi-fi: yes it does not work properly but who needs internet in a place like heaven
W hotel design: It is very nice, relaxing, romantic place. You can relax in one of the big chairs with a spectacular ocean view. Very nice choice of colors, furniture, design.
W hotel - kids: It was a great place however do not go with kids. it is not a kids place at all. My son was bored to death. there is no single thing for kids, no water fountains, no kids pool, no playgorund, no single activity. W should note this in theri website. I also specifically called the hotel before I go to ask whether they have nanny services. they said yes. however when I arrived, they provided me a local newspaper with an advertisement of a nanny and told me to call. they do not even arrange the nanny becaue they do not want to take any liability. How can I leave my child to someone from an island that I do not know.
Big mistake to go with kids. Otherwise go with your special someone and you would have your best romantic time.
island: there are several public beaches on the opposite side of the island. Those beaches ara mazing, stunning. So natural, no development. It is like heaven. A must go. And do not forget to reserve your rental car before you go becaue you would need it.
December 2, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by adamDW Amazing Property!
The W Vieques was everything that I could have possibly hoped for. From the moment we arrived at the hotel and were treated to a cocktail and canapes at the W Lounge at the little airport, to the smiling staff at the Welcome Desk, almost all of our needs were met. The only two issues that I would have is that the resort fee is a bit steep and the towels at the pool were not replenished nearly enough. That aside, the property is gorgeous, my masseuse gave me one of the best massages I've ever had, and the cocktails at Wet were divine. Highly recommend you check out this stunning property on this beautiful sleepy little island!
November 24, 2011
Rated 3 out of 5 by DrRod Over Rated
I travel about 60 nights a year so I am not writing as a novice when it comes to destination locations and quality travel. The island and property is very nice. In my opinion, this is below "W quality" (or even Westin) in several categories.
1. I am still wondering what is included in the $60.00 per person resort fee… No steam-sauna, no dry-sauna, no jacuzzi… The health club is smaller then most corporate hotels… the pool is very nice but very small for the amount guest.
2. The most disappointing thing is the advertised "high-speed internet" I am serious when I tell you that, "I am downloading ONE page-a-minute, at best." I have tried three different devices, a new iPad, Mac-Air and iPhone. When I have called the front desk, they just refer me to some internet tech support, (Like I want to be on the phone with their foreign-tech support, trying to diagnose their internet deficiencies.
3. In addition, the food are very, very overpriced for the quality you receive. I believe the dining menu prices here are equal if not more expensive then any 4 hotel in Paris or Manhattan. I've just returned from spending 23 days in both these cities and did not pay more for a lunch or dinner.
The good news is, my wife and daughter are happy to be here and that is very important to me. Thank you W.
November 29, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Ward2011 If I said it was average it would be generous.
Vieques is a beautiful island and the W property is awesome, but many of my positive remarks would end there as the customer service we received made it the worst stay I have ever had at a Starwood property. If you are planning to go there, still go because the island is awesome and should not be missed. However, be prepared to be met with horrible service...rooms were never cleaned, none of the staff ever smiled, the rates were so high, the staff ignored you a lot of the times when you had simple request; in all, it would have been better if it had not been staffed at all and we just had access to laundry and cleaning supplies to do things ourselves. Many of the guest that I befriended while there shared the same thoughts and I think many of them will be found by reviewing Trip Advisor's reviews for the property... I think you can have a positive experience if you know going in to not have high expectations on service and if you stay on site to sleep only...The bed is great for sleeping; I just wish it would have been made or freshened up during my time there.
November 25, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by Debbie102 Beautiful, beautiful place for a peaceful vacation!
THe grounds are beautiful, the decor is modern and clean, and the views are amazing! The horses that roam that property make you feel like you are someplace far away from civilization, yet all the amenities are at your doorstep. The staff was very courteous. The food at Mix was very good, but it's not the only option on the island. We rented a car right on property and got to visit gorgeous white sand beaches around the island. The concierge arranged the Biobay kayak tour for us and we paid less than the other non-W guests who were in our tour group. The room was great, but the lighting could be improved. Also the suite did not have a full length mirror, even though the regular room does! Overall, it was a great stay and I'd definitely go back again!
December 7, 2011