Rated 5 out of 5 by Tony84 Amazing Hotel!!!
I do not particularly take the time to sit down and write a review about my experience, but after my stay I felt obliged to do so. This was my first time staying at The W in Scottsdale and I loved everything about it. I loved the ambiance, smell, decor, and how the W emits class! I felt like I was a king and was treated with the utmost respect from all of the staff. I have become a fan and will highly recommend this place to others and I am looking forward to staying at the other W locations.
I would also like to personally express my gratitude to one associate specifically. His name is Sean and he was the associate that assisted me when checking into my room. Sean exemplified world class customer service. I liked how he was friendly, and very impressionable after a very brief time of interaction. He displayed exceptional customer service and the W has definitely hired and trained a great staff.
June 23, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by marksleepless good location
The hotel was more like a wild fraternity party on the Saturday night I stayed.
June 23, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by docalex Don't understand why anyone would ever come back...
I paid a fortune for a "suite" that has no bathtub, cheap college furniture, and only one drawer to place clothes. Heated towel racks? How about NO TOWEL RACKS!? The rooms are reminiscent of an old school dorm room. Bed in the middle of the room with no furniture and just a bunch of stuff on the floor that is for sale. The hotel is "trendy" to the point of having no creature comforts at all. The lobby is beautiful, and the pool is gorgeous and turns into a giant night club at night. Sleeping there is like trying to sleep in the middle of a night club. A great place if you are looking for a "hookup" and a one night stand, but not a place for professionals or anyone who has ever stayed at a truly nice hotel. Service is impeccable in a true starwood manner, and the people are great, but upper management is clueless. Whomever thought it was ok to charge a fortune for a room WITHOUT A TUB was WRONG. Whomever thought it was ok to charge for CLEANING in addition to the room charge was WRONG. Charging for internet WRONG. Charging for PARKING??? REALLY? AT SUITE PRICES? The "added charges" added $200 to the nightly room price. RIP OFF was the theme of the stay. I would never come back, and I don't understand how anyone would write a good review of this chain. People who like this hotel either got lucky at the bar or simply have never stayed at a nice hotel and have nothing to compare it to.
November 9, 2011
Rated 3 out of 5 by FrequentTraveler13 ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT I EXPECTED FROM THIS W!
I love the W Hotels and wanted to revisit this W as a part of my SPG Mission to stay at least one night at EVERY SPG hotel, covering all 9 brands within the United States,
1. W. INSIDER: RACHAEL, I cannot thank you enough for everything that you did for me. Rachel was in touch with me even before my arrival. She sent me an email with her contact details and personal cell phone. She was in constant communication with me. Upon my arrival on Friday, December 6th, 2013, she personally welcomed me and gave me a tour of the W and even brought free drinks. She personally escorted me to the bar located by the swimming pool and gave me a tour even though it was chilly outside. She researched and gave me printouts pertaining to elite movie theaters, regular theater and fine dining. She even booked dinner reservations at MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE for me plus arranged for transportation for me to be picked up from the airport and from MASTRO'S when I was done with dinner. I also want to thank RACHEL for my in-room amenity, free drink coupons, free ice skating coupons and my welcome card. MY MOST POSITIVE INTERACTION WAS WITH RACHEL AT THIS SPG Hotel.
2. TRANSPORTATION: I landed at PHOENIX SKY HARBOR International AIRPORT and JAMES from the W picked me up. He was very courteous and waited for me at the airport even though my flight was 30 minutes late. JAMES was very pleasant to interact with and was very intelligent with extensive knowledge about the area and the SPG Program and properties. JAMES also picked me up from MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE after I was done with dinner. The ride from the airport will cost you a flat rate of $45-not bad for a cool ride.
I also want to thank ADAM for driving me from the W to MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE.
3. HOTEL DECOR: This W is beautiful and you will love the decor once you enter the hotel.
4. LIVING ROOM: Well maintained and great service. The bartender girls are very courteous and extremely beautiful. On weekends you can capture a glimpse of celebrities at this hotel. The most beautiful ladies can be found in the living room on the weekends.
5. LIVING ROOM BAR: I want to thank MICHAEL-the bartender for being extremely courteous and doing an excellent job in spite of being extremely busy. Thank you for everything that you do MICHAEL.
6. HOUSEKEEPING: I want to thank RAYMOND for being super nice and getting me extra towels and shower products to my room.
7. ROOM MINIBAR CHECKING ATTENDANT: On my day of checking out HATIDZA checked my minibar. She was the most courteous lady ever and did an excellent job. Thank you for everything that you do HATIDZA.
8. POOL AND ICE SKATING RING: This W has a very cool pool and ice skating ring adjacent to it. You can rent a cabana if you wish.
9. WHATEVER/WHENEVER: Thank you RYAN for being very helpful and courteous.
10. CHECK OUT: Thank you JOHN for being efficient and assisting me.
1. CHECK IN NIGHTMARE: I arrived at the W and was very happy to get there as the Ws are my favorite brand. KATIE was at the front desk and was very courteous but had NO CLUE about how to check me in. She informed me that the system would NOT ALLOW HER TO CHECK ME INTO THE HOTEL. She indicated to me that that she would have to consult with her supervisor. She disappeared for a long while while I just waited at the front desk. When KATIE returned she had LEON with her who also had a tough time checking me in. It too a VERY LONG TIME for LEON to figure out how to check me in. He was assisted by MATT (From the Great State of Ohio). MATT was very courteous and engaged me in conversation while KATIE AND LEON took their time trying to figure out how to check me in. You have to be kidding me guys. It is not appropriate to waste the time of guests who may be hard pressed for time with such longish check in delays. I almost missed my dinner reservations at MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE. I have never encountered such a check-in delay at ANY of the numerous SPG hotels that I have been to across the United States.
2. IN-ROOM AMENITY: RACHEL, the W. Insider had very graciously arranged to have a special amenity delivered to my room before my arrival. She was shocked to learn that I had not gotten it. She immediately rectified the issue. This just demonstrated poor organization on the part of staff. But I am very thankful to RACHEL for everything that she did for me.
3.WHATEVER/WHENEVER; Poor service from TAYLOR and KATIE (who had checked me in). When I spoke with KATIE on the phone, I asked her if she was at the front desk as she had checked me in. She responded by telling me that the front desk and the whatever/whenever desk were interconnected. I was getting the feeling that she thought that I was completely unaware of the front desk and Whatever/Whenever operations. It made me feel like a dumbo. But KATIE was over all very courteous in her conversations with me.
4. UTTER HUMILIATION/POOL ACCESS SECURITY DISASTER: I was in the living room on Saturday December 7th, 2013 and wanted to access the pool area. There was a security person guarding the stairway entrance to the pool and bar area. When I tried to access the pool, I was abruptly stopped by the security agent who asked for my ID. I provided him with a US Govt issued ID and he refused to recognize it as a valid ID. He stated to me that he could not locate a date of birth on my ID as such HE DENIED ME ACCESS TO THE POOL AREA AND BAR. I approached the front desk agent, ARIEL and explained the situation to him and wanted to talk with a supervisor. ARIEL did not assist me at all nor was a supervisor called. I WAS DENIED ACCESS TO THE POOL AREA/BAR even though I was a guest at the W.Scottsdale. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HUMILIATED AT ANY SPG HOTEL DURING MY ENTIRE SPG MEMBERSHIP LIFE.
5. CCOL CORNER SUITE: I used my SUITE NIGHT AWARDS to upgrade. The cool corner suite is cool with the following flaws.
A, The sink does not drain efficiently and floods.
B, The shower takes a long time to dispense HOT water.
C. You cannot sleep until after 0200 hrs on the weekends secondary to SUPER LOUD MUSIC. The room is not sound proof but does have a great private balcony.
6. CHECK OUT PROCESS: KATIE was again at the front desk and even though she is very sweet and courteous, she has no job efficiency. There was a $8 parking charge on my account even though I had been charged $26 for overnight parking. KATIE was kind enough to take the $8 charge off and instead of adding $8 to the cash that the hotel owed me she SUBTRACTED the $8 from the cash amount. I have been through many hotels in my life and I immediately pointed it out to her. She responded by stating that she was not sure why the system made such an error. But this is COMMON HUMAN SENSE. She consulted with JOHN who then efficiently dispensed the cash that was due to me.
7. MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE: Located nearby, overpriced, great steak, poor service.
1. Staff needs better training.
2. EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE needs to be improved.
3. Loyal SPG-75 AND SPG-100 members who LOVE the W brand should NOT BE HUMILIATED BY SECURITY GUARDS and DENIED ACCESS TO HOTEL POOL/BAR.
OVERALL: AVERAGE experience but I still love the Ws and this is still one of my FAVORITE Ws. I will not let one absolutely humiliating experience deter me from coming back to Scottsdale.
Thanks again to all the staff members who helped me out. You all did a great job and the others who did not I still want to thank you for trying your best.
December 10, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by marsmc888 Memorial Weekend 2011
I stayed here for a night over Memorial weekend and had a pretty decent time. It's difficult to give a star rating here because some things were great and some things were pretty bad, so I ended up with middle of the road...
1. My first server of the day at the pool, a cute brunette, was all smiles & friendly. She wasn't hovering but just seemed to appear when I was ready to order another drink. Her recommended mojito was very good.
2. Location, Location, Location
3. There was a really cool bellman who helped me with my bags when I arrived and again when I checked out. He retrieved an item I had left at the pool from lost & found and was just all-around nice to chat with.
1. My 2nd server lost my ID. LOST MY ID on Memorial Weekend. Can you imagine how much fun it was when I tried to go out in the city later?
2. My tiny room had a lovely view of a rooftop full of trash.
3. The pool was gross. Why in the world would the W sell tickets to outsiders to lounge at their pool when they already had a full hotel of paying guests? I felt completely cheated out of a lounge chair, good service, and some measure of exclusivity by their decision to let every local with $20 squeeze in to the midget-sized pool.
Frankly, I think 3 stars is being pretty generous for this experience.
October 21, 2011
Rated 2 out of 5 by Nicole Staff is rude and stuck up
I was here for business and I always stay at Starwoods. The staff always were huddled together and barely ever said hello when I would walk by., just stare and make me feel uncomfortable There were a lot of Bachelorettes and a bachelor parties so it was super loud at night. The lobby turns into a big scene at night so don't plan on walking by unless you are dressed up or else everyone stares at you.. Over all I was super disappointed. The staff just had a too cool attitude. I didn't feel like they were professional. I won't be coming back.
May 4, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Panch Great Experience Overall
This is by far my favorite hotel in Scottsdale. The location can't be beat, the rooms are great and the staff puts it over the top. I've stayed at several W's but this one routinely gives me the best experience. The concierge gave me a great running route, the bartenders make solid cocktails, and Shannon the new W Insider went above and beyond to make the entire stay enjoyable, not just my time at the hotel. She even gave my friend, who had just moved there and met me for some drinks, an overview of all the main spots based on what he liked. Also, the pool scene here is pretty incredible.
July 24, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Headlakeman Not what I was expecting
Beautiful hotel. Sushi restaurant was great....location was perfect. Plenty of restaurants/bars to walk to. Don't plan on laying out at the pool on a weekend...they open the pool to the public (with a charge) so good luck with that one. Wouldn't hurt if the employees would smile and act like they were glad you were there....kind of had that "to cool for school attitude". Asked for a upgrade when checking in...she said no without even checking the computer. I called and acted like I wanted to book a room and they had several rooms above the category I booked...imagine that!
April 9, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Tr1911 Needs Work...
As a frequent traveler and a pretty good Starwood customer I expect much better. Guests were unruly and I didn't get any sleep. Getting breakfast was impossible, and room quality was poor at best. I was pleased that the staff immediately addressed my concerns about the noise the next day. But, I expect much more from the W. I also expect better quality for that kind of rate. If you're not there for the lounge or pool, don't wast your time...
November 18, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by LAK415 Above and beyond
I'm a huge W fan, but the Scottsdale staff was really excellent. They called me by name as I walked through the front desk area multiple times and, since it was my 25th stay, they even put a bottle of wine and a personal note in my room.
We also decided last minute to hike camelback and the nice concierge found us a bag and like 10 bottles of water to make sure we were ok in the 106 degree heat. How thoughtful!
Will definitely be back.
June 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by 4thPeriod GREAT JOINT
No place else to stay in great Phoenix area. Did a one night hit while covering Coyotes hockey game and was worth every minute of drive across the Valley to stay at property. From the time I checked in (thanks to Chris from Philly at front desk for early check-in) to the moment I departed, it was an enjoyable and comfortable stay. My list of hotels in Phoenix is now reduced to one.
May 17, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by DrAJ31 Plenty of inconvenience
The hotel has no Taxis available. The poolside beds and tables are also for general public as well which add to the inconvenience for guests staying at the hotel but not having a place to sit by the pool. Noise from other rooms, hallways and groups.
June 8, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nada50 Perfect!
Had a girls night out and stayed at the W. The hotel was perfect. LIvely, energetic, great people watching. Ideal location for meandering about Old Town Scottsdale.
June 9, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Erin Not one of the better W's I've stayed at.
Multiple issues during my stay. One morning there was no hot water. Another they had removed the bathrobe from my room and no one at the front desk would pick up the phone to bring another. Yet another day I walked in to find my heat had been turned down 60 degrees. Likely won't stay here again.
February 15, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by 471cc Late nights
The actual hotel was great but the guests across the hall were out of control from 6pm through 3am. Perhaps this is standard with a stay at the Scottsdale W, but I would have expected management to ensure that this was also the expectations of other hotel guests who were kept up all night.
August 14, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by businesstraveler36 Bring your ear plugs
Kids running down the hallway partying and screaming late at night.
Inappropriate guests rolling in and out of the rooms at night and in the morning.
Staff needs to do a better job with Security. Seems as if they are more interested in their night club rather than their guests.
December 17, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by 123Andy123 Don't stay at this hotel if you want to sleep
As a platinum SPG member I knew what I was getting into when I checked into a W. A high energy hotel.
Because of that I requested a quiet room at check in. During the second night of my stay there was a very loud party next door. The management "tried" to get them to quiet down. When that did not work they offered me free breakfast.
Since they could not get the room to quiet down I ended up giving up on sleep and checked out at 3:30AM. At this point they were very apologetic and offered me coffee…really?? Coffee because I could not sleep?
The bottom line is this is not a hotel for business travelers who want to be able to sleep. The hotel just doesn't seem to cater to us.
May 16, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by LoyalStarwoodGuest Loyal Starwood guest - Expected much more
I have been a loyal Starwood guest since 2006. I have an American Express Starwood Preferred Guest credit card, which I use regularly; I have stayed 300+ nights in Starwood hotels over my years of both professional and personal travel. My wife and I own a timeshare through the Starwood and have maintained elite status since 2006.
Never in my experience with Starwood have I ever encountered a situation like this. During my stay at the W Scottsdale the weekend of February 1, 2014, I was immediately accused of 100% responsibility for damage to the hotel room, which in my opinion, and evidence that I obtained supports was completely accidental. My credit card was charged for the damage without my authorization. The Director of the Welcome Desk was completely unreasonable when attempting to come to a mutually agreed upon form of resolution. I was never given the courtesy of receiving a reason or how it was determined I am responsible for 100% of the financial burden of the damages. The only answer I received was ‘I’ve reviewed the security report and I cannot remove the charges’. Throughout the process, I was never given the benefit of the doubt and constantly had to explain my innocence, rather than discuss a reasonable resolution. I found this to be offending, as a guest who has been so loyal to the Starwood brand.
I’ll be assessing whether I’ll be staying in a Starwood property ever again, both for personal and professional travel, after this experience.
February 11, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by GroupTrip Poor Customer Service - Still Dealing With Billing Issues
Have spent way too much time on the phone dealing with this reservation. My reservation was initially lost and took hours to reestablish. I had provide billing directions which were not followed. I had given names for people in each room which were lost. Now I am sorting through credit card billing issues. Way too much of my time wasted.
Albeit very nice facilities.
June 4, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Traveler12a Great facility but terrible service
Manager on duty was extremely rude and not interested in helping with incorrect bill at time of check out. Made a great hotel not very welcoming. Sushi restaurant at property was very tasty. Rooms were well done and extremely clean.
November 30, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Sheena1221 Hotel need help
After staying at this hotel in December 2013 and already having a bad experience I received an email from a manager to stay again with a free upgrade to a suite. The night I needed to stay they did not one of the cheaper suites available that I could upgrade to so I booked the marvelous suite online and prepaid the $762 room fee. I then got an email letting me know he would be reducing the fee to $700. Upon arrival to the room we noticed that the rooms tech. system was not working. The surround where you put you Iphone into was not working and we had the building supervisor look at it and he confirmed that the whole system was not working. That was not the end of it the rain shower also was not working and neither was the tv in the bedroom. The outdoor patio had spilled stains and cigarette butts all over and you could tell that was not cleaned as well. Later that night upon returning from dinner I had to wait to get back into the hotel due to the bouncer making us wait while he checked ID's of people going to the bar. All in all I have never had such a terrible experience. I have stayed at many W hotels and this one on both stays have been terrible.
April 22, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by NikkoM Weekend Stay
This is my 6th time at the W Scottsdale. I generally love the hotel but find some of the male staff/bouncers to be overly rude.
On this occasion, I arrived at the W at 6:15 pm and my room was not ready. It was not until approximately 8:00 pm that I received a call informing me that my room was ready. I really got nothing from the front desk other than "I'm sorry, but your room is not ready." I was expecting her to be a little more apologetic and perhaps comp me a drink or appetizer while I waited for the room.
Most bothersome were the men working at the pool. My buddy and I had golfed earlier in the day and arrived at the pool around 1:30. We hung out with friends and laid out by the pool. While my buddy was laying out he fell asleep. One of the pool guys came over and said he was not allowed to sleep. We thought he was joking. And then wondered how he could tell the difference between the guests who were sleeping and those who were merely laying on their backs. I then dozed off a bit later, which is what people generally do when they lay out near a pool, and the same gentleman came by and kicked my lounge chair telling me to wake up. The explanation we were given is that the pool is a bar and that you are not allowed to sleep at bars.
Of course, most hotels with pools serve drinks poolside. So, according to his rule you are not allowed to sleep at any hotel pool because it is not a pool, it is a bar.
May 23, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by Active Adequate
hotel itself, as with most Ws was very nice and chic.Very understaffed at the front desk. Not exceptionally nice. not worth the price.
Its a 4 star rating, but not 4 star value. I would stay at the phoenician over this hotel 10 out of 10 times.
not bad for a night- but not much to offer for an extended stay at all. Pool area was comfortable, but not inspiring at all. spa was very small and limited.
Really just a vanilla hotel with some W bells and whistles dressing it up. Roku sushi was very good, and a nice scene as well.
March 11, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Leon1971 My Home Away From Home!
Is it possible for a property to exceed your expectations in every possible way? YES!!!
The W Scottsdale is one of my favorite properties. I would recommend this place with full confidence to the most discriminating travelers.
Disclaimer: If you're not out to have fun, be social and feel like a VIP, this is not the place for you.
Can't wait until my next trip to the W Scottsdale!!!
May 29, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by J2003 Very disappointing
This hotel has all the keys for a nice stay but severely lacks when it comes to making people comfortable. We checked in around 5:00 for a nice night away with friends. Had dinner at Sushi Roku where the staff was not very pleasant or eager to make things work for a large party. Food was so so. The atmosphere was great, fun music, lively audience, fun place to party. After enjoying ourselves all night by the pool, we went to bed at around 3am. By 6 am, the small window in the shower lit up the entire bedroom like a giant light orb making me feel like I was laying outside in the sun. I don't understand why they bother with blackout shades in the room when this window is open to the sun. All the glass in the rooms is frosted which makes it glow even more than normal. Worst part about it is that they have a waterproof blackout curtain designed specifically for this window, but don't warn you ahead of time to ask. I had to call down to the desk at 6:30 in the morning and wait for a stranger to come in while standing in my robe to fix it. This hotel does NOT go out of it's way to make you comfortable. They even warn you ahead of time of the late night noise and activity. You would think they would like to make their guests comfortable the next morning by anticipating the need to sleep in.
June 2, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by cdpetrosi Our MDW tradition
We love coming to this hotel for MDW!!! The staff is awesome and the pool parties are fabulous! The pool waitresses Mallory and Alyse are the bestest! ... Totally recommend Sushi Roku happy hour / dinner.
May 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by SFGuy For A Rocking Good Time
I just completed a five week stay at this property for work and pleasure. During the week I would work out of the hotel. and on weekends I would unwind with friends. This property is able to cater to the business crowd while also keeping the party going, which is very hard to do.
What really makes this property so great is their staff. They function like a well oiled machine and are always there with a smile and a solution if needed. I stay at W's on a weekly basis, and this staff is the best out there, hands down. I would like to call the talent out by name, but there are too many awesome people too mention as the whole team is phenomenal.
March 30, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by localjane high summer rate, tiny room, parking fees high
I was unimpressed with the w. paid reasonable amount for my room which was became almost unreasonable with taxes, then was charged an additional upcharge for my boyfriend and I to have our cars there overnight. also was greeted at check in with their "no in room no partying, no outside alcohol" agreement to sign. the most hospitable staff there were the downstairs bartenders serving us our overpriced cocktails. overall unimpressed with level of hospitality and perks received for price and being a starwood pref guest.
August 7, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by michaelmj80 my stay last weekend
I have been to this property many times and would probably go back in the future. Not many issues but, the pool area needs more umbrellas. Every time we visit the pool is the same problem, they never have enough umbrellas, I believe that they have a total of five which is not enough. Also security personnel at the pool is really uptight and I usually get treated with little respect by them. Always looking around and treating people like future shoplifters. Other than that no other issues that I can thinks of.
June 11, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by rcsgeorgia Great Mothers Day Encore visit
2 couples decided to take our spouses to the W for an "encore" the weekend after Mothers Day. We got there at 3:30 and enjoyed the pool & bar before heading to the Sushi Roku restaurant. Rooms were what we expected - awesome and nice size. The hotel is a great facility - just get rid of the requirement to use your room key in the elevator to get down to the ground floor. Staff was great, especially Nick at the Living Room bar. Dinner at restaurant was fantastic. Great menu, great service, yeah they were slammed, but great teamwork by the Mgr and staff to make sure food/beverages were timely. Looking forward to another visit.
May 22, 2012