Rated 5 out of 5 Exceptional customer service on last visit
W Union Sq has become my first choice hotel in NY for both business & leisure. On my last visit after speaking at a Mobile event I badly hurt my arm and shoulder on my way home close to the hotel, and couldn't have asked for better support from the staff. Helping me both by going to the pharmacy and delivering extra supplies to my room. I was back up and moving in days thanks to the responsiveness and help of the staff - wanted to pass on many thanks and see you again very soon.
October 19, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by JJF67 Great Location, Good Space
Nice hotel in the heart of Union Square -- so plenty of action without the overwhelming chaos of Times Square. Rooms have a lot of space - especially for NYC.The location is also convenient to both downtown and midtown activities so a good central point whether for work or touring the city.
October 18, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by J888 Excellent Customer Service and Prime Location
This was my one leisure stay of the year and I needed them to come through for me as a Platinum. They most certainly did. I received a nice upgrade and a lot of assistance from the front desk staff and the concierge team during the stay as well as from the welcome desk team in advance of the stay (thanks Mickey and Mary Kate). In addition, the housekeeping staff was stellar throughout the stay.
Union Square was the choice for me due to the quieter nature of the local neighborhood and the fact that there are real conveniences nearby, such as a 24 hour CVS and a Whole Foods Market. The big orange sign for the hotel was like a welcome mat and kept me oriented during my many late night walks home. Both of my rooms were clean and well laid out with great views and plenty of quiet at night.
October 9, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by jechho Good - but please fix the platinum breakfast!
All in all a decent experience. We were upgraded to a mega room on the top floor, which was okay since we asked for a quiet room. Not huge, but well above average for NYC.
We have stayed at this hotel several times, and EVERY time there has been a problem with the spg platinum breakfast amenity. This time, the platinum breakfast was a mess because the old restaurant now is gone, and the hotel has no agreement (yet) with the new, privately-run restaurant. The platinum breakfast is therefore via in-room dining only, and you cannot (as per their assistant welcome manager) choose anything else than the items on the platinum card. In addition, you must spesifically ask for yogurt and/or cereal if you want something else than their "Continental breakfast/Awake" (which consists of a pastry basket, OJ & coffee - a rather unhealthy carb-filled option). On both days we got wrong items when we called for breakfast, so the whole platinum breakfast experience was very poor. Why not give some credits for free use in the restaurant and honor your most loyal customers?
Also note that they are currently changing one of their service elevators. We were on a red-eye to Europe and wanted to sleep as long as possible the last day. Being on the top floor, we asked if we would be disturbed early in the morning. We were told that construction would not start until 10am. Guess what started at 830am?
Marc at front desk was very nice and courtious, most rooms are spacious - and the hotel has a great location. Other than that, I am not sure if it was worth 500 dollars a night.
September 13, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by FormerNYer W Disappointment
I'm a platinum member and regularly stay at Starwood properties. For some reason, W properties never fail to disappoint in some way. This most recent stay, however, was the worst one I've ever had. The problems included: no paper delivered 2/3 days, no complementary water replaced 2/3 days, the internet connection ($19.95 per day) kept going out and when it worked was slower than my 3G connection, no laundry bag in the closet, my bath mat was not replaced, some front desk associates were not ready for prime time, the gym had faulty equipment, and I had major problems with the restaurant (Olives). Other than that, everything was fine...I guess.
September 6, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by jechho Nice location, so-so hotel
- fantastic location, especially if you do not want or need to be close to the most touristy areas (Time Square etc) in Manhattan.
- comfy rooms.
- great follow up from managment after providing some feedback for the stay regarding their virtuoso amenities.
- variable service: No turn down service on day two, neither any newspaper. Found some garbage under the sink at the bathroom floor right after check in.
- only the window in the bedroom area seemed to soundproof (we had a suite). Be aware that noise is an issue if the room faces Union Square.
- air con pretty noisy (looked old)
- some attitude from staff. At check in, we asked if the room was in a quiet location. Answer: "Its New York, nothing is quiet here." Had to clearify that we of course knew that and that the question was if there was anything available on a higher floor (we got 11 out of 22) or if any of the sides were more quiet than the others.
- errors in the bill, but those were correct upon check out.
- I had to work hard to get the SPG platinum upgrade I am entitled to. Why does one have to ASK for this EVERY time at many SPG hotels? If the properties would just follow the SPG rules and upgrade proactively, platinum members could stop worrying about the begging/fighting/explaining the rules to front desk every time at check in.
- bar/restaurant is very popular and lively. Great choice for a pre- or post-dinner drink. However, the sound level does probably mean that the lower hotel floors should be avoided.
All in all, pretty expensive (normally 500 dollars ++) for what you get. But would probably return due to the unbeatable location if I could snag a decent rate.
November 20, 2011
Rated 3 out of 5 by primadonna132 Slightly disappointing
The hotel is absolutely beautiful-- chic, classy, and well-kept. However, we got a handicapped room and 1. did not ask for one and 2. were not informed that we were getting one. Our card keys were deactivated 6 DIFFERENT TIMES in one 24 hour stay. After visiting the front desk for the 6th time, security finally came and fixed the problem (which ended up being the lock itself-- not the things they tried to blame on us like storing it next to a cell phone, locking the door the wrong way, rubbing it against credit cards). When I had complained at check out, all they could give me was SPG points, no credit or discount or offer for another stay. Overall it was average and the price was way above average, so I would not return to this location.
July 8, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by amy08 front desk needs major improvement
At check-in, we were treated very rudely. We arrived at 1 and were told we would be called when our room was ready. At 2:40 we asked again,we were told in a very rude tone that the room was not ready and wouldn't be ready until 3. At 3 we went to the other man at the front desk and after a few minutes in the office he announced our room was ready. It should be, check-in is 3. So he flung our room key envelope at us and could not have been nastier. Time to look for a different hotel-we are SPG members so it is too bad.
October 31, 2012